UKC

NEWS: Jorgeson decks off Gaia and two solos of Meshuga!

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 Michael Ryan 20 Nov 2008
The rampage continues.

"After Gaia, I went and threw a rope down Meshuga for the second time. The friction was amazing, the wind was blowing hard, and I was all alone. So, I pulled the rope and sat at the base for a while, thinking about whether or not I wanted to go for it. Finally, I chalked up and started climbing, letting the moves force the commitment. It all felt solid and soon I was gleefully pulling the summit roofs with a big smile on my face. There were no crash pads at the base, and like Alex, I decided to eschew the rope as the top is quite easy. The whole experience was quite surreal, but rewarding. "

Read more at http://www.ukclimbing.com/news/older.html?month=11&year=2008#n45456
 Liam Copley 20 Nov 2008
In reply to Mick Ryan - UKClimbing.com: fakin ell, this is getting better and better!
 aln 20 Nov 2008
In reply to Mick Ryan - UKClimbing.com: If Jorgenson has soloed Meshuga after 2 top rope ascents surely this has to be one of the finest pieces of hard single pitch climbimg to date.
OP Michael Ryan 20 Nov 2008
In reply to aln:

Both Kevin Jorgeson and Alex Honnold soloed Meshuga. After top rope practice, with no pads.
 Chris Craggs Global Crag Moderator 20 Nov 2008
In reply to Mick Ryan - UKClimbing.com:

Amazing effort - again! I think these guys quite like the grit!

I always reckoned there were two things in UK climbing worth visiting from afar - grit and our sea-cliffs.

Chris
 Liam Copley 20 Nov 2008
In reply to aln: is this the hardest headpoint(ish) solo in trad terms?
 Silum 20 Nov 2008
In reply to Mick Ryan - UKClimbing.com: wow!!! Theirs just no stopping these guys...well Gaia i suppose
 Chris Craggs Global Crag Moderator 20 Nov 2008
In reply to Liam Copley:

I'm waiting for the first:

"How can Gaia possibly be Ebignumbers when you can fall off the crux with impunity"

Chris
 john howard 1 20 Nov 2008
In reply to Mick Ryan - UKClimbing.com: Amazing!Nice one Kevin and Alex, hope the weather is kind for your final week, keep doing what you're doing, best of luck.
 petestack 20 Nov 2008
In reply to Chris Craggs:

How can Gaia possibly be Ebignumbers when you can fall off the crux with impunity?
 James Oswald 20 Nov 2008
Impressive.
I wonder how long it will be until someone solos it onsight/flash? Or leads it for that matter.
 Oli 20 Nov 2008
In reply to Liam Copley: Ben Tetler on Knockin'? As as far as I know, he hadn't linked it before he went for the solo.
 aln 20 Nov 2008
In reply to Mick Ryan - UKClimbing.com: Two of them, wow. Stunning climbing. No pads. Even better. But then, TR, hm. Stunning climbing.
These guys are clearly fantastic climbers and are showing what's possible when you take skill, determination, bravery and talent around the world.
Removed User 20 Nov 2008
In reply to Oli: How hard's the top section of Meshuga, after the cam?
 Will Hunt 20 Nov 2008
In reply to james oswald:
I reckon an onsight of Meshuga is going to take some time. Obviously its possible, especially if you get a mate to put the tick marks on for you but without them some of those slaps are completely blind.

:-O
In reply to Mick Ryan - UKClimbing.com: amazing. effort lads.
 Paz 21 Nov 2008
In reply to Will Hunt:

How many pads do you think people would need before they think about the ground up is what crossed my mind? Onsighting it? Well yeah without your chalk that's just daft. After you survive the onsight solo of Master's Edge, this can be the one true Gritstone master's net challenge. These American's are very good, and very damned impressive, but unless you've got some serious beef and some seriously Ca Colle friction day (and a tail wind) that blind slap is still a blind slap.
 Chris Craggs Global Crag Moderator 21 Nov 2008
In reply to Paz:

And if you are aware that it requires a blind slap - is it on sight?

Ere we go, ere we go, ere we go!

