UKC

Numbers that blow my mind

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 montyjohn 15 Jan 2024

Did you know there are believed to be between 100,000,000,000 and 400,000,000,000 stars in our galaxy. I find this mind blowing but I can just about hold it together.

Did you also know there are about 100,000,000,000,000,000,000,000 atoms in an average sized apple. It's a big number, but we expect it to be.

Now take a humble deck of playing cards. If you think about how a deck of cards can be stacked in many different orders. How many order options exactly?

Well, did you know that that there are roughly the same number of possible orders to stack a deck of cards as there are atoms in the known mass of our galaxy.

Still struggling to wrap my head around that.

x10^67

In reply to montyjohn:

8.07 x 10^67 Yeah, kinda nuts!

Maggot 15 Jan 2024
In reply to Alasdair Fulton:

The universe is only 436.117x10^15 seconds old.

jiminy483 15 Jan 2024
In reply to montyjohn:

I used to watch a lot of Star Trek when I was a kid, I thought it was amazing the way the zipped around the universe and all that. I watched a lore video recently on youtube and was dumbfounded to learn they never even left the Milky Way, not even Voyager!

lowersharpnose 15 Jan 2024
In reply to Maggot:

If you live to 85, you have 4420 weeks.  Tempus fugit.

Philip 15 Jan 2024
In reply to montyjohn:

> Did you also know there are about 100,000,000,000,000,000,000,000 atoms in an average sized apple. It's a big number, but we expect it to be.

That's wrong. You've written 1x10²³, which is the number of carbon atoms in ~2 g of graphite. What you wanted is 10²⁷ according to Google, but I think that is low more like 1.5x10²⁷ for a decent size apple.

Post edited at 22:51
 Philip 15 Jan 2024
In reply to montyjohn:

I had a card game for Christmas, annoyingly* called More or Less. You take turns to read out a pair of numbers and the other players guess if the second "fact" is more or less than the first. Eg more stars in the universe or grains or sand on all the beaches.

*Annoying as many of the questions should be More or Fewer.

https://www.moreorlessgame.co.uk/

Clwyd Chris 15 Jan 2024
In reply to montyjohn:

Yes, I read if you shuffle a pack of cards they will never have been in that sequence before, and never will be again ! 

In reply to montyjohn:

> Did you also know there are about 100,000,000,000,000,000,000,000

Is that the number one is supposed to count up to in the presence of unruly children...?

In reply to Clwyd Chris:

> Yes, I read if you shuffle a pack of cards they will never have been in that sequence before, and never will be again ! 

Not true. It's unlikely, but not impossible. That's probability for you.

Slackboot 16 Jan 2024
In reply to montyjohn:

On the subject of numbers which blow your mind the numbers involved in the difference between a million and a billion blows mine.

If you think of numbers as seconds then a million seconds is roughly 12 days. A billion seconds equates to nearly 32 years!

Better off by far to be a billionaire than a mere millionaire.

OP montyjohn 16 Jan 2024
In reply to Slackboot:

Millionaire peasants 

> If you think of numbers as seconds then a million seconds is roughly 12 days. A billion seconds equates to nearly 32 years!

This makes the half an hour sat in bank seem a bit lonely 

In reply to montyjohn:

Courtesy of McGill University

'It seems unbelievable, but there are somewhere in the range of 8x10^67 ways to sort a deck of cards. That’s an 8 followed by 67 zeros. To put that in perspective, even if someone could rearrange a deck of cards every second of the universe’s total existence, the universe would end before they would get even one billionth of the way to finding a repeat.'

wittenham 16 Jan 2024

as a total novice on stars, I found this a useful book:

https://www.goodreads.com/book/show/50884561-first-light?from_search=true&a...

Ciro 16 Jan 2024
In reply to TheDrunkenBakers:

> Courtesy of McGill University

> 'It seems unbelievable, but there are somewhere in the range of 8x10^67 ways to sort a deck of cards. That’s an 8 followed by 67 zeros. To put that in perspective, even if someone could rearrange a deck of cards every second of the universe’s total existence, the universe would end before they would get even one billionth of the way to finding a repeat.'

I think that they've been clumsy with their words there.

