UKC

How to use a rope bag?

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Flying Spaghetti Monster 17 Nov 2014

I don't think a rope bag is a particularly difficult piece of kit to use, but the BMC have posted a video of how to use one.

I'm puzzled as to how their Technical Officer can get it wrong, and no-one spotted it in the filming the editing or posting it on the BMC site.

http://tv.thebmc.co.uk/video/how-to-use-a-rope-bag?current-channel=skills

C'mon guys you are supposed to represent climbers... pay attention!
Post edited at 17:45
 saffy 17 Nov 2014
In reply to Flying Spaghetti Monster:

Haha, that's really funny!

That's as wrong as you can get it. 10/10 BMC
 Doghouse 17 Nov 2014

haha )
 JLS 17 Nov 2014
Ha! Apart from the obvious error, you'd have thought a demonstration of a more "normal" sheet style rope bag would be more more useful. I dare say DMM make a suitable donation to the BMC coffers.
Post edited at 18:46
 Craigyboy13 17 Nov 2014

that is brilliant! well spotted
 goose299 17 Nov 2014

thank god, i've been wondering for ages how to use a rope bag

Agreed. This video is worse than useless. The leader needs to make sure that he ties on to the top end of the rope (unlike in this "demo"). Also, a rope bag should be spread out to that one can check that the rope is coming off the pile smoothly without tangling.

It isn't a standard rope bag I agree, but that is exactly how DMM show how to use it in their own video. As they make it, they probably know how to use it...

Also, a quick google would have told you that isn't the BMC Technical Officer, but the BMC/MTE Training Officer Jon Garside.

If you do have feedback on BMC videos and articles, you can always contact us, we rarely bite
 JLS 17 Nov 2014
In reply to Dan Middleton, BMC:

Whoosh...

In reply to JLS:

Ahem. Apart from grabbing the wrong end of the rope at the end. I'll go back to cooking my dinner...
 Chris Murray 17 Nov 2014

> It isn't a standard rope bag I agree, but that is exactly how DMM show how to use it in their own video. As they make it, they probably know how to use it...

I suspect that DMM don't recommend tying onto the bottom of the rope.
Flying Spaghetti Monster 17 Nov 2014

Sorry Dan, having Googled I now appreciate that you are the Technical Officer, not Jon, so you must have felt wrongly accused.

Just to clarify, its NOT the rope being put into the bag that I thought was wrong. I agree that this is how DMM show the bag being used.

As others have spotted - it was using the wrong end of the rope, that was the issue. This is not shown in the DMM video.

I don't think its unreasonable to expect the BMC/MTE's Training Officer to know which end of the rope to tie into, particularly when filming a video for BMC TV.
In reply to JLS:

Agreed. It seems odd that the BMC decided to pick probably one of the most quirky rope bags on the market and then demo it so well...
don't get me wrong, while the DMM Pitcher is a bit of a "marmite" brand, I really like them, especially for sea cliff climbing as they are more of a rope bucket than a bag, but sadly I was so dazzled by the demo that I missed the bit where it was explained how rope bags can extend the life of your rope, PLUS help keep your shoes clean on routes (by acting as a bit of a changing mat) which is good for your shoes plus good for the rock and then there were those practical tips like getting into the habit of always tying the bottom and top ends of the rope to a certain colour tab, to prevent the shame and merciless online abuse that you get from your peers when you inadvertently grab the wrong end!
I am sure this was all covered but I was distracted by the random DMM bouldering mat in the background...... anyway must go shopping for DMM... oops I mean climbing gear

Still, let's not be too cynical, it made me chuckle as one of the more random infomercials I have seen in a while, and no animals or children were harmed in the process.....

Yep, I can make my own blunders thanks! We've taken Jon outside for a sound thrashing, in his defence we both shot something like 15 clips each that day, and I think the novelty of being a film star had started to wear off by the time this one was shot.
Alex Messenger, BMC 18 Nov 2014
In reply to..Hi EveryoneJust a bit of background info on the now infamous How to Use a Ropebag clip.The clip is part of the skills channels on BMC TV. The idea with those channels is to break skills info down into short How-to clips that you can easily watch on your phone, etc. With all the clips, we're working from the ground up, covering all the basic skills first, before building them up. For example, this is the new bouldering channel:
http://tv.thebmc.co.uk/channel/bouldering-1

For most of the How-To clips, we get support from a manufacturer, such as DMM or Wild Country (Thanks), who provide shiny new kit to film, and the ropebag clip was filmed as part of a day of how-to filming where approximately 30 clips were filmed, all using DMM gear.

Well spotted on the rope end. We're taking our Training Officer, BMC TV manager and the film crew outside now, and will have them all shot. We'll then re-film the ropebag clip on our next outside filming day in the spring.

