UKC

Safe to climb outdoors with fluid on the knee/enlarged bursa?

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.

Hello.

Is it safe to climb outside with a fluid on the knee/enlarged bursa?

Sav
Post edited at 13:26
 UKB Shark 12 Apr 2017
In reply to Mountain Spirit:

If you knock and cut it then it could get infected so take care not to if you decide to risk it.
In reply to ukb & bmc shark:
Thanks.

I was going to do some seconding at Stanage after Easter on the week commencing 24th but I don't think I'll risk it now.

The doctor gave a prescription for Naproxen but I don't want to take it can increase the risk of having a stroke or a heart attack.

Sav
Post edited at 13:41
 Andy Nisbet 13 Apr 2017

> The doctor gave a prescription for Naproxen but I don't want to take it can increase the risk of having a stroke or a heart attack.Sav

Millions or even billions of people around the world take naproxen without worrying about unusual side effects. Apparently they sell it over the counter in USA. That's not a comment about your injury, which I know nothing about.

alx 13 Apr 2017

Stroke and heart issues incidence is reported at "less than 0.01%" which is one way of saying less than 1 person in 10,000 could be at risk.
Drug companies have to report and regularly update this figure for all the adverse events observed. If you look at ibuprofen adverse event % they have similar risk profile to Naproxen.

If you are worried about the risks, discuss this with your doctor or pharmacist whom can help.

BW
Alex
In reply to alx:
Thanks.

I am overweight, wwould that increase my chances of heart problems if I took Naproxen?

Bye
Sav
Post edited at 12:41
 Welsh Kate 13 Apr 2017

er.. check with your doctor?
Or call 111 for non-emergency advice from the NHS.
 webbo 13 Apr 2017
You are no more likely to have heart attack from the Naproxen than you are from the effort of walking up the crag from the car. Really Sav if that's how you assess risks what the hell are you doing considering going climbing.
 MischaHY 13 Apr 2017

Savvas, don't worry! Take the medication and go crush some routes. You will have an amazing time and everything will be fine.
In reply to webbo:

I agree.
In reply to MischaHY:

Thanks Mischa.

Will do.

Sav
 MischaHY 13 Apr 2017

Good lad. Looking forward to hearing all about it.
In reply to MischaHY:

Apparently sporty people take it to stop inflammation.

alx 13 Apr 2017

Which is counter intuitive as inflammation from muscle building activities is one of the drivers to stimulating muscle growth.

http://www.bicycling.com/food/injury-prevention/the-truth-about-vitamin-i

I am bit lazy, I used to know where some decent papers were on this!
In reply to alx:

I thought climbers shouldn't have big muscley legs anyway?!

I drink a lot of tea including herbal teas - green tea, lemon and ginger tea and camomile tea.

Sav
 Andy Nisbet 13 Apr 2017

> I thought climbers shouldn't have big muscley legs anyway?!

If you go out in winter too, then you need them.

I am sitting down in shock, being frantically fanned by my punkah wallah and revived with gin, due to the news that the OP has been prevented from climbing outside by cruel fate and the vaguaries of physical frailty.
In reply to Andy Nisbet:
True!
I've got them, but I'm not ready for Scottish Winter yet.
Post edited at 22:38
 Oceanrower 14 Apr 2017
In reply to thebigfriendlymoose:
> I am sitting down in shock, being frantically fanned by my punkah wallah and revived with gin, due to the news that the OP has been prevented from climbing outside by cruel fate and the vaguaries of physical frailty.

Or the fact that he never has and, probably, never will, have climbed outside.

Not for the lack of people offering to help him.....
Post edited at 02:26
 deacondeacon 14 Apr 2017
Hey Sav, who are you climbing with?
In reply to deacondeacon:
Hey Deacon.

I will be climbing with Nik on the Wednesday but he is working on Thurs and Fri so I will have to find other people to climb with.
Post edited at 10:33
In reply to Oceanrower:

I'm serious this year. I've been to Little Tryfan with PyB.
 slab_happy 14 Apr 2017

Speaking as someone on the autistic spectrum (and I don't know whether or not my issues here are similar to some Sav might be dealing with) -- it took a lot of effort and practice for me to be able to handle travelling to the Peak District on my own for the first time.

And that was as a boulderer, so that was before I had to deal with the whole thing of making arrangements to climb outdoors with someone off the internet who I didn't know (Nik/buxtoncoffeelover, who can probably witness to how terrified and overwhelmed I was the first time I went tradding with him).

Sav, have you started making arrangements for somewhere to stay during your trip, not to mention train tickets (if you're coming up by train)?

Here's a thought, based on what's worked for me (and I don't know how much of this would apply to you too, but see what you think):

If it was me, I might plan to come up *anyway*.

Then, once you've got here, if the Naproxen has helped and your knee's doing okay, you can get some climbing in. I can vouch for Nik being smashing and very supportive and I think he'll look after you very well.

But if your knee's still too swollen or painful, or it all feels like too much to handle (or it's raining!), then you'll at least have practiced the travel bit and all the practical arrangements, which will make it much easier and less stress the *next* time.

And you can still have a wander round and look at the crags, which can be lovely if you've been dreaming about them and geeking out on the history of the routes. The Peak District's very beautiful.

Think about it as a step by step thing. If you're serious about wanting to climb outside, the first step is getting here.

If all you do is come up on the train and then spend a few days in a B&B or whatever, looking at the landscape or exploring Sheffield, you'll still have practiced that first step.
In reply to slab_happy:
Hi.

