UKC

Separate D and M grades on UKC?

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 Suncream 07 Nov 2021

Every time I go on the Winter Conditions page in marginal conditions, I see lots of logs of drytooling routes, which are listed as M grades on UKC. This is very mildly annoying - is there a particular reason there aren't separate D grades on UKC?

More philosophically, when I go drytooling my mindset is one of cragging, hanging around on bolts. Mixed climbing, on the other hand, for me implies a much more committing style of climbing, potentially on trad gear and in the big mountains.

Edit to say: the number of drytooling crags in the world is relatively small, and I would have thought it would be easy to write a script to convert M to D grades for those crags in the logbook.

Post edited at 06:22
 TobyA 07 Nov 2021
In reply to Suncream:

Seconded!

Very much in the upper echelons of first world problems, but yes, annoying - particularly, as I remember it, as a predominantly English and Welsh winter climber, the dry tool routes pop up down at the bottom where you are hoping to see that someone got something done down this way!

Graeme Hammond 08 Nov 2021
In reply to Suncream:

one positive of separating the grades could be to avoid dry tooling routes appearing on the winter conditions pages. Alternatively the few select drytooling venues could be excluded from appearing on the page?

https://www.ukclimbing.com/logbook/conditions/uk_winter/

TobyA 08 Nov 2021
In reply to Graeme Hammond:

> one positive of separating the grades could be to avoid dry tooling routes appearing on the winter conditions pages.

Isn't that exactly what the original post was about? It's what I understood Suncream was asking for.

Graeme Hammond 08 Nov 2021
In reply to TobyA:

Re saw the thread and then didn't re read the original post fully now look like an idiot as just remembered the 2nd paragraph 🙄 

If only people didn't reply to this thread it would drop down the recent threads list sooner.

Post edited at 18:29
In reply to Suncream:

I've added the D grades and converted a few crags from M grades to D grades. If you spot any on the Winter Conditions page that are Dry Tooling then please let me know.

arose 12 Nov 2021
In reply to Paul Phillips - UKC and UKH:

Thanks for doing this.  I had been wondering how to do this as a crag moderator but hadnt had the time to look too deeply

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...