UKC

The Best Gritstone Boulder....?

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 Liam Copley 21 Nov 2008
Which in your opinion is the best Gritstone boulder? taking into account of things like, quality of rock, amount and quality of problems, setting/location, visual look...ect

Possible candidates in my opinion..

The Pebble - Plantation - a very large boulder that has loads of good problems and has nice rock. has a amazing flat top where yoga can be practised looking out to very nice scenery.

The Business boulder - plantation - another large boulder, has loads of good problems, good landings, yoga is a bit more difficult.

trackside boulder - curbar - very easy access, nice landings, good problems.

i want more , give me your ultimate Gritstone Boulder.
OP Liam Copley 21 Nov 2008
In reply to Liam Copley: mother cap?, havn't climbed on it but looks nice.
In reply to Liam Copley: c'mon 39 users currently online, get ya boulders out!
 JSA 21 Nov 2008
In reply to Liam Copley: the virgin boulder-Almscliff
 andi turner 21 Nov 2008
In reply to Liam Copley:
> The Pebble - Plantation - a very large boulder that has loads of good problems and has nice rock. has a amazing flat top where yoga can be practised looking out to very nice scenery.
>

What! Since when did Stanage become a scene out of Karate Kid.

Have to agree with Virgin Boulder, for the best rock and quality of problems I'd go for the Fourth Cloud Boulder.
 joe_alexander 21 Nov 2008
In reply to andi turner: the boot crack boulder at caley has some killer problems, as well as some class routes
 krank 21 Nov 2008
In reply to andi turner:
I second that, the Tetris bloc is oh so sweet.
neilinut 21 Nov 2008
In reply to Liam Copley:

The Tank
 The Pylon King 21 Nov 2008
In reply to Liam Copley:

The Napoleon boulder at Derwent west - tranquil setting and amazing problems
 Dom Whillans 21 Nov 2008
In reply to Liam Copley:
caley is WAY better than stanage IMNSHO...

argyle_dude 21 Nov 2008
In reply to Liam Copley:

Surely the best boulder is the one having most fun? :-s
 anonymouse 21 Nov 2008
In reply to Dom Whillans:
> caley is WAY better than stanage IMNSHO...
And if you wander around for long enough in the trees, you can find completely unclimbed boulders of an exciting size and character. But I'm not telling where...
 dread-i 21 Nov 2008
In reply to Liam Copley:
Wimberry boulders are good, as there is no one there most of the time. Some are high, some have dodgy landings, all are in a nice setting and only 10 mins walk from the tea van.

Caley is another fantastic area. Widdop, Bridestones (though they are steadily getting easier due to erosion).

Stanage is for punters and cockneys, or so I've been told.
 Chris Craggs Global Crag Moderator 21 Nov 2008
In reply to Liam Copley:

Higgar Tor,

Chris
 Eagle River 21 Nov 2008
In reply to Liam Copley:

Its very hard to choose just one boulder as I've got plenty of favorite problems which are on a boulder with no other problems.

The Grouch for example at Brimham is possibly my favorite single problem, but for multiple problems I'd agree with the virgin boulder. I'd done numerous V6s before I got the V4 traverse and the V7 from the bottom to the diagonal crack then the break is another favorite, its so steep and powerful.
 Kid Spatula 21 Nov 2008
In reply to Liam Copley:

The Sugar Loaf at Caley. Caley full stop really.
 Reaver2k 21 Nov 2008
In reply to Kid Spatula:

The Sugar Loaf at Wimberry isn't half bad either. So far, from my relatively limited experience, I would have to say either The Pebble, or The Sugar Loaf. The Tank at Wimberry looks nice, but when up there I just plain cack my pants.
In reply to argyle_dude:
> (In reply to Liam Copley)
>
> Surely the best boulder is the one having most fun? :-s

haha, good 1
In reply to dread-i:
> (In reply to Liam Copley)

>
> Stanage is for punters and cockneys, or so I've been told.

not sure thats correct. I wouldn't actually label stanage as a punters place, although some of the problems are overgraded which is a shame, but the climbing 'awesome' as some would say
 dread-i 21 Nov 2008
In reply to Liam Copley:
>not sure thats correct...
I wasn't being entirely serious. Though I see you don't disagree that its full of southern shandy drinkers

In reply to dread-i: lol, and to think about it, i have met a fair few londoners at stanage in the past, but have never met any at other crags. Which is fariyl conluding
In reply to Liam Copley: fairly*
 JSA 21 Nov 2008
In reply to dread-i:

you don't see many southerners venturing into yorkshire though, maybe it's because yorkshire has a history of sand-bagging? or maybe the peak really is over graded?
Mini 21 Nov 2008
In reply to Liam Copley: Roaches lower tier main boulder - problems for everyone!
 Ben C 21 Nov 2008
In reply to Liam Copley: The Calf-Ilkley hard core steep bouldering or crazy high ball slab. And cut steps for punters sweet!
 Monk 21 Nov 2008
In reply to the inspiral carpet:
> (In reply to dread-i)
>
> you don't see many southerners venturing into yorkshire though, maybe it's because yorkshire has a history of sand-bagging? or maybe the peak really is over graded?

Or maybe it's because Yorkshire is a 4 hour drive to the Peak's 2.5-3hrs?
 Dom Whillans 21 Nov 2008
In reply to Monk:
> (In reply to the inspiral carpet)
> [...]
>
> Or maybe it's because Yorkshire is a 4 hour drive to the Peak's 2.5-3hrs?

weak! the real reason is that southerners have no comprehension of where real rock is... the soap-dodging wall-rats of LAHNDAHN would have no idea if you said you'd been to Caley at the weekend (a crag so good, marillion wrote a song about it)
 j_duds 21 Nov 2008
In reply to Liam Copley:

Only been twice, but Calf at Ilkley is very good.