Great post.
I have started to look at accommodation and train tickets. I am writing an itinerary at present.

Truth be told....
I have been to The Peak before once with and once without my family.
The first time it was for a BTCV conservation weekend near Derby - as far as I can remember the pick up point was Derby Station.
The second time was a family walking trip near Bamford and I think the station was Bamford. Here we stayed in a cottage my brother had booked for us.

The furthest North I have been is Aviemore on a Glenmore Lodge Winter Skills course.

Sav
Post edited at 14:41
 Offwidth 14 Apr 2017

Really hope things go well for you. I'd second what slab-hapoy says. Might even be around sometime on Thursday or Friday from mid afternoon that week.
 BusyLizzie 14 Apr 2017

You will have a happy day out with Nik!
 BusyLizzie 14 Apr 2017

And Nik climbs with bad knees so you'll be in good company. Go for it Sav!!!
In reply to Offwidth:

I hope things go well for me to!
Great.
In reply to BusyLizzie:
Hargreaves' Original (VS 4c)

The route we plan to do first. I hope to second it.

Stanage Popular

A three star and a Top 50.

Gracias
Sav
Post edited at 18:19
 The Ivanator 14 Apr 2017

That is a wonderful route, but some familiarity with gritstone climbing is definitely an advantage, a great target once you've gained confidence on a few easier things nearby. I'm sure Nik will be able to point you towards some suitable things to start on.
In reply to The Ivanator:
I was hoping to do the route and these two High Neb Buttress (VS 4c)
Eliminator (HVS 5b)

What about bouldering on gritstone as confidence building?

I like this route as well
April Crack (HS 4b)

Bye
Sav
Post edited at 21:45
 The Ivanator 14 Apr 2017

For anyone with minimal outdoor experience the routes you mention are ambitious targets. From what I gather of your experience and your apparent nervousness about getting outside I would suggest looking for some good Mods and Diffs to get started on.
Getting shut down by a route that is too hard for you can be discouraging when you are just beginning your climbing journey.
Three star climbs or Top 50 ones for me.
I've actually seen YouTube clips of High Neb Buttress and Eliminator and I think I can do them.....
IMO, the trickiest bit on Eliminator is the last rockover.

Post edited at 22:09
 The Ivanator 14 Apr 2017

Well be safe and enjoy yourself, listen to your partner, your body and the rock ...they may all have important messages.
 alx 14 Apr 2017
In reply to slab_happy:

Awesome post

Thanks
We've actually been talking about routes as well as train times etc.

Great advice.

Sav

In reply to alx:

I agree
Strange thing has happened!....
The same bursa on the other leg has become enlarged but I'm not going to worry about it!
Post edited at 00:24
 slab_happy 15 Apr 2017
> Three star climbs or Top 50 ones for me.

Hey, there are wonderful wonderful climbs in the Peak District which aren't three star ones! And for that matter, there are multi-starred Mods and Diffs, which are lovely whatever grade you're climbing at.

I think The Ivanator's got some extremely wise advice for you. It's great to have some dream routes to motivate you, but those aren't necessarily the right ones for you to jump on first thing; you need to build up your confidence and start learning how to climb on grit.

I think Nik will be able to suggest good routes for you to try on the day, once he sees where you're at; he's always been great at pointing me towards routes that'd suit me (and he's climbed an amazing percentage of routes at Stanage and other grit crags, so he knows what he's recommending).

But remember, you've got to take it step by step. You can't do any three-star routes (or any Peak District routes at all) if you don't make it up here first!

Honestly, I think if you make it up to the Peak District on your own, that will be a substantial achievement and something you should feel very proud of. I have some idea how difficult these things can be.

If your knees and the weather allow you to get out with Nik and do some climbing, that'll be another huge step.

Doing any specific routes would be the icing on the cake!
Post edited at 08:59
 slab_happy 15 Apr 2017
In reply to BusyLizzie:
Yes, I suspect a lot of us can vouch for Nik's mentoring abilities and patience!
Post edited at 09:30
 Michael Gordon 15 Apr 2017

Hmmm, in my experience you can have just as much fun on a * route as a *** route.
In reply to Michael Gordon:

I have been told to go for *** routes as they are the most fun and you can't go wrong on a *** .
 slab_happy 15 Apr 2017

> I have been told to go for *** routes as they are the most fun and you can't go wrong on a *** .

When people say things like that, it's an expression of their opinion, not a rule you have to follow literally.

If a route gets three stars in a guidebook, that does mean that a lot of people think it's a great, mega-classic route. But there will probably also be some people who think it's over-rated, or don't like it at all. And quite a few routes get different numbers of stars in different guidebooks ...

The Peak District is full of great routes, and there are wonderful routes that have two stars or one stars or even no stars at all. Some of my most enjoyable climbs have been on routes that I'd not heard of at all, where I felt I was discovering a hidden gem.

And of course you *can* "go wrong" on a three-star route, if by "go wrong" we mean things like "have a miserable and frustrating time because it's way too hard for you right now." A route can be amazing, but still not the right route for you on a given day.

If you can make it up here (and your knees are okay and it doesn't rain), I'm sure Nik will get you on some great routes.

