UKC

NEWS: INTERVIEW: Ben Bransby on Baron Greenback, E9, 2nd Ascent

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 UKC News 27 Mar 2014
Ben Bransby making the second ground-up ascent (5th overall ascent) of The Promise (E7) at Burbage North, 3 kbBen Bransby has made the 2nd ascent of Baron Greenback, without testing the fall. UKClimbing.com interviewed Ben about his ascent...

Read more at http://www.ukclimbing.com/news/item.php?id=68808
 JKW 27 Mar 2014
In reply to UKC News:
It's always good to know that there is another Mum out there who is willing to get out and belay
Well done Ben.
 the sheep 27 Mar 2014
In reply to J&PW:

" I carried up a 9ft fence post which I wedged diagonally across the starting gully and clipped a sling in the top end – at about the same point as the starting holds. It sounds a bit odd but it protected the start really well and I did place it on lead!!"

Brilliant, imaginative gear placement
In reply to the sheep:

Presumably this could be extended. What's to stop the party carrying up a suitably cut telegraph pole for any route and leaning it against the crag?

jcm
 Guy 27 Mar 2014
In reply to johncoxmysteriously:

You could climb the log too if you want. Let's face it as long as you aren't damaging the rock and are open and honest about your tactics then it is a free country. Personally I wouldn't use a lump of wood on this route because I couldn't get off the ground carrying it.

Let us know how you protect it.
 the sheep 27 Mar 2014

Seemingly the pole was placed for protection not any point of aid. Nobody has tried to pull a fast one so whats the issue?
In reply to the sheep:

I didn't say there was an issue. I observed, in a light-hearted way, that the way to protect all serious grit routes was now open, as long as you can carry up a sufficiently large and tailored pole.

jcm
 the sheep 27 Mar 2014

So all the jobs once done by sherpas are now to be taken over by tall, well dressed Eastern Europeans?? Its immigration gone mad, where is Farage when you need him?
 MischaHY 28 Mar 2014
In reply to the sheep:

Brilliant.
 Oliver Hill 28 Mar 2014

Could someone explain to me how this fits into the myth? of no bolts on 'the best rock and ethics' in the world? Practise, bolts, ladders and clip stick! Why not just replace the tat with parabolts? - climb onsight and stop the double standards. Surely a safe onsight is better than this?
Still congratulations to both and keep alive.
In reply to Oliver Hill:

Oh, get a grip, man. It's quirky, fun and accepts the challenge left by aid climbers of fifty odd years ago. If you don't get it, I'm afraid neither I nor anybody else can explain it to you.

jcm
 Guy 28 Mar 2014
In reply to johncoxmysteriously: Apologies, hadn't picked up on the light humour. It's so difficult to tell with you!

Guy 28 Mar 2014
In reply to UKC News:

I do seem to remember a route being lead I think on Gogarth using a couple of wooden blocks which were placed in a bit horizontal slot with a friend on top. Psychological support comes to mind.
 Arms Cliff 28 Mar 2014
In reply to UKC News:

Nice! I look forward to Ben chopping the bolts and leading the route without them a la Fred Zinnerman at Caley.
In reply to UKC News:

If anyone cares to see the unusual gear there's a photo here: https://twitter.com/dmmclimbing/status/448556575037603840/photo/1
 Reach>Talent 28 Mar 2014
In reply to Paul Phillips - UKC and UKH:
https://twitter.com/dmmclimbing/status/448556575037603840/photo/1

Dear DMM

I would like to complain about a harness that you manufactured, please could you tell me how it is acceptable for the gear loops to snap on the first time I used it? I was only carrying a couple of bits of gear!

Yours

B. Bransby

Ramblin dave 28 Mar 2014
In reply to Reach>Talent:

You'd feel pretty silly if you left one of those on the ground "to save weight" and then got half way up the route and realized that the only solid gear was a nine-foot fence post...
 Graham Hoey 30 Mar 2014

I don't blame him, there was a lot at stake
 Sam Beaton 30 Mar 2014
In reply to Oliver Hill:

I reckon carrying a 9ft fence post up that slope to the crag is E9 in itself
 Wft 31 Mar 2014
In reply to Sam Beaton:

in that case we better back date the first E9 to a Mr J. Christ
 deepsoup 31 Mar 2014

It's a Big-bro. A *really* big bro.
 jonathandavey 31 Mar 2014
In reply to UKC News:

