UKC

Giving blood

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
John Kirk 12 Dec 2006
Just been to give blood. Apparently the number of people giving has been declining steadily for years. Why is this - are people more self centred, worried about the needles, or because we don't work in big factories anymore where hundreds would give in a day ? Be interested to know who gives and why ? and who doesn't and why. I give about three/four times per year.
 SecretSquirrel 12 Dec 2006
In reply to John Kirk:
I'd give but they won't take it - I'm slightly underweight for my height.
John Kirk 12 Dec 2006
In reply to SecretSquirrel: a rare condition these days...
 ebygomm 12 Dec 2006
In reply to John Kirk:

I got up to my bronze award, not healthy enough to donate right now but will do so as soon as I can in the future
 sutty 12 Dec 2006
In reply to John Kirk:

People travel more to places where certain diseases exist that stop you giving blood, and I think with the CJD thing, if you have received blood recently you cannot give it in case of infection. Not sure of the time scale there.
 nz Cragrat 12 Dec 2006
In reply to sutty:

I can't give blood now (in NZ) because of CJD
psd 12 Dec 2006
In reply to John Kirk:

I've given 12 times so far, I found out recently. Hadn't been keeping proper count as I've given in about five areas! I've not gone for ages though, partly through illness and partly as I kept getting lost when I did finally remember there was a session on. I'll try and rectify that before Christmas though.
 rock waif 12 Dec 2006
In reply to John Kirk: I used to give blood as often as I could.

A few years ago the bag size was increased and I am now too light to give blood. My weight has stayed the same, and is normal for my height.

I would have thought that was a consequence they could have foreseen of changing to bigger bags. Apparently they can't take my blood as they would take too much for blood from me to fill the bag.
John Kirk 12 Dec 2006
In reply to rock waif: that seems really dim of them !
John Kirk 12 Dec 2006
In reply to John Kirk: .. but I suppose they do want to know how much they've given people and with non-standard bags that would be a problem...
 Tiggs 12 Dec 2006
In reply to John Kirk: I'm can't. I've had surgery within the prohibited period and received a blood transfusion during it. IIRC if you look at the blood donor services website it points out the restriction.

As I've said on here, I'm eternally grateful to the donors who gave the blood, I'm sorry I'm unable to do the same for someone else.
 CJD 12 Dec 2006
In reply to John Kirk:

I give, partly because my big brother is the same blood group as me and is allergic to the universal donor, so in some strange way it's investment in a just-in-case, and also because a couple of friends have had to have blood transfusions and have said that it made them feel amazing and full of energy, and as they're both lovely people (well, one of them was, RIP - the other one is still lovely and still very much around!) what's a pint of blood to me?

That said, I had a lull (anaemia) and I've only started again recently. Intend to keep going though.
 Tiggs 12 Dec 2006
In reply to Tiggs: Just checked it, if you've had a blood transfusion after 1.1.1980 you can't give blood.
 nz Cragrat 12 Dec 2006
In reply to John Kirk:

NZ has lost a huge proportion of Donors since mid 90's I think when they decided that if we had been in the UK there might be a chance of us having CJD ... guess they can't do anything for you guys
Hannah m 12 Dec 2006
In reply to Tiggs:
Yes the blood donor service gives all the restrictions (infections, illnesses, medications, homosexuality....etc) on why some people can't give blood - no need for people to say why not here.
Have given a few armfuls myself.
John Kirk 12 Dec 2006
In reply to Hannah m: I'm interested in what the decline says about society - I'm not trawling for people who are disqualified. My thesis is that people have become less community minded and more selfish over the past 30 years, especially post Thatcher. Giving blood is an "us" behaviour and not giving (disqualifications apart)is a "me" behaviour...
 ebygomm 12 Dec 2006
In reply to John Kirk: are you sure the decline is due to people's choices not the increasing restrictions imposed by the blood service?
 Tiggs 12 Dec 2006
In reply to John Kirk: I think there may be a time factor element for some people but the majority (I would like to believe) are still altruistic enough to donate. There are several restrictions from something as minor as a chesty cough or cold sore to more serious conditions that prevent donation.
John Kirk 12 Dec 2006
In reply to Tiggs: it's down to something like 3.5% of us, rather than 5% as it was thirty years ago.
 Tiggs 12 Dec 2006
In reply to John Kirk: You're not paying attention are you? Its no wonder the figures are down on 30 yrs ago - the restrictions came in 26 years ago!
In reply to John Kirk:

I give blood with various stoppages for anaemia!

