UKC

Greatest guitar riff?

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 Tony the Blade 19 Dec 2015

Totally subjective, obviously.

But what's yours?

For me there's a plethora of AC/DC tracks, Thunderstruck, Whole Lotta Rosie etc. Then there's the whole Hendrix stuff, and let's not forget Guns n Roses (I'll award 'that' track the greatest opening riff), but for me I keep coming back to this, enjoy

youtube.com/watch?v=zt51rITH3EA&
 Ben07 19 Dec 2015
In reply to Tony the Blade:

For me it's led Zeppelin black dog!!! Easy 2 play and never get boring ☺☺☺☺
Removed User 19 Dec 2015

The answer to to the best riff is Zepplin. Which one depends on you particular taste.
 climber34neil 19 Dec 2015

Has to be some ozzy in there, crazy train, suicide solution? Maybe holy diver by dio, but for an instantly recognisable riff known by many I would say back in black
 felt 19 Dec 2015

"All Day And All Of The Night" (1964) set the barre high early doors
Rigid Raider 19 Dec 2015

I reckon one of the greatest rock tunes ever is Sweet Dream Alabama, it has a superb opening riff and lead gitar and is one of the best protest songs ever written. I never tire of hearing it.
Removed User 19 Dec 2015

Smiths-"How soon is now".
Removed User 19 Dec 2015

Agree with all of the above. But would add David Gilmor's rift in Pink Floyds Comfortably Numb.
cb294 19 Dec 2015

The best riffs are probably those that are immediately recognizable. Most people my age would probably spot Sabbath - Paranoid, AC/DC - Back in black, Zeppelin - Kashmir within a few bars.

CB

It's impossible to say which is the greatest. But I'd bet that either Jimmy Page or Malcolm Young played it.

T.
 Pbob 19 Dec 2015

Gotta be the intro to Phantom of the Opera (Iron Maiden version - not the Lloyd Webber version!!!)

In reply to Removed Userena sharples:

> Smiths-"How soon is now".

It would appear that this is the most recent so far... Where have all the riff makers gone?
 pec 19 Dec 2015
In reply to Removed UserDeleted bagger:

> Agree with all of the above. But would add David Gilmor's rift in Pink Floyds Comfortably Numb. >

Comfortably Numb doesn't have a riff in it and although there was rift between Gilmour and Waters it wasn't evident in this song

andymac 19 Dec 2015

And also 'Shine on You Crazy Diamond'

The 4 note riff is simple ,but instantly recognisable.

Probably my favourite Floyd song.

Shine on Sid.

Removed User 19 Dec 2015
In reply to pec:
Okay smarty pants. What about Neil Young on Big Box, does that count

youtube.com/watch?v=lwe1AzS4UIU&
Post edited at 10:18
In reply to Ben07:

> For me it's led Zeppelin black dog!!! Easy 2 play

Most of the great guitar riffs are easy to play and I'm sure that's one of the main reasons for their enduring appeal.

In reply to Pbob:

> Gotta be the intro to Phantom of the Opera (Iron Maiden version - not the Lloyd Webber version!!!)

Yes I do like that one and play it most days. Another one that's not so hard to play. All A minor pentatonic, like so many great riffs.
 pec 19 Dec 2015

> It would appear that this is the most recent so far... Where have all the riff makers gone? >

I think someone alluded to Sweet Child of Mine above which is probably more recent than How Soon is Now, just.
Slash is still knocking out the riffs though, his last three solo albums show he's on the best form of his life, here's a few sample riffs:
youtube.com/watch?v=r1zX0iDvMzQ&
youtube.com/watch?v=Kcn3uep1v2Y&

pec 19 Dec 2015

> Okay smarty pants. What about Neil Young on Big Box, does that count

There's a few chords at the beggining but not really a riff

Clarence 19 Dec 2015

For me it has to be AC/DC and especially Highway to Hell, the first tune I managed to play in its entirety on my old pointy rock beast axe.
Removed User 19 Dec 2015
In reply to pec:

I'll take that as a yes!

Cheers
 Yanis Nayu 19 Dec 2015

The one from Baker Street always gets me.
Removed User 19 Dec 2015
In reply to Yanis Nayu:

The saxophone bit was originally a guitar part.
 Skyfall 19 Dec 2015

Back in Black

youtube.com/watch?v=pAgnJDJN4VA&

Chris Harris 19 Dec 2015
In reply to Pursued by a bear:

> It's impossible to say which is the greatest. But I'd bet that either Jimmy Page or Malcolm Young played it.