There's a 1 in 8*10⁶⁷ chance that the first reshuffle will be a repeat, and a one in a billion chance that the repeat will happen before the end of the universe.

mutt 16 Jan 2024
In reply to montyjohn:

can I offer up the reduced Plancks constant 1.05 * 10 -34 Js which is very small indeded

mind blowingly small but no way near as mind blowing as the the consequences of Quantum Mechanics at that scale. 

imo big numbers are somewhat mundane in comparison.

Petrafied 16 Jan 2024
In reply to montyjohn:

> Now take a humble deck of playing cards. If you think about how a deck of cards can be stacked in many different orders. How many order options exactly?

There's only 52!

ExiledScot 16 Jan 2024
In reply to montyjohn:

The number of trump supporters is still more mind blowing.

Lankyman 16 Jan 2024
In reply to jiminy483:

> I used to watch a lot of Star Trek when I was a kid, I thought it was amazing the way the zipped around the universe and all that. I watched a lore video recently on youtube and was dumbfounded to learn they never even left the Milky Way, not even Voyager!

I don't want to further disillusion you but they never even left California!

OP montyjohn 16 Jan 2024
In reply to Petrafied:

> There's only 52!

Nice

jiminy483 16 Jan 2024
In reply to Lankyman:

Ha! (I've got the like button switched off) 

OP montyjohn 16 Jan 2024
In reply to Philip:

I believe you are right. 

LastBoyScout 16 Jan 2024
In reply to montyjohn:

£37,000,000,000.00 on a Track & Trace system that didn't work...

OP montyjohn 16 Jan 2024
In reply to LastBoyScout:

> £37,000,000,000.00 on a Track & Trace system that didn't work...

Another one foiled by poorly counting zeros.

Track & Trace cost closer to £37,000,000

Maybe a better example is Horizon which cost £1000,000,000

or worse still, the failed NHS IT system that cost £10,000,000,000

Post edited at 10:43
 elliot.baker 16 Jan 2024
In reply to montyjohn:

Look up Tree(3) think that was on here a while ago. Apparently it's a pretty big old number. Then you can do Tree(tree(3)^....) Tree(3) times.

Watched a few videos on it but they just basically explain it's so incomprehensibly big it'd be impossible to right it down in standard form with all the atoms in the universe or something.

wercat 16 Jan 2024
In reply to montyjohn:

I have trouble visualising how far current time measurement is away from approaching the Planck time

DizzyT 16 Jan 2024
In reply to montyjohn:

Trying to explain Avogadro’s to my children I used salt. Approx 60g in one mole is ~10^23 molecules. Reduce it to 6g and that’s ~10^22. Use a yeast balance to weight 0.6g (not a lot) and that’s ~10^21. A single grain is roughly 0.06g which is ~10^20. Which is still a huge, huge number.

ThunderCat 16 Jan 2024
In reply to montyjohn:

'kind of' tying in with the number of permutations of playing cards, but more a probability thing...

I know that if I pick a random set of lottery numbers, it has exactly the same chance of winning as if I had picked 1,2,3,4,5,6,7.  It just seems very unlikely because I see order in it

I know this.  I know that 1,2,3,4,5,6,7 is as 'random' as 13,7,9,49,2,1,3

I know it, and I tell myself that I believe it.

But deep down, I secretly don't believe it.

Edited - I don't know if the lottery is still seven numbers between 1 and 49...it used to be, I think.

Post edited at 11:02
 Bottom Clinger 16 Jan 2024
In reply to ThunderCat:

> Edited - I don't know if the lottery is still seven numbers between 1 and 49...it used to be, I think.

it’s more, 59. I think their thinking was: lottery tickets sales reducing, but most people who play it want to be a mega millionaire (*) , so increasing the range will decrease the chance of winning and hence make the Jack pot bigger. 
(*) most people who dont play it would be happy winning a stack of cash but not mega millions, but this cohort is not their target audience, as they probable still wouldn’t play it anyway. 

Jimbo C 16 Jan 2024
In reply to Petrafied:

> There's only 52!