I agree I think they'd get better responses if they did the workplace sessions again, people are inherently lazy.....

Our workplace does, but then again, i work in a hospital!
Franklin the concerned cat 12 Dec 2006
In reply to Tiggs:

I used to give blood regularly. It was a pre-requisite to me getting a motor-bike deemed so by my parents when I was in my teens. Bloody good idea & so far I've not had to ask for any back!

I've been a bit lax of late. Maybe time to pull my finger out.....
KB 12 Dec 2006
In reply to John Kirk:

I used to give blood regularly, but then began showing a false positive to one of their tests. It turned out that the last three donations I'd given ended up in the bin

Apparently, false positives are quite common, and disqualify around 5% of regular donors, even though a secondary test can confirm that the result is a false positive.

Seems a little strange to me, since there is such a shortage of willing donors....

KB
 cfer 12 Dec 2006
I have been giving blood for several years as I have a rare blood type and also worked in emergency care also does anyone have donor cards/registered as donor???
 CJD 12 Dec 2006
In reply to caseyfather:

Yes! definitely! my friend who died was on the waiting list for ages for a kidney and pancreas transplant. once I'm gone, what use are my organs to me?
John Kirk 12 Dec 2006
In reply to Tiggs: err I am not quite as thick as you seem to make out. My real point is that even 5% is pretty pathetic, given how many people expect to get blood when they need it. It's now 3.5 % and in ten years it's going to be what; 3.0 or 2.5% of the population ?
John Kirk 12 Dec 2006
In reply to caseyfather: yes I do that as well.
 elephant0907 12 Dec 2006
In reply to John Kirk:
I would give blood if I was old enough
Dr.Strangeglove 12 Dec 2006
In reply to John Kirk:
went once, they got 75ml and no more.
would not try my other arm as had taken more than 50ml.
got a bit cheesed off.
not been back since.
times often seem quite inconveniant for my work.
 Tiggs 12 Dec 2006
In reply to John Kirk: OK no one over 59 can give blood, then there are the other restrictions on the potential donating population. We have an increasingly elderly population which is probably not being replaced by the younger generation. I don't know the stats but we could even be in negative replacement vis a vis the current birth rate. So the demographics may actually be the reason. I agree that the level of donation is low but there is more than selfishness at play.

I see that there is v. little encouragement for people to give blood for themselves (can't remember the technical name for it) if they have elective as opposed to emergency surgery requiring transfusion, rather than depleting the low stores of altruistically donated blood.
00spaw 12 Dec 2006
In reply to John Kirk: when i turned 17 i got a card which i sent back to show i was ready and willing. they sent me a card to say that i could go to a session. an "invite". just so happens its in the middle of the school day and coincided with important lessons leading towards my exams. otherwise would have gone. might see about it after exams.

Will
John Kirk 12 Dec 2006
In reply to 00spaw: they do evening sessions.
00spaw 12 Dec 2006
In reply to John Kirk: o do they now! didnt realise. might have to look at this. cheers

In reply to caseyfather:
> also does anyone have donor cards/registered as donor???

I'm registered as a donor. If anyone can make use of my organs after I'm dead then that's great. They're prob not in the most fantastic shape but they're better than nothing.

In reply to John Kirk:
> and who doesn't and why.

