UKC

What should I be looking for in a Museli?

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
J1234 30 Apr 2013
Hi,
serious question. I have lost a lot of weight and I am looking to shift from Porridge to Muesli for summer breakfasts, now generally I would just pick the cheapest, job sorted, but I think I have heard that Museli is not always the healthy option that it cracks up to be, no idea why.
So is this a choice to consider or just pick up Aldi`s cheapest. Supermarkets I have access to are Asda, Tesco, CoOp, Aldi and Morrisons.
Cheers sjc
 Mike Stretford 30 Apr 2013
In reply to sjc: one with no added sugar.
 ti_pin_man 30 Apr 2013
In reply to sjc: whole grain
 another_mark 30 Apr 2013
In reply to sjc: Dead ladybirds.
 AlisonSmiles 30 Apr 2013
In reply to sjc:

One without added whey. Unless you're going to eat it with water not milk anyway.
 gd303uk 30 Apr 2013
In reply to another_mark:
> (In reply to sjc) Dead ladybirds.

And small stones,
 Alyson 30 Apr 2013
In reply to sjc: Most of the less healthy muesli brands have added sugar (eg standard Alpen). Wholegrain/wholewheat will help you feel fuller for longer and get a slow release of energy throughout the day; as will oats. I once bought a load of individual ingredients from Holland and Barrett to make my own muesli with but to be honest I'm not sure it saved me a significant amount of money.
J1234 30 Apr 2013
In reply to sjc:
Thanks for the replies. It`s sounding like maybe the deluxe offerings may not be the best. I shall have to go to the supermarket with my reading glasses.
 John Ww 30 Apr 2013
In reply to gd303uk:

Bread.
Apples.
Very small rocks.
Cider!
Great gravy.
Cherries.
Mud.
Churches.
Lead.

A duck!

HTH, JW
 krikoman 30 Apr 2013
In reply to sjc: Weavils
 Alyson 30 Apr 2013
In reply to sjc: I like Jordans but it's not the cheapest brand. Morrisons do a decent wholewheat one I think.
 galpinos 30 Apr 2013
In reply to sjc:

On that says Dorset Cereals on the front.
 GrahamD 30 Apr 2013
In reply to sjc:

Cheapest one you can get with no added sugar, then add mixed dried fruit / nuts / banana to taste to vary things.
 duchessofmalfi 30 Apr 2013
No sugar and try to avoid a ridiculous overload of raisins - some very cheap ones can have a lot of dust and small flakes which can be unappetising - a bit like trying to eat very old porridge oats raw.

Ladybirds and weavils add protein and roughage.
J1234 30 Apr 2013
In reply to duchessofmalfi:
Yes I am thinking the too much fruits and nuts`, whilst yummy, could carry fats and sugars.
Porridge is so simple with a few nuts and prunes, just a bit stodgey for summer.
 staceyjg 30 Apr 2013
In reply to sjc:

I bought the morrisons Swiss-style, no added sugar (in the blue box) as a tide-me-over until I do a big shop, I now love it and don't buy anything else.
 Jon Stewart 30 Apr 2013
In reply to sjc:

Make it yer sen.
 muppetfilter 30 Apr 2013
In reply to sjc: A lot of brands lie with big promises of exotic fruits and berries only to find they are 25% raisins ...
 ripper 30 Apr 2013
In reply to muppetfilter:
> (In reply to sjc) A lot of brands lie with big promises of exotic fruits and berries only to find they are 25% raisins ...

EEEE, I remember when raisins WERE exotic...
ice.solo 30 Apr 2013
In reply to muppetfilter:
> (In reply to sjc) A lot of brands lie with big promises of exotic fruits and berries only to find they are 25% raisins ...

yes, and f*cken banana chips.
 iksander 30 Apr 2013
In reply to sjc: Until recently Asda used to do a 55% fruit muesli which was really good, better than Dorset Cereals etc. haven't found a good replacement yet. I like to add dates, pine nuts and pumpkin seeds to mine.
J1234 30 Apr 2013
In reply to iksander:
But won`t 55% fruit mean it is high in Sugar, I thought the balance should be to the Oatey stuff with a little nuts and fruit.
 Alyson 30 Apr 2013
In reply to sjc: If you are eating a bowl of muesli just prior to getting on a bike and riding 50 miles then you'll appreciate the sugar from that dried fruit. If you're eating a bowl just prior to sitting on your backside at a desk all morning, you'd be better off with a low-GI option with less fruit and more oats/wholegrains.
 Kimono 30 Apr 2013
In reply to sjc:
try soaking it overnight in orange juice...much more easily digestable and yummy!
 freerangecat 30 Apr 2013
In reply to sjc:

in the normal ukc spirit of giving an answer to a question you didn't ask, have you considered swapping porridge for oatibix instead on the summer? you can then add whatever toppings you want and they're much lower fat/sugar etc than muesli (they're more filing than weetabix).
 DaveHK 30 Apr 2013
In reply to sjc:

Just be careful, many people have drowned in muesli over the years having been dragged under by strong currants.
 Morgan Woods 30 Apr 2013
In reply to sjc:

why not just go with Weet-a-bix then.

