UKC

NEWS: Trotter warms up on Requiem E8

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Lobby Dosser 13 May 2008
Sonny Trotter is in town and seems really fired up to climb Rhapsody.

He was working on Requiem with his mate Cory today and he led it this evening without much problem.

He seems a really cool guy and was happy chatting to the folk at the crag, however a few blank stares made me think he had trouble understanding the Glesgae!

In reply to Lobby Dosser: he led it? And rhapsody, any news?
 Lemony 13 May 2008
In reply to grumpybearpantsclimbinggoat: keep an eye out: http://www.sonnietrotter.com/roadlife.php
 JLS 13 May 2008
In reply to grumpybearpantsclimbinggoat:

He lead Requiem super smoothly in warm sunny low friction conditions. He placed two bits of gear from what passes as the ground (the ledge) at the bottom of the route, then climbed the crack placing four bits of gear, stopping to chalk-up occasionally. At the end of the crack he spent a few minutes shaking-out, complaining of being pumped but didn't ever look anything but solid. He then place three further bits of gear one just at his feet and the two final bits including (presumably) the famous RP and continued to the top in fine style.

After a 5 or 10 minute break he worked the Rhapsody section on top rope but I didn't pay much attention to his progress here but I did notice he was hanging around on the rope so I suspect there wasn't a clean link-up of that section this time.

I boulder at Dumby quite a bit and if conditions on the boulders were reflected on the route then conditions were far from ideal with holds feeling pretty slippy in comparison to what they can feel like.
 JLS 13 May 2008
In reply to JLS:

I've uploaded a photo to my gallery. and hope post a link to more photos tomorrow morning.
 Wee Davie 13 May 2008
In reply to Lobby Dosser:

Aye, where were ye last Friday?

Davie
In reply to JLS: thanks mate
 JLS 13 May 2008
 Chris F 14 May 2008
In reply to JLS: Nice. Be better if you cropped out the paparazzi though!
 Chris F 14 May 2008
In reply to JLS: Cheers, Will look at home, IT Dept don't like it!
 Flatlander 14 May 2008
In reply to JLS:

Cool watching that, so lots of watching and not much climbing then :P
 JLS 14 May 2008
In reply to Flatlander:

Yeah, my arranged climbing partner emailed with some lame excuse but that's ok, I was quite happy to spend time on my bouldering projects.
 Burnsie 14 May 2008
In reply to JLS:

you were bouldering with the dosser that started this thread - in case you didn't figure it out ....
 Jack Geldard 14 May 2008
In reply to Lobby Dosser: News report now up. I changed the thread title to make it a bit more clear.

Great report from you and JLS - thanks.

NEWS REPORT: http://www.ukclimbing.com/news/older.html?month=05&year=2008#n44233

Jack
In reply to JLS:

Looks a bit slabby. Is that not a bit tilted?!

jcm
 JLS 14 May 2008
In reply to johncoxmysteriously:

>"Looks a bit slabby. Is that not a bit tilted?!"

Yeah, that's the benefit of the new Dumby articulated competition wall. We'll steepen it up a bit for the English coming on Thursday.

Free Scotland
In reply to JLS: Anyone know what the rough top-rope French grade is for Reqiuem?
 Michael Ryan 14 May 2008
In reply to Alasdair Fulton:

8a+ I think.
In reply to Mick Ryan - UKClimbing.com: Cheers, just need to get my sport grade up a few (or a lot) of notches, then I can give it a headpoint!

Aye right......
In reply to Lobby Dosser: Good luck Sonny, E11 is one of my favourite films, and an awesome climb, also i hear James Pearson is heading up there for a go..... i hope he kicks its arse. (bloody young 'uns)
 tobyfk 14 May 2008
In reply to JLS:

> Yeah, that's the benefit of the new Dumby articulated competition wall. We'll steepen it up a bit for the English coming on Thursday.

And remove the giant blue umbrella from above the route as well, presumably? You're not fooling anyone that that's a real Scottish sky ....
 Hay 14 May 2008
In reply to ALL:
Who is your money on then?
Sonny Trotter? James Pearson? John Dunne(?) or even a wild card entry from Steve McClure.
Sonny Trotter seems concerned that he is to heavy for the falls that would probably be involved....he is prob 2 stone heavier than Dave MacLeod was at the time.
 JLS 14 May 2008
In reply to tobyfk:

Where do you think RockFax get there skies for the Peak guide books?
 JLS 14 May 2008
In reply to Hay:

I think I'd really like to see John Dunne get the tick. Would give the his detractors something to think about and be especially funny if he makes some comment about the grade being around E9!