Yes, that's the number I thought it was 

Fat Bumbly 2.0 17 Jan 2024
In reply to DizzyT:

Avocado's number - how many particles in a Guaca-mole.

pete osullivan 18 Jan 2024
In reply to montyjohn:

'More or less' on Radio 4 dealt with this issue this week

broken spectre 18 Jan 2024
In reply to montyjohn:

Here's a surprisingly low number that will blow your mind...

How many times would you need to fold a sheet of paper for it's thickness to reach the Moon?

petemeads 18 Jan 2024
In reply to broken spectre:

About 40?

RX-78 18 Jan 2024
In reply to Ciro:

They are not talking about probability at all. Its simple permutations. 52 cards so possible unique arrangements is 52! = 8.0658 x10^67

Post edited at 15:16
 john arran 18 Jan 2024

That's pretty astounding.

But what I find even more astounding (and I don't know why it should be) is that the thickness after 103 folds would exceed the size of the observable universe!

https://wonderopolis.org/wonder/can-you-fold-a-piece-of-paper-more-than-sev...!

Ciro 18 Jan 2024
In reply to RX-78:

> They are not talking about probability at all.

Indeed, that's the problem.

> Its simple permutations. 52 cards so possible unique arrangements is 52! = 8.0658 x10^67

What they said was " To put that in perspective, even if someone could rearrange a deck of cards every second of the universe’s total existence, the universe would end before they would get even one billionth of the way to finding a repeat.'"

I think that's clumsy use of words, as they are not acknowledging the fact that whilst it's unlikely, the hypothetical person might, in fact, find a repeat before the universe ended.

To use an analogy with smaller numbers, it's like saying "if you asked a stranger to pick a random number between one and ten, then asked five other strangers to pick a random number between one and ten, you would be half way to finding a repeat" when in fact there would be a 50% chance you already had a repeat.

Shani 18 Jan 2024
In reply to elliot.baker:

Tree 3 is a good call as is Graham's Number. An explanation of both can be found on Numberphile (YouTube).

My personal favourite 'big number' is centered around the Rubik's Cube; any scramble can be solved in <=20 moves aka God's Number. I came across its partner - The Devil's Number, which is the fewest number of moves required to achieve every possible permutation. This number is big and currently unknown afaik.

Post edited at 18:23
 deepsoup 18 Jan 2024
In reply to Ciro:

> To use an analogy with smaller numbers, it's like saying "if you asked a stranger to pick a random number between one and ten, then asked five other strangers to pick a random number between one and ten, you would be half way to finding a repeat" when in fact there would be a 50% chance you already had a repeat.

The Birthday Paradox - if you have 23 people in a room together, there's a 50% chance that two of them have the same birthday.
https://betterexplained.com/articles/understanding-the-birthday-paradox/

And here's a real world mind-blowing (but surprisingly not quite as unlikely as you might think) coincidence - in September 2009 the Bulgarian national lottery drew the same winning numbers on two consecutive weeks: http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/8259801.stm

Derek Furze 18 Jan 2024
In reply to lowersharpnose:

Yep.  I always think that the average lifespan of 1000 months tends to focus the mind somewhat!

David Alcock 19 Jan 2024
In reply to montyjohn:

Re the pack of 52! cards and atoms in the galaxy, if you step up to the tarot pack weighing in at 78! cards, the number of variants is around  4,817,692,279,497,248,276,615,783,438,745,600,000 visible universes' worth of atoms.

Apparently one visible universe worth of atoms is around 57! - 58! or thereabouts.

Post edited at 01:58
 rka 19 Jan 2024
In reply to montyjohn:

If we live in a inflating torus shaped universe then its gravitional entropy (if we could count its microstates) must be greater than 3.26 x10^122. ( perimeter institute lecture by Neil Thurock youtube.com/watch?v=rsI_HYtP6iU&)

In reply to Derek Furze:

> Yep.  I always think that the average lifespan of 1000 months tends to focus the mind somewhat!

I felt OK about this until I realised how far through I am!