> T.

May I draw your attention to a Mr Anthony Frank Iommi?
 Tobes 19 Dec 2015

Killing Jokes 'Eighties' which might have also had some influence on a certain Nirvana tune?
 IM 19 Dec 2015

Rory Gallagher 'Laundromat'
youtube.com/watch?v=6C38aV15IDs&

Thrudge 19 Dec 2015

So many to choose from. Iggy Pop has to be on the list for I Wanna be Your Dog:

youtube.com/watch?v=y95GtUJKVhg&
In reply to Chris Harris:

You may indeed. Close, very close, but just not quite for me.

T.
In reply to pec:

> I think someone alluded to Sweet Child of Mine above which is probably more recent than How Soon is Now, just.
Ah yes, that was me haha

Someone suggested a Killing Joke number, I remembered a very simple but effective riff, Wardance youtube.com/watch?v=7JUFdQ2p6Gg&

Then there's Ceremony by New Order

Getting more modern... what about Song 2 by Blur youtube.com/watch?v=SSbBvKaM6sk&
 nathan79 19 Dec 2015

While I'm sure that would have been nice, I just can't imagine it as anything other than a sax. Up there with the sax riff from Careless Whisper in greatness.

For me greatest riff either Black Night by Deep Purple or the moody heaviness of Black Sabbath by Black Sabbath but possibly both trumped by Riff Raff by AC/DC.
 Dominion 19 Dec 2015

Certainly worthy of nomination:

Lenny Kravitz - Are you gonna go my way
Nirvana - Smells Like Teen Spirit
Jimi Hendrix - Purple Haze
Foo Fighters - Monkeywrench
Neil Young - Rockin' In the Free World / Cinnamon Girl

Of them, for personal reasons of being at some of their gigs, I'd probably pick Smells Like Teen Spirit

(PS a flying visit from the past, in case anyone remembers me, I might be posting shortly about whether it's safe to climb after having had a Total Hip Replacement op which I am probably going to have next year - But don't let this thread get hijacked by this)

Andy Hardy 19 Dec 2015
In reply to nathan79:

Don't know if it counts as a riff but there's a few Dr Feelgood tracks that are great.
She does it right
Roxette
Going back home.
 Tom Valentine 19 Dec 2015
In reply to mac fae stirling:

or Messin With the Kid
or What's Goin' On?
 Kemics 19 Dec 2015

While the Led Zeppelin answer is correct, I think a very Honorable mention should be for Cocaine - by clapton. It's just so recognisable and simple.
 Baron Weasel 19 Dec 2015
In reply to Pursued by a bear:

> It's impossible to say which is the greatest. But I'd bet that either Jimmy Page or Malcolm Young played it.

> T.

As a Deadhead, I reckon that Jerry Garcia played it...

Lot's to choose from, but I'll offer this

youtube.com/watch?v=PKtrz_fvmoc&
 coinneach 19 Dec 2015
In reply to Kemics:

Actually written by Ry Cooder.
 mountainbagger 19 Dec 2015

Saw Whitesnake and Def Leppard at Wembley Arena last night. Riff heaven! I love Def Leppard but Whitesnake edged it in the riff department!

"In the Still of the Night" for example. Especially live, just awesome!

Also Metallica have an incredible collection of chunky heavy metal riffs. My personal favourites being opening of "Master of Puppets".

If we're talking about standard tunings, I'd favour the e blues riff but a lot of the famous riffs tend to be in g. My own favourite is something tasty pre amped and valve amped in drop b using root notes for the bottom end of the riff. One day I'll get it published but most of you pop pickers will never hear it as you'll be collectively fret wanking over Zeppelin the kiddy fiddlers. So to answer the OP my riff of choice would be the combined bass/guitar riff of Rush. Spirit of Radio.
Post edited at 14:36
 FactorXXX 19 Dec 2015
In reply to BannedUser27:

One day I'll get it published but most of you pop pickers will never hear it as you'll be collectively fret wanking over Zeppelin the kiddy fiddlers

Jimmy Page - The Kiddie Fiddling Fret Tickler!
 Jim Nevill 19 Dec 2015

Wow! Hadn't heard that one - when he's cooking....so many of them from Mr Young. Always loved Cortez the Killer.
 Tom Last 19 Dec 2015
In reply to coinneach:

> Actually written by Ry Cooder.