They won't take my blood because of a medical condition.
 Andy Lawson 12 Dec 2006
In reply to John Kirk: I give blood regularly but find it increasingly difficult to do so as the Donor Centre in Aberdeen keep reducing the number of sessions available to give blood. It is now down to only two sessions per week. These sessions are always so busy that you can wait for an hour or more before actually donating any blood. The number of overall blood donations is bound to go down if the centres are not open to accept blood from willing donors.
 Rob Exile Ward 12 Dec 2006
In reply to Charlotte in Anni's Basement: I'm not so keen on my own organs, wouldn't want to wish them on anyone else... (You're all welcome to them, all the same, though not right now, obviously)
In reply to John Kirk:

I don't because the last time I did they couldn't get the needle in the vein, three people came and went in the next bay in the time it took to get the minimum from me and they had to hit my arm a lot to get the blood out. Afterwards they made me feel as though it was my fault and gave me a card saying not to donate again.
Until then I had never had a problem, and none of the medical staff any had any difficulty finding a vein during my pregnancy medicals.

I have another friend who stopped giving blood after he was told that a lot of the blood is exported to other countries and he didn't agree with that.
In reply to Rob Exile Ward:
>I'm not so keen on my own organs, wouldn't want to wish them on anyone else...

Lol do you have useless insides as well? They would prob refuse to take my organs but I'll offer them anyway. At least no-one can say I didn't offer my insides lol.

sutty 13 Dec 2006
In reply to John Kirk:

Gave blood once, told do not come back as nearly got it back in me.

Carried a donor card since they came out, must get one you can read as it is getting tatty.
 thin bob 13 Dec 2006
In reply to sutty: Registering online is now possible for organ donation, bone marrow and blood donation appointments. The appointments involve a bit of a faff, but the rest are easy & worth doing, esp if you've got an old paper card.

Dunno if you can give just platelets instead of whole blood if you're anaemic. got to look into it meself.
XXXX 13 Dec 2006
In reply to John Kirk:

I give regularly. Last time, I'd eaten something iffy 13 days before and had a stomach bug for about 24 hours. Since getting over that I'd done 2 weeks at work and run 2 half marathons but apparantly I wasn't well enough to give.

Makes you wonder if their standards aren't preventing more people from giving.

Sisyphus McViticus 13 Dec 2006
In reply to John Kirk:

I'm not allowed to give blood. I have, however, dressed up as Bertie Blood-Drop (including the fetching red tights) and danced around Manchester city centre, while small children tried to kick me, to encourage others.
 Little Brew 13 Dec 2006
In reply to John Kirk: on the subject of donor's, my driving licencs, the card type, has a code on it that says i am an organ donor! think the cde is 122, or 115 but not 100% which it is.

as for the blood thing, my mom has been going for years, last year they brought in the no blood if you have had a transfusion after 1980, well she had had 2, one from my birth, one from my brothers, so one short of the gld award they stopped her, man was she pissed!!!!

i dont give blood, but that s for a few reasons. one is my travels as a child, and living abroard, there funny about it! other is the medication i continually have to take!

Jess.x
 Kakashi 13 Dec 2006
In reply to John Kirk:
I give as regularly as the NBS allow. A major recruitment population for donors was those who had received blood products in their own treatment, but as was said above they now cannot give blood.

The Student's Union at Newcastle has banned the NBS from taking donations in the union buildings, due to its "anti-gay" policy of not accepting blood from men who've had sexual relations with other men. Fortunately the university has stepped in and allowed the NBS to use one of its (considerably nicer) rooms.
Nao 13 Dec 2006
In reply to John Kirk:
> Why is this - are people more self centred, worried about the needles

Nope. I used to give regularly and then they changed the rules on living in malarial countries (I grew up in the Philippines). Also... my local blood donation clinic only tends to open during the day when I am at work. I would be happy to give blood if they arranged something in my office - which I have enquired about - but they said they need a guaranteed number of people to hold one of those sessions, and my company wouldn't arrange it.

Also I keep having blood tests that shows that my blood's dodgy so I'm going to wait and find out what's wrong with me before I palm it off on some poor unsuspecting person.
beriberi 13 Dec 2006
In reply to Little Brew:

can't donate due to the work i do - potentially infectious for the rest of my life my other half is now considered potentially infectious too, for the rest of his life.
gave twice before i started this work though. can't donate organs now either.

when i did donate, i always found the blood letters to be quite rude, as if they were doing you a massive favour to be draining your blood. that would have put me off if my work hadn't prevented me from donating now.
 Jamesclimb 13 Dec 2006
In reply to John Kirk: It’s a pathetic excuse but as I don’t work in town and very rarely go into town so I don’t give blood.