But saying you only want to do three-star routes is a bit like saying "I only want to read books that are bestsellers", or "The most popular flavour of icecream is chocolate, so I won't try any other flavours." Does that make sense? Don't limit yourself unnecesssarily.
 Offwidth 15 Apr 2017

All the most experienced people I know say the exact opposite. The reasoning is as follows: popular 3 star Stanage routes tend to be more polished due to traffic so not as typical of the rock, they tend to be busier so having beginners on them (especially if they might be struggling) can be highly frustrating; most climbers looking back at where they started would prefer to have saved classics for onsight leads. I'd add that the differences in quality are often much less than the stars would indicate... especially at Stanage Popular ... there is almost no such thing as a bad route there. Listen to slab_happy and the others here and let Nik show you what the rock is all about.
 Offwidth 15 Apr 2017
In reply to slab_happy:

I like to think of a movie analogy. The box office smash hits are popular but may not always suit individual taste and some of the small budget movies might end up being one of your favourites.
In reply to slab_happy:
I've got Eastern Grit and I use UK Climbing also.
Yes it does make sense.
Post edited at 13:05
In reply to Offwidth:

I've always been a blockbuster man myself.
 hang_about 15 Apr 2017

Take your friend's advice on the day. There are loads of great routes on Stanage. Start off on something simple to get the feel of grit then crack on. Don't chase grades or stars. You will enjoy yourself regardless. Have fun...
In reply to hang_about:
Is bouldering on grit a good idea to get used to climbing on grit?

Most of the people that I talk to at Mile End Wall - apart from the staff - just go to The Peak to boulder.

Sav
Post edited at 18:04
 JLS 15 Apr 2017

I think you'd benifit more from top roping some v.diff climbs first.

In reply to JLS:

What is wrong with seconding and a bit of bouldering?
 hang_about 15 Apr 2017

Personally I'd recommend climbing, but you can always try both.
In reply to hang_about:

Aren't they forms of climbing?
 JLS 15 Apr 2017

I count seconding as the same as top roping. Bouldering always comes with a small risk of doing an ankle if you get it wrong. Better to get used to the rock on a bouncy rope.
In reply to JLS:
We are going to wait till the day etc....
I come from an indoor bouldering back ground.
Post edited at 19:20
 JLS 15 Apr 2017

Which day is that?
In reply to JLS:

Hopefully the 26th of April
 UKB Shark 15 Apr 2017
In reply to Offwidth:

It is of course possible to have an awful time on a undeniably three star route and have a three star experience on a no star route

> It is of course possible to have an awful time on a undeniably three star route and have a three star experience on a no star route

"having an awful time on a 3* route, for day-after-day".... pretty much describes sport climbing!

I agree
 Offwidth 16 Apr 2017

Hey this is Shark, he has a heart of oak.
 Red Rover 03 May 2017

Did you go?
In reply to Red Rover:
Sadly I didn't go.

Today my doctor gave me the all clear for outdoor activities including climbing.

Post edited at 22:27
 Oceanrower 03 May 2017

Ah well, bad luck.

Though I'm willing to bet you don't go next time either....
In reply to Oceanrower:
I haven't arranged anymore trips yet.
Post edited at 00:17
 Oceanrower 04 May 2017

> I haven't arranged any trips yet.

FTFY
In reply to Oceanrower:
Looked it up

Fixed That For You

Post edited at 00:17
Andy Gamisou 04 May 2017

> Sadly I didn't go.

I hear Ladbrokes have just gone bust
 slab_happy 04 May 2017

> Sadly I didn't go.

Why not?
In reply to slab_happy:

I wasn't walking 100% properly and two top level climbers told me that I should see a doctor or physio first.
 Wayne S 04 May 2017

Yawn...............
In reply to Scotch Bingington:

I'm not a gambling man but I have heard of Ladbrokes.
 John Ww 04 May 2017

> I wasn't walking 100% properly and two top level climbers told me that I should see a doctor or physio first.

Have you heard of a top level climber called Joe Simpson? I believe he also struggled to walk 100% properly, but it didn't seem to deter him.

JW
 jezb1 05 May 2017

When I was going through the Mountaineering Instructor scheme there was another fella on it with a prosthetic leg! I didn't even notice until he was putting his rock shoes on.
In reply to John Ww:

Yes I have heard of him.
In reply to jezb1:

How did the guy cope?....
When I was at Craggy 2 a long time ago, at one time there was a guy climbing with a prosthetic leg.

I think that what everybody is trying to tell you, once again, is to stop creating excuses and just go!!

As an above poster said even if you just get to the peak and don't feel 100% go for a wander, see the crags and get a feel for what it's all about! scramble a descent route or something!

Then when all cylinders are firing you can head back confident in what to expect and give it your all.

The offers to take you climbing will dry up soon and you'll end up paying for someone to take you out, which may be a good thing, but then again going with an experience friend can be more fun.

Just go!!!!
 Rich D 05 May 2017
In reply to Euan McKendrick:

Hi Savaas, it's worth just wondering along stanage, and around burbage boulders etc and having a look at them in real life, even if you're not able to climb at that time. Great way to relax and get inspired for when you can get back out there to try climbing them. I'll be doing that on Saturday limping around with the kids as i've got a dislocated toe. There's always a reason not to go and life does get in the way, but next time just turn up. You're more than welcome to have a bimble around some easy boulders with me at any time, I'll even let you fall on my mat.

Rich
Next time
I've actually not had many offers this year.
Post edited at 12:38
In reply to Rich D:
Will do
Thanks
Post edited at 12:11
 Sprucedgoose 05 May 2017

Clears throat, ahem.

