UKC

NEWS: Countdown to Great Climb - website up

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 Michael Ryan 13 Aug 2007
The BBC now have the Great Climb website up www.bbc.co.uk/scotland/greatclimb and quite snazzy it is too. As reported at UKClimbing.com on Friday Dave Macleod maybe attempting a new E10, live on TV!

WHEN

BBC Two Scotland, Saturday 18 August, 1300-1900. BBC Two network, 1725-1835. Also on BBCi and ...

Read more at http://www.ukclimbing.com/news/
 sutty 13 Aug 2007
In reply to Mick Ryan - UKClimbing.com:

Good website, maps, satellite images, topos for the routes, what more can anyone want?
In reply to sutty: coverage in england??? is it seriously only on bbc scotland and bbci? not even on any of the digital channels? How can they do this to us!
 Simon Caldwell 13 Aug 2007
In reply to Psychopathic_Barbie:
There's a 'contact us' link on their website, it'll be too late to change anything this time round but maybe worth letting them know that some people south of the border are interested too.
 steve taylor 13 Aug 2007

You can get BBC Scotland on Sky somewhere...
 Lemony 13 Aug 2007
In reply to Mick Ryan - UKClimbing.com: What a great little website. Much better than I'd have expected. It manages the clever trick of being interesting for climbers without being too technical for non-climbers.

My one complaint is that they don't give high enough priority to the "Getting Involved" section. Something as potentially inspirational as this should have a heavy emphasis on guiding people into the sport safely and responsibly.

Even though I only get an hour of coverage and some grainy web stuff I'm still really looking forward to this.
 sandywilson 13 Aug 2007
In reply to steve taylor:
>
> You can get BBC Scotland on Sky somewhere...

Entertainment and scroll all the way to the bottom. I've got Sky + set up to record it.

sandywilson 13 Aug 2007

Two thoughts:

1) Anybody from UKC planning to be in the vicinity of Hell's Lum or the Shelterstone on Saturday?

2) It would be a bit of a laugh if someone bagged the Dave McLeod line before Saturday.
In reply to sandywilson:
> (In reply to Mick Ryan - UKClimbing.com)>
> 2) It would be a bit of a laugh if someone bagged the Dave McLeod line before Saturday.

or just got there first with a large group of cub scouts and set up a top rope on it
 sandywilson 13 Aug 2007
>
> or just got there first with a large group of cub scouts and set up a top rope on it

Even funnier; you win!

In reply to Simon Caldwell: good suggestion, I'v just done so
richardelse 13 Aug 2007

Hi everyone. BBC Scotland are funding us for this but you can get it south of the border via a Sky Digital box - look for BBC 2 Scotland in the list of channels (towards the end of the many menu pages).

Richard Else,
Producer, Great Climb

PS VERY tense at base camp at the moment... and the weather's bad so watch to see what happens...
 sandywilson 13 Aug 2007
In reply to richardelse:

Good luck Richard; I hope the weather improves for you. Are you doing filming all week to build up a stockpile of footage or just on Saturday?
richardelse 13 Aug 2007
In reply to sandywilson:

Mainly concentrating on the big day but also trying to put something in the can earlier. Interesting flying conditions today - you'll see behind the scenes shortly.

Richard.
 Duncan Irving 13 Aug 2007

Grrr - there goes my long-planned trip in to Loch A'an this weekend with this circus setting up camp there. Looks like the weather's not going to be playing ball anyway which would be a shame for all those involved with the climbing especially on the "half-century old test piece" that is Citadel!

Good luck with the new-routing on Hell's Lum and don't forget to tidy up after yourselves.

DannyC 14 Aug 2007

That's a bloody impressive website. Am I just getting confused or is the route DMcL's trying the one he said has potential round fall = death? I know it looks unlikely with the weather etc that it'll get done but I'm surprised the Beeb would want to show this with the potential hoo-ha if god forbid something did go wrong. I'm not criticising them - in fact, I think there's nothing wrong with showing it at all - I'm just surprised.
Hope this makes sense and I ain't just got the wrong end of the stick.

Good luck with it,
Danny.
Wingman 14 Aug 2007

If I understand it correctly you can watch it over the internet?

And also it says something about using BBCi (press the red button) - is that just in scotland to?
 orge 14 Aug 2007
In reply to DannyC:
Isn't there usually a short delay in live broadcasts?

J
OP Michael Ryan 14 Aug 2007
In reply to Wingman:
> (In reply to Mick Ryan - UKClimbing.com)
>
> If I understand it correctly you can watch it over the internet?

Yes.
 francois 14 Aug 2007
The description of Citadel is quite interesting, they make it sound pretty hard. Anyone cares to comment, as I was thinking of doing it in the next few weeks. What does " a classic Cairngorm climb with all it implies" imply? I only ever climbed there in winter...
 Erik B 14 Aug 2007
In reply to richardelse: cairngorm weather forecast looks fine for the weekend, good luck with everything
 Doug 14 Aug 2007
In reply to francois: I suspect it means vegetation & loose rock but I've never climbed the route. Nearby Needle is pretty solid & clean though, wonder why they didn't choose that instead ?

Anyone else wondering why the BBC are continueing their tradition of having a woman who is clearly a much weaker climber as part of the day ? they've done the same ever since the days of Gogarth, surely they could find a few woman climbers quite capable of climbing a route such as Citadel in the UK, rather than needing to go to Catalunya or getting someone who's hardly climbed from the local council ?
 Wee Davie 14 Aug 2007
In reply to Doug:

Citadel is not a good choice IMO. At least half of it is loose and grassy and the rock pitches above that were soaking. We sacked it and abbed off a couple of summers ago, maybe we were unlucky with the conditions but I won't be makig a bee- line to go back on it...
This production company made an excellent job of the Edge series so fingers crossed this is as enjoyable.

Davie

mlt 14 Aug 2007

You to can live vicariously through the 'extreme' achievements of other climbers... LIVE! in REAL-TIME! through your TV screen!

What comes next? plastic replicas of 'extreme' climbers on famous boulders that you can play with?
 BelleVedere 15 Aug 2007

If you havn't already its worth checking out the archive clips on the website - http://www.bbc.co.uk/scotland/greatclimb/archive1.shtml

Wingman 15 Aug 2007

just to clarify for some people.

You can watch it south of the border - except it is only an hour 10mins. (BBC2 at 17.25)

(I know it seems like stating the obivous but having read some of the replies on here it seems that some people think you wont be able to watch it at all.)
 Dave Garnett 15 Aug 2007
In reply to JonC:

Yes, at least one of the participants is seriously concerned about this. Let's say that most of his climbing has been done in warmer, drier conditions!

sutty 15 Aug 2007
In reply to Dave Garnett:

No excuses after what this team have been doing things in;

http://hardrockchallenge.blogspot.com/search?updated-max=2007-08-09T07%3A18...

I doubt they have done 20% of the routes in the dry.
 tony 15 Aug 2007
In reply to es:

Cubby and Lynn Hill on Pabbay - excellent stuff!
 BelleVedere 15 Aug 2007
In reply to tony:

Yeah - he looks to be enjoying that massage

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...