Pretty sure it was JJ Cale.
 AndyC 19 Dec 2015

I know almost nothing about music or riffs, but I'll see your Zeppelin and raise you Thin Lizzy's Roisin Dubh...

youtube.com/watch?v=4QJl67JwktA&
In reply to Tom Last:

Hmmm

Clapton, Sunshine of your love, Layla
Zeppelin, everything
ACDC everything

Best.....
Sabbath, Into the Void
Or...
Dead Kennedys, Let's Lynch the Landlord/holiday in Cambodia/too drunk to f..k
 IM 19 Dec 2015
In reply to Tom Valentine:

> or Messin With the Kid

> or What's Goin' On?

Yes, I was thinking 'What's Goin' On?', brilliant opening riff.
'Messin' with the Kid' is brilliant but not a Rory original, although he does the definitive version in my book.
Removed User 19 Dec 2015
In reply to Jim Nevill:

> Wow! Hadn't heard that one - when he's cooking....so many of them from Mr Young. Always loved Cortez the Killer.

Two of the members of his band Willy Nelsons sons. They really do cut it.
In reply to BannedUser27:

> So to answer the OP my riff of choice would be the combined bass/guitar riff of Rush. Spirit of Radio.

Spirit Of Radio is one of the best but I prefer the single edit. The bass fill on the album version just interrupts the momentum of the riff. Certainly a trickier riff to play as it's hard to get the timing right.
andymac 19 Dec 2015

I like him.

There's a Whistle Test clip of RG doing 'Walks on Hot Coals' on ytube I watch from time to time.

It's awesome

abseil 19 Dec 2015

For me it's Alvin Lee [and Ten Years After] and the 10-minute+ "I'm Going Home" at Woodstock:

youtube.com/watch?v=bW5M5xljdCI&
 coinneach 19 Dec 2015
In reply to Tom Last:

You're right

Brain fart

When I was at Uni in the early seventies my main climbing partner was a big Allman Bros fan and he indoctrinated me into listening to Duane and the boys , for which I am eternally grateful. ( Paul in Sheffield, don't forget that the second part of the Layla riff is Duane, not Eric)
But, quid pro quo, he also acknowledged my preference for Rory and listened to some of my L.P.'s
When he left he went to work in the South West, hooked up with Pat Littlejohn and one of the products of their partnership was on Lundy:
Focal Buttress: Messin With the Kid E3 5b.

It doesn't seem to get many ascents, though.....
In reply to andymac:

There was a great interview on Cerys Matthews' radio show the other month with his brother: if he wasn't a saint in your eyes before, he will be after you've listened.
In reply to Rylstone_Cowboy:

> Spirit Of Radio is one of the best but I prefer the single edit. The bass fill on the album version just interrupts the momentum of the riff. Certainly a trickier riff to play as it's hard to get the timing right.

For Rush it's got to be YYZ
cb294 19 Dec 2015
In reply to pec:

Best riff by Neil Young - Four dead in Ohio from the Live Rust double album,

CB
 planetmarshall 19 Dec 2015

Chuck Berry, Johnny B. Goode, for basically inventing the genre.
 pec 19 Dec 2015
In reply to nathan79:

> For me greatest riff either Black Night by Deep Purple . . . etc >

Talking of Ritchie Balckmore, he's knocked out a few other decent ones too, Burn, Mistreated, Man on the Siver Mountain and Stargazer.
But I'm quite surprised nobody's mentioned THAT riff yet, you know, S**** on the W****.

planetmarshall 19 Dec 2015

There is, by the way, a great BBC compilation on this very subject - from The Shadows and The Kinks to The Pixies and Radiohead.

Great Guitar Riffs at the BBC: www.bbc.co.uk/iplayer/episode/b049mtxy via @bbciplayer
 Jimbo C 19 Dec 2015

After the long build up, the main riff of 'lay your hands on me' Bonjovi, is as kick-ass as they come.
 IM 20 Dec 2015
In reply to andymac:

> I like him.

> There's a Whistle Test clip of RG doing 'Walks on Hot Coals' on ytube I watch from time to time.

> It's awesome

Yip, I know the one, awesome indeed.
 IM 20 Dec 2015
In reply to Tom Valentine:

> When I was at Uni in the early seventies my main climbing partner was a big Allman Bros fan and he indoctrinated me into listening to Duane and the boys , for which I am eternally grateful. ( Paul in Sheffield, don't forget that the second part of the Layla riff is Duane, not Eric)

> But, quid pro quo, he also acknowledged my preference for Rory and listened to some of my L.P.'s

> When he left he went to work in the South West, hooked up with Pat Littlejohn and one of the products of their partnership was on Lundy:

> Focal Buttress: Messin With the Kid E3 5b.

