UKC

INTERVIEW: The Thought Process with Jerry Moffatt & Andy Pollitt

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 UKC Articles 04 Apr 2017
JezAndy, 4 kbSometimes (from memory - it’s been over two decades for me), no matter how fit one was or how hard one trained, it often just boiled down to mental approach. This - rare, let’s face it - ability to convince oneself that the seemingly impossible is actually achievable sets many sportsmen and women apart and elevates them that extra few percent above the chasing pack. I can vouch for the above (having ‘hung off’ Jerry Moffatt’s coat tails since we were both kids) and it was always one of his ‘master’ traits. Blast that boy.

Andy Pollitt interviews Jerry Moffatt ahead of the release of his new book 'Mastermind' this Autumn, which focuses on the mental side of climbing.

Read more
pasbury 04 Apr 2017
In reply to UKC Articles:

Bloody excellent. What would Jerry do? Now we know.
 Paul Figg 04 Apr 2017

A great article, especially for those of us climbing in the 80's. Mastermind sounds like a 'must buy' book, I certainly need all the help I can get. As someone said, (can't remember who) the strongest muscle in climbing is the brain.
Great stuff
 Spanish Jack 04 Apr 2017
In reply to Paul Figg:
Wolfgang Güllich.

In my opinion it is one of the biggest beauties of climbing that you can train your mind so well.
Post edited at 18:35
 Shani 04 Apr 2017

"I started off on Kellogg E5 6b, then did Special K E5 6a, Kingdom Come E5 6b, Our Father E4 6b, Scoop Wall E2 5c and Dies Irae E2 5c."

Jeez, that is some soloist's ticklist! Mighty impressive.
 Blake 05 Apr 2017

I'm surprised that those solos - the welsh ones (cromlech, cloggy) and the peak ones don't get talked about a lot more.
 john arran 05 Apr 2017
In reply to Blake:

The Welsh ones have certainly been mentioned before but the Stoney ones are new to me. Impressive stuff.
 Shani 05 Apr 2017
In reply to Blake:

> I'm surprised that those solos - the welsh ones (cromlech, cloggy) and the peak ones don't get talked about a lot more.

The Welsh ones - certainly the Cromlech ones, are mentioned in the back of PW's 1987 Llanberis guide. The phrase 'outdated crag' or some such.
 Fruitbat 05 Apr 2017
In reply to Shani:

It was something like soloing Left wall, Right Wall and some others , then downclimbing Cemetery Gates and then pronounce the Cromlech as 'an easy and outdated crag'.
Yorik 05 Apr 2017

Stirring up some memories reading this. Jerry was always on a mission from God! Utterly driven, utterly talented and utterly modest
 Brendan 06 Apr 2017

Jerry's autobiography Revelations is absolutely superb, my favourite climbing book by far.
 AP Melbourne 08 Apr 2017
In reply to Brendan:

> Jerry's autobiography Revelations is absolutely superb, my 2nd favourite climbing book after 'Punk in the Gym' by far.

Taxi!!!!

Brendan 08 Apr 2017
In reply to AP Melbourne:

Hahaha! Not read Punks yet, got a copy I can borrow?
 AP Melbourne 09 Apr 2017
In reply to Brendan:

> Hahaha! Not read Punks yet, got a copy I can borrow?

WHAAAAAAAAAAAAAT??????????????????????? Not read it Brendan? Kinnel!

Funnily enough I have 4 copies left out of the 172 I imported so if you can lend me fifty sovs I'll send you one with a nice message inside.
Cheers,
AP.
 Brendan 09 Apr 2017

Spoken like a true salesman! OK, you made a good pitch, email me your bank details and I'll send you the cash. Seriously!

I'll be demanding my money back if it's not as good as Revelations, mind you.
 Michael Hood 09 Apr 2017
In reply to Brendan: It's better IMHO - Andy seems a bit more "heart on his sleeve" than Jerry's book..

AP Melbourne 10 Apr 2017
In reply to Brendan:

> Spoken like a true salesman! OK, you made a good pitch, email me your bank details and I'll send you the cash. Seriously!

How good's that? (I should've asked for sixty!).
Thanks Brendan - really appreciated.

Only three original copies left now so if you'd all please form an orderly queue ,,,, Ha!
Thanks,
And.
 Michael Hood 10 Apr 2017

Andy,
Please could you virtually sign my copy, then I can tell people I've got a (virtually) signed copy and point to this thread as evidence
Thanks
Mike
 AP Melbourne 11 Apr 2017
In reply to Michael Hood:

> Andy, Please could you virtually sign my copy, then I can tell people I've got a (virtually) signed copy and point to this thread as evidence Thanks, Mike.

If you PM me I'll send you a sticker with a personal dedication on it to put in your copy. Then you'll have the real McCoy.
Thx Mike.
In reply to Yorik:

Are you Yorik as in Yorik from 84 HH Road. Wow. Did you ever make it to that Greek crag Thanos
 BelleVedere 12 Apr 2017

Really looking forward to this - bit mean that we have to wait til the end of the season for it though!

Yorik 12 Apr 2017
In reply to Graeme Alderson:

Yeah Graeme its me how the devil are you pal,
 AP Melbourne 13 Apr 2017
In reply to Yorik:

> Yeah Graeme its me how the devil are you pal,

Alas, now then t'lads, am sat here with Tim from No.124 HH Rd. Small world sometimes isn't it.
Happy Eaters.
A.
Yorik 14 Apr 2017
Hahahaha, ever decreasing circles, enjoy the tubes boys
Just read about Feet Neet hahahaha mad times
Post edited at 00:26
 Michael Hood 14 Apr 2017

> If you PM me I'll send you a sticker with a personal dedication on it to put in your copy. Then you'll have the real McCoy.Thx Mike.

Thanks for the offer Andy but I don't really need your moniker. The book's good enough in itself and I look forward to any further ones you do.

Just thought the idea of a virtual signature on a blank page was amusing. Of course it would be quite difficult to distinguish between real virtual signatures and fakes
 AP Melbourne 15 Apr 2017
In reply to Brendan:

Seriously!I'll be demanding my money back if it's not as good as Revelations, mind you.

Air mailed this morning with many thanks.
I very much doubt you'll be requesting a refund ,,,,,
Cheers,
AP.
 AP Melbourne 15 Apr 2017
In reply to Michael Hood:

> Thanks for the offer Andy but I don't really need your moniker. The book's good enough in itself and I look forward to any further ones you do.Just thought the idea of a virtual signature on a blank page was amusing.

Ha! Ta mate,
Well use this then: To Michael Hood, kind regards, Andy Pollitt

Next book well under way....

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...