Check out the skills channels at http://tv.thebmc.co.uk/channel/skills

(Coming soon are: Southern Sandstone skills, Indoor climbing skills, multi-pitch climbing and winter skills)

And let us know anything you'd like to see covered, or get in touch if you're a manufacturer and would like to support any of the films.
Post edited at 10:33
 lithos 18 Nov 2014
In reply to Alex Messenger, BMC:

i'd remove that film until redone

suggest a 'how to rethread at top of sports route' video
 JLS 18 Nov 2014

Having the team shot seems a bit OTT.
I think mild electrocution would suffice.

> We're taking our Training Officer, BMC TV manager and the film crew outside now, and will have them all shot.

Probably more constructive to set them off leading at their limit while tied in to the wrong end of the rope.
Alex Messenger, BMC 18 Nov 2014
In reply to lithos:

Yep, we'll remove it when this thread dies. Meanwhile...

http://tv.thebmc.co.uk/video/lowering-off-a-sport-climb?current-channel=spo...

johncook 18 Nov 2014
Shooting is a bit excessive. How about making all the boulderers climb trad for a week, and all the trad climbers have to boulder for a week. The sport climbers can be shot!
Post edited at 11:09
 lithos 18 Nov 2014

oops i did look for that on the sports climbing channel
 ericinbristol 18 Nov 2014

How much did the BMC spend on this?
 Rick Graham 18 Nov 2014

Hi Dan

My 2P.

I am the proud owner of a Pitcher rope bag/sheet/bucket and quite like it.
Have tried innumerable rope bag types and found none perfect.
The pitcher annoys me by having to hold all 4 tapes to tumble the rope in, but the main problem is that the rope is then "mixed up " and may not be the anticipated way up.
So basically pot luck if which end is correct.
We always run the rope through before the first route to make sure.

I would recommend two other additions to the video.
Decide on a colour for the upper rope end. The classic is Red/Danger/Leader.

Also, why no effective stopper knot in the bottom end ??????
 lithos 18 Nov 2014
In reply to Rick Graham:

i agree on all points , having one and find it a great idea that doesn't quite work as i do.

thought exactly the same red for danger and tie a proper knot in blue end
 Cusco 18 Nov 2014

(Coming soon are: Southern Sandstone skills, Indoor climbing skills, multi-pitch climbing and winter skills)

Cool.

So on the basis of the rope bucket clip, I look forward to classic instructional vids such as:

1) Southern Sandstone skills

"Learn to Lead with Cams and Nuts: Part 1 - Bowles Rocks"

2) Indoor climbing skills

"Belaying 20ft Out From Wall (How to Hit the Wall - and Others - Softly Following a Leader Fall)"

3) multi-pitch climbing

"Beginners Course Part 2: Mousetrap Zawn, Gogarth"

4) winter skills

"The Inherent Strength of Cornices"

:->
 Morgan Woods 19 Nov 2014

I wish they had this sort of thing when I was starting out....I've had to rely on common sense!
In reply to Cusco:

Wonderful. Inspires me to suggest more great titles:

"Learning to use the Grigri, inside out and backwards"
"Slip sliding away - the gentle art of slip knots"
"Belaying according to the KISS principle: why use four anchors when one would do?"
If you like these videos, you don't need a hard hat!
 ericinbristol 19 Nov 2014

Let's try this again:

How much did the BMC spend on this?

Jubjab 19 Nov 2014
Agree on the proper stopper knot for the bottom end. A simple overhand as shown in the video will come loose in no time, and as we all know, lowering off the end of the rope is a fairly common accident reason.
Alex Messenger, BMC 19 Nov 2014
In reply to ericinbristol:

Well, I wish I could say we had commissioned an agency to take a 15-man film crew out into the Peak to produce this blockbuster.

But in reality, it was two students, on work experience, and a fraction of a day of staff time, so not quite as exciting.

JLS 19 Nov 2014

>"But in reality, it was two students, on work experience, and a fraction of a day of staff time, so not quite as exciting."

That's the trouble with this country today, everybody wants to do everything on the cheap. It's no wonder we have become a nation of (agency) Tesco workers on zero hours contracts.
 ericinbristol 19 Nov 2014

Slightly snide. I and many others pay BMC membership and such questions are reasonable. If you wasted minimal only amounts of BMC money on merely duplicating a DMM video advert, good.

Alex Messenger, BMC 19 Nov 2014
In reply to ericinbristol:

Sorry, was just being lighthearted, but it is true. Often it's best to email us direct rather than asking specific questions on UKC, you'll get a faster response.

Check out the full range of skills films:

http://tv.thebmc.co.uk/channel/skills

Hopefully you'll agree, good value for money.

Well at last - an instructional video on this essential topic. I used it today on our local climbing wall and would like to thank the staff for recovering me, my rope bag and rope fankle from half way up the wall when my leader fell off. Dropping my lap top whilst suspended on the wall did take the edge off the day.
Post edited at 21:06

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...