Fluid on the knee?.

Easy solution.. . .

A tap on the shin.
In reply to Sprucedgoose:

I feel 98.9%....
 Oceanrower 05 May 2017

> I've actually not had many offers this year.

I wonder why...
In reply to Oceanrower:

I'm hardly posting in this section and the lifts/partners section.
 Michael Gordon 05 May 2017

> The offers to take you climbing will dry up soon and you'll end up paying for someone to take you out

Hopefully someone who still charges for cancellations!

In reply to Michael Gordon:

Me and Caff are teaming up in Autumn.

When are you heading to Malham? I hear raindogs is on the cards??

And autumn is ages away!! What about the summer?

I think Autumn is a good time as Jim Pope has told me it is a Suntrap - hopefully September or October.

Caff wants to do Rainshadow and I'm up for Raindogs.

What about the summer?

As in warm weather, loads of climbing etc.

Very true.
Me and Mick Ward are heading to The Cuttings that is for sure. I want to do a lot of grit this year.

I'm considering doing a BMC Ready to Rock course in The Peak in June.
 slab_happy 05 May 2017

So what happened to the idea of going anyway, even if your knees didn't let you climb?

Sav, can I ask a difficult question?

You've made a *lot* of arrangements to climb outside with people, and each time something's come up that's prevented you from going -- you're not walking 100% properly, you've got a cold, you've sprained your wrist and so on. Every. Single. Time. Either you're the unluckiest person ever, or something else is going on.

Here's the question: when something like that comes up (as it always does), do you just feel disappointed -- or does part of you, deep inside, feel relieved that now you don't have to go?

As I've said before, I know from personal experience that setting off for the first time on a climbing trip with someone you don't know (and where it's not all arranged for you, as with Plas-y-Brenin or something like that) can be a pretty scary and overwhelming prospect.

And there's also the thing of knowing that your daydreams are going to collide with reality: you'll get outside and you won't be the instantly-amazing climber you are in your fantasies. Which is something all of us have to deal with, to some degree; none of us are as cool as we are in our daydreams!

I will be blunt and say that I don't think you're going to be climbing HVS on your first time on grit; you're going to be starting on Mods and Diffs. And maybe that's a blow to the ego you don't want to face right now.

If you like thinking and talking about climbing outside, but you're not actually ready to cope with going outside yet, or you don't really want to -- that's *fine*.

But you have to be honest with yourself about it, and honest with other people.
In reply to slab_happy:

I'm going to answer your second q.
I feel disappointed.
Ah good. The cuttings has some great routes for you to enjoy, word of warning. In the summer it's an oven!!

A course would be ace as all you need to do is turn up and everything is sorted for you!
Post edited at 18:04

I've checked out the UK Climbing logbook for The Cuttings.

It's £30 a person and at a 1:8 instructor:ratio.
 Blue Straggler 05 May 2017

> I'm up for Raindogs.

Raindogs is an 8a rock climb.
I suggest you start on a 3, not an 8a.

> Caff wants to do Rainshadow

Who is going to belay him?

> I'm up for Raindogs.

From john cook's comment on Rockfax database:
" A classic power endurance route with no desperately hard stopper moves, it just keeps coming at you! Quickly clip that power sapping last draw and power on up to the belay."
In reply to Blue Straggler:
Yo se/conozco Raindogs es un 8a.
In an article in BMC Summit by Caff. He says anyone can redpoint an 8a and suggests do some 7bs to start of width. He also lists a lots of 8a s and in categories.
Post edited at 19:38

I'll belay him.
Is indoor bouldering a good way to build power endurance?
Post edited at 19:39
 Oceanrower 05 May 2017

> In an article in BMC Summit by Caff. He says anyone can redpoint an 8a

He's wrong.
Or you've misread it.

How many 6as have you done outdoors??
 Oceanrower 05 May 2017
A better question is "How much climbing of any kind have you done outdoors?"

I'm pretty sure I could answer that.......

Savas, please, please don't even try to jump onto something like Raindogs straight away. Try a Mod or a Diff if trad. A reasonably unpolished 3ish if sport (They do exist, Fallen Slab Arette for example.)

You won't enjoy it, your partner won't enjoy it and nobody watching will enjoy it. Please, for goodness sake, start on something easy.

It great to have ambition but start small!
Post edited at 20:13
In reply to Oceanrower:

I don't think I have.

None
In reply to Oceanrower:

I think this thread has gone off-topic
 John Ww 05 May 2017

> "Caff wants to do Rainshadow and I'm up for Raindogs"

Sorry Savvas, but here's my considered opinion...

In
Your
F*cking
Dreams

Mind you, I might just as well save my breath, because no matter how many people tell you the same thing, or how often, you continue to ignore them and just go on deluding yourself.

How about this as a suggestion - in future, don't post ANYTHING about your upcoming trips, but instead, once you've actually been and done something outdoors on real rock with real people, THEN post a report and tell us all about it.

JW

Oceanrower 05 May 2017

> I think this thread has gone off-topic

They often do...
In reply to John Ww:

I agree about the post a report.
 Red Rover 05 May 2017

The best thing to do just to build up from the very beginning. Something like this:

Go up to the Peak and wander round stanage. Get used to walking on rough ground off the paths and over rocks.
Second or top rope some Mod's, then Diffs, then VDiffs to see if you actually like climbing. Do this with an experienced partner or instructor so you're safe

Learn the basics of climbing with PyB or similar and take it from there.