Trotter is looking good though.

John Dunne a serious contender? the boy Pearsons minder surely!.
 Stuart S 14 May 2008
In reply to Conquistador of the usless:

Dunne did make an early repeat of Requiem, so he's got experience on the wall...
 220bpm 14 May 2008
In reply to Hay:

TBH I think if both ST and JP have the weather right and stay injury free, it's only a matter of time for them to become the 2nd and 3rd ascentionists.
 Erik B 14 May 2008
In reply to 220bpm: dunno about that... was watching someone working Rhapsody last night and they where having what looked like a mare to me.. and that was on a top rope (white t-shirt, del boy trotter?) and someone else working Requiem

the photos dont do the climbs justice, id recommend the wee pier next to morrisons for a stupendous vantage point in the evening sun.
 Mike Stretford 14 May 2008
> Sonny Trotter is in town and seems really fired up to climb Rhapsody.
>

Good to see these guys trying each other routes.

I do hope some prat from these shores doesn't embarrass themselves on their blog with a poor parody of Sonny's vernacular....agian.
In reply to Erik B:

I really hope Del boy sees it off, but conditions are not exaactly ideal are they at the mo, you know what the friction is like there when it's warm, igneous basalt slopes in the sun ....eeek!
 Lemony 14 May 2008
In reply to Lobby Dosser: There's a report on yesterday's action on the website now complete with a review of UKC and a mention for the spectators.

http://www.sonnietrotter.com/roadlife.php
 Red Rover 14 May 2008
In reply to Lobby Dosser: When are John Dunn, Steve and JP arriving at the crag?

If you were a bookie what odds would you give for each of them?
 Morgan Woods 14 May 2008
In reply to Lemony:

ST speaking about UKC:

"In Canada we have a few blogs and websites for the community, but unfortunately, more often than not the threads quickly turn to rubbish."

yeah that never happens on here ;p
 Wee Davie 14 May 2008
In reply to Red Rover:

>When are John Dunn, Steve and JP arriving at the crag? If you were a bookie what odds would you give for each of them?

It would be great to see ANYBODY get up it.
I hope Trotter is successful in the short time scale he has to get get it done.
I was very pleased to see he got up Requiem yesterday- it's a fantastic line. How many ascents is that Requiem has had now? 6?

Davie

Erik B 14 May 2008
In reply to Conquistador of the usless: aye, I hope del boy does do it too, I like his patter and the fact hes travelled half way across the world twice now to try it. I think the evening is perfect just now, the wind was chilly coming in from the firth, I presume this pattern will continue..

Im thinking maybe the 2 folk last night where the english loons?

hotaches should setup a camera at the morrisons pier to get some perspective, magnificent view looking across the watter showing the mighty Dun, castle and cliff with the evening sun lighting up the routes and their features
Lobby Dosser 14 May 2008
In reply to Red Rover: According to the film crew Big John and JP are arriving on Thursday.
Lobby Dosser 14 May 2008
In reply to Wee Davie:

Davie Boy, sorry about yer night oot but I got stuck at work. I heard it was a cracker though!
 Burnsie 14 May 2008
In reply to Erik B:

nope that was the Canucks.

Saw a couple of jakies over the other side of the river - i didnae realise it was your good self !
James Jackson 14 May 2008

Just read his blog and he seems like a genuinely nice and, errm, genuine guy. Hope they have a good time in the UK (although, of course, Requiem ain't bad for a start...).
 James Oswald 14 May 2008
In reply to Lemony:
What does he mean on his site by E8 and "full value"?
Wingman 14 May 2008
In reply to james oswald:

worth the grade.

Alex Roddie 14 May 2008
Incredible, for a climber of my lowly ability it is scarcely possible to even comprehend how difficult such a route must be. It's a striking line, too.

I await developments with interest.
 James Oswald 14 May 2008
In reply to Hay:
And how much lighter do you think he is than Dunne?
 SonyaD 14 May 2008
In reply to JLS: You going to Dumby tommorrow/Fri/Weekend? Keep us up to date with everything if you do? Would be fab being over there watching!
 JLS 14 May 2008
In reply to lasonj:

>"You going to Dumby tommorrow/Fri/Weekend?"

