UKC

Where to climg in Scotland with kids?

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 Job Greeve 12 Jan 2023

Dear all, this summer we (me, my wife and our two kids of 10 and 11 yo) plan to go to Scotland (we live in the Netherlands). Besides hiking and other outdoor activities I would like to see if I can do a simple climb (preferably multipitch) in Scotland.

I'm willing to buy a topo, but I wouldn't know where to start searching in Scotland. Could someone point me out one or more easy routes, (multipitch if possible) and preferably bolted (is that possible in Scotland?)?

We plan to travel to the Cairngorms, the area around Fort William and probably parts south of that due the where the ferry arrives.

Thanks in advance, Job Greeve

CurlyStevo 12 Jan 2023
In reply to Job Greeve:

There is some easy single pitch sport climbing in scotland but even that is mostly in locations people didnt want to traditional climb (natural protection) so tends to be in quarries or on less good rock. Multipitch I can't think of any good easy routes.

Single pitch you could ofc top rope but the highlands does have less single pitch climbing. Another option would be to do easy scrambles perhaps ridges on trad gear,.

Post edited at 22:24
 JLS 12 Jan 2023
In reply to Job Greeve:

Your destinations suggest you will pass close to these low grade bolted single pitch crags…

Comic Crag - Kingussie

Benny Beg

There isn’t much bolted multi-pitch to speak of really.

Post edited at 23:02
 alan moore 13 Jan 2023
In reply to Job Greeve:

Barn Wall Route on Aonach Dubh, East Face.

Curved Ridge, or several easier scrambles on Buachaille Etive More.

Or a bit smaller;

The Gutter, Secretaries Crack or Tricouni Slab at Polldubh, Glen Nevis.

None of these are bolted, however.

Andrew23 13 Jan 2023
In reply to Job Greeve:

I'm not sure if this is the sort of thing you are looking for (it's not multi-pitch in the mountains) but here's a couple of easy sport crags that might be within driving distance:

https://www.ukclimbing.com/logbook/crags/kirrie_hill-3904/

https://www.ukclimbing.com/logbook/crags/moy_rock_dingwall-3457/#maps

veteye 13 Jan 2023
In reply to alan moore:

I second Curved Ridge. It's good fun and runs past good interesting territory, with great views. You can also then end up on top of the Buchaille for a different descent.

I think that my son was probably about 9 years of age when I took him up Agag's groove, which he was able to do, but he was fairly phased by the exposure.

Again agree with Polldubh (Pine Wall Crag?).

Don't forget that all these venues will be well supplied with midges at this time of year, Mr Greeve.

What about a well planned early start and the Aonach Eagach in Glencoe? That gives an amazing mountain atmosphere.

TheGeneralist 13 Jan 2023
In reply to Andrew23:

I reckon you should bin the bolted stipulation. Most if the sports routes are there because the rock wasn't deemed good enough to climb before that point.  Ie the good routes were mainly done trad. There are if course many exceptions to this, but mainly in the higher grades.

To make the most of it just do easy trad. I was also thinking polldubh and The Gutter in particular.

stubbed 13 Jan 2023
In reply to Job Greeve:

I think you are better in Scotland to do some long easy scrambles rather than multi-pitch bolted routes. It's not really the right place for bolted routes so you wouldn't get the best climbs or make the most out of being in Scotland.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...