I can’t donate in the week as I’m at work and at the weekends I’m usually busy out / in climbing and I’m not sure that they are open weekends.

I think many more people would give blood if they didn’t have busy life’s or if donating blood was more accessible. Many people myself included can’t give blood as we can’t get to any centre to donate.
 link 13 Dec 2006
In reply to John Kirk:

I gave blood until recently when they banned me. Apparently they were worried that I kept losing consciousness after donating. Seems to be a mixture of low blood pressure, and the fact my head is too far away from my feet and its what my body does to recirculate the blood. (Its just a shame that my body shuts down blood to my head first!) I didnt mind really it was quite peaceful.
 El Greyo 13 Dec 2006
In reply to beriberi: That must have been a while ago because the letters I get are very nice.

There's a session in the village hall just down the road from where I work which I go to. I just leave my desk, walk down there and get drained. No one has challenged me for leaving work during work hours but if they did I think giving blood is a very good excuse for not being at work for an hour or so.

I really regret not giving blood years ago. I was just too nervous about it - but now I give blood, I know there really is nothing to worry about.
 El Greyo 13 Dec 2006
There are many places you can give blood with sessions in community halls and other places. There may be one near your home or work which is convenient. You can search for sessions here:

http://www.blood.co.uk/pages/search.asp
 Fume Troll 13 Dec 2006
In reply to John Kirk: I used to give blod very regularly. After the first time they found I had some useful antibody in my blood, and wanted to take blood plasma instead. This involved hooking me up with a line in each arm, so that the blood would be taken from one arm, get centrifuged and the red cells would be pumped back into the other arm so that only the plasma was taken. They'd take a litre at a time, every two weeks. I got my gold pin in no time!

I stopped because the transfusion nurses were frankly terrible at putting the large needles in, and I could already see that the arteries were getting in bad shape from having lines put in so regularly.

Having not been for ages, I should really go back.

Cheers,

FT.
 climbingpixie 13 Dec 2006
In reply to Alison Stockwell:

> I have another friend who stopped giving blood after he was told that a lot of the blood is exported to other countries and he didn't agree with that.

I'd be quite suprised about that. AFAIK the UK actually imports blood from other countries with better donation rates.

I donate, as often as they'll let me. I'm O- so they do hassle me a lot but I don't mind. I'd probably forget otherwise. If it's coming up to donation time I'll usually get a letter and a phonecall to ask me to come down. I can see that I'm quite lucky though. I have a blood donation centre in town where you rarely have to wait more than 15mins to donate and my boss is quite happy for me to bugger off for an hour (and atill pay me) to donate blood once every 16 weeks.

The only problem I have is that last year they raised the threshold for iron levels in your blood meaning 2 out of the last 5 times I've been I haven't been able to donate. I'm trying to see this as a good reminder to eat lots of green leafy veg and red meat though.

I'm also an organ donor and on the bone marrow donor list. The organ donor thing is a given, since I won't be using them by then, but I gave serious thought to bone marrow donation since it is a bigger commitment.
In reply to John Kirk: I used to give blood regularly, but as they got more restrictive about the conditions they would take blood under I stopped. The last few times I went to give blood I was sent away again because of recent scratches, mild anaemia and a slight cold. The last time I was told that as I had been travelling in rural mexico they could not accept my blood for the forseable future. I know other people who have also stopped giving blood because they have been sent away so many times that they feel going has become a waste of time.
 gingerdave13 13 Dec 2006
In reply to John Kirk: gave blood a fair few times before and then whilst at uni, went again recently only to discover it was my first time in 3 yrs,,, dammed work just gets in the way - i know they have day and eve sessions but it's never been a good time - this one I just happend to drive past is at the weekend and decided to go in,,,

never received blood but can't believe all the new rules and regs,,, totally insane,, (but i suppose understandable)

oh and yes was and probably still am a donor,, take anything you want after i'm dead - what use is it to me,,
 Martin W 13 Dec 2006
In reply to Little Brew:

> (In reply to John Kirk) on the subject of donor's, my driving licencs, the card type, has a code on it that says i am an organ donor! think the cde is 122, or 115 but not 100% which it is.