Derek Furze 19 Jan 2024
In reply to Wide_Mouth_Frog:

Indeed, and I don't think the last 250 come with guarantees attached.  At least, I can't find mine! 😂

alx 19 Jan 2024
In reply to montyjohn:

There is only one Donald Trump (thankfully)

wercat 20 Jan 2024
In reply to montyjohn:

This is not scientific but it blows my mind to think that the first episode of Dr Who I watched in 1963 (the repeated episode as I missed the first transmission with all the fuss about Kennedy going on) is

as far away in time from us now as

1903 was from me in 1963. 

That blows my mind, as well as the fact that this year is 120 years since my Grandad was born.

Post edited at 09:38
 Bottom Clinger 20 Jan 2024
In reply to wercat:

Similarly, the number of years between the end of the Second World War and me being born is about the same as the number of years I’ve dabbled on this forum!  

Lankyman 20 Jan 2024
In reply to wercat:

It's things like that that show how short human lifespan really is plus the phenomenal rate of technological change in the 20th Century. Take Yuri Gagarin's first space flight (1961)  and the Wright brothers' first powered flight (1903). We are now a longer span of time beyond Gagarin's mission than he was ahead of the Wrights.

If you take a historical figure like Julius Caesar who died in 44BC and consider the Biblical 'three score years and ten' lifespan then he's only separated from us by about 30 human lifetimes. We're only 6 lifetimes away from Elizabeth 1st by the same calculation.

Sean Kelly 20 Jan 2024
In reply to john arran:

Another very big number is found in the possible moves in a game of chess, 10 followed by 123 zeros! 

https://www.liverpoolmuseums.org.uk/stories/which-greater-number-of-atoms-u...

Post edited at 12:56
In reply to LastBoyScout:

> £37,000,000,000.00 on a Track & Trace system that didn't work...

It worked perfectly; it made £37,000,000,000.00 (or whatever the figure was) for someone's mates.

Post edited at 14:14
 Petrafied 20 Jan 2024

> How many times would you need to fold a sheet of paper for it's thickness to reach the Moon?

> How many times would you need to fold a sheet of paper for it's thickness to reach the Moon?

You'd need pretty thin paper (or absurdly long one) to manage the requisite number of folds.  For a long time it was generally believed that you couldn't fold a piece of paper more than 8 times. An American high school student called Britney Gallivan tested that and managed (I think) 12 folds, using a 4000' long piece of tracing paper.  Even more impressively, she worked out an equation that describes the minimum length for a piece of paper of a particular thickness for it to be possible to fold it n times. 

L=πt/6(2ⁿ+4)(2ⁿ-1)

​​​​​​

Post edited at 14:28
 broken spectre 20 Jan 2024
In reply to Petrafied:

Good wind up Sir! You almost had me there!

Tringa 20 Jan 2024
In reply to captain paranoia:

The magnetic field of magnetars.

Magnetars are neutron stars with extremely strong magnetic fields.

The magnetic field of the Earth is 30 – 60 microteslas.

The strongest manmade magnetic field is about 45 teslas.

The magnetic field of a magnetar is about 10,000,000,000 teslas.

At a distance of half the distance to the Moon the magnetic field of a magnetar would wipe the magnetic information from all credit cards on Earth and at 1000 km the magnetic field would distort the electron clouds of atoms and all life world be destroyed.

Fortunately the closest known magnetar is about 9,000 light year away.

Dave

Billhook 20 Jan 2024
In reply to montyjohn:

> Did you know there are believed to be between 100,000,000,000 and 400,000,000,000 stars in our galaxy. I find this mind blowing but I can just about hold it together.

Utter Tosh.  I went out and counted them last night - I thought there were 398,397,010,589.***

Did you also know there are about 100,000,000,000,000,000,000,000 atoms in an average sized apple. It's a big number, but we expect it to be.

Well!!  Bugger my cucumber.  I've just proved that estimate wrong.   I just ate a bite out of my apple....  Scientists, my a)(*e !!!  Must have been at least 987,000,000,000,000,000,000 atoms in that bite......

***  I've just spotted two new ones I didn't notice.   Add that to the score.

Post edited at 19:45
 Fat Bumbly 2.0 20 Jan 2024
In reply to Billhook:

You probably got caught by the Froggatstar (have you seen the scenery). It is actually a very tight binary.    Take it you have read The Three Pebble Problem?

lithos 20 Jan 2024
In reply to Ciro:

You are assuming rearrange=shuffle.

