UKC

NEWS: First Ascent of Hard Cheese (E10 7a) for Craig Matheson

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 UKC News 11 Nov 2021

Craig Matheson has made the first ascent of Hard Cheese (E10 7a) at Bright Beck Crag, Langdale. The route has been tried in the past by the likes of John Dunne but the overhanging groove held out until May when Craig made the first ascent.

Read more

Michael Gordon 11 Nov 2021
In reply to UKC News:

Good write-up and a stonking line! Interesting about the runner; I suspect many would've left a quickdraw on it if they'd already accepted having to have the gear in-situ.

Chris_Mellor 11 Nov 2021
In reply to Michael Gordon:

Jesus H. Christ. The human fly doesn't even begin to describe what's going on here. I shake my head and return to thinking about getting up the next 6a at Westway, which now has holds on it the comparative size of barn doors. Whatever Craig Matheson is on I'd like a taste of it

Post edited at 18:08
 Franco Cookson 11 Nov 2021
In reply to UKC News:

Absolutely stunning - both the line and his ability to climb it. Must be one of the hardest Trad lines in the world. 

Mick Ward 11 Nov 2021
In reply to UKC News:

Utterly amazing. The future has landed!

Mick 

Allovesclimbin 11 Nov 2021
In reply to UKC News:

Another fantastic trad first. It’s great to see so many hard trad climbs being done in the lakes at a standard most of us can only dream of. 

SuperstarDJ 11 Nov 2021
In reply to UKC News:

Great write up and great effort. Well done!

fotoVUE 11 Nov 2021
In reply to UKC News:

incredible

In reply to Franco Cookson:

Have you had a play on it Franco?

justdoit 11 Nov 2021
In reply to UKC News:

really enjoyed the write up, good effort Craig 

Andy Farnell 11 Nov 2021
In reply to UKC News:

If it's 8c and very serious fall potential then few would quibble if Craig had gone for E11

Fabulous effort

Andy F

Franco Cookson 11 Nov 2021
In reply to VSisjustascramble:

No, abed down it years ago but couldn't get into it. Phenomenal line and really blank, with a very hard landing too. It looked nails and pretty serious. 

I'm so pleased Craig's done it. Such an awesome effort and really unlike anything else in the UK. 

biscuit 12 Nov 2021
In reply to UKC News:

Top work Craig. Off the scale! 

LukeDclimber 12 Nov 2021
In reply to UKC News:

Awesome write up. Love reading about the minutiae of what it takes to climb hard Trad routes.

Out of curiosity (perhaps I missed the explanation in the article), if the RP is so poor, so near the top and the only gear, why use it at all? Why not just climb the route as a high-ball boulder?

Michael Gordon 12 Nov 2021
In reply to LukeDclimber:

He says he opted for a hybrid approach. So for most of it the pads were the protection (which of course doesn't make it 'safe'), but if there's a chance the RP is going to hold then presumably he'd rather have it than not have it.

GrahamD 12 Nov 2021
In reply to UKC News:

Loved reading that !  did I miss it or was there no mention of the route length ?

Adam Lincoln 12 Nov 2021
In reply to Andy Farnell:

> If it's 8c and very serious fall potential then few would quibble if Craig had gone for E11

> Fabulous effort

> Andy F

Either Lexion is graded wrong or this is. If Lexion IS E11 then this HAS to be E12. Though according to Birkett, E10 has to be certain death.

Sean Kelly 12 Nov 2021
In reply to UKC News:

With clipping the runner, what happened to the old method of quickdraw gripped between the teeth?

BTW great effort!

DMOB 12 Nov 2021
In reply to UKC News:

That was a really good read, a window into the attention to detail required to make this sort of route doable and a hint at the training approach that underpins these efforts.

Andy Farnell 12 Nov 2021
In reply to Adam Lincoln:

> Either Lexion is graded wrong or this is. If Lexion IS E11 then this HAS to be E12. Though according to Birkett, E10 has to be certain death.

Why can't they both be E11? One soft (Lexicon), one hard (Hard Cheese)

Andy F

Adam Lincoln 12 Nov 2021
In reply to Andy Farnell:

> Why can't they both be E11? One soft (Lexicon), one hard (Hard Cheese)

> Andy F

Maybe…

PaulJepson 12 Nov 2021
In reply to Adam Lincoln:

I don't think we can presume that the fall on Lexicon is safe just because it happened to be the one time it happened. 

Ramblin dave 12 Nov 2021
In reply to UKC News:

Awesome stuff!

Although I'm waiting for it to come out that he ate an out-of-date Twix that had been stashed at the crag by Dave Birkett or something.

Removed User 12 Nov 2021
In reply to Ramblin dave:

Or why highballs are given trad grades...

Adam Lincoln 12 Nov 2021
In reply to PaulJepson:

> I don't think we can presume that the fall on Lexicon is safe just because it happened to be the one time it happened. 

Why? Its been tested… Bar gear failing (unlikely) or an upside down fall and banging head.

Cusco 12 Nov 2021
In reply to Sean Kelly:

The runner is just below the top so you'd have to climb nearly the whole route with the draw between your teeth?

Sean Kelly 12 Nov 2021
In reply to Cusco:

Best not to scream then during the hairy ascent!

Martin Dale 15 Nov 2021

Think you'll find that if you fell off at the top, or near the top you'd miss the mats! There is a good ledge below the corner but it's not that wide!

Martin Dale 15 Nov 2021

Think you'll find that if you fell off at the top, or near the top you'd miss the mats! There is a good ledge below the corner but it's not that wide!

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...