Just forget about raindogs etc and focus on actually getting out even if its just to look at the crags, one step at a time.
In reply to Red Rover:
Well....
I'm considering a BMC subsidised Ready to Rock course.
I enjoyed myself when I was at PyB.
Post edited at 20:48
 John Ww 05 May 2017

> I agree about the post a report.

Splendid - now do the other part, and stop telling us about what you are planning to do, and just tell us what you've done!

JW
In reply to John Ww:

No probs
 deepsoup 05 May 2017
> In an article in BMC Summit by Caff. He says anyone can redpoint an 8a...

Perhaps he means anyone can train themselves up to the point that they're able to redpoint an 8a eventually. After a great deal of effort and a structured programme of training. If so I think he may be wrong about that, he's probably underestimating the sheer lack of talent that many of us bring to bear!

What is absolutely certain though, is that nobody can redpoint an 8a with Caff who is unable to turn up at Stanage and bimble up a few Diffs with Nik. Sorry to be blunt Savvas, but get a grip.

Did you read Red Rover's post just up there? ^^
Read it again dude, it's an excellent suggestion.

You seem very interested in the grit, so how about you just see if you can get yourself up to the Peak, even for a day trip, and just take a walk around Stanage, say, to have a look at it.

Don't even think about climbing, just walk, look and if you're feeling confident and sure-footed maybe scramble about a wee bit. That would be enough for one day really, quite a significant step forward actually from where you are right now.
In reply to deepsoup:

Yes I have read it and I'm going to have this thread removed or archived.
 Oceanrower 05 May 2017

> Yes I have read it and I'm going to have this thread removed or archived.

Why? Or rather, on what grounds? Just because you don't like the replies? Tough. Welcome to the Interwebbynet.
In reply to Oceanrower:
I think it has gotten WAY off topic and I think it is an old and irrelevant thread.

I think I'm spending too much time on UK C.
Post edited at 21:35
 Red Rover 05 May 2017
All the best Sav I would forget about climbing and having any objectives at all, just enjoy getting outside and take it from there.
Post edited at 21:38
In reply to Red Rover:

CAB
Cool As Beans.
 JLS 05 May 2017
I despair. CAB x -10 =
Post edited at 22:06
In reply to JLS:

Why?
 JLS 05 May 2017

Why not?

Greasy Prusiks 05 May 2017

Hi Sav

Best of luck getting up to the peak one day, it's a great place and you'll really enjoy it.

Keep working at it and one day it'll happen.

Cheers
In reply to Greasy Prusiks:
Gracias
Shukran
Post edited at 22:23
 webbo 05 May 2017

The more you post, the more you fail to turn up, the more you reply " As cool as beans" the less people will be thinking this about your disabilities and the reality is either you are a wind up merchant.
Or possibly your disability is in relation to your personality.
 Wayne S 06 May 2017
My yawn......... ^^^^^ above is in recognition of how this thread was always going. If you have used UKC any amount of time you will know the cycle. I find it hard to know whether to offer help/ advise or to plain get annoyed with you, I suspect I am not alone in this. So to declare my position, the following is offered in a spirit of help/advice.

Firstly, you have a habit of asking people for advice then poo pooing anything you do not like by grand statements like "top climbers say", X says something or another. This risks being seen a rude and disrespectful. Not all advice on here is sound, but the vast majority is and is given freely and without agenda by people who love climbing of whatever type or standard.

Climbing in its essence is about being outside and touching rock (or ice, snow and mountains) we may construct elaborate games around this, but you have to want to be in this environment.

Taking small steps into this environment and enjoying it is no bad thing. Go have a quiet look at a crag without climbing etc etc, build up the plan and desire from that. No forum or advise can give you what you need to get out and climb, this is an inner desire not a fantasy. A good amount of climbers I know are self taught and self reliant, this is the hard way in, but shows if you want something there should be no obstacles which can't be overcome.

Climbing comes first, training is what one does when you want to improve on the innate skills/ physical make up you start with. You don't have to do this in advance (instead) of actually climbing.

You talk routes and grades, this is nonsense given your experience. Go climb 10 real V Diffs and people will gladly discuss what is needed to get to E grades. You have no foundation for grade talk as yet.

I think offers for help will dry up given your "difficulties". I truly hope you find a way to get out climbing, if indeed this is what you want.

Good luck

Wayne
Post edited at 08:56
 The Ivanator 06 May 2017

Hi Savvas,
Are you aware of this place http://www.cyclepdfs.co.uk/climb.pdf (Fairlop Waters bouldering park), it occurred to me that it might be a good first step to outdoor climbing for you.
It is in London, it is outside but probably offers something not too dissimilar to the indoor bouldering experience you are familiar with. They are artificial boulders, but without big coloured holds, so may help you make the transition to real rock. The link I've posted has clear topos to the problems and there is a good range of grades for a novice. It is even on UKC logbooks Fairlop Boulders so you can record your efforts.
Just an idea...

Ivan
Hi Ivan.
No I'm not aware of them. Thanks for the info.
Will give them a fair go.

Sav
Post edited at 13:57
 Blue Straggler 06 May 2017

> Will give them a fair go.

I think I speak for everyone when I say we all look forward to reading your report on your visit to the Fairlop boulders.

Oceanrower 06 May 2017

I'll bet he doesn't go.....
 deacondeacon 06 May 2017
In reply to Oceanrower:
You've made your point. Let it go.