I think it's accurate as a shuffle is a random rearrangement, but you can have systematic  rearrangements

john arran 20 Jan 2024
In reply to lithos:

> You are assuming rearrange=shuffle.

> I think it's accurate as a shuffle is a random rearrangement, but you can have systematic  rearrangements

Ah, but a shuffle might not in fact be a rearrangement, if all the cards managed to end up back in their original order. What are the chances of that though? 1 in ~10^67 perchance?

Brass Nipples 20 Jan 2024
In reply to montyjohn:

There are more real numbers packed between 0 and 1 than there are natural numbers.  Both are infinite as well. Infinite comes in different sizes.

mbh 20 Jan 2024
In reply to john arran:

If after a thorough shuffle any arrangement is equally likely then the chance will be 1 in n! where n is the size of the pack. If the shuffle is imperfect, the chance could be zero - imagine actually doing the shuffle and stopping after first swap of cards.

mbh 20 Jan 2024
In reply to Brass Nipples:

> There are more real numbers packed between 0 and 1 than there are natural numbers.  Both are infinite as well. Infinite comes in different sizes.

That reminds me of  Hilbert's Hotel: a fully occupied hotel with an infinite number of rooms can still take on more guests, even an infinite number of them.

In reply to mbh:

Better tell Rishi about it; could be a solution to the asylum seeker problem...

john arran 20 Jan 2024

> Better tell Rishi about it; could be a solution to the asylum seeker problem...

They could call it the "Kigali Hotel" so those lefty ECHR lawyers wouldn't think it was in Rwanda.

wercat 21 Jan 2024
In reply to mbh:

It occurred to me that if you managed to "find" the longest infinitely long number in decimal it would be a fair bit longer writ in binary

JRS 21 Jan 2024
In reply to wercat:

> It occurred to me that if you managed to "find" the longest infinitely long number in decimal it would be a fair bit longer writ in binary

Does binary 1/0 = infinity count?

john arran 21 Jan 2024
In reply to wercat:

> It occurred to me that if you managed to "find" the longest infinitely long number in decimal it would be a fair bit longer writ in binary

And if you were to represent it in Roman numerals it would need an infinite number of different symbols.

Or would it?

I'm guessing that question doesn't have an answer.

Post edited at 13:00
 deepsoup 21 Jan 2024
In reply to wercat:

It would be just the same - infinitely long, but the same infinity not a bigger one.  Whichever base you're using you could write it by chalking one digit on each of the bedroom doors in Hilbert's Hotel.

wercat 21 Jan 2024
In reply to deepsoup:

it would be the same infinity value but it must be longer in digits.  How many pairs of walking boots would you need to chalk this number on an infinitely long blackboard?  Infinite?

Post edited at 14:15
 deepsoup 21 Jan 2024
In reply to wercat:

> it would be the same infinity value but it must be longer in digits.

It's more digits, but also the same number of digits.  I realise that doesn't make sense, but that paradox is really the whole point of the hotel analogy.  The hotel is completely full, but also has room to accommodate an infinite number of new guests.

> How many pairs of walking boots would you need..  Infinite?

Yup.

Ciro 21 Jan 2024
In reply to lithos:

> You are assuming rearrange=shuffle.

I think that's a reasonable assumption to make here

> I think it's accurate as a shuffle is a random rearrangement, but you can have systematic  rearrangements

You can have systematic rearrangements, but systematic means ordered, and therefore a tendency to repeat patterns. 

For a trivial example, you could rearrange by systematically taking one card off the top and putting it on the bottom, and you'd have a repeat in less than a minute.

It seems to me that you would have to design your system specifically not to repeat in order to cycle though all the possible permutations - and if that's what they were trying to say, they've been even more clumsy with their words than I first thought!

Petrafied 21 Jan 2024

> Good wind up Sir! You almost had me there!

I'm not a sir, and I don't understand your comment.  What part of my post was a wind up?

Post edited at 15:21
In reply to john arran:

> Or would it?

Just one single symbol, surely...?

john arran 21 Jan 2024

Which one would that be then?