Pete W has now done the direct start! Hope there's another video to come, you'd be a long way above the pads when you reach the bolts.
 cb_6 15 Apr 2014

Well I don't get it, so would care to at least try to explain? The message seems to be that bolts are never acceptable on grit... except for when they are. Just because they're old aid bolts rather than new sport bolts I don't see how climbing on them is ethically different. If the bolts weren't there, would drilling new ones have been acceptable?
In reply to cb_6:

> Well I don't get it, so would care to at least try to explain? The message seems to be that bolts are never acceptable on grit... except for when they are. Just because they're old aid bolts rather than new sport bolts I don't see how climbing on them is ethically different. If the bolts weren't there, would drilling new ones have been acceptable?

JCM, can you deal with this? I just can't be a***d.
 cb_6 15 Apr 2014
In reply to paul_in_cumbria:

Excuse me? I wasn't being facetious mate, I really am interested because I simply don't understand and will accept a clear explanation. I don't come from a trad/grit background.
 Bob 15 Apr 2014
In reply to cb_6:

Whoever said ethics was easy?

Drilling new bolts would not be acceptable.

A similar case can be made about chipped holds. Livesey cleaned Downhill Racer with a brush of 6 inch nails according to some wag at the time. Those holds are still there but everyone uses them. If the slab hadn't been brushed/improved in the way it had then it wouldn't be done today.
 cb_6 15 Apr 2014
In reply to Bob:

No no, I get that drilling new bolts wouldn't be acceptable. That was a sarcastic rhetorical question. What I'm driving at is why it's acceptable to continue climbing on old aid bolts and still call it trad. I would have thought those bolts would be chopped.
 Bob 15 Apr 2014
In reply to cb_6:

Human nature and one of the seven deadly sins (hint begins with 'g')
 cb_6 15 Apr 2014
In reply to Bob:

Greed? Are you sure it isn't pride or lust? :-P
 Ramblin dave 15 Apr 2014
In reply to cb_6:

In general it seems to be human nature to treat stuff that's "historic" a bit differently. You might as well ask why we don't pull down the viaduct at Monsal Head given that it'd never get planning permission today.

Add to that the fact that noone's quite sure how much force it'd take to pull the bolts in question, and that the climb is consequently still as necky as hell.
 Simon 15 Apr 2014
In reply to Bob:

If the slab hadn't been brushed/improved in the way it had then it wouldn't be done today.

...errr yes it most certainly would fella!

cb_6 15 Apr 2014
In reply to Ramblin dave:

> In general it seems to be human nature to treat stuff that's "historic" a bit differently ... the climb is consequently still as necky as hell.

That seems easy enough to understand, thank you.
 Simon 15 Apr 2014
In reply to cb_6:

> No no, I get that drilling new bolts wouldn't be acceptable. That was a sarcastic rhetorical question. What I'm driving at is why it's acceptable to continue climbing on old aid bolts and still call it trad. I would have thought those bolts would be chopped.

some things you just need to accept in life... this is one of them...
 Bob 15 Apr 2014
In reply to Simon:

By "done" do you mean climbed or chipped? I'm meaning chipped.
 Simon 15 Apr 2014
In reply to Bob:

climbed
 Michael Hood 16 Apr 2014
In reply to cb_6: Ramblin dave has got the essence of it, one of the fundamental differences between trad and sport is the nature of any uncertainty. With sport the uncertainty is (nearly totally) confined to your physical ability, with trad other areas of uncertainty - quality of gear, mental ability with boldness etc come into it as well.

Old fixed gear that is doubtful has this uncertainty so is generally accepted as valid for new trad routes until somebody does without them - hence using the old aid bolts on Baron Greenback. The acceptability of new fixed gear is location dependent; e.g. on natural gritstone - never.

I wonder what the situation would be if the old bolts on BG were stonkingly solid - unlikely with any such old fixed gear - I suspect that they would still be used but there would be more ethical pressure for somebody to then do a bolt free ascent so that they could be chopped.

Al Evans 17 Apr 2014
In reply to Simon:

Given that on the second ascent when I followed Pete, I thought it just looked like a good brushing with a wire brush, none of this 6 inch nails rubbish, then you are probably right, the route would have been done by now with less eccentric brushing.
 cb_6 17 Apr 2014
In reply to Michael Hood:

Once again, thank you for the clear explanation. I don't see why others felt the need to be rude about it.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...