Chris

Joking btw - no response required!
 Paz 21 Nov 2008

If your third eye, intuition and grasp of geometry (and on site inspection/reccee told you that) then yes. If someone else told you that, then...
 Oli 21 Nov 2008
In reply to Removed User: Possibly E3?
 Will Hunt 21 Nov 2008

Nooooooo!
Oh dear, nice one, Chris.
In reply to Paz:

Looks pretty obvious where to head for!

http://www.pbase.com/chris_craggs/image/77453901

Chris

PS Taken 18 months ago btw!!!!
 John_Hat 21 Nov 2008
In reply to Oli:

When I were a lad it were VS.....

And anyway, anyone who has seen hard grit can't claim the route as they have too much prior info. Even having the video in your house - or a friend's house - or their friend's house - well, you can't be too careful claiming an on-sight...
 aln 21 Nov 2008
In reply to Mick Ryan - UKClimbing.com: A question for Mick Ryan. Did Kevin Jorgeson fall off Gaia and hit the ground?
 Liam Copley 21 Nov 2008
In reply to John_Hat: also there is sufficent beta that crumbles the onsight just on the front cover..
 thomasadixon 21 Nov 2008
In reply to aln:

I'm not Mick, but if you read the report it says he landed on a pad.
 sutty 21 Nov 2008
In reply to thomasadixon:

Can you aim and hit a pad from 40ft up?

aint it great being young and fearless.

and pretty good as well.

aln 21 Nov 2008
In reply to thomasadixon: In the report it says there were no pads. It says "there were no crash pads at the base".
 Liam Copley 21 Nov 2008
In reply to aln: i think they are talking about Meshuga there..
 sutty 21 Nov 2008
In reply to Liam Copley:

BTW, for your information and eyes only,shhh.

Indian Face has not had an onsight ascent where the leader places all the gear on lead yet. go for it.
 aln 21 Nov 2008
In reply to Liam Copley: Did Kevin Jorgesen fall off Gaia?
 sutty 21 Nov 2008
In reply to aln:

stop asking daft questions and read the link, where all will be revealed/
 aln 21 Nov 2008
In reply to sutty: Link only started working just now. So, was it a roped padded ascent?
 aln 21 Nov 2008
In reply to Mick Ryan - UKClimbing.com: Oh yeah, crazy of me to think that reading "decks off Gaia" meant a nasty fall.
OP Michael Ryan 21 Nov 2008
In reply to aln:
> (In reply to Mick Ryan - UKClimbing.com) A question for Mick Ryan. Did Kevin Jorgeson fall off Gaia and hit the ground?

Dude - read the text, look at the photos.

http://www.ukclimbing.com/news/older.html?month=11&year=2008#n45456

Yes, fell off from near the top: hit a pad on the floor, fell almost the full length of the route. Gets up, brushes himself off, then completes Gaia.

Then he solos Meshuga, no pads, after two sessions checking the moves. Honnold had soloed Meshuga the day before.

Gobsmacking.

Jamie B 21 Nov 2008

Good photo; hadnt realised what a stunning line Meshuga is.

Once again I do find myself wondering what this disrespectful treatment of the big grit numbers tells you about how they stack up versus MacLeod and Birkett testpieces?
 andi turner 21 Nov 2008
In reply to Jamie B.:

They clearly don't have any Birkett or McCleod DVDs otherwise or I'm sure they'd be tearing them apart too.

I bet they can't wait to get home stick on Hard Grit and go "done it, done it, done it, done it, done it", anyone would think they don't have a guidebook!

Great effort indeed.
 g taylor 21 Nov 2008
In reply to andi turner:

> I bet they can't wait to get home stick on Hard Grit and go "done it, done it, done it, done it, done it", anyone would think they don't have a guidebook!
>
> Great effort indeed.

They dont have a guide book!
 g taylor 21 Nov 2008
> (In reply to Liam Copley)
>
> I'm waiting for the first:
>
> "How can Gaia possibly be Ebignumbers when you can fall off the crux with impunity"
>
>
> Chris

The answer would be pretty simple to that one, if he had landed the other way round when he swung back in towards the arete he would of taken the full impact on his face, which probably wouldn't have been good considering how much he said his heels hurt.

