UKC

VIDEO: UKC & Plas-y-Brenin: #1 How to put on a Harness

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 UKC Articles 09 Nov 2015
Instructional Videos 1 - Harness, 4 kbIn a new series on UKClimbing, we have teamed up with Plas-y-Brenin, the National Mountain Sports Centre, to cover a wide range of basic climbing techniques.. We will be explaining everything from putting on harnesses and tying figure of eights, to building belays and leading.

Read more
 FreddieSmith 11 Nov 2015
In reply to UKC Articles:

After over hearing a conversation at a climbing wall where a customer was trying to convince climbing wall staff he was ok to lead belay as he had watched some instructional videos, is there any concern that beginners might believe these videos to be an adequate replacement for proper instruction, especially in the case of leading and belaying?
 pebbles 11 Nov 2015
In reply to FreddieSmith:

the terminally stupid will always astound you. The same customer would probably also feel he was fine because he had read an article telling him how to do it
 Mike Highbury 11 Nov 2015
In reply to pebbles:
> the terminally stupid will always astound you. The same customer would probably also feel he was fine because he had read an article telling him how to do it

I know you mean, I still struggle to belt up my trousers in the morning.
 neuromancer 11 Nov 2015

Will they give us concise instructions on lacing our climbing shoes next?

I'm holding out for "how to apply chalk with a chalk ball".
 3leggeddog 12 Nov 2015

What would be better would be a "How to untangle a harness after removing it from your rucksac to then enable you to put it on" instructional video.

I have been struggling with that since the 80s
 ericinbristol 12 Nov 2015
In reply to 3leggeddog:

That's a long time to be struggling with one bit of untangling. Isn't your climbing partner a bit fed up by now?
 Jack Geldard 12 Nov 2015
In reply to ericinbristol:

Ha! That made me smile, very good!
 Offwidth 12 Nov 2015
In reply to neuromancer:

Well I'd argue most climbers I see have shoes that are too tight for most of their climbing and most climbers I see use too much chalk so yes maybe those videos would be helpful. Too many climbers also use harnesses that are not adjusted properly and some that are so old and worn they should have been retired years ago.
 GridNorth 12 Nov 2015
It may seem a bit OTT but I have seen many climbers with their leg loops down near their knees, so low in fact that I am sometimes tempted to warn them. Not wishing to appear "weightist" but it seems to be more prevalent amongst overweight climbers. IMO you can't have too much information out there as long as it is accurate and helpful to someone.

Al
Post edited at 11:31
 Jack Geldard 12 Nov 2015

Hi everyone,

This series of videos will go through the basics of climbing, from putting on a harness, through to tying in, building anchors etc. The videos might not be for you if you already know the techniques - but I think they do have a place, even something as simple as this. From my years of instructing I too (I agree with you GridNorth!) have seen lots of people wearing a harness slightly incorrectly, so why not start with the very basics?

We aim content/articles/news etc at all sorts of climbers on UKC, from total beginners (and even people who haven't started climbing yet) through to 'lifers'. This stuff is definitely at the beginner end of the spectrum, but is still valuable I hope.

Hopefully it is of interest to at least someone!!

And as an aside - I'll tell you what - leading a route then building a belay, all whilst having a camera pointed at you and trying to get everything 'text book' was pretty hard actually! When the longer vids come out I am waiting for a barrage of comments about how I have incorrectly rotated a carabiner or something! But at least in this video Dave has got his harness on right - nice one Dave!

Cheers,

Jack
 AlH 12 Nov 2015
In reply to Jack Geldard - UKC Chief Editor:

Reminds me of the, slightly cliched, story of American Coaching Icon John Wooden: each year he began his coaching program with a 30 minute lesson for his squad on how to put on their socks and shoes. The message being that if you get that wrong you can get blisters and discomfort, fail to focus / miss practise entirely and potentially fail to perform as well because of it. Do the basics well and build from there.

... And having been in front of the camera on Instructional videos I sympathise with how hard it is to get it textbook (and watch out for climbers from other countries finding it online and messaging you to say you've got it all wrong and your going to kill everyone)!
 James Thacker 23 Nov 2015
In reply to AlH:

Would be great if somebody would nip round at the beginning of the season and tell me how to dress properly..!

AlH 24 Nov 2015
In reply to James Thacker:

I'm about to get a lesson in that as I go outside now...
I will however be in staid Brit colours rather than the neons you wear. How do you cope dressing with a hangover!?

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...