Organ donor code is 115. For some reason my licence doesn't show it, although I always try to tick the relevant boxes whenever I'm filling in a form which gives me the option of registering. That includes the driving licence and passport application forms, and the form you fill in when you register with a new GP.

As of September this year, if you have registered as an organ donor then your relatives have no legal right to prevent it happening.
 GrahamD 13 Dec 2006
In reply to John Kirk:

I have stopped giving blood for the simple reason that they have stopped taking it at my place of work as it wasn't economic.

Its certainly not economic for me to try to get to somewhere else to donate so it looks like I've stopped at 20.
 smallclimber 13 Dec 2006
In reply to SecretSquirrel:
I am also below the weight limit, so that makes three of us from this site (says something about climbers).
For me its a good incentive to stay slim, as I faint every year when I have to have a compulsory blood test at work, so I would hate to feel obliged to give blood, but have a genuine excuse!
Nao 13 Dec 2006
In reply to Martin W:
>As of September this year, if you have registered as an organ donor then your relatives have no legal right to prevent it happening.

Is that true? I was hoping for something like that.
 climbingpixie 13 Dec 2006
In reply to Martin W:

> As of September this year, if you have registered as an organ donor then your relatives have no legal right to prevent it happening.

That's really good news, although my parents know my wishes anyway. I still think organ donation should be an opt-out scheme, rather than an opt-in one though.
 Martin W 13 Dec 2006
In reply to Nao:

> Is that true? I was hoping for something like that.

It says so on the NHS Direct web site. What it says on the uktransplant.org web site is:

"We know that in most cases families will agree to donation if they knew that was their loved one’s wish. If the family, or those closest to the person who has died, object to the donation when the person who has died has given their explicit permission...healthcare professionals will discuss the matter sensitively with them. They will be encouraged to accept the dead person’s wishes and it will be made clear that they do not have the legal right to veto or overrule those wishes. There may, nevertheless, be cases where it would be inappropriate for donation to go ahead."

I think this means that if the rellies kick up enough of a fuss (I can imagine people threatening to go to the press, or get lawyers involved) then the docs may decide it's just going to be too much trouble.
 thin bob 13 Dec 2006
In reply to GrahamD: [i'm not being sarky here, BTW]. giving blood never makes economic sense to the donor; the whole process is the gift, including bus fare, time and being a complete gurl about taking the dressing off.

Think of people that have needed the blood, imagine yourself or people you know needing it and then decide what uneconomic is. If it still doesn't make sense, fair enough...or try & get the NBS to organise one nearer you maybe?

[sorry, rant over!]
 ebygomm 13 Dec 2006
In reply to thin bob:
> giving blood never makes economic sense to the donor

depends how many biscuits you eat afterwards
matnoo 13 Dec 2006
In reply to John Kirk:

I used to give blood all the time, I dont now because the blood service seems to have the task of giving trainee nurses practise at sticking needles into people!

After a string of 4 or 5 incompetant visits (you know the type, where the person jabbing you has little confidence/skill and usually has a supervisor stood next to them!) I was seriously sketchy about going again.

The final time I went ended with me having a needle stuck almost perpendicular into my muscle. Then the 'maitron' woman said 'no, thats wrong, you need more of an angle, try again!'

So the girl pulled it out and stuck it back in the same sodding hole again!!!

Maybe it was just solihull that was the training ground, and i know that they need to learn somewhere, but im certainly not going back.

)C:

Mat
 rock waif 13 Dec 2006
In reply to ebygomm:
>

>depends how many biscuits you eat afterwards

yeah as a student, giving blood made economic sense to me.

Dave Stelmach 13 Dec 2006
In reply to John Kirk: Some people are reluctant to donate as they're afraid of what the screening test will find.