Kevin Jorgeson soloing Feeding Frenzy 8b at Rumney, New Hampshire.

http://climbingnarc.com/2008/06/video-of-kevin-jorgeson-bouldering-feeding-...

And soloing The Fly also at Rumney, New Hampshire.... 9a or 5.14d/V14

http://climbingnarc.com/2008/06/kevin-jorgeson-bouldering-the-fly-video
Profanisaurus Rex 21 Nov 2008
> (In reply to Liam Copley)
>
> I'm waiting for the first:
>
> "How can Gaia possibly be Ebignumbers when you can fall off the crux with impunity"

I thought the consensus was that the existence of a DVD precludes an ansight attempt ever again? Unless done by visitors from another planet within 24 hours of their arrival on earth, and accompanied by a sworn affidavit from their mum that little Zar'Arghon had never watched any climbing vids...

;oP

and Flight of the Bumblebee at the Beehive Area, Buttermilk Country:

http://climbingnarc.com/2008/01/flight-of-the-bumble-bee-v7-highball-videos
 Fraser 21 Nov 2008

Great sequence of stills on that first clip. I particularly like the shot at about 1:25...what peak is that in the background?
In reply to Fraser:
> (In reply to Mick Ryan - UKClimbing.com)
>
> Great sequence of stills on that first clip. I particularly like the shot at about 1:25...what peak is that in the background?

Mount Tom 13,652 feet (4,161 metres).... part of the Sierra crest. Prior to that is Mount Humphrey's 13986 ft / 4263 m.

Buttermilk's is at around 6,000 feet

ScottMackenzie 21 Nov 2008

Well impressive!
Onsight solo of "The File" would top their trip off! The ultimate grit test piece!
 Reach>Talent 21 Nov 2008
In reply to Scott_M@c:
I'm waiting for one of them to try clippity clop, clippity clop, clippity clop or what ever it is called at ramshaw. Now that would be an impressive on sight attempt.
 JLS 21 Nov 2008

>"Jorgeson decks off Gaia and two solos of Meshuga!"

I think "decks" is rather over stating the big fall. A headline containing the word "decks" suggests the rope offered him little in the way of assistance. I suspect he'd not have been up for a solo of Meshuga later in the day had the rope not caught his fall from Gaia.

Anyway, dodgey reporting aside, sounds like the lad did good.
Ackbar 21 Nov 2008
In reply to JLS: Agreed. He did not Deck on Gaia! It looks like a nasty fall and really close to decking but if he had decked he would not have got up from it. Look at the photos on his blog.

> I think "decks" is rather over stating the big fall.

What an I thinking JLS? Please excuse me for my shoddy reporting!

Jorgeson falls off the last moves of Gaia, rope comes tight due to excellent belaying but he still hits the floor (the deck), crashing into a bouldering matt that his belayer Alex Honnold had moved into position after Kevin had started climbing...........and two solos of Meshuga!

Jeez! No wonder we get a little de-motivated with some forum comments.

I wonder if we will ever hear, "Hey Jack and Mick ... thanks for staying up late and getting these news reports sorted!"

Anyway -

Gaia 1986
End of the Affair 1986
New Statesman 1987
Parthian 1989
Meshuga 1997

... its all right these guys ticking classics, when are they going to try some modern test-pieces?

Chris

chris_j_s 21 Nov 2008

Hey Jack and Mick ... thanks for staying up late and getting these news reports sorted!

...You could at least get it right though!!!

richard kirby 21 Nov 2008
>
>
> Anyway -

>
> ... its all right these guys ticking classics, when are they going to try some modern test-pieces?
>

The Promise?

Are there really that many left since the halcyon grit days. The Groove, Harder Faster and equilibrium I guess.

Forecast looks good for HG routes today & tomoz - be good to see some non-Peak grit action.

Widdop Wall is crying out to be done. Has High Fidelity been done ground up yet?

JLS 21 Nov 2008

Sorry Mick, I didn't realise my definition of decking was so out of step with the mainstream. Keep up the good work. :¬)
 sutty 21 Nov 2008
In reply to g taylor:

Are they visiting Wimberry, a couple of nice routes there to do?

