UKC

Brexit - Transition period to be extended

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 George Ormerod 17 Mar 2020

Reality closes in on the delusional Brexit fantasists sooner than we could have anticipated only a few short weeks ago.  From the Torygraph Europe Editor:

"As this week's Brexit talks formally canned, understand now top-level acceptance that UK WILL seek extension - just question of timing& choreography"

https://twitter.com/pmdfoster/status/1239949409439436808

In reply to George Ormerod:

Just looked at completely dispassionately, it's impossible to see now how Johnson can press ahead with no deal. When hundreds of thousands of businesses (those at least who have survived) will be on their knees economically when we eventually get out of this corona mess. Suddenly to thrust them into a un-renegotiated world of existing huge tariffs - like a final killing knife in an already major wound? Obviously complete madness.

One small silver lining to the bizarre situation of having this utter buffoon at our helm is that - because he has most of the right wing behind him - when he has inevitably to say this, at least there's some chance that they'll accept it/ take it on the chin.

Post edited at 21:26
 Billhook 17 Mar 2020

The government must be laughing at the public gullibility.   Lets bury the Brexit exit under a this new virus thing.

Doug 17 Mar 2020

Not what Dominique Raab was saying earlier today but good news if true

mondite 17 Mar 2020
In reply to Gordon Stainforth:

> Obviously complete madness.

Thats one way of looking at it. Another way is to think it will be a rather handy excuse. It would have been far worse if we hadnt had a hard brexit. Honest guv.

In reply to mondite:

Yes indeed, if the buffoon is bright enough to see this. It's almost like a gift to him, surely, given that the lying, opportunistic bastard only about four years ago was very strongly Remain.

In reply to mondite:

Perhaps I missed your point, but if I got it wrong you'll have to explain it to me very carefully, because its 'handiness' (i.e. long term benefit, both politically and economically) is opaque indeed.

Bacon Butty 17 Mar 2020

Is there any truth in the story that our mighty leader attended a dinner party somewhere, where he had a cast iron case prepared for both leave and remain, and he was persuaded to go for leave?

In reply to Taylor's Landlord:

One hears so many of those kind of creepy stories, most of which are probably sadly true.

mondite 17 Mar 2020

> Perhaps I missed your point, but if I got it wrong you'll have to explain it to me very carefully

I think you did but because you were being a bit optimistic.

He has boxed himself into a corner by doubling down everytime ending up with his hard brexit will be fine stance. So he could use coronavirus either to backtrack or, alternatively, he could double down again and blame the coronavirus for the mess caused by his brexit strategy.

In reply to Doug:

> Not what Dominique Raab was saying earlier today but good news if true

When have Raab or any of the other liars, incompetents and chancers been correct about anything in this whole shit-show?

Bacon Butty 17 Mar 2020

Just heard on the radio there is now over £300+ billion available for all this, on top of the promised £600+ billion recently promised.

A Trillion Great British Pounds. Must grow on trees

It's just terrifying and amusing at the same time, coming from the recent champions of 'austerity'. Can you imagine what they would have said if Corbyn had been in power doing exactly the same thing? Once we get past this government's sheer hypocrisy we have to think about the end results of this extreme 'quantitative easing' that we'll be faced with once we get out of this C-19 shit.

Dave Todd 17 Mar 2020

> Can you imagine what they would have said if Corbyn had been in power doing exactly the same thing?

But Gordon...it would be 'different'...

https://www.thedailymash.co.uk/politics/why-massive-tory-spending-is-differ...

We'd have an extra £200 Bn if we hadn't decided to leave the EU and we would still have preferential access to the vaccine if we hadn't decided to pull out of the EMA:

https://www.theguardian.com/world/2020/mar/14/coronavirus-vaccine-delays-br...

I wonder how many people will die for the Government's political dogma?

However for balance all is not sweetness and light in the EU COVID-19 response:

https://www.politico.eu/article/eu-aims-better-control-coronavirus-response...

> Is there any truth in the story that our mighty leader attended a dinner party somewhere, where he had a cast iron case prepared for both leave and remain, and he was persuaded to go for leave?

Whilst I'm loathe to be fair to de Piffle, creating arguments for both sides of an argument is a classic debating society trick. And we know what a big debater he is...

Post edited at 22:57

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...