Plan to be there tomorrow but not sure there after. As much as I love Dumby I think three times a week is just about enough!

There was no action on the big wall tonight. As I arrived young Ben Litster who's also working on Requiem was just leaving after a shunt session on it. In fact the most excitement at Dumby tonight was me falling a couple of metres onto the last bolt on Abstract Art, a route with the weighty grade of F6c.
 Skyfall 14 May 2008
Watching this with fascination. Go Sonny!
 atlantis 15 May 2008
In reply to JonC: Yes. Go! "Sonnie"

And as they they say in Canada.. "Kudos to you!" All the way
 SonyaD 15 May 2008
In reply to JLS: So, we'll not be seeing any clips of you on Committed2 then, haha!
Ridge pushing in.. 15 May 2008
In reply to Morgan Woods:
> (In reply to Lemony)
>
> ST speaking about UKC:
>
> "In Canada we have a few blogs and websites for the community, but unfortunately, more often than not the threads quickly turn to rubbish."
>
> yeah that never happens on here ;p

Must admit I thought he'd been looking at another UKC....

Also best of luck to all at Dumby.
 Michael Ryan 15 May 2008
In reply to Ridge pushing in..:
> (In reply to Morgan Woods)
> [...]
>
> Must admit I thought he'd been looking at another UKC....

You'll find that people have a whole range of perceptions about UKC! Each one unique.
 edg 15 May 2008
In reply to Mick Ryan - UKClimbing.com: And all those who disagree with mine are wrong! Who wants to argue about it?
 hutchm 15 May 2008
In reply to Ridge pushing in..:

ST has an entertaining blog. Although his mate Cory's driving style appears not to change much, regardless of which continent he's on...
 atlantis 15 May 2008
In reply to Lobby Dosser: Re: however a few blank stares made me think he had trouble understanding the Glesgae!

Well he wouldn't be the only one; and he'd certainly have trouble understanding Glaswegian, as do most of us who are 'from' the U.K.
 Chris F 15 May 2008
In reply to lasonj:
> Would be fab being over there watching!

Indeed. I reckon Bill Oddie should have a Trotterwatch series.

lex 15 May 2008
In reply to atlantis:
> (In reply to Lobby Dosser)
>
> This may help
>
> http://www.urbandictionary.com/define.php?term=Glasweigen

I'd be a bit wary of using the 7th entry down in the Dundonian section.... I can see potential for an unfortunate mis-understanding....

Lex
 atlantis 15 May 2008
In reply to lex: Yep, that one should be eliminated for sure.
 dek 15 May 2008
In reply to lex:

> I'd be a bit wary of using the 7th entry down in the Dundonian section.... I can see potential for an unfortunate mis-understanding....
>
> Lex
In my experience it's usually prefixed with "You Yah!" as a term of endearment.
 Wry Gob 15 May 2008
In reply to Conquistador of the usless:
> (In reply to Erik B)

"you know what the friction is like there when it's warm"

Has it not been quite cool, dry and breezy lately? Perfect conditions I would have thought.
 Wee Davie 15 May 2008
In reply to Wry Gob:

Ayberdeen might be Baltic but we are having shorts and T shirt weather down here in the Costa del Weeg.

Davie
 tony 15 May 2008
In reply to Wry Gob:

Conditions, pah! It snowed the day Dave MacLeod did Rhapsody!
 JLS 15 May 2008
In reply to Wry Gob:

>"Has it not been quite cool, dry and breezy lately? Perfect conditions I would have thought."

It's actually been feeling very warm down at Dumby and the breeze has been coming from the East hence the crag is on the sheltered lee side. It's forecast to be cooler today and is overcast in Glasgow as I type so should be better today but it could still be doing with a westerly breeze.

The friction has been far from the best recently.
 Brendan 15 May 2008
I was down at Dumby today and saw a guy from Llanberis called Pete onsight Chemin De Fer (E5) - seems like all strong guys are converging on West Glasgow at once.
In reply to Brendan: Well, another nice evening at Dumby.

Sonnie said he linked it this morning twice, but was struggling a bit this afternoon in the warmth. I think it's probably going to go, just needs the skin and wether!

A no-show from the Dunne/Pearson combo though.....
 JLS 15 May 2008
In reply to Alasdair Fulton:

>"A no-show from the Dunne/Pearson combo though....."

A minor domestic emergency, apparently.
alessandro di guglielmo 20 May 2008

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...