That place looks awesome! Where in London is it??

Barkingside is the nearest station.
 slab_happy 06 May 2017

I think Fairlop station is closer to the bit of the park that has the boulders (about 10 minutes walk), but yeah, you could walk from either.

So, near the far east end of the Central Line.

And it's great fun -- a brilliant suggestion from Ivan!

On a sunny day it can be really nice: you can look out over the yachting lake, and there's a pub which sells food and has a toilet (an amenity which most crags don't have!). There are problems at all levels of difficulty, and of course you can make up your own or just scramble around wherever it looks like fun.

The boulders are surrounded with shingle, which is shock-absorbing, so for a lot of the problems you don't necessarily need a mat. Though it'd probably be a good idea to take one, given your recent knee injury; you don't want to stress your joints unecessarily.

As Ivan says, it really is halfway between indoor and outdoor bouldering, and could maybe be a helpful transitional step for you.

It's going to be a little bit more of a journey than going to the Castle (for example), but way less than going to the southern sandstone or the Peak.

And you don't need to plan or make arrangements with anyone -- as long as it's not raining and you feel like it, you can just go!
In reply to slab_happy:

Funny thing....
You got me looking into buying a bouldering mat....
Mind you I've been meaning to buy one.
 webbo 06 May 2017
That will be worth buying off you in a couple of years as it will be still like new.
In reply to webbo:

Ha ha
Very funny!
LMAO
 MJAngry 07 May 2017

So another injury sustained.
 gethin_allen 07 May 2017

I can't be arsed to read the entire thread I so apologise if I'm repeating anything already said.

STOP LOOKING FOR EXCUSES! Just get out and get going and you'll be fine.

It's often daunting when you're starting something a bit out of your comfort zone but, once you start you'll be fine.

Your climbing partner/s, who no doubt are putting themselves out to help you, aren't expecting you to turn up and climb E-grades but they are expecting you to turn up, and if you keep crying off at every opportunity even the most understanding people will eventually give up on you.

Cover your knee with a dressing to give it some protection from bumps and take the drugs your doctor has prescribed for you, they wouldn't have prescribed them if they thought the risk was significant.
In reply to gethin_allen:
I've taken the medication and I do wear a knee supports - one on the left and one on the right.

Everything back to normal now.
Post edited at 12:29
 Nick Alcock 07 May 2017

> I've taken the medication and I do wear a knee supports - one on the left and one on the right.Everything back to normal now.

Well for goodness sake go bloody climbing then.
Andy Gamisou 07 May 2017

> I've taken the medication and I do wear a knee supports - one on the left and one on the right.Everything back to normal now.

What do you do with the middle one?
In reply to Nick Alcock:

Will do.

Is this on reference to Rolf Harris 3 legged man sketch?
Andy Gamisou 07 May 2017

> Is this on reference to Rolf Harris 3 legged man sketch?

No.

What's it about?
Andy Gamisou 07 May 2017

> What's it about?

It's about 9:10 (where I am).

I was asking about your post about the middle leg.
 dr_botnik 07 May 2017

Sav I think they are just trying to wind you up. I can't see you getting any more useful advice from further posts. I would advise you to reread slab_happy's earlier posts, there are some very good suggestions made about just trying a "dry run" to the peak district to familiarise yourself with the journey time and the area. Try doing that, and going for a walk along the path from burbage valley and trying to positively identify some of the classic climbs. Once you are confident that you are capable of making that journey, then try organising a partner.
In reply to dr_botnik:

I've been there twice.
 dr_botnik 07 May 2017

Ok, well now is the perfect time for another trip, everywhere has dried out, the weather is fine and the midges haven't reached unbearable levels yet, get yourself a quick trip up.
 slab_happy 07 May 2017

> I feel disappointed.

I'm sure you do! But sometimes it's possible to feel disappointed and also a bit relieved at the same time.

(Anyone who's been gearing up for a big lead when it starts raining will know what I mean, I think ...)

If that's the case, it doesn't mean you can't get outside -- if you actually *want* to. But it might mean things need to be planned differently somehow to make it less stressful for you.

If it's not the case, why do you think something *always* happens to stop you going on a trip?

And is there anything that might change that, and make it possible for you to actually go on a trip? I know you went on a one-to-one course at Plas-Y-Brenin and that was okay, so what was it about that which made it work out?

I'm not expecting you to give me answers to these; they're things for you to think about.

Also, do you have a counsellor or therapist of some kind? I'm not asking this as a way of saying I think you're crazy (although, speaking as someone who *does* have mental health issues, there's no shame in that!).

But it sounds like it might be useful for you to have someone to talk to in real life (maybe someone who knows a lot about dyspraxia and related issues) who can help you talk through things like this, and think about good ways of coping with your disabilities, and maybe help make more sense out of some of the reactions you get from people.

We're all just a bunch of strangers on the internet, which is not always a safe or kind space (as you've discovered).

I think most people would genuinely like to see you get to climb outside, but are sometimes puzzled or frustrated about why you keep not going on trips, and about what to say when you seem to have unrealistic expectations about what you're going to be able to climb.

It's hard to know over the internet what would actually be helpful for you.
In reply to dr_botnik:

I agree
 full stottie 07 May 2017

Sav, you do keep on trying lad. I know you're really interested in climbing and I can see its not been easy for you to get out there and do much, but if its genuinely important to you, you must keep making plans and hope that your dreams will come true on that special day when you accept an offer and get up any outdoor climb with a helpful leader. The people who offer you help on here are the kind of people who won't let you down or stop offering. Ignore the rest of them.

