UKC

Is buildering illegal??

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 Elrond 20 Oct 2012
Is climbing buildings or public 'things' illegal? Can the police stop you if it is public property?
 The Pylon King 20 Oct 2012
In reply to Hazelnuts:

It's Immoral.
OP Elrond 20 Oct 2012
In reply to Mr Mark Stephen Davies:

> It's Immoral.

But why though?
 Dave 88 20 Oct 2012
In reply to Hazelnuts:

I think they can do you for causing public dismay or something.
 Dan Jam 20 Oct 2012
In reply to Dave 88: Off the top of my head they could probably arrest you for either causing a public nuisance or something under the Public Order Act
 Dave Garnett 21 Oct 2012
In reply to Daniel James:

I once spent a night in the cells for exactly that.
Jez Tapping 21 Oct 2012
In reply to Hazelnuts:
Yes, for my Masters dissertation i researched the viability of setting up a Buildering events company. So the reality is if your buildering without the 'landowners' (building owners) permission then you are legally trespassing. If you are doing that on a private person/companies building then its a civil issue. Additionally you are potentially endangering those people below you (if its not cordoned off, if cordoning then their are other issues) and therefore it becomes a criminal issue. This latter issue is true whether the building is public or privately owned. So Buildering, if your just rocking up is an issue, but if you organise appropriately then it can be fine. But where is the fun in that!
Contact me if your up for some London based Buildering!
estivoautumnal 21 Oct 2012
In reply to Hazelnuts:

Plod may think you are cat buildering.
 Ciro 21 Oct 2012
In reply to Jez Tapping:

I've often wandered if they could lock you up for DWSing on the thames bridges...
 Simon 21 Oct 2012
In reply to Ciro:

Charlie Woodburn got arrested for just that. The rozzers thought he was a terrorist...

Ciro 21 Oct 2012
In reply to Simon:

Haha, might give it a miss then... don't fancy SO19 on my case.
 battledroid 21 Oct 2012
In reply to Hazelnuts: I've climbed buildings for 6 years I think now.. Started climbing local university buildings when I was skint and it quickly got out of hand with various ascents ranging from the Fourth Bridge to Blackpool Tower, but it's always been a "beg for forgiveness than ask for permission" affair.

In a rather sorry state of affairs, I climbed a local building in Manchester after a 6 month hiatus from concrete, and after the most dreadfully unprotected shit ascent of 4 floors, I spent 18 hours in the cells and got a criminal record..

So yeah... Not worth it.
Rockhopper85 21 Oct 2012
In reply to Hazelnuts: I used to do parkour, the trick is not to get caught. Lol. To be honest, jumping around on steps, climbing walls etc we never got in any trouble. Ion the odd occasion we would have the owner or worker come out and have a moan. We was always respectful and left without a fuss. I would imagine these principles would apply to Buildering. Doing big stuff though, yes that would draw attention and its also the impact to the little boy passing by if you slip watching you splat infront of him amongst a whole host of other possible outcomes, like damaging the building, causing a crowd, etc etc.
When we done big parkour projects it would be planned and fast, so it was over before anybody noticed and always had an escape planned.
I think thats part of the appeal though isn't it, not just scaling a huge building, but getting away after, not getting caught, just seen.
Personally I think the world is our playground, and that's what I think its intended to be. Enjoy.
 Bimble 21 Oct 2012
In reply to Hazelnuts:

I'm eyeing up a nice-looking wall just off Victoria Square in Brum. The only issue is I can't leg it that well in my stickies if I get rumbled!
 Alex Slipchuk 21 Oct 2012
In reply to Hazelnuts: the way the "anti terror" laws are heading these days the police can "terrorise" you for doing most things that don't really affect others. But i suppose it's our own fault for demanding laws to protect us from the every evolving hidden enemy. Try dry tooling in a public park's climbing frame.
 Billhook 21 Oct 2012
In reply to Hazelnuts:

ALL property in the UK is owned by someone. Therefore if you climb on it without permission you are committing tresspass along with any associated other offences as other posters have mentioned. 'Public' buildings are not owned by the public. These might belong to councils, public bodies and so on.
 gordo 21 Oct 2012
the French spider man seemed to get on ok. im sure i came accross a list for the Birmingham area where they had graded certain building,places,bridges ect
Rockhopper85 21 Oct 2012
In reply to Dave Perry: buildings are all owned, as are all crags. What if all of a sudden landowners refused climbing point blank. Would you stop climbing?
In reply to Hazelnuts:

Ignore Mark, he'll probably come out with some bullsh*t otherwise
 tehmarks 22 Oct 2012
In reply to Hazelnuts:

As an aside, I've always wondered what grade the Bankside Power Station chimney would go at.
 Ava Adore 22 Oct 2012
In reply to Hazelnuts:

How do you get off the building? I'm assuming for your average office block, you ascend to the roof but access to the roof is likely to be secured in some way.
 cuppatea 22 Oct 2012
In reply to Hazelnuts:

Have a browse through the High Stuff section of the 28 Days Later forum :0 There's a few crazy exploits there to inspire and impress.
 bigbobbyking 22 Oct 2012
In reply to Hazelnuts:

I have a vauge memory that climbing listed buildings is an offence for reasons in addition to those mentioned above...
Jim C 22 Oct 2012
In reply to bigbobbyking:
> (In reply to Hazelnuts)
>
> I have a vauge memory that climbing listed buildings is an offence for reasons in addition to those mentioned above...

Not sure about Listed buildings but aparently National Monuments, or so the custodian and Dumbarton Castle keeps saying (but no one actually stops it.)

Jez Tapping 28 Oct 2012
In reply to Hazelnuts:
For all those interested check out UKBuildering on Facebook!
 Al Evans 28 Oct 2012
In reply to Hazelnuts: Tom Proctor once climbed the spire of Sheffield Cathedral at night (it's about HVS according to Tom) he was spotted and arrested by the police when he came down. He was charged with 'Causing an affray in a churchyard', defended himself in court and claimed the only people causing the affray were the police, he was aquited.
 Al Evans 28 Oct 2012
In reply to Al Evans:
PS. You can tie off those sticky out things for runners every few feet.
 Billhook 28 Oct 2012
In reply to Hazelnuts:

http://www.ukclimbing.com/forums/t.php?t=524981

So no one thinks it's unsafe dropping on someone's head when they are passing by?
OP Elrond 28 Oct 2012
In reply to Al Evans:

Thats such a brilliant excuse! Love it!
Removed User 29 Oct 2012
In reply to Al Evans:
> (In reply to Al Evans)
> PS. You can tie off those sticky out things for runners every few feet.

Crockets
Removed User 29 Oct 2012
In reply to Dave Garnett:

Yep me too.......Ashton under Lyne. I forget what I was trying to do, it seemed like a good idea after 4 bottles of wine, GMP did not think so.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...