> It doesn't seem to get many ascents, though.....

Good story, cheers. Also good that people spread the word about Rory!
 Chris_Mellor 20 Dec 2015
In reply to Jim Nevill:

Just downloaded Cortez the Killer and a Greatest Hits by Neil Young for Cinnamon Girl, etc, yum, yum!!
 Chris_Mellor 20 Dec 2015

May I suggest Tom Petty and the Heartbreakers? Refugee, American Girl, Here Comes my Girl, etc.

Also love the guitar work on Bob Dylan's Series of Dreams ...
 Tom Valentine 20 Dec 2015
In reply to Chris_Mellor:

Last Dance with Mary Jane.
Great riff, if I understand the term correctly.
 AMorris 20 Dec 2015

Good grief that is a totally impossible choice, so much to choose from and only a fraction of the greatest have been suggested already! The great rock tracks have been represented nicely so far so I will add a bit more roar and name some outstanding metal riffs:
Metallica - One
Iron Maiden - the Trooper
Joe Satriani - Satch Boogie (not really metal)
Pantera - Cowboys from Hell
Van Halen - Runnin' with the Devil
and of course, my absolute favourite of the moment
Megadeth - In my Darkest Hour
pasbury 21 Dec 2015

A little obscure but really shouldn't be; Kill the King - Masters of Reality. In fact the whole album is something of a lost gem.
Heaven's End - Loop
 Dave Garnett 21 Dec 2015
I like many of the above but our current favourite is UFO's Rock Bottom.

youtube.com/watch?v=88iX4kS2r_g&

It's not too hard, even I can nearly do it and my son has the whole song pretty wired*.

*Apart from the more inaccessible reaches of the solo!
Post edited at 10:26
 pebbles 21 Dec 2015

The into to Joy Division "Love will turn us apart" surely. Or Nirvana "smells like teen spirit"?
 tintinandpip 21 Dec 2015
In reply to Dave Garnett:
Had a quick look through the other posts but can't see it, what about

"Oh Well" by Fleetwood Mac ( Peter Green's version)

youtube.com/watch?v=O8RhZDGLEXM&
Post edited at 10:43
In reply to mountainbagger:

Jealous of your gig last night! Still of the night is great. love john Sykes but it's a massive Led Zep clone riff,

Not surprising to see all the Led Zepp/AC/DC/Deep Purple references above. Hard to argue against.
Here are some good ones..
Eddie Van Halen - Aint Talkin bout love / 5150 / I'm the one / Mean Streets
Slash - Sweet Child of Mine
Randy Rhoads - I Don't Know / Crazy train
Warren Demartini - Lay it down
Tony Iommi - Paranoid
and my guilty pleasure...metal church, by metal church. Loved playing that in my bedroom as a kid. Would totally lose my sh1t thrashing that one out although doubt many on here would have heard of it (or the band)
 graeme jackson 21 Dec 2015

too many Rush examples to choose just one but I'd have to go for closer to the heart for a great opening riff.

my favourite opening has to be Steve Howe's shimmering harmonics and riffing on 'roundabout'.
 MonkeyPuzzle 21 Dec 2015
> It would appear that this is the most recent so far... Where have all the riff makers gone?

Tom Morello has got a fair few in his quiver. Rage Against the Machine - Know Your Enemy is a belter.

40s in: youtube.com/watch?v=poFm9CKKigk& (sweary)
Post edited at 12:32
Removed User 21 Dec 2015
cb294 21 Dec 2015
In reply to AMorris:

For the heavy stuff, Amon Amarth - Pursuit of Vikings (also a great tutorial video for advanced synchronous propeller headbanging)

youtube.com/watch?v=aV8CLU7FNYA&

or Megadeth - Symphony of Destruction

youtube.com/watch?v=h2LG7JXK5mQ&

coinneach 21 Dec 2015
In reply to tim000:
As for the riffs . . .

Heart . . . Crazy On You
SAHB . . . The Faith Healer
Derek & The Dominos . . . . Layla
Post edited at 18:45
 Andy Farnell 21 Dec 2015
In reply to graeme jackson: This is my favourite Rush riff, probably the best one they've written in a 40 year career. Even Geddy Lee chose it as the track he most likes playing.

youtube.com/watch?v=on3lLcAz4YU&

Andy F
 Mark Bannan 21 Dec 2015
In reply to Removed User:

Agreed!

My fave is "Whole lotta love"
 malk 21 Dec 2015
In reply to paul_in_cumbria:
> Best.....