Nice profile of yours BTW
 niggle 21 Nov 2008
In reply to richard kirby:

> Are there really that many left since the halcyon grit days.

Wizard ridge?
 niggle 21 Nov 2008
In reply to sutty:

> Are they visiting Wimberry, a couple of nice routes there to do?

The thing that the Grit List describes as "Wall right of MaDMAn: Solo. Slopers, pebbles, exposure, death!"?

Sounds irresistable!
 GrahamD 21 Nov 2008
In reply to richard kirby:

Widdop Wall is undoubtedly the biggest tick out there - anyone care to hazard what grade it will settle at ?
 Lemony 21 Nov 2008
In reply to GrahamD: Frankly climbing anything at Widdop this time of year warrants an extra couple of grades to account for the difficulty of cleaning every hold on the way up.
mph 21 Nov 2008
In reply to Lemony: I met Kevin Jorgeson and friends in Bishop last november. He had just soloed a stunning new line on one of the peabodies invoving what he quoted as feeling like mid - high 5.12 friction moves about 50-60 feet off the deck....I remember having a conversation with him about the gritstone and the grading and I tried to offer him some sort of comparison (as best I could) with what he´d just done versus grit grades. It was an interesting conversation because it became clear to me that this group of guys have started climbing with a bouldering mentality then pushed this to significant and very bold high ball ascents which are still given bouldering grades stateside but would get high E numbers on the grit....I think their mentality is such more looking at things from a boulderers perspective rather than a route climber perspective. Couple this with a buttermilks apprenticeship and the result is that soloing high of the ground at a high difficulty level is their forte....I´m not surprised at all that they are eating the grit for breakfast....I think folk should watch very closely the groundbreaking stuff that´s happening around Bishop under the guise of bouldering but actually far beyond it...
In reply to mph:
> (In reply to Lemony) I...I think folk should watch very closely the groundbreaking stuff that´s happening around Bishop under the guise of bouldering but actually far beyond it...

Spot on mph.

Apr 26: E-grades for American Highball Boulder Problems

http://www.ukclimbing.com/news/older.html?month=04&year=2007#n36307

GDes 21 Nov 2008
> Jeez! No wonder we get a little de-motivated with some forum comments.
>
> I wonder if we will ever hear, "Hey Jack and Mick ... thanks for staying up late and getting these news reports sorted!"

Mick, you make it sound like you're doing this on a voluntary basis or something. I'm fairly sure there's something in it for you! Do you think my pupils thank me for staying up late planning lessons?! It's your bloody business! You make money off people coming on this website!

SI A 21 Nov 2008

Has anyone pointed them at The Groove yet?
 Oli 21 Nov 2008
In reply to SI A: It was chalked up on Tuesday.
 Wee Davie 21 Nov 2008
In reply to GDes:

If Mick starts offering enticements like free stuff he'd see plenty of gratification coming their way, as per the climbing mags approach.
How many times have we seen the 'I love your mag' win letter of the month and a rope?

Anyway, I love UKC. It's the best and I think Mick should get a knighthood.

thustler 21 Nov 2008
In reply to Mick Ryan - UKClimbing.com: When they coming to Baildon bank?
klk 21 Nov 2008

Who was belaying? Decent catch.

One step slower and we have a very different headline.
 g taylor 22 Nov 2008
In reply to klk: Honnold
jonna 22 Nov 2008

Can it really honestly be a true onsight if;

a) you know the route exists.
b) know where the route is.
c) you then climb it with your eyes open.

i think the answers are clear

jonna
 petestack 22 Nov 2008
In reply to jonna:
> Can it really honestly be a true onsight if;
> c) you then climb it with your eyes open.

Of course! Because it'd have to be an 'on-feel' if you climbed it with your eyes shut...
 aln 23 Nov 2008
> [...]
>
> [...]
>
> >
> Jorgeson falls off the last moves of Gaia, rope comes tight due to excellent belaying but he still hits the floor (the deck), crashing into a bouldering matt that his belayer Alex Honnold had moved into position after Kevin had started climbing>
>

That's exactly what you should have said, that's what happened .

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...