UKC

PRESS RELEASE: Mick Fowler and Paul Ramsden awarded Piolets d'Or

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 UKC/UKH Gear 18 Mar 2016
Mick Fowler on day three of his and Paul Ramsden's climb of Gave Ding, 3 kbMick Fowler and Paul Ramsden have been awarded Piolets d'Or for their first ascent of Gave Ding in far west Nepal. The announcement means that, as a team, Fowler and Ramsden have won the most prestigious award in mountaineering for an unprecedented third time. They reached the summit of 6,571m Gave Ding in October 2015, in an expedition that was sponsored by Berghaus.

Read more
 bensilvestre 18 Mar 2016
In reply to UKC/UKH Gear:

Well deserved, beautiful climb

Does mountaineering come finer or purer than this?
 ebdon 18 Mar 2016
In reply to Gordon Stainforth:

I cant believe he's won this 3 times! Mick Fowler is my total hero
 Mal Grey 18 Mar 2016

Brilliant, and richly deserved.

Mick is definitely one of the most inspirational climbers out there, quietly getting on with ridiculously adventurous climbs. Paul deserves equal acclaim.

I do like his comment "the route gave safe, hard climbing". Not far below the photo of him climbing decidedly steep hard mixed ground with a lot of slack rope after a traverse at 6000m. All rather relative if you ask me!

Brilliant. For someone who published his autobiography 20 years ago and first climbed E6 40 years ago MF is not going too badly.

jcm
 colinakmc 18 Mar 2016
Congratulations, I read the piece in "Vertical" about the climb and it sounded fantastic. Truly exploratory climbing of the Tilman school! As smeone else has already said, the two of you are proper, inspirational climbers.
 deepstar 18 Mar 2016
In reply to Mal Grey

> I do like his comment "the route gave safe, hard climbing". Not far below the photo of him climbing decidedly steep hard mixed ground with a lot of slack rope after a traverse at 6000m. All rather relative if you ask me!

Remember this is a comment from the first ascensionist of Breakaway XS 5b on Henna Cliff, so his use of the word safe might be slightly optimistic! Henna
 Patrick Roman 18 Mar 2016

The lines these two climb are incredible. I remember seeing their route on Siguniang in 2003 in Climber magazine, I couldn't drag my eyes away from it. Still have a copy of it because of that article. I think Marko Prezelj is the only other 3 time recipient, pretty good company. Well deserved and a constant inspiration!
 Mr. Lee 19 Mar 2016
In reply to johncoxmysteriously:

Definitely enough material for another book please Mr Fowler.
 Michael Gordon 19 Mar 2016
In reply to Patrick Roman:

> I think Marko Prezelj is the only other 3 time recipient, pretty good company.

Technically not, if the award is turned down? But yes, very good company!

Robert Durran 19 Mar 2016

Not too shoddy for someone 60 this year.
 Andy Say 19 Mar 2016

Good effort! Do they get a piolet each? Or do they have to share one?

And it seems a bit of a shame that this is a 'equipment forum / gear press release' rather than a straightforward, and well-deserved news item.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...