UKC

Today at the Test

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 Sean Kelly 02 Jun 2022

Wow, what is happening here. It sounds like an England batting colaspse. New Zealand 7-3. Wonderful start and Anderson yet to even concede a run. Come on England.

Oh, Williamson has just gone. New Bowler Potts too. 12-4!

Post edited at 11:54
OP Sean Kelly 02 Jun 2022
In reply to Sean Kelly:

27-5. This is looking ominous for N.Z. I bet Stokes never expected this in his wildest dreams.

Post edited at 12:36
 Andy Clarke 02 Jun 2022
In reply to Sean Kelly:

36 for 6 now. Potts 3 for 6 on debut. I am grumpily nursing man-flu. Perhaps I'm hallucinating.

In reply to Sean Kelly:

Absolutely unbelievable first morning for England. Bad luck for Jack Leach, that fall looked very painful.

In reply to Sean Kelly:

Reminds me of a test in 1976 or so where Mike Selvey, also I think on debut and at Lords, reduced the great West Indies of that era to 40-5 or so at lunch on the first day.

It didn't stop them winning the series 5-0. Just sayin'.

jcm

Wainers44 02 Jun 2022
In reply to Sean Kelly:

So from this and another thread....

We have the finest armed forces, the finest test team, and the finest mums....

Let's just stop everything now and revel in that. 😁

In reply to Sean Kelly:

England now 96 - 4 ................ 🙄

n1ge 02 Jun 2022
In reply to Christheclimber:

> England now 96 - 4 ................ 🙄

Make that 100 - 7

Post edited at 18:14
 earlsdonwhu 02 Jun 2022
In reply to Sean Kelly:

Kiwis could end up with a first innings lead! 

Getting tickets for day four or five used to be tempting fate but these days an England game getting past day three looks implausible!

In reply to n1ge:

Let’s see what happens today after yesterday’s batting collapse......

RobAJones 03 Jun 2022
In reply to earlsdonwhu:

> Getting tickets for day four or five used to be tempting fate but these days an England game getting past day three looks implausible!

Getting past day 2 doesn't look certain at the moment. 

In reply to Sean Kelly:

England need to learn from Mitchell and Blundell on how to build an innings and bat steadily. After such a good start for England it looks like the only thing that will stop New Zealand winning is rain..........

Magic from Broad, 2 wickets and a run out in three balls!

OP Sean Kelly 04 Jun 2022
In reply to Sean Kelly:

England 2nd Innings

Root 33,  Stokes 34

Total(45.1 overs)124-for4

Pedro50 04 Jun 2022
In reply to Sean Kelly:

Stokes played like a complete muppet and was fortunate to get a second life. They had two days for a modest target. 

David Alcock 05 Jun 2022
In reply to Sean Kelly:

I wouldn't care to bet on the result as the state of play stands tonight. Bairstow can join Stokes in the muppet show - what were they thinking? Nice to see Broad get a boost. Fingers crossed that Foakes can hang around long enough. 

OP Sean Kelly 05 Jun 2022
In reply to Sean Kelly:

Oh dear. Squeaky bum time! 40 to win and 5 wickets

They can't throw it away from here, can they?

In reply to Sean Kelly:

100 up for Rooooooooooooooot, and 10,000 Test runs as well

Great comment on Cricinfo "Love the mathematical symmetry: Root's innings runs (100) is the square ROOT of his career runs (10,000 = 100 squared)"

Post edited at 11:56
In reply to Graeme Alderson:

Thank goodness England can rely on Root. Amazing that he has got his 10,000 runs at exactly the same age as Alistair Cook. Uncanny.

Now that we need less than 10 runs I am going to stick my head above the parapet and state that we are now favourites to win this Test

Wainers44 12 Jun 2022
In reply to Sean Kelly:

TMS, on LW, getting the shipping forecast too, and Mr R passing 150.

Life is good sometimes 

sjminfife 12 Jun 2022
In reply to Wainers44:

On a valve radio I hope

Wainers44 12 Jun 2022
In reply to sjminfife:

On a tiny portable, with flat batteries, with lovely poor crackly reception,  on St Agnes, Scilly

A sad day indeed when LW is digitised 

Post edited at 18:29
OP Sean Kelly 12 Jun 2022
In reply to Sean Kelly:

The Root / Pope partnership was of the best which has been the foundation of the innings. Almost faultless. Root is up there with the greats. And big hundreds too! I can still remember when he came in to bat in his very first test. Pure class from the start.