I'm about to be 70 and I'm not a very good climber, I'm overweight and under-strength, with arthritic joints, but every time I go climbing I feel so much better. Don't let too much time go by without taking the chances you have.

Go for it! Make it happen!

Dave
In reply to full stottie:
I'm 38 and overweight yet I'm strong.
Many years ago I tore and twisted one of my tendons in my left knee at a friends party....
It can flare up sometimes and it can be little painful.
Post edited at 22:46
Hi Sav,

I'm in between you and full stottie with housemaid's, jumper's or clergyman's knee- whatever you want to call it.
Come to the Peak, I'll put you up for free in Fulwood, with full English breakfast, copious Sheffield Craft Brewery Ales, a short walk or drive to Stanage Pop, Burbage, Froggatt or Birchens.

We can, I'm sure gather up some UKC'ers as support,(Jon Stewart, TimmD, Deacon, Buxton Coffeee Lover etc) and we can walk around, scope out routes, climb, (look at) Mods, V. Diffs with ropes, or solo higher grade routes if you prefer,

This isn't a sale , so the offer is here in perpetuity until I'm knocking on heavens door (Metaphorically- not the route).

All the best,

Adrian
In reply to Ade in Sheffield:
I'm up for it but I don't know when. I know some people who would like to boulder with me. The soloing would be interesting.

Post edited at 00:06

It's not about others, it's about you.
Soloing comes after seconding and then leading.
The analogy is tricycle, bicycle, unicycle.
You learn on the tricycle first- (i.e. seconding).
I/ we (uKC'ers) can show you lots of 3 star stuff at whatever grade you want.
The first step is to get off the train in Sheffield!!!!
You'll have a great time, even if you don't step on grit.
You're overthinking it.
 John Ww 08 May 2017
No, he's overavoiding it - as always.

JW
I'm up for seconding and bouldering
Didn't you offer soloing in your previous post?
Well some people say climbing can be a selfish sport.
Post edited at 00:47
In reply to John Ww:

How on Earth do you overavoid?
 loose overhang 08 May 2017
The offers of help, advice and encouragement given to you Sav are wonderful. In this world of strife and political apathy the people who come to this forum to genuinely try to get you to have a day on the crags are an inspiration to all of us. It's the small things we do everyday which make the most difference to us and those close to us and there are many people on these forums who, it seems, try hard to help you achieve something in the hills.

It is certain you are going to die one day. When that day arrives I hope you have memories of the people important to you and memories of the feel and smell of the earth and the wind and rain touching your face.

So get out there mister, take the first step, you have zero excuses.
Post edited at 02:45
 Offwidth 08 May 2017

Good man... count me in to if I'm free.

In reply to Sav

I fully understand your difficulties to commit but one day fate will align.... Ade's offer looks like the best yet.
 Wayne S 08 May 2017
In reply to Offwidth:

Great to see the thread back on track.

Sav,

Seems you have open ended offers which is great news. Take a quiet approach without too much internet broadcasting and get up to the Peak and have a good look around. The wealth of collective climbing experience offered here you could not buy. The only thing missing is you!

You know it makes sense!

Wayne
 slab_happy 08 May 2017

> Didn't you offer soloing in your previous post?

I'm guessing from the winky face after it -- -- that Ade meant that bit as a joke.
 jkarran 08 May 2017

Take up Ade's kind offer Sav. Sheffield is easy on the train from London and after that you're with climbers who know their way around and just want to help you climb.
jk
In reply to slab_happy:

I must have not seen the winky face.
In reply to jkarran:

I agree.
 slab_happy 08 May 2017

> I've been there twice.

From what you posted before:

> The first time it was for a BTCV conservation weekend near Derby - as far as I can remember the pick up point was Derby Station. The second time was a family walking trip near Bamford and I think the station was Bamford. Here we stayed in a cottage my brother had booked for us.

Going on a trip where you're responsible for arranging your own accommodation, travel, food, etc. is very different from going on trips where you're collected from the train station (or travelling with your family) and everything is arranged for you.

And it can be a lot more stressful and take more practice if you haven't done it before, especially because you're the one who has to take the initiative to make it all happen.

If I had to cancel a climbing trip at the last minute because I was injured or ill, I'd be extra annoyed because I would have lost the money I'd spent on train tickets and the deposit on the B&B room and so on. I have the impression that this hasn't been a problem for you, and that maybe you've not actually done any bookings by the point you cancel.

I have some questions. I'm sorry if they sound rude or patronizing, but I'm wondering if maybe some of these things might be part of what's making it hard for you to go on trips.

Have you ever bought train tickets by yourself before?

Have you ever booked a hotel or B&B room yourself?

Have you travelled round an unfamiliar city before? For example, how would you work out what bus you need to take to get from Sheffield train station to Hathersage?

Have you ever been on a trip somewhere where you didn't have someone else (whether it's your family or Plas-y-Brenin or Glenmore Lodge) making all the arrangements for accommodation, travel, etc.?

If you haven't ever done some of these things or aren't sure how, it's okay -- it's possible to learn and practice, and I'm sure there are people who will be on for helping with the bits you can't manage yourself.