> Sabbath, Into the Void

> Or...

any number of sabbath riffs are better than most in this thread
nib, snowblind, and supernaut are just a few others that prob don't even make the top ten sabbath riffs..
Post edited at 19:53
 Sean Kelly 21 Dec 2015

I've just discovered this. Brilliant!!!
youtube.com/watch?v=AgqGUBP3Cx0&
 Dell 22 Dec 2015

Just to repeat what's already mostly been said:

Pantera - Cowboys
Sabbath - Any
Iron Butterfly - In a Gadda Da Vida
Hendrix - Voodoo Child
Killing Joke - The Wait
Slayer - Angel of Death (2 great riffs for the price of one!)
BOC - Don't Fear The Reaper
The Kinks - You Really Got Me
Norman Greenbaum - Spirit in the Sky
Carcass - No Love Lost

My wildcard: Hot Chocolate - Everyone's a Winner!
In reply to malk:

> any number of sabbath riffs are better than most in this thread

> nib, snowblind, and supernaut are just a few others that prob don't even make the top ten sabbath riffs..

couldn't agree more, which probably makes "Volume 4" the best riff album of all time.
 Mooncat 22 Dec 2015

Sheena is a Punk Rocker by The Ramones.
 birdie num num 23 Dec 2015

Ziggy Stardust
mick taylor 23 Dec 2015

No One Knows by QOTSA (also best vid, best drumming, best role for a dead deer, coolest everything)

Or maybe Rusty Cage by Soundgarden

Or maybe Touch Me I'm Sick by Mudhoney

..............although very partial to Black Sabbath riffs
 Hat Dude 23 Dec 2015

Hotel California - The Eagles
 planetmarshall 23 Dec 2015
In reply to Dell:

Some so far unsuggested examples...

Golden Earring, Radar Love
The Cult, She Sells Sanctuary
Queen, One Vision
Dire Straits, Money for Nothing
Manic Street Preachers, Motorcycle Emptiness
Radiohead, Paranoid Android
Rage Against the Machine, Bullet in the Head
The Stone Roses, Fools Gold

mick taylor 23 Dec 2015

Royal Blood - Little Monster
mick taylor 23 Dec 2015

Seven Nation Army - White Stripes
 planetmarshall 23 Dec 2015
In reply to planetmarshall:

A couple more...

Stevie Wonder, Superstition
The Police, Every Breath You Take
No guitar riff list without Smoke on the Water:

youtube.com/watch?v=zUwEIt9ez7M&

Edit ... actually the best version is from Made in Japan - one of the best rock albums ever:

youtube.com/watch?v=uRCz3k4wRmU&
Post edited at 21:53
 Baron Weasel 23 Dec 2015

If you are still reading this thread wanting to see something new and amazing watch this. Topless ladies though they are not being sexy, just dancing high on acid

youtube.com/watch?v=ZOVIQORfFrk&

Listen, it's worth 15min of your life
In reply to Baron Weasel:

The best guitar I've heard is from the best live CD available.

Check out Rime of the Ancient Mariner on Iron Maidens amazing Live After Death CD.

youtube.com/watch?v=ulfnJ0E34fU&
In reply to birdie num num:

> Ziggy Stardust

Mick Ronson was a riffmeister. How about the intro to Prettiest Star or Jean Genie?

After much revisionism, the Pistol's 'Never mind the bo***cks' is viewed as a premiere classic rock album, so how about Holidays in the Sun?

Also the (obscure) closing riff on Queen's Brighton Rock is almost a throwaway line, but is excellent
chad halfwit 30 Dec 2015

Thanks for that, probably the best 15 mins of my day, never really got to hear any GD, loved the footage of Neal Cassady driving K Keseys bus Further....
 Alan M 01 Jan 2016
Just too many to pick from but because I was playing it earlier.

Claptons riff on Outside Woman Blues (Disraeli gears)
Post edited at 19:54
For me no-one beats the Dead in full flight - great pick.
 Tricadam 03 Jan 2016
In reply to coinneach:

> Actually written by Ry Cooder.

JJ Cale, surely? (Cocaine.)
Bernard Shakey 07 Jan 2016
youtube.com/watch?v=LByiVlc6czA&

Wishbone Ash: Throw Down The Sword

Off Argos, probably my most played album
 eltankos 08 Jan 2016

Diamond Head had some crackers. I'll just say Am I Evil.
 coinneach 08 Jan 2016

BBC 4 tonight
 kevin stephens 08 Jan 2016
In reply to coinneach:
just started, opening with Hank Marvin
Post edited at 21:02

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...