UKC

NEWSFLASH: Jasmin Paris completes the 2024 Barkley Marathons

Please Register as a New User in order to reply to this topic.
 UKC/UKH News 22 Mar 2024

Jasmin Paris has successfully completed the infamous Barkley Marathons, and in doing so has become the first woman to successfully complete all five loops.

Read more

Denning76 22 Mar 2024
In reply to UKC/UKH News:

It will be hard to find a more impressive sporting performance all year. Cracking job.

65 22 Mar 2024

Ha, I'll bet your finger was hovering over the button for that one! 

Brilliant news.

Huge Mexican waves of "I'm not worthy" in Jasmin's direction.

In reply to 65:

> Ha, I'll bet your finger was hovering over the button for that one! 

Only now can my heart rate go back to a normal level. I'm not sure how I'm going to sleep tonight at the rate its currently going at...

greg_may_ 22 Mar 2024

Go for a run, a really really long, hilly run through mostly brambles  

net 22 Mar 2024

Utterly amazing! She's totally nails. Speaking of nails I now have none that was so tense. 

Andypeak 22 Mar 2024

Well done. What an athlete!

McHeath 22 Mar 2024

Sorry Rob, this reads like half an article; no mention of the absolutely nail-biting final minutes - will she, won’t she? Or of her finishing time, only 1 1/2 minutes before the 60 hour cut-off, when we‘d all but given up hope (the redeeming tweet came 2 min after the cutoff time), or of Jasmin‘s previous history in the race. Or indeed of the other finishers, above all of Ihor, running his first Barkley ever and actually winning, or of Damian Hall‘s tragedy (getting lost on his lonesome final round) … this has been the most historic Barkley ever (first woman to finish! Record breaking 5 finishers! First virgin winner!) and I think it deserved a full report, even if Jasmin was  the sensation and the main event.

Absolutely magnificent achievement by Jasmin; I wouldn’t be surprised if she‘s in there with a good chance of winning next year.

Post edited at 22:19
 remus Global Crag Moderator 22 Mar 2024
In reply to McHeath:

It only finished a few minutes ago, I'm sure a more thorough write up is incoming.

Dave Todd 22 Mar 2024
In reply to remus:

> It only finished a few minutes ago, I'm sure a more thorough write up is incoming.

Full story of Rob's 'half write up' here...

https://www.ukclimbing.com/forums/running/barkley_marathons_2024-769247?v=1...

McHeath 22 Mar 2024
In reply to remus:

Thing is, Rob told us himself in the Barkleys thread that he’d written the article earlier today, well before Jasmin came in; it accidentally got put up during the day and then removed again. I‘d have preferred a very short newsflash with the main news and an announcement that the full report would follow. I really enjoyed reading what he‘d written, but was surprised and disappointed when the article just seemed to stop abruptly in mid flow.

In reply to McHeath:

Whilst I think your criticism is perhaps a little on the harsh side, I do agree with the sentiment, as what I wrote is indeed half way between a barebones newsflash and a more fleshed out news report. 

I’d love to have written more, and no doubt will, but there was a certain time pressure - hence why I wrote it earlier in the day. If I had more time, I’d have written more, but in between various meetings,  putting my kids to bed and spending time with my wife - I didn’t.

One thing I don’t have any regrets on is focussing on Jasmin, because she is (rightly or wrongly) the story. That isn’t an attempt to detract from the other finishers, it’s just to say that what Jasmin did - and the reason we’re all commenting on it - is because something truly exceptional occurred.

Going to sleep last night it was that I was in awe of - the depth and magnitude of her achievements. The Barkley Marathons are yet another that just leaves me with my mouth wide open, much like her groundbreaking Spine Race in 2019. They seem to suspend disbelief, like superhuman efforts, although this contradicts how human Jasmin always comes across in interviews. She’s modest, down to earth, and lives a relatively normal life with a full time job and a family. These are factors that make the legend of Jasmin all the more legendary.

It is because of this I knew that when the clock was ticking down into those final few minutes, that if anyone could do it - Jasmin could. She just has something else that the the vast majority of the human race doesn’t. A level of ‘try hard’ I find hard to comprehend.

I would usually bandy around a term like ‘the greatest of all time’ but I know that Jasmin would hate it; however, there is no denying the groundbreaking place she has within the history of fell and ultra distance running. 

BusyLizzie 23 Mar 2024
In reply to Rob Greenwood - UKClimbing:

Great to have the article, and we look forward more when you can.

simes303 23 Mar 2024

This is truly outstanding. Absolutely amazing. 

