UKC

ARTICLE: Crag Notes: Short Lasting Light

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 UKC Articles 11 Dec 2019
Crag Notes: Stanage In Crag Notes this month, Hannah French reflects upon an autumnal day at Stanage, snatched from between the storms in the short lasting light.

Read more
 Mark Goodwin 12 Dec 2019
In reply to UKC Articles:

Hannah, such a beautiful piece! 

And this 

"A kestrel is levitating a couple of feet above our heads. Bemused by its quiet, subtle and sublime ability to hold ground in a groundless air, we catch wind of its airs as it catches wind. This moment feels eternally long and yet is gone in an instant. Oh to be like a kestrel, floating above the invisible."

... that is especially beautiful.

And the words 'to hold ground in groundless air' - wow! ... brilliant!

mark

In reply to Mark Goodwin:

I thought you might enjoy that Mark.

I particularly liked “so many things to climb, so many years of days like today”, but I think that's because I've always been fascinated with the relationship of time has on one's perspective of climbing. In my youth it was all very frantic and fast paced, I had to get everything done now, and got very annoyed when things got in my way. Looking back, I think I got a little overwhelmed with the first part of that sentence - “so many things to climb" without realising that a) I didn't have to get them all done today b) that there were indeed "so many years of days like" this that lay ahead. As such, there wasn't so much of a need to rush.

I believe this realisation has done my personality - not to mention my mental health - the world of good.

Tangents aside, many thanks to Hannah for this superb piece of writing.

Dan Arkle 12 Dec 2019

Nice one Hannah.

It moved me.

I moved to Sheffield to be close to the Grit fifteen years ago. I'll often head out just to be at Stanage at the end of a hard day.

Dave Garnett 12 Dec 2019

That's one of the best pieces of climbing writing I've read in a long time.  I can smell the bracken from California! 

Mark Goodwin 12 Dec 2019
In reply to Rob Greenwood - UKClimbing:

Yes, Rob! And as I was reading it, it crossed my mind that you would think that I would enjoy it. There is much poetry in this! I wonder if Hannah writes poetry ... well, what I mean is, sets out to write poems, and sets them out as poems ... ?

But anyway ... someone else has commented how they were moved by this piece, and I too was moved by it. And yes, I also noticed - "so many things to climb, so many years of days like today". And also, as a young climber I would sometimes focus too much on getting things done (or rather not!) It was the poet I am that had a word with the young climber ... got the youngster to go slow and settle into the space and solidity of Stanage ... or whatever other rock-spirited place I found myself in. Hannah has certainly felt the place, and how to place herself in it! Recently chatting with Nick - I know it has taken him much doing and doing and going and going to at last find the kind of peace Hannah is talking about here. This beautiful movement through time and space we call climbing - perhaps its best gift is when it teaches us how to properly connect with and BE in our world ...

Hannah French 13 Dec 2019
In reply to Dave Garnett:

Thank you very much Dave. Can you smell how soggy the bracken is? This season has regrettably lacked the prevalence of such dryness, or days like the one I wrote of.  I hope the weather in California is much more kind. 

Phil Swainson 13 Dec 2019

Lovely piece Hannah.  Many years since I moved from Sheffield, but I sure remember the kestrels over the eastern edges in the evening light.  Thank you.

planetmarshall 16 Dec 2019

> "A kestrel is levitating a couple of feet above our heads. Bemused by its quiet, subtle and sublime ability to hold ground in a groundless air, we catch wind of its airs as it catches wind. 

Bemused. It's a funny word that. I see it used in this way a lot, but I'm never entirely sure it means what the author thinks it means. I guess you could say I'm bemused by its usage?

Great piece though.

Hannah French 17 Dec 2019
In reply to planetmarshall:

Bemused, is a funny word. It can mean perplexed or confused. But, it can also represent the notion of being preoccupied; lost in thought, or stunned. I've gone for the latter meaning. This moment certainly preoccupied me, and I was somewhat confused my the incredulity of a kestrel floating so closely above my head. These sights are so rare that they tend to impact me in such a way. Thanks for your comments. 

Hannah French 17 Dec 2019

Thank you for your kind and lovely comments Mark! I'm glad you liked the piece. I occasionally try writing a little poetry. BUT, meddling with syllables and rhyme schemes can feel like wearing a straight jacket, perhaps because I haven't got my head around these features well enough to feel at ease when writing. Subsequently, free-verse prose is my go to! Rob tells me you are thinking of setting up some workshops? Feel free to get in touch. 

trailertrash 04 Jan 2020

Such a lovely piece of writing. Thanks Hannah!

gooberman-hill 05 Jan 2020

Lovely writing. 

Don't understand the dislikes though. Bemused ??

Steve

Agreed. One of the best pieces of succinct 'climbing writing' I've read for aeons. Hannah's ability to capture essences in a few brilliantly chosen, poetic words is simply breathtaking.

paul mitchell 26 Jan 2020

That photo top left is an Andy Barker problem. Often we didn't name  problems back in the day.

Chris_Mellor 27 Jan 2020

Gosh that's different - in a very good way.

LeeWood 27 Jan 2020

> Oh to be like a kestrel, floating above the invisible

You can too indeed - I once flew a hang-glider from Stanage on an XC trip 40 miles up into Yorkshire. Before getting away I had some uncomfortable moments in front and below the rocks virtually in contact with the curly bracken - approx half a km E of the plantation. Later in the flight I had some more difficult moments before a seagull showed me the next thermal.

So thanks for the article and the memories it has returned   

Yanis Nayu 27 Jan 2020

This:

“The glow of amber seems to ignite the moorland and as the sun burns its last, so do we.”

Nice piece. 

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...