The Business boulder - another good 1.

Why does it have to be one boulder?
As burbage south has plenty of fab boulders and problems, in a great setting, and has a great circuit with little walking (shame about all the students groups that seam to go!).
 Chris F 21 Nov 2008
In reply to Ben C:
> (In reply to Liam Copley) The Calf-Ilkley hard core steep bouldering or crazy high ball slab. And cut steps for punters sweet!

Also for easy descent.

Is the leaning block at Brimham a boulder? I would have that in my back garden - everything from diff - E7 and some top bouldering.

Chris F 21 Nov 2008
> (In reply to Monk)
> [...]
>
> weak! the real reason is that southerners have no comprehension of where real rock is... the soap-dodging wall-rats of LAHNDAHN would have no idea if you said you'd been to Caley at the weekend (a crag so good, marillion wrote a song about it)

It's because Yorkshire bouldering is crap - nothing worthwhile doing, nothing to see here, move along, stay at plantation. Thanks.

Lemony 21 Nov 2008
In reply to Chris F: Do you mean Cubic Block? Good choice!
 Chris F 21 Nov 2008
In reply to Lemony: Sorry yes. It's been a while.
 HughM 21 Nov 2008
> (In reply to Monk)
> weak! the real reason is that southerners have no comprehension of where real rock is... the soap-dodging wall-rats of LAHNDAHN would have no idea if you said you'd been to Caley at the weekend (a crag so good, marillion wrote a song about it)

Why go all the way to Yorkshire (or even the Peak) when we have our own boulders here in London:
http://www.fadwebsite.com/2008/08/14/john-frankland-boulder-a-dual-site-per...
http://www.ukclimbing.com/logbook/crag.php?id=9490

Caley doesn't look so great now, does it!
 Dom Whillans 21 Nov 2008
In reply to Chris F:
> (In reply to Dom Whillans)
> [...]
>
> It's because Yorkshire bouldering is crap - nothing worthwhile doing, nothing to see here, move along, stay at plantation. Thanks.

on second thoughts, yeah, you're right... tis awful, folk should stay at the plantation. could you imagine the erosion and polish around mister smooth et al if the hordes got on to it?
In reply to A Nidderdale boulderer.:

I'd say where it is but we don't want it getting nicked and dumped in central London!
 rice boy 21 Nov 2008
In reply to A Nidderdale boulderer.: Go on! No more teasing. Where is this beauty? Don't need to tell anyone else, just me ... me ... mine!!!
 Dom Whillans 21 Nov 2008
In reply to rice boy:
> (In reply to A Nidderdale boulderer.) Go on! No more teasing. Where is this beauty? Don't need to tell anyone else, just me ... me ... mine!!!

uh? clue MIGHT be in the tags that go with the piccy?

Widdop? nah.
 rice boy 21 Nov 2008
In reply to A Nidderdale boulderer.: Ha! You give too much away! North Yorkshire crag....

This unfortunately is where the story ends for me. Don't often venture past the cliff due to distances involved. Tis a shame though, some lovely looking climbs. Looks Slipstone-ish?
In reply to Liam Copley: why would you want any other boulder, it must be the best
 Eagle River 21 Nov 2008
In reply to Liam Copley:

The pebble is good but its just not steep enough!

And whilst the business boulder is a bit steeper the majority of the problems feel a bit eliminate but the top out on the "face of business" is always tasty though.

In reply to Eagle River: yeah, i agree the top out is pretty tasty
 Lemony 21 Nov 2008
In reply to A Nidderdale boulderer.: Actually, you're right that boulder is superb. I'd actually say that that cluster offers my favourite bouldering spot anywhere I've been. Better in some respects than Caley or Almscliff.
 Andy Crome 21 Nov 2008
In reply to A Nidderdale boulderer.:

That looks cracking and although I have an inkling, would like confirmation. (but not in public)
My vote will always go for the moptopbloc. (until it gets popular!)
 butterworthtom 21 Nov 2008
In reply to Liam Copley:
Why just Gritstone boulders?? Foolish people. Everyone knows that Grit is Cod's own rock, while Rhyolite is God's own rock. The Bowderstone is surely without question better than any of the crap at that choss pile Stanage. Id much rather find myself actually climbing on steep rock with some nice crimps than some contrived 2ft sideways shuffle that can be found on the likes of the "Business" boulder at Stanage.
 LakesWinter 21 Nov 2008
In reply to Liam Copley: MAKKA PAKKA c
In reply to butterworthtom: why gritsonte boulders? well, it narrows it down a bit more and i would be more likely to know where they are. But as for the bowderstone, it does look amazing and i wana climb on it next year some time..
In reply to butterworthtom:

Yes. [/Applaud]
Nidders at home on the wifes pc 21 Nov 2008
In reply to kidcakes:

Indeed moptop is an excelent boulder, but I have yet another boulder with some ace but very hard lines on at that venue.

As for the boulders in the photos, you know where to find me for further info.
 teapot 22 Nov 2008
In reply to Liam Copley:

The Eaglestone get my vote- a propper big gritstone boulder all on its own. Good variety of decent length problems above the best landing in the world- roof, groove, layback, dynos, aretes, some quality slopers- v1-v9 - plus a warm up traverse around the base.

Plus there are not many boulders which your prize for climbing a v0 (Men Only) is a local Baslow maiden!

James Oswald 22 Nov 2008
In reply to dread-i:
And not in condition for quite abit of the year.
 Peakpdr 22 Nov 2008
In reply to Liam Copley: the pock block at burbage south fantastic boulder .. boulder at the plantation with deliverance , pebble arete on

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...