UKC

NEWS: CAC Fundraiser Edward Mills wins Pride of Britain Award

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 UKC News 31 Oct 2018
In June, 8-year-old Edward Mills became the youngest person to free the Old Man of Hoy (137m) on Orkney and raised over £30,000 for the charity Climbers Against Cancer in the process. In recognition of his fundraising effort, Edward has won a Pride of Britain award. The presentation will be televised on Tuesday 6th November.

Read more
 The New NickB 02 Nov 2018
In reply to UKC News:

Fantastic achievement and apologies if this has mentioned before, but the article and the original story it links to refers to him being the youngest person to “free” the Old Man. I’m assuming it hasn’t been aid-climbed by a 7 year old.

Is there a reason why the article doesn’t just refer to him being the youngest person to climb the Old Man. Freeing also suggests to me that he led the route, which quite understandably he didn’t.

In reply to The New NickB:

I think - from recollection - there was an instance of a younger lad being dragged (quite literally) up by his father.

Pedro50 02 Nov 2018
In reply to The New NickB:

> Is there a reason why the article doesn’t just refer to him being the youngest person to climb the Old Man. Freeing also suggests to me that he led the route, which quite understandably he didn’t.

I think free climbing whilst seconding is a perfectly acceptable category and is to be congratulated in this specific example. 

Sean Kelly 02 Nov 2018
In reply to UKC News:

Is this not another example of the insidious creep of an American term into the British climbing language. We already hear 'off-belay'  'stem' and 'free-solo' and heaven's know what else. Soon we shall accept the American dictionary for all our spelling if MS, Google, Apple  et al have their way!

sfletch 03 Nov 2018
In reply to Sean Kelly:

Out of curiosity what did we used to shout when we took someone off belay before ‘off-belay’?

Steve Clegg 03 Nov 2018
In reply to sfletch:

> ... what did we used to shout when we took someone off belay ...

’yer off’ - and we still do.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...