But people can't help solve the problems if we don't know that they *are* problems for you.
 slab_happy 08 May 2017
In reply to loose overhang:

> there are many people on these forums who, it seems, try hard to help you achieve something in the hills.

I agree that it's great that so many people seem to want to help, but I'd add a cautionary note.

(This is not just from my experiences as someone on the autistic spectrum -- I also spent some years working with kids and teenagers with severe and complex disabilities and behavioural issues. So I have multiple perspectives here.)

Sometimes it's easy to get emotionally invested and put a lot of energy into trying to help someone.

Which would be great, except that it means that if it doesn't work out and you don't know why and the person doesn't respond in the way you want, it can be easy to get frustrated and angry at them, and feel that they're "refusing" to be helped (which may or may not be true in any given case -- but even if it is, people are allowed to refuse help).

This is an extremely understandable and human reaction, but also tends not to make the situation better for anyone.

Sometimes, it's necessary to know when you need to make yourself step back a bit ...
In reply to slab_happy:

Read it
In reply to slab_happy:
I will answer your questions.
National Mountain Centres and BTCV did not pay for my travel and nor did my brother.

I have not purchased tickets by myself but I know how to using thetrainline.com, National Rail Website and Purple Spotted Hanky.

I have never booked accommodation myself but websites like Trivago.co.uk, Booking.com, Hotels.co.uk seem easy to use.

National Mountain Centres and BTCV don't arrange travel and I look at the train times myself.

I've actually studied these things as part of an Business Administration course.

I've never travelled round an unfamiliar city before by myself....
I could ask around at Sheffield - like at the station - or look it up on my phone.

But I have never done cancellations.

Post edited at 13:30
 jkarran 08 May 2017

> I agree.

Good. Get a date agreed and a train booked
jk
In reply to slab_happy:

I meant Red Spotted Hanky.
 deepsoup 08 May 2017
> We can, I'm sure gather up some UKC'ers as support...

It might be a bit overwhelming for Sav if *everybody* on UKC turns up, but I'd be up for tagging along if I'm free.
In reply to deepsoup:
It just might be.
Gracias
Post edited at 15:08
 slab_happy 08 May 2017

> National Mountain Centres and BTCV don't arrange travel

No, but I believe Plas-y-Brenin will (for example) pick you up from the station if you want, and then you get a lift from PyB to the crag with the instructor and back each day so on.

It's not a judgement on you that you haven't done these things before! I was well on in my life before I did any of them for the first time. Which is one reason I guessed that maybe you might not have.

But it does mean that in some ways it's going to be more of a challenge for you than for someone who's had lots of practice with all these things, just because you'll be doing a lot of things for the first time.

And I think it can be helpful for other people to be aware that this is your first time doing some of these things.

> I have never booked accommodation myself but websites like Trivago.co.uk, Booking.com, Hotels.co.uk seem easy to use.

Yup! And I think the various hotels in Hathersage have booking facilities directly on their websites.

> I've never travelled round an unfamiliar city before by myself.... I could ask around at Sheffield - like at the station - or look it up on my phone

http://travelsouthyorkshire.com/ is super-useful and has a journey planner (and the bus to Hathersage would be the 65/65a or the 271/272).

And the Sheffield bus interchange is a few blocks from the train station, with very clear signs.

Oh, also http://megatrain.com/ is very good for cheap last-minute tickets between London and Sheffield, though you either have to print out a confirmation e-mail or use a text message from them as your "ticket".

I'm adding these as extra bits of info which might help, but it sounds like you've got a fairly good idea of how to do these travel things -- now it's a question of putting it into practice! *g*
 slab_happy 08 May 2017

> It just might be.

Yes, I think having the whole of UKC descend on you would be enough to daunt anyone! *g*
In reply to slab_happy:
Glad you got back to me.
Thanks for the extra links and info.
No worries.

The National Mountain Centres can pick you up from the nearest station if you want Glenmore Lodge from Aviemore and PyB from Llandudno Junction but when I went with PyB on a 1:1 course they picked me up from Betws Y Coed. The do drive you to the crag, hillside etc....

BTCV and The National Mountain Centres do provide meals but I took my own spending money with me like pub meals and souvenirs.....

Like when I went to Glenmore Lodge I got the overnight train at Aviemore: I had breakfast at a cafe near the station and lunch at a pub after I had a bit of a walk. That night GML I had to pay for dinner and a soft drink.

On BTCV you usually have to help with preparing g and cooking dinner and breakfast along with washing the dishes etc.
Lunch is always a packed lunch that you have to prepare yourself including making your own sandwiches.

Sav
Post edited at 22:55
 streapadair 08 May 2017

Sav, please, please take up Ade_in_Sheffield's offer, it's absolute pure gold and you'll never get a better one.

And don't call off under any circumstances short of nuclear war breaking out.

The gain in self-respect and the respect of others will change your life.
In reply to streapadair:

I will
 Wayne S 09 May 2017
In reply to streapadair:

Not sure if On Peak Rock has a section for good crags in event of a nuclear war, however I'm sure there must still be good options even then!
I think you would need to go case by case basis on whether nuclear war was is in fact grounds for climbing trip cancellation.

I'm sure Thors Cave would be fine for instance with a few extra sandbags, some cans of food and some bottled water.

On a brighter note would nuclear fallout kill off a few midges?
 deepsoup 09 May 2017
In reply to Wayne S:
> On a brighter note would nuclear fallout kill off a few midges?

Ha! Dream on.
In reply to loose overhang:

Agreed

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...