I used to have a fancy expensive muesli that i found out was 20% sugar so changed to Weet-bix as they are known here in Oz. Slice a banana on top if you need some fruit.
J1234 30 Apr 2013
In reply to Morgan Woods and Freerange,
just thought thin healthy people ate Muesli. The boy eats weetabix so we have in the cupboard already, job sorted, thanks.
sjc
 John Ww 30 Apr 2013
In reply to DaveHK:

Merci monsieur
 Morgan Woods 30 Apr 2013
In reply to sjc:

no probs....at only 4% sugar you can't go wrong.
In reply to freerangecat:
> (In reply to sjc)
>
> in the normal ukc spirit of giving an answer to a question you didn't ask, have you considered swapping porridge for oatibix instead on the summer? you can then add whatever toppings you want and they're much lower fat/sugar etc than muesli (they're more filing than weetabix).

That, or the Skoda Octavia.

philhilo 30 Apr 2013
In reply to sjc: Boringly serious - Aldi luxury muesli - no sugar, no whey just shed loads of fruit or nuts, take your pick, and not stupidly expensive like the other stores or a box of oats like the uber cheap.
 jj0076 30 Apr 2013
Just be careful you don't drown in the milk - I had a near miss once when I got dragged under by a strong currant.

[sorry]
 DaveHK 30 Apr 2013
In reply to jj0076:

Too slow my friend, too slow.
 Mike-W-99 30 Apr 2013
In reply to philhilo:
> (In reply to sjc) Boringly serious - Aldi luxury muesli - no sugar, no whey just shed loads of fruit or nuts, take your pick, and not stupidly expensive like the other stores or a box of oats like the uber cheap.
I tried this once and reckoned it was re-badged dorset muesli which is no bad thing.
Removed User 30 Apr 2013
In reply to sjc:

In addition to the usual grass seeds, horse food and raw porrdge in it, you should look for health-fortifying inclusions such as lardons, ham, duck gizzards, capers, anchoves and hard cheese slivers to make it edible as well.
 John Ww 30 Apr 2013
In reply to sjc:

What should you be looking for in a (sic) "Museli"?

Why, that must surely be...the correct spelling!

Can't believe it's got so far - standards are slipping!
ice.solo 30 Apr 2013
In reply to Removed User:

Very good, leopold.
Removed User 30 Apr 2013
In reply to ice.solo:

Not really. I forgot the foie gras.
 lost1977 01 May 2013
In reply to sjc:

Dorset cereals berries and cherries is awesome (although i do tend to cut mine with some extra oats)
 mbh 06 May 2013
In reply to sjc:

I buy the cheapest oats from any supermarket, then add a handful of seeds and nuts bought ready mixed from my fruit and veg shop, then any fruit I might have, whether berries or bananas.

The seed/nut mix is £5 a kilo and lasts me about three weeks.
 RoK 07 May 2013
In reply to sjc:
1Kg Porridge oats
Olive Oil
Honey
Nuts
Seeds
Milled Linseed
Dried Fruits

Oven to 180c

Bung the olive oil and honey into a large deep sided baking tray. Stick it in the oven until the two are runny. Take it back out and put all the oats, nuts and seeds in and mix well.
Back into the oven for 5-6 mins. Take out and mix every 5-6 mins for 25-30 mins. For the last 5-6 minute session in the oven add the milled linseed and dried fruit.

Leave to cool and give it the odd stir while cooling.

I can't remember how much oil and honey to use and I now just pour in a good bit of each, certainly half a jar of honey.
The amount and types of fruit, nuts and seeds are entirely to individual taste.

Serve with milk or natural yogurt.
If you're bringing it overnight on the hills pre mix dried milk powder into your container and add water in the morning for brekkie.

Takes about 30 mins in total and you have a good three weeks of muesli that will give you slow release energy and block most toilets.

R.
 LeeWood 07 May 2013
In reply to sjc: Climbing foodies should keep an eye on Beth Rodden's blog. Here's her granola recipe:

http://blog.bethrodden.com/2012/05/making-homemade-granola.html

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...