UKC

NEWS: UPDATED: Jakob Schubert makes the first ascent of Project Big

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 UKC News 20 Sep 2023

Jakob Schubert has made the first ascent of Project Big in Flatanger.

Read more

JLS 20 Sep 2023
In reply to UKC News:

Next up DNA I guess.

Climber_Bill 20 Sep 2023
In reply to UKC News:

That’s awesome. After that really close attempt a few days ago, and then some slightly worse goes, he must have thought that might be it for this year.

Yes, hopefully he’ll get back on DNA. Though he may start to focus on the Olympics.

details 20 Sep 2023
In reply to UKC News:

> Bolted by Adam Ondra around the same time he climbed Silence 9c

No, that's incorrect. He climbed Silence in 2017.

• According to Planet Mountain, he bolted it in 2013 [1].
  • Adam himself even says he "kind of" did all the moves back in 2013 [2].

[1] https://www.planetmountain.com/en/news/climbing/jakob-schubert-frees-projec...

[2] https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lbMWyAoHMks&t=315s

Post edited at 19:21
 The Grist 20 Sep 2023
In reply to UKC News:

That was actually a very epic watch with 2 ropes, wet holds, snapped holds and numerous missed clips / run outs. The route then seems to just end at some nominal location in the middle of nowhere. Doubt it will ever see many repeats but does look an amazing climb. 

Michael Hood 20 Sep 2023
In reply to The Grist:

I presume that it ends where the climbing becomes "easy", meaning really easy for those who climb 9b and above.

But I'd really like to see a decent photo topo of Flathanger that shows where all these mega-routes go - when they show the whole cave you just can't tell if it finishes only half-way up or near the top or wherever.

Southvillain 21 Sep 2023
In reply to UKC News:

A great watch. The hold breaking is a real OMG moment (and how gutted would he have been to have fallen off at that point) but the corker (for me as a sloper hater) are the two moves to those slopers. How he holds them, and then moves off the first, I do not know. Guess that's the difference between a punter and a world class climber!

McHeath 21 Sep 2023
In reply to UKC News:

Jakob´s having a fantastic year. That was a great watch; no commentary, no music, just an amazing and very controlled fight leaving you perched on the edge of the sofa with sweaty hands. The rest, so to say, is silence

Dave Todd 21 Sep 2023
In reply to Michael Hood:

> But I'd really like to see a decent photo topo of Flathanger that shows where all these mega-routes go.

This vid gives a great intro to the cave -  youtube.com/watch?v=XeMYbWxg-Hw&

Worth watching the whole thing (it's only 10 mins long) or skip to 4:00ish for some brief topo info.

In reply to details:

> No, that's incorrect. He climbed Silence in 2017.

Yes that should've been bolted not climbed. Thanks for the correction

Spanish Jack 22 Sep 2023
In reply to Southvillain:

Yeah, Jakob half jokingly said in the interview on the live stream, that falling because of that broken hold could've ended his career.

JLS 22 Sep 2023
In reply to Spanish Jack:

Kinda a shame he just tossed the broken hold. It would have made a nice little memento to keep with his comp medals.

Spanish Jack 22 Sep 2023
In reply to JLS:

Haha, that would definetely make for nice stories when he's sitting by the stove with his grand kids.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...