UKC

NEWS: Austrian solos 900m 7b+ in Dolomites

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 Michael Ryan 25 May 2007
On 29/04 the Austrian climber Hansjörg Auer (23) carried out the second solo ascent of the legendary Via attraverso il Pesce (aka The Fish) on the south face of the Marmolada, the Dolomites, after Maurizio Giordan's 1990 ascent (who self-belayed on some pitches). This is the first free solo without ...

Read more at http://www.ukclimbing.com/news/
 GDes 25 May 2007
In reply to Mick Ryan - UKClimbing.com:

'Kin ell. That's gobsmacking. Given the reputation this route has, and experience on neighbouring routes, that's just an amazing effort.
 GDes 25 May 2007
In reply to GDes:

AND in 2 hrs 55 mins! AND 3 years ago he couldnt even redpoint it! AND only spent 5 hours on the route on an ab rope previously!

ScottMackenzie 25 May 2007

I've got sweaty palms just looking at the picture. Need chalk!!!!
 sutty 25 May 2007

Really is an astounding ascent, congrtulations on it.

People wondering about getting in the zone and what it is should read the article, being there for a route that long takes some doing.
 Ridge 25 May 2007

Fabulous achievement, just lost for words really!
StewWatson 25 May 2007
I'm sure he'll continue to impress the world with more incredible ascents. check this website out: www.oetztalclimbing.com its a climbing site from the valley of oetztal, Austria, where Hans is from.
OP Michael Ryan 25 May 2007
In reply to oetzi:

Lovely pic of him before the ascent.

Just click on the photo: http://www.oetztalclimbing.com/content/

Cheers Oetzi

Mick
luke skywalker 25 May 2007

Didn't Neil Bentley have a serious accident on The Fish route?
 UKB Shark 25 May 2007
In reply to luke skywalker:

Yes, a large hold came off IIRC

Did this route used to get 8a ?
In reply to Simon Lee:
> (In reply to luke skywalker)
>
> Yes, a large hold came off IIRC
>
> Did this route used to get 8a ?

Didn't Bentley fall off on easy ground....due to loose rock?

SteveSBlake 25 May 2007

All the more unbelievable as he doesn't appear to have a gritstone pedigree - How can that be!!

I can only asume that his AWSOME success is due to wearing fancy shoes and not carrying a rucksac, and there's that chalky stuff.

I suppose some grudging kudos will have to be given, but will reserve my big high five for when he solos Russet Groove at Bowden.

In a more serious vein, I have no idea how someone can hold it together on something like this, where the consequences of a tiny error are catastrophic. It sends a shiver down my spine imagining it. V, V Well done him.

Steve
 sutty 25 May 2007
In reply to SteveSBlake:

He travelled light, rockboots, helmet chalkbag and light jacket. Must have been a bit draughty going commando.
 jwi 25 May 2007
In reply to Mick Ryan - UKClimbing.com: Gobsmacking. Absolutely. Is this the hardest free-solo ever? It might well be.
In reply to jwi:
> (In reply to Mick Ryan - UKClimbing.com) Gobsmacking. Absolutely. Is this the hardest free-solo ever? It might well be.

Multi-pitch or single pitch? Not single that's for sure. Would have to check on the multi.....I know in the USA Mike Reardon has done multi-pitch 5.12..Romantic Warrior at the Needles....Not sure what Croft and Bachar have done in the 5.12 range.

Many Fr 8a and harder I think single-pitch solos.

Where is the climbing record encyclopeadia?

luke skywalker 26 May 2007

Romantic Warrior is 12b and only 7 pitches, on good rock. This is 12c and 33 pitches on limestone (crap rock)

Hardest single pitch freesolos are 14a (eg. Huber, Kommunist)
 jwi 26 May 2007
> (In reply to Jonas Wiklund)
> [...]
>
> Multi-pitch or single pitch? Not single that's for sure. Would have to check on the multi.....I know in the USA Mike Reardon has done multi-pitch 5.12..Romantic Warrior at the Needles....Not sure what Croft and Bachar have done in the 5.12 range.
>
> Many Fr 8a and harder I think single-pitch solos.
>
> Where is the climbing record encyclopeadia?

Yeah, I know that single pitch 8b+ with the hardest part in the death-zone has been free-soloed. But for overall difficulty it seems, from the comfort of my tatami-mat, to be a big step up from stuff like Hasse-Brandler and various multi-pitch cracks in the US.

d_b 28 May 2007

That is a route I wouldn't even get off the ground on. I am very impressed!
 alex_th 30 May 2007
In reply to luke skywalker:
>
> Didn't Neil Bentley have a serious accident on The Fish route?

He's not the only one. Ines Papert pulled a flake off two years ago and had to be helicoptered off. Interview in German here:

http://www.mountains2b.com/206-Interview_mit_Ines_Papert_092005_Marmolada-,...
 dr evil 03 Jun 2007
In reply to alex_th:
This is an amazing solo. I have done the route, but it took 18 hours! To solo this route is akin to soloing just about every route on High Tor in a row with Bastille as pitch 12, Supersonic as pitch 14 and Castellan as pitch 15.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...