UKC

Strange crossword clue.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.

The Guardian quick crossword today appears to have ‘expire’ as the answer for ‘Become invalid (6)’. I’ve always taken it to mean rather more than that! i.e. a synonym for dying. Literally, ‘to breathe out’ or breathe one’s last. Yet most dictionaries seem to have this alternative meaning that I’ve never heard before. It’s as if the original meaning of the word has been quietly forgotten. Very odd - to my ears anyway. Because you can be an invalid and recover, but you can’t if you expire.

Post edited at 20:42
 hang_about 17 Jan 2024
In reply to Gordon Stainforth:

Invalid as in, not valid. Your library ticket is invalid as it has expired?

cathsullivan 17 Jan 2024

I'd assume it means become not valid, as in past expiration date. Rather than invalid, as in infirm.

broken spectre 17 Jan 2024

Could be 'expire' as in 'expiry date'? The multiplicity of the English language being part of it's charm (and a driving force behind cryptic crosswords too possibly, although I'm as thick as two short planks when it comes to cryptics!)

In reply to hang_about:

Oh I see.

I imagine you would have got upset by BASIC interpreters telling you your program had "Invalid Syntax"...

Surely you've had some licence, voucher or membership with an expiry date?

Post edited at 21:00
 G. Tiger, Esq. 17 Jan 2024

It's the joy of the English language, multiple meanings and interpretations of words. But I think you knew that... But very frustrating when it doesn't click.

The guardian quick is getting more and more cryptic IMHO

GTE

Billhook 17 Jan 2024

One of those strange, but not rare words that often have multiple meanings.  Sometimes they are spelt the same and pronounced differently and sometimes spelt differently but pronounced the same.

Bow, (when you see the king) bow of a ship, Bow you fire arrows from, The Bow - you can make in a rope.  

In reply to G. Tiger, Esq.:

> It's the joy of the English language, multiple meanings and interpretations of words. But I think you knew that... But very frustrating when it doesn't click.

Yes to all that. I was just being very dim.

> The guardian quick is getting more and more cryptic IMHO

Yes, and all the better for it I think.

EarlyBird 18 Jan 2024

This is why "quick" crosswords are more difficult to complete than cryptic crosswords!

In reply to EarlyBird:

I don’t find them so. Most quick crosswords I can do in under ¼ hour, whereas the cryptics take me many times longer - in fact I now avoid them as such enormous timewasters.

mbh 18 Jan 2024

I always give quick crossword clues some slack - it's the nature of them. With a good cryptic clue it is very clear that the answer is right. Not so, often, with quick crossword clues.

In reply to mbh:

> With a good cryptic clue it is very clear that the answer is right.

Not for me! Although I did start to get my head around the easier cryptic clues a couple of years ago but it took a lot of practice, and I was still completely baffled by a lot of them even after revealing the answer

Rog Wilko 18 Jan 2024
In reply to EarlyBird:

> This is why "quick" crosswords are more difficult to complete than cryptic crosswords!

Yeah, sometimes…..

Rog Wilko 18 Jan 2024
In reply to mbh:

> I always give quick crossword clues some slack - it's the nature of them. With a good cryptic clue it is very clear that the answer is right. Not so, often, with quick crossword clues.

But the Guardian quick online has a Check This button. Doesn’t reveal the answer, but tells you what you’ve done wrong.

Rog Wilko 18 Jan 2024

My days of doing cryptics are behind me to a large extent. Used to love some of the old setters like Araucaria and Logodaedalus, but most of the ones I could tackle have expired (see above), and the newer ones are not on my wavelength. The Everyman on Sundays I can occasionally still complete. I try to do the Guardian Quick within 10 minutes, but rarely achieve that. Did it once in 7min. I think this must all help to hold off the aphasia which I seem to be developing (undiagnosed).

In reply to Rog Wilko:

More or less the same with me - except the aphasia (very sorry that you appear to be getting that.) I find the quick crossword, codeword, and sudoku good mental exercises to keep the brain functioning/‘warm up’ in the morning. 

birdie num num 18 Jan 2024

I've been pondering over this one....it's gobbledygook 

'We hear that former church pinnacle ceases to exist.' (6)

RolandP 18 Jan 2024

I think you have to approach the clue not in terms of death but in terms of lottery tickets, book tokens or supermarket coupons. Then it makes perfect sense?

john arran 18 Jan 2024
In reply to birdie num num:

It should be "expire" (sounds like ex spire) but there's a problem with a missing s on the end.

G. Tiger, Esq. 19 Jan 2024
In reply to john arran:

We hear = sounds like 

Offwidth 19 Jan 2024
In reply to john arran:

I agree.. the clue would have been better with the two halves reversed and starting "cease to exist"

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...