If you go straight to the pub afterwards, you get pissed real cheap!
John Kirk 13 Dec 2006
In reply to Sisyphus McViticus:
> (In reply to John Kirk)
>
> I'm not allowed to give blood. I have, however, dressed up as Bertie Blood-Drop (including the fetching red tights) and danced around Manchester city centre, while small children tried to kick me, to encourage others.

Good effort !
brendanhanratty 13 Dec 2006
In reply to John Kirk: donated blood 3/4 times, they made me stop in the cos i kept fainting and the last time the nurses couldnt find my pulse for a while! think im too close to the minimum weight.

as for homosexuality, why cant gays donate?
 sandy 13 Dec 2006
In reply to John Kirk: Last time I gave blood one of the nurses told me that they lost 85,000 donors last year when they had to change the rules about people that had been given a blood transfusion. So I guess that is a big drop.

They are trying hard to make it easier to give blood though. Offering pre-booked appointments and letting you know about local places you can use...

Still think it was better when you used to get your tea (in a proper cup) and biscuit from a nice WRVS (or whatever they are called) volunteer!

Andy
 DancingOnRock 14 Dec 2006
In reply to John Kirk:

Thank you to everyone who donates.

My wife had to have 4 units after the birth of my daughter.

I had to have some plasma when going through Chemotherapy

The reason you shouldn't give blood even with a slight cold is that it is very likely that your blood would be used to treat anemia in somebody undergoing Chemo. They could have no immune system. The common cold can kill in that situation.

Obviously they don't want my blood now, and my wife has had a transfusion in the last 10 years so thats her out. The rest of my family all donate.
 Mike Hartley 14 Dec 2006
In reply to John Kirk:

As much as I'd like to...cause of the whole "save somebody elses life" thing, I can't. I have a massive dislike for needles and they struggle to get just 3 wee tubes of blood out of me...let alone a pint.
Anita 14 Dec 2006
In reply to John Kirk: I'm no longer allowed as I faint and vomit about 40mins afterwards (usually well after I've enjoyed the tea and biscuits and have wandered back to work which is quite embarassing). It's something to do with the volume they take as I'm fine with needles and giving smaller amounts for blood tests! It's a shame 'cos I'm O neg and used to get letters tell me they needed my blood type : (
My husband can't either as he had a strange fever in India about 15 years ago (nothing since but he's still banned).

MeMeMe 14 Dec 2006
In reply to John Kirk:

Hadn't given for ages but gave a few months ago.

Has anyone else had problems with the thing they stick on your finger to get a sample to test for anaemia?
They stuck it into me 7 times before they could get a decent drop of blood! I think my climbing calluses were stopping the needle from getting through.

I hate needles and keep secretly hoping they'll find a reason why I can't give, but so far no luck. In fact they always say what great veins I have, what kind of a weird compliment is that!
Chris James 14 Dec 2006
In reply to John Kirk:

I think it comes down to fewer people working in large factories. I like to blame Mrs Thatcher for just about everything but I would consider myself a bit of a leftie but had never given blood until this week!

There are a variety of reasons for this, including the fact that I once passed out after having a blood test (I think the no food for 12 hours before might have had something to do with this) so though I might be a liability. My wife and her family are regular givers but had never shamed me into giving either.

Anyway, someone organised a Bloodmobile at work and they seemed to be short of numbers so I volunteered. As it happens there ended up being loads of us, and a LOT of first time donors. I suppose it is easier when you only have to walk out to the car park and your work is paying your wages while you lie down and then have a cup of tea!

The public is apathetic, its the same reason why they talk about changing to an opt out system for organ donation (I have been on the organ donation list for years though).
Chris James 14 Dec 2006
In reply to Little Brew:
> (In reply to John Kirk) on the subject of donor's, my driving licencs, the card type, has a code on it that says i am an organ donor! think the cde is 122, or 115 but not 100% which it is.
>
>
My drivers licence has code 115 on it. Is that what it means?
 TN 14 Dec 2006
In reply to John Kirk:

I go regularly (apart from times where getting tattooed means I have to take a break)
I figure my chosen pastimes will necessitate me needing to use someone elses blood at some point, so I am just getting the good karma in first...
No seriously - it's not great problem to me, my manager lets me take time out to get to the sessions so why not?
(I tried plasma donation a couple of times but the return phase caused all sorts of problems/lumps/bruising, so I just stick with whole blood now.)
 climbingpixie 14 Dec 2006
In reply to TN:

> I figure my chosen pastimes will necessitate me needing to use someone elses blood at some point, so I am just getting the good karma in first...