Denislejeune 23 Mar 2024

Well, that's impressive. That race is level 7 on my hell scale.

simoninger 23 Mar 2024
In reply to Denislejeune:

Type 7 fun? Yep.

Sean Kelly 23 Mar 2024
In reply to Dave Todd:

> Now on BBC News front page...

I think that picture says it all really. Less than a 100 seconds to cut off time! Tremendous achievement. Well done Jasmin!

Post edited at 16:47
 Pedro50 23 Mar 2024
In reply to Sean Kelly:

Made the headline news on R4 P.M

George Ormerod 23 Mar 2024
In reply to Denislejeune:

> Well, that's impressive. That race is level 7 on my hell scale.

What would get it to a 10? Chased by bears? Hunted Deliverance style?

Lhod 23 Mar 2024
In reply to George Ormerod:

> What would get it to a 10? Chased by bears? Hunted Deliverance style?

7 out of 7 circles of Hell? 

Pedro50 23 Mar 2024
In reply to Lhod:

Isn't the first circle the worst?

In reply to George Ormerod:

> What would get it to a 10?

With so many finishers this time, we may get to find out next year!

Andypeak 23 Mar 2024
In reply to Stuart Williams:

People said that about this year with 3 finishing last year

mondite 23 Mar 2024
In reply to Andypeak:

> People said that about this year with 3 finishing last year

Since I assume they do need some insurance cover I suspect Cantrell will be running out of ideas after the insurance company politely declines to cover a course planted with landmines even if its just a couple.

Shortshorts 24 Mar 2024
In reply to McHeath:

Aurelien Sanchez "won" last year on his first attempt, and Mark Williams also finished/"won" on his first attempt

McHeath 24 Mar 2024
In reply to Rob Greenwood - UKClimbing:

Sorry Rob, I overshot the mark a bit there, I was probably still full of adrenaline after those final 30 minutes. Thanks for the article, which I really enjoyed reading; I suppose I was just a bit disappointed that there wasn’t more of it!

McHeath 24 Mar 2024
In reply to Shortshorts:

True, thanks for the correction. I‘ll put it down to the adrenaline (see previous post!)

Southvillain 25 Mar 2024

youtube.com/watch?v=5eSEMFQx-NA&

The very definition of absolutely battered. Phenomenal achievement. And the clip of her and Jared Campbell, where he offers her the choice of direction on the last lap, shows the class and camaraderie of these athletes

youtube.com/watch?v=2IOY7nvnQTE&

mcquain2 25 Mar 2024

A stunning achievement and brilliant it also made the mainstream press and captured the enthusiasm of many.

Some notes that could be worth adding to any future article are around the why there is such limited reporting from the event, why there is no GPS track, and why even the date of the event is kept relatively secret until the last moment: it's all part of the arrangement of why the event is even allowed run. From John Kelly's blog:
"The agreement with the park states that the race has to come as close as possible to 80 total loops across all runners. The race goes off trail, where the public cannot normally go, through sensitive ecological areas, dangerous sections littered with old mining shafts and equipment, and places where poachers would love to have a nice beaten down path to follow. Around 20 years ago the race was nearly shut down by the Tennessee Department of Environment and Conservation and it took a resolution from the state legislature to ensure it could continue. This is also the reason why the course is kept secret."

In reply to McHeath:

> Sorry Rob, I overshot the mark a bit there, I was probably still full of adrenaline after those final 30 minutes. Thanks for the article, which I really enjoyed reading; I suppose I was just a bit disappointed that there wasn’t more of it!

No need to apologise

I'd much rather people provided forthright feedback than no feedback whatsoever. 

Post edited at 13:42
In reply to Southvillain:

Amazing clips of jasmin finishing/collapsing, looking absolutely done in

I would love to know how many minutes later it is that she is stood up chatting and smiling with the other finishers.

Dave Todd 25 Mar 2024
In reply to mountain.martin:

> Amazing clips of jasmin finishing/collapsing, looking absolutely done in

Jasmin pushing the 'That was easy!' button was a surreal moment...

(approx 1:10 into https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5eSEMFQx-NA& )

Post edited at 14:15

I’ve never heard of this event. Amazing performance.

65 25 Mar 2024
In reply to twentytwoangrymen:

> I’ve never heard of this event. Amazing performance.

Treat yourself and watch "The race that eats its young." 

john arran 26 Mar 2024
 ripper 26 Mar 2024

About to be on BBC1 news...

65 26 Mar 2024
In reply to john arran:

She doesn’t even have a functioning ACL in one knee!

Brass Nipples 26 Mar 2024

Should be a candidate for Sports Personality of the Year

Please Register as a New User in order to reply to this topic.
Loading Notifications...