UKC

"Very thin" meaning?

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
ROSP 15 Nov 2016
Probably a bone question, but what is meant by a "very thin finish"?

Cheers,

Ross
 Cheese Monkey 15 Nov 2016
In reply to ROSP:
Hard
 Coel Hellier 15 Nov 2016
In reply to ROSP:

Small holds.
abseil 15 Nov 2016
In reply to ROSP:

> Probably a bone question, but what is meant by a "very thin finish"?

Tiny holds for the feet.
 deacondeacon 15 Nov 2016
In reply to ROSP:
I think of it as small holds personally.
ROSP 15 Nov 2016
In reply to Cheese Monkey:

Thanks all for the info!
 Mick Ward 15 Nov 2016
In reply to ROSP:

Insecure, usually via crap holds, especially crap footholds, e.g. dodgy smears.

You tend to know when it's thin 'cos your heart's in your mouth and you're thinking, 'Please, feet don't pop...'

Mick
In reply to ROSP:

Depends who says it I'd say
 Fraser 15 Nov 2016
In reply to ROSP:

Thought provoking.
 DaveHK 15 Nov 2016
In reply to ROSP:

> what is meant by a "very thin finish"?

Probably a through route to finish...

Trangia 15 Nov 2016
In reply to ROSP:

A terrifying lack of holds and probably no protection.
 Coel Hellier 15 Nov 2016
In reply to Mick Ward:

> You tend to know when it's thin 'cos your heart's in your mouth and you're thinking, 'Please, feet don't pop...'

I'd call that "delicate" rather than "thin".
 ripper 15 Nov 2016
In reply to ROSP:

I'd expect a distinctly insecure sequence on small/marginal (for the grade) holds - not necessarily smears, possibly tiny edges - and a bit of a run-out. sounds fun!
 jkarran 15 Nov 2016
In reply to ROSP:

What's meant by bone?

Thin is small holds generally.
Jk
 Mick Ward 15 Nov 2016
In reply to Coel Hellier:

To me, 'thin' is very, very delicate. But I guess each of us has their own interpretation. ' It used to be a word in general climbing parlance - yet, before this thread, I hadn't heard it mentioned in years, maybe decades. Maybe the dire protection of yesteryear meant than 'thin' was more significant?

Mick
ROSP 15 Nov 2016
In reply to jkarran:

Oh right - another word for stupid!
In reply to Mick Ward:

There were such good words then. 'Thrutch', 'graunch', 'thin', 'crozzly', 'peel', 'lob', 'udge', 'teeter' ...
 mrphilipoldham 15 Nov 2016
In reply to ROSP:

Whilst we're at it.. what are 'disposable holds'?
 Mick Ward 15 Nov 2016
In reply to mrphilipoldham:

Holds so loose you might as well throw 'em away and try some others (underneath?)

Mick
 Mick Ward 15 Nov 2016
In reply to Gordon Stainforth:

> There were such good words then. 'Thrutch', 'graunch', 'thin', 'crozzly', 'peel', 'lob', 'udge', 'teeter' ...

Agree. I love those words. For me, 'peel' has the same vintage as 'thin'. Both were used a lot in the Mournes in the 60s, when many routes (such as 'Thin Arete') were distinctly thin and peeling off was usually a bad idea.

Mick
 ripper 15 Nov 2016
In reply to ROSP:

smaller version of flexible flakes
 Rob Exile Ward 15 Nov 2016
In reply to ROSP:

Have a go at First Slip. That will tell you all you need to know.
 mrphilipoldham 15 Nov 2016
In reply to Mick Ward:

I thought that might be it, but I didn't fancy getting on it to find out.. Mather Crack (E2 5b)! Maybe next time..
In reply to ROSP:

It means that whatever you wish there was more of, there's a great deal less of it than you'd like. Holds, protection, confidence...

T.
 birdie num num 16 Nov 2016
In reply to ROSP:

I keep scanning guide books for a finish that's 'very fat'
abseil 16 Nov 2016
In reply to Rob Exile Ward:

> Have a go at First Slip. That will tell you all you need to know.

Thanks for the tip. But I wish to testify that First Slip has no holds at all or maybe I need new glasses ha-ha. My respect for Joe Brown went up 20 notches after struggling up it honestly I'd rather sit in Eric's café
 Mick Ward 16 Nov 2016
In reply to abseil:

The dreaded Spuzz shoved me up First Slip for my first Extreme lead (and only third Extreme) in 1974. I threw up at the bottom with food poisoning. Apparently my face had turned green. Did that merit the Spuzz sympathy vote? Did it f*ck! "Be reet, kid." I staggered up the stepped grooves feeling fainter and fainter, somehow clambered over the top and... the world promptly went black. Up comes Spuzz. "Good route, kid, did you enjoy it?"

Last time I did Leg Slip, I looked across and it looks nails for the grade. So I think I'll pass on a return visit. If you don't mind, I'll sit in the caff with you.

Mick
 john arran 16 Nov 2016
In reply to ROSP:

A route is 'thin' when the thinnest of flakes and edges are thin on the ground.
 Mr. Lee 16 Nov 2016
In reply to ROSP:

Fatties need not apply

james.slater 16 Nov 2016

Still use most of these today, on a very regular basis, Im a relative youngster and they havn't gone anywhere, at least not in my circle of partners and friends
 Mick Ward 16 Nov 2016
In reply to james.slater:

That's good to hear. And don't forget to pass 'em on to the next generation. Long may they continue.

Mick
 ripper 16 Nov 2016
In reply to Rob Exile Ward:

> Have a go at First Slip. That will tell you all you need to know.