I know what you mean. It's not the reason I donate but there's a little voice in the back of my head that says between the climbing, ju jitsu, driving around on a 50cc scooter and walking around Sefton Park at night, sooner or later I might need a couple of pints. And, as you said, it's not a hassle if your boss lets you do it on work time.
 Petzl 14 Dec 2006
In reply to John Kirk:

I have in the past, but then couldn't for a year after I went to Kenya.

I would if I could find anywhere open near me to take it!

Even worse, 3 of my friends work for the local hospital blood department!
John Kirk 14 Dec 2006
In reply to climbingpixie: Maybe the BMC should encourage people through the club network to go and give en masse insread of just pouring ale down their necks on a Wednesday night ?
 Conor 14 Dec 2006
Because I'm gay they don't want my blood, maybe there scared it'll infect people and they'll turn gay. I suspect their layers have advised them that in a few years there would be people suing them for making them gay?

Its the best explanation I can think of.....anyone know the real reason for their homophobia?
 JamieGreig 14 Dec 2006
In reply to Conor: I always thought this was strange. I gave blood for the first time a while ago and I'm due in a few months. I've got a few people to do it but some are scared (wimps) and some can't because of the pickiness nowadays.
 Katie Weston 14 Dec 2006
In reply to Conor:
I can only presume it's due to the increased risk of gay people being HIV positive. Given their screening system seems odd to me, but then lots of their rules seem odd to me!
Kara 14 Dec 2006
In reply to matnoo: The last time I gave blood I ended up with my arm nice and black from my elbow to wrist as the vein had been stitched. Haven't been back since, but probably can't now anyway as I've been to too many nasty places.
 climbingpixie 14 Dec 2006
In reply to Katie Weston:

> Given their screening system seems odd to me, but then lots of their rules seem odd to me!

I think the problem is the fact that you can be HIV positive and still show a false negative for, I think, nine months after infection. That's why if you get an aids test you have to go nine months later to get the total all clear.

Their rule of not allowing gay people to donate seems quite discriminatory, until you see it in the context of them also not allowing donations from anyone who's had sex with someone in Africa, or with someone who's had sex with someone in Africa, or if you've ever been given drugs or money for sex.

Unfortunately until they can come up with better screening for various illnesses and are able to pick up HIV in it's initial stages they're stuck with a ever shrinking pool of donors.

John Kirk: I think that would be a really good idea, although not just the BMC, all clubs. When I was captain of the uni ju jitsu club I used to find out when the uni donation sessions were and encourage (guilt trip) people into going.
 Kakashi 14 Dec 2006
In reply to climbingpixie:
The standard practice to test people who've had needlestick injuries (i.e. stabbed themselves whilst taking blood from a patient, had blood splashed in their eye etc.) is to take a baseline sample when the incident occured. This sample is then frozen. After 3 and 6 months fresh samples are taken and tested for Hep B, Hep C and HIV. If these come up +ve then the baseline sample is fished out of the freezer and tested. It can take a long time for these viruses to be detectable in the blood, so an initial -ve test of donated blood does not mean that the blood is not infective.
 Banned User 77 14 Dec 2006
In reply to Conor: Is your real name Daffydd?

Seriously get the chip off the shoulder!
 BelleVedere 14 Dec 2006
In reply to John Kirk:

The reason used to be beacause my ex was a needle user and hep C+, i have been given the all clear for that, but now my blood doesn't have enough iron.
brendanhanratty 14 Dec 2006
In reply to IainRUK: we all know gays have aids, just like smoking is cool. the rules make no sense, they asy if you have had anal sex with a man but not if you have had unprotected straight sex you can gey aids in any number of ways they dont ask about

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...