In reply to john arran:

The lemniscate.

john arran 21 Jan 2024

Since when was that a Roman numeral?

lithos 21 Jan 2024
In reply to Ciro:

I think you know exactly what they were saying but are criticising their language choice. 

I disagree with you, as the kids will say, 'end of'

In reply to john arran:

> Since when was that a Roman numeral?

Since when did the Romans have symbols able to cope with the required number concept?

Or even zero?

Not that you can ever have enough symbols, Roman or otherwise, to represent infinity. Expect for something abstract like the lemniscate. So it's a bit of a pointless discussion, isn't it?

Brass Nipples 21 Jan 2024
In reply to john arran:

> And if you were to represent it in Roman numerals it would need an infinite number of different symbols.

> Or would it?

> I'm guessing that question doesn't have an answer.

What is zero in Roman numerals?

profitofdoom 21 Jan 2024

> What is zero in Roman numerals?

Nero

Closest they could get to it

Ciro 22 Jan 2024
In reply to lithos:

> I disagree with you, as the kids will say, 'end of'

🤣

Jon Greengrass 22 Jan 2024
In reply to Petrafied:

The paper is folded on the same axis each time, so it looks more like its been wound up. Folding where you alter the axis by 90 degrees each time is much more difficult as it actually requires the material to stretch.

Petrafied 22 Jan 2024
In reply to Jon Greengrass:

Does that disprove the equation(s)?  I don't claim to be a expert (or even especially knowledgeable) but it is a fairly well known piece of work and thought it might be of interest and relevance given the topic.  Perhaps I was wrong.

Post edited at 11:47
 Brass Nipples 22 Jan 2024
In reply to profitofdoom:

> Nero

> Closest they could get to it

Not a numeral is it, just like three is not a numeric digit 

wercat 22 Jan 2024

> Not a numeral is it, just like "three" is not a numeric digit 

is probably what you meant

And how you can slander three by comparing it with that scandalous Emperor is disgraceful!

Post edited at 22:26
 Wil Treasure 22 Jan 2024
In reply to mbh:

>That reminds me of  Hilbert's Hotel: a fully occupied hotel with an infinite number of rooms can still take on more guests, even an infinite number of them.

Although with Hilbert you aren't actually dealing with infinities of different sizes. They are both "countable" infinities. Cantor's proof of uncountable infinities existing is brilliant in its simplicity.

In reply to Wil Treasure:

> Cantor's proof of uncountable infinities existing is brilliant in its simplicity.

I assume that's the same as "the optimum number of bikes is always n+1"...?

nniff 23 Jan 2024
In reply to Slackboot:

The billion number that does my head in is this:

Ignoring inflation and interest and all that stuff, if you had been putting £1 million in the bank every year since the Norman Conquest in 1066, you still wouldn't be a billionaire....

Tringa 23 Jan 2024
In reply to nniff:

> The billion number that does my head in is this:

> Ignoring inflation and interest and all that stuff, if you had been putting £1 million in the bank every year since the Norman Conquest in 1066, you still wouldn't be a billionaire....

Yes. Its like if you counted at a rate of one per second.

It would take about 11 and half days to reach one million but nearly 32 years to reach a one billion.

Dave

OP montyjohn 23 Jan 2024
In reply to Tringa:

> It would take about 11 and half days to reach one million but nearly 32 years to reach a one billion.

And that's ignoring the old British Billion, which meant bi-million, as in million squared. That would take 317 centuries. 

mbh 23 Jan 2024
In reply to montyjohn:

How many ways to fold a protein? That's got to be a very big number, which is why what AlphaFold does is so impressive.

Fat Bumbly 2.0 23 Jan 2024
In reply to montyjohn:

Multiply any number by it and it remains the same.  (see 0 with addition).

Maggot 23 Jan 2024
In reply to nniff:

> The billion number that does my head in is this:

> Ignoring inflation and interest and all that stuff, if you had been putting £1 million in the bank every year since the Norman Conquest in 1066, you still wouldn't be a billionaire....

If you donated a £1m every year from 1066 to the Conservative party you'd be a trillionaire.

Maggot 23 Jan 2024
In reply to montyjohn:

No one has mentioned the truly awesome number that is .......

e

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...