UKC

Guardian Quick Cryptic

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 Offwidth 16 Apr 2024

A heads up for those who have missed this. So far it seems like a good new introduction to the Cryptic game.

https://www.theguardian.com/crosswords/quick-cryptic/1

In reply to Offwidth:

Some nice anagrams there.

DaveHK 16 Apr 2024
In reply to Offwidth:

Cheers, enjoyed that.

TonyB 16 Apr 2024
In reply to Offwidth:

I've been trying to do cryptics and thought these were great. I had some problems parsing some of the answers though. I couldn't get 12 across in the 1st one. I can see the definition, but didn't quite see the word play. Then in the second one, I couldn't really understand the word play in 2 down. In the comments someone said that clue was brilliant, but it went beyond me. 

Pedro50 16 Apr 2024
In reply to TonyB:

12a agree.

2d is an anagram.

john arran 16 Apr 2024
In reply to Pedro50:

Another word for check is 'rein', as in 'rein in', and 'in audition' is suggesting a homophone.

mbh 16 Apr 2024
In reply to TonyB:

> I couldn't get 12 across in the 1st one. I can see the definition, but didn't quite see the word play. 

in audition meant 'sounds like' : so reign means rule and sounds like rein = check

Post edited at 19:15
 mark20 16 Apr 2024

I generally work through the Quiptic and Monday's Cryptic each week with varying success. Some seem quite a lot harder than others but I think it is to do with being on the same wavelength, or not, as the setter.

Fifteen squared is useful -

https://www.fifteensquared.net/2024/04/13/guardian-quick-cryptic-2-by-picar...

Lhod 16 Apr 2024
In reply to Offwidth:

The Everyman, each Sunday, is also a good intro to cryptics.

Then as the next rung on the ladder, Mondays on the regular cryptic are traditionally the easiest of the week.

Post edited at 22:29
 TonyB 17 Apr 2024
In reply to Pedro50:

Thanks, that's quite a clever anagram. I can totally see this now, and the anagram indicator is pretty clear. 

Thanks

TonyB 17 Apr 2024
In reply to john arran:

Thanks, I had wondered if it was rain as in "take a rain check". 
I thought "rein in" meant to control something. But I suppose "keeping something in check" fits with rein in. I feel this one is a bit tenuous for me, or I'm now over thinking this. 

TonyB 17 Apr 2024
In reply to mark20:

Thanks. That's really useful, and matches John Arran's description. 

kathrync 17 Apr 2024
In reply to Pedro50:

> 2d is an anagram.

Are we looking at the same crossword. I have 2d as "Audibly noticed wound (4)". I think that's a homophone, not an anagram??

kathrync 17 Apr 2024
In reply to TonyB:

> Thanks, I had wondered if it was rain as in "take a rain check". 

> I thought "rein in" meant to control something. But I suppose "keeping something in check" fits with rein in. I feel this one is a bit tenuous for me, or I'm now over thinking this. 

This one confused me as well. I got the word, but only because it was the last clue and I really couldn't think of any other word that worked with the letters I had. I only understood the clue from reading this thread, and it feels a little tenuous to me too!

mbh 17 Apr 2024
In reply to kathrync:

> Are we looking at the same crossword. I have 2d as "Audibly noticed wound (4)". I think that's a homophone, not an anagram??

2d in Quick Cryptic 2 is an anagram.

Pedro50 18 Apr 2024
In reply to kathrync:

> Are we looking at the same crossword. I have 2d as "Audibly noticed wound (4)". I think that's a homophone, not an anagram??

No we're not! 😀

kathrync 18 Apr 2024
In reply to mbh:

Agreed - but I inferred from the link in the OP that we were talking about Quick Cryptic 1, hence my confusion!

In reply to Offwidth:

I’m not immediately convinced by 12ac. The classical rule is that you need to be able to produce a sentence where ‘check’ could be substituted for ‘rein’ without changing the meaning. It’s not obvious. ‘Rein in’, sure, but that’s cheating.

Maybe ‘x acted as a check/rein on Y’s ambitions’. It’s not perfect but acceptable.

jcm

Post edited at 10:24
 mbh 20 Apr 2024
In reply to Offwidth:

QC3 done! I like Carpathian. Now for the probably much greater, days-long, challenge of today's Prize, which is a Picaroon. I tend to be all or nothing with him.

TonyB 21 Apr 2024
In reply to mbh:

I enjoyed QC3 and managed it in a surprisingly (for me) short amount of time. Although was let down by my knowledge of porches and barrels. 

tlouth7 22 Apr 2024
In reply to Offwidth:

Interesting that they still expect you to know some of the cryptic conventions, for example certain words that shorten to non-obvious pairs of letters.

kathrync 22 Apr 2024
In reply to tlouth7:

> Interesting that they still expect you to know some of the cryptic conventions, for example certain words that shorten to non-obvious pairs of letters.

This one seems a bit of a leap in that regard compared to the last two.

I also found it interesting that although I have finished the crossword, I didn't understand one of their example clues. Can anyone tell me how this one works? I understand sin = bad thing and I guess that I'm removing a P (no parking), but I can't figure out what I'm removing the P from...

Deletion

Remove letters from another word for the answer

‘Car trip with no parking is bad thing (3)’ gives SIN

abcdefg 22 Apr 2024
In reply to kathrync:

Remove the 'p' from 'spin.'

kathrync 23 Apr 2024
In reply to abcdefg:

> Remove the 'p' from 'spin.'

Aha! Thanks.

tlouth7 23 Apr 2024
In reply to kathrync:

> This one seems a bit of a leap in that regard compared to the last two.

True, although number 2 had 11 down: cool down one spicy food (6) which is a single letter but not obvious.

mbh 23 Apr 2024
In reply to tlouth7:

> True, although number 2 had 11 down: cool down one spicy food (6) which is a single letter but not obvious.

Isn't this just as per the rubric: last word (pair) was the definition and what preceded was a double definition. Taking 'I' for 1 or 'O' for 0 or duck isn't that cryptic, no?

mbh 23 Apr 2024
In reply to kathrync:

> ‘Car trip with no parking is bad thing (3)’ gives SIN

I had to stare at that for quite a while before I saw it.

Cooper51 23 Apr 2024
In reply to mbh:

Tbf Picaroon has now given me my new favourite cryptic crossword clue:

Nerd with new Capri pants, not a sweater? (6,6)

😁

G. Tiger, Esq. 23 Apr 2024
In reply to Cooper51:

Laughed out loud when I got that one 

In reply to G. Tiger, Esq.:

Yes, a good one. Requires some knowledge of current affairs to understand the definition part of the clue i.e. understand why the answer is the right one.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...