UKC

PHOTO ARTICLE: The Climbers' Club Guidebook Centenary Do

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 UKC Articles 01 Apr 2009
[The Climbers' Club Guidebook Centenary Tankard, 2 kb]This year marks the 100th anniversary of the first Climbers' Club guidebook, LLiwedd by J.M. Archer Thomson and A.W. Andrews, published in 1909.

To mark this occasion the CC held a Guidebook Centennial Dinner at Shap Wells Hotel in Cumbria last weekend and published The Climbers' Club Guidebook Centenary Journal.

Presentations were given by Alex Huber, Doug Scott, Sir Chris Bonington and other well known climbers, and awards given to many volunteers that have made the CC's guidebooks a success.

Mick Ryan of UKClimbing.com was an invited guest and gives an illustrated account of this event.

Read more at http://www.ukclimbing.com/articles/page.php?id=1775
 Chris Craggs Global Crag Moderator 01 Apr 2009
In reply to UKC Articles:

Good report, sounds like an excellent and memorable bash.

The number of 'silver-backs' there makes me realise: young men climb and old men write about it!

Chris
 tobyfk 01 Apr 2009

Someone assure me that Steve Long dyed his hair grey for the occasion? He was only two years ahead of me at university. Makes me feel unacceptably old.
 Michael Ryan 01 Apr 2009
In reply to Chris Craggs:

Sir Chris has just nipped off to the Himalaya for several weeks - what is he now 74! Smiler was raving about sport climbing in Spain!
In reply to Mick Ryan - UKClimbing.com:

Very true - and I am having a dabble down here whilst working on the Cote d'Azure guidebook. But you have to admit there is a lack of 'yoof' in those photographs!

Chris
 Michael Ryan 01 Apr 2009

True young Chris.

I reckon they should get Franco Cookson to lead a CC Young Climbers Division!
 AlisonS 01 Apr 2009

Wow that looks as though it was a great event!
 Fidget 01 Apr 2009

> But you have to admit there is a lack of 'yoof' in those photographs!
Harumph

In reply to Mick:
> cheese spinach and sorrel roulade, broccoli and stilton soup, beef bourguignon with seasonal vegetation, completed by passion fruit meringue and sticky toffee pudding
Vegetation, love it. Did you manage to snaffle helpings of both desserts? I did!
In reply to Sarah_Clough:

Yes, sorry about that - point taken.

Mind you I didn't see too many 'ladies' in the photos who don't already qualify for their bus-passes though!

Chris

Michael Ryan 01 Apr 2009
In reply to Sarah_Clough:

Did Alex propose to you?
 Fidget 02 Apr 2009

But most of the photos are of the famous names, who are likely to be older to have gained that experience to get good. Okay, so there was a good proportion of oldies there, but there were a fair few younger faces too.
Removed User 02 Apr 2009
In reply to Sarah_Clough: One would hope the youth would be out climbing hard routes rather than black tieing it up in Shap.
 Andy Saxby 02 Apr 2009

Chris

I think it depends on what you think of as youth, I have been in the CC for 10 years & am under 40. I was pleased (& a little supprised) at how many people from my age group & younger attended. Sure the photos of the top table show older people but given the nature of the event that is not surprising.

It is also interesting to note that Pete Stirling & Richard Wheeldon are taking/ have taken up high level positions in the PSC both are in their 40's. The main committee also has several people of a similar age including 2 VP's.

It is my considered opinion that whilst the CC has to ensure it still attracts new young members; it is at present in good health. Especially as we currently live in a time with an ageing general population & people remain active longer.

Regards
Andy

TraceyR 02 Apr 2009
In reply to Andy Saxby: I was there also. Brilliant afternoon of very inspirational speakers.

Alex Huber is a god!

Back to Bristol on the Sunday via Hutton Roof - a lovely little crag enjoyed in glorious sunshine.

Tracey (new CC member who also happens to be female and only 41!)
 Henry Iddon 02 Apr 2009

Were you in Black Tie Mick?
 Andy Saxby 02 Apr 2009
In reply to TraceyR:

Tracey

Did not do the speakers on Saturday as I was supposed to be running elsewhere which ended up only being partially achieved (it's a long story!)

I have looked at your profile, which does not give much away, have we met? I think we may have at May Cottage last August BH

Regards
Andy
 TraceyR 02 Apr 2009
In reply to Andy Saxby: Yes, May Cottage last August (was there with Nigel and Helen Barry getting roped into dagger checking) and also spoke to you on Saturday night when you were speaking with Alison and Andy.

T
 Andy Saxby 03 Apr 2009
In reply to TraceyR:

Tracey

That's who I thought you were, thanks for confirming it. Hope we see you again soon

Regards
Andy
ScottA 03 Apr 2009
Nostalgia, it’s not what it used to be!! Aren't we all great. Lets give ourselves a big pat on the back.
Robert Bennett 07 Apr 2009
Maybe that is why some of the recent guides produced by the CC are written in a style reminiscent of guides produced 20 or 30 years back.
Whilst I realise the substantial difficulties involved with compilation of a comprehensive guide to areas such as Meirionnydd, I would suggest that a better format would be less wordy and adopt a uniform layout to each area and crag. such as that used in the current series of FRCC guides.
 Al Evans 07 Apr 2009
In reply to Robert Bennett:
> (In reply to Chris Craggs)
> Maybe that is why some of the recent guides produced by the CC are written in a style reminiscent of guides produced 20 or 30 years back.
> Whilst I realise the substantial difficulties involved with compilation of a comprehensive guide to areas such as Meirionnydd, I would suggest that a better format would be less wordy and adopt a uniform layout to each area and crag. such as that used in the current series of FRCC guides.

That is completre rubbish, look at the three latest guides, Lundy, Llanberis and Portland, none of which fit your criticism, it is hard to distinguish the new (excellent) Ground Up guide to Gogarth North from a new CC guide.
In reply to Al Evans:
Your typical polemic comes as no surprise, however, I am not familiar with the guides you mention and I stand corrected if styles have improved.My experience of usage of both the Meirionnydd guides and the last CC Pembroke guide prompted my comments.
 John2 07 Apr 2009
In reply to Robert Bennett: You say 'Maybe that is why some of the recent guides produced by the CC are written in a style reminiscent of guides produced 20 or 30 years back', then you support this by mention of the last CC Pembroke guide (published in 1996). By my quick count the CC have published 18 guides since 1996. As Al says, have a look at the latest Wye Valley, Lundy and Llanberis guides before engaging in argument with those who have seen them.
 Fidget 07 Apr 2009
In reply to Robert Bennett:

The Meirionnydd guide was brought out 7 years ago, not really recent
I think a non standard layout to crags, i.e. photo topos for some, diagrams for others, neither for others, makes perfect sense for a definitive guide - space saving and shows attention to each area as the relevant representation is chosen. Some areas a photo topo doesn't help as you can't see up anyway, and a little plan of the bottom of the crag is more helpul, like some areas in the Wye Valley guide.
In reply to John2: No argument against guides I havent seen, just those I possess. If the styles have improved,all the better- I need a new llanberis guide and look forward to reading and using it.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...