In reply to Sean Kelly:

A majestic innings from Root, wow! And well played Pope, not sure  why Stokes played in such a cavalier fashion.

Offwidth 13 Jun 2022

Maybe Stokes was looking for a possibility of a win rather than pootering along for an inevitable draw. Imagine the impact if he'd knocked 100 off say 60 balls. The pitch was pretty benign and the strategy worth it in my view.

Oh dear, first Pope is out and now Root is a gonner for only three.

Harry Jarvis 14 Jun 2022

However, Bairstow and Stokes seem to doing quite well ...

Andy Clarke 14 Jun 2022
In reply to Harry Jarvis:

Most boundaries ever in a test match. I'm going to need a lie down after this. 

In reply to Andy Clarke:

Fantastic from Bairstow isn't it! (Hopefully didn't just jinx it!) 

Harry Jarvis 14 Jun 2022
In reply to Andy Clarke:

> Most boundaries ever in a test match. I'm going to need a lie down after this. 

How do you think the NZ bowlers feel? Tim Southee's bowling figures for the match are currently 221-1. 

Bottom Clinger 14 Jun 2022

> ….not sure  why Stokes played in such a cavalier fashion.

I think we now know - leading by example - Bairstow was incredible. Amazing stuff. 

joem 14 Jun 2022
In reply to OneBeardedWalker:

You jixed bairstow atleast 

In reply to Bottom Clinger:

What an amazing game. I of little faith though NZ would win once Root and Pope were out cheaply. Brilliant from Bairstow and from the injured Stokes! Carnage. 

sjminfife 14 Jun 2022
In reply to Wainers44:

I have a wind up Roberts and a real valve radio that I inherited. I have not fired up the latter for a few years.

Tony Buckley 14 Jun 2022

In summary: blimey.

Highlights on to record.  I suspect I'll watch it more than once.

T.

OP Sean Kelly 14 Jun 2022
In reply to Sean Kelly:

When Joe was c&b I  thought that was it. I switched off the radio when tea was taken....what a massive mistake. And to think they were talking about dropping Bairstow!

mbh 14 Jun 2022
In reply to Sean Kelly:

Reminds me of the 1979 FA Cup Final when Arsenal were 2-0 up with five minutes to go, if memory serves, then United scored two to level it. Details are hazy, but I do remember that I gave up on Arsenal at that point only to come back from the kitchen and find that Sunderland had scored the winner.

[In truth details are way hazier than that, I think: I only remember for sure that Sunderland scored in the final minutes and that I had given up on Arsenal by that point.]

Welsh Kate 14 Jun 2022
In reply to Sean Kelly:

Just caught up with the highlights after listening on the radio earlier. Wow. Wow. Wow.

Very envious of my work colleague who made a spontaneous decision this morning to take the day off and go to Trent Bridge!

Dave Garnett 14 Jun 2022
In reply to Tony Buckley:

> In summary: blimey.

Blimey indeed!

As I sit here on a stunning evening, the Roaches glowing in the evening sun, a pint of Hen Cloud and Britain’s best pub fish and chips in front of me, an exhausted spaniel at my feet while I look at some Bairstow highlights on my phone, an unfamiliar feeling comes upon me.  There are some good things about being English sometimes…

In reply to Dave Garnett:

Hop over to the politics section, Dave; we can soon take care of those feelings.

jcm

OP Sean Kelly 14 Jun 2022
In reply to Sean Kelly:

Back to earth with a bump. 0-3. This football is dreadful!!!

Post edited at 21:24
 Welsh Kate 14 Jun 2022
In reply to Sean Kelly:

Not looking so bad from this side of Offa's Dyke, but Wales must stop conceding easy goals seconds after getting a hard-won equaliser!

Dave Garnett 14 Jun 2022
In reply to johncoxmysteriously:

Yes, I know, and I was exaggerating.  The spaniel is never exhausted but she is polite enough to pretend to be when she’s in a pub.

Pedro50 14 Jun 2022

I have to give up R4 all day so that I can enjoy BBC2 highlights at 7.00 p.m.

Then John feckin Inverdale blurted out the result on the Queens club tennis coverage on the Red Button. 

Still enjoyed the highlights however. 

In reply to Sean Kelly:

> Back to earth with a bump. 0-3. This football is dreadful!!!

Players just want to be on the beach. It’s hard to blame them. I’d love to know who took a look at the football schedule and said ‘the trouble with this is that we don’t have enough pointless international matches’.

jcm

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...