First Slip at Tremadog? yep, I definitely used the word thin to describe that...
 beardy mike 16 Nov 2016
In reply to ROSP:

The state of your nerves after climbing through this section.
 Lemony 16 Nov 2016
In reply to ROSP:
> "Very thin" meaning?

"Probably a sport climber"?
Post edited at 09:46
 Dave Garnett 16 Nov 2016
In reply to john arran:

> A route is 'thin' when the thinnest of flakes and edges are thin on the ground.

Sounds like Upton Slabs, that's where most of the thin holds are, on the ground.
abseil 16 Nov 2016
In reply to Mick Ward:

> .....If you don't mind, I'll sit in the caff with you.

OK Mick! That'd be a pleasure. Eric's caff is haute cuisine by my appallingly low food standards....
 duchessofmalfi 16 Nov 2016
"very thin" = "the margin between success and failure"

no holds, no gear, worrying
 snoop6060 16 Nov 2016
In reply to:

Thin to me means I felt like i was going to fall off, regardless of the grade. Normally as its insecure or balancey or has small holds (or all 3). Basically the exact opposite of burly. Requires concentration .

In reply to ROSP:

Holds are a bit 'thin on the ground'?
 two_tapirs 16 Nov 2016
In reply to ROSP:

It certainly doesn't apply to my ex-Sister in law.
 Toerag 16 Nov 2016
In reply to ROSP:

very thin = you don't know which of your limbs is going to pop off or when, and when they do there will be no gear to stop the fall.
 john arran 16 Nov 2016
In reply to Toerag:

> very thin = you don't know which of your limbs is going to pop off or when, and when they do there will be no gear to stop the fall.

I don't know if it's morphed over time but I don't ever remember 'thin' implying anything at all about the gear. "Thin moves past the bolt" would have been a common usage. Also, it means something very different to 'sketchy'. Sketchy and thin both suggest insecure, but the latter definitely indicates it's due to the holds being really small and possibly not numerous.
 Michael Gordon 16 Nov 2016
In reply to john arran:

I don't think 'thin' is a reference to gear in itself. It's more that when the holds run out you also tend to be above the gear.
 Lucy Wallace 16 Nov 2016

Ok so thrutch, thin, peel, lob and teeter are all in my vocab but please define graunch, crozzly and udge?
 john arran 16 Nov 2016
In reply to Snoweider:

> Ok so thrutch, thin, peel, lob and teeter are all in my vocab but please define graunch, crozzly and udge?

Graunchy means you'll probably need to udge, so you'd better hope it isn't crozzly
 Morty 16 Nov 2016
In reply to ROSP:

An underweight reindeer?
 Michael Gordon 16 Nov 2016
In reply to Snoweider:

Udging is frequently required on the same routes as thrutching. I'd say it's less physical and more just slowly gaining height through repeated jamming of your body inside a crack?
In reply to Snoweider:

You'll be wanting to know what a broddling stick is next...

T.
 deacondeacon 16 Nov 2016
In reply to Michael Gordon:

Narw. You could udge a mantle or rockover, but you wouldn't thrutch one
 Mark Bannan 16 Nov 2016
In reply to birdie num num:

> I keep scanning guide books for a finish that's 'very fat'

Probably applies in winter rather than summer.
 Duncan Bourne 16 Nov 2016
In reply to ROSP:

There is a very slim margin of error between completing the climb sucessfully and swinging into oblivion
 Mick Ward 16 Nov 2016
In reply to Michael Gordon:

> Udging is frequently required on the same routes as thrutching. I'd say it's less physical and more just slowly gaining height through repeated jamming of your body inside a crack?

There were three consecutive udges on Post Mortem which will live with me until my dying day.

Mick
 Mick Ward 16 Nov 2016
In reply to Pursued by a bear:

> You'll be wanting to know what a broddling stick is next...

Formerly one of the most arcane of trade secrets. If you found the one under Elder Crack, you were probably very well connected in Sheffield high society.

Mick

balmybaldwin 16 Nov 2016
In reply to ROSP:

Are you asking as this is part of the route description for Sacred angel (F7a) on Portland?

Thin is a perfect description of the finish - tiny little pinch holds made of delicate seashell fossils.
 Mick Ward 16 Nov 2016
In reply to abseil:

> OK Mick! That'd be a pleasure. Eric's caff is haute cuisine by my appallingly low food standards....

The pleasure would be all mine. And my favourite meal is pizza. Need one say any more?

A pity we can't wander out and up Fandango. One of the very few Tony Wilmott routes I've done - a couple of days after First Slip.

To tell the truth, after a day's bolting and an evening's boulder setting, I could do with a good caff session. Can't imagine the state I'm going to be in tomorrow morning. Still, my mate (same age) is in for a knee op tomorrow which could be make or break. Carpe bloody diem!

Mick
 birdie num num 16 Nov 2016
In reply to Mark Bannan:

The caff on Mount Snowdon is only open in summer though. Available for a proper fat finish.
We like the fried squid and chips and banoffee pie with spray cream
 Hat Dude 17 Nov 2016
In reply to Coel Hellier:

> Small holds.

And not many of them
 Mark Bannan 17 Nov 2016
In reply to birdie num num:

> The caff on Mount Snowdon is only open in summer though. Available for a proper fat finish.

> We like the fried squid and chips and banoffee pie with spray cream

The closest I get to that is a kebab and chips in Nicos in Fort Bill!
ROSP 17 Nov 2016
Thanks for the relplies everyone, it's been helpful
 neuromancer 18 Nov 2016
In reply to ROSP:

Mate are you in the army?

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...