UKC

NEWS: New Nose Speed Record by Honnold & Caldwell

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 UKC News 30 May 2018
Alex Honnold and Tommy Caldwell have knocked almost ten minutes off the previous speed record for climbing The Nose on El Capitan in Yosemite National Park. The pair completed the route and stopped the clock after just 2 hours, 10 minutes and 15 seconds (2:10:15), breaking Brad Gobright and Jim Reynolds' record of 2:19:44 from October 2017.

Read more
 CaelanB 30 May 2018
In reply to UKC News:

Given that these guys are still shaving time off the previous record in 10 minute increments, you can only wonder when we'll see the first sub 2 hour ascent of the nose. 

This might be assuming too much, but I doubt for either of honnold/caldwell that the nose speed record was a long term goal for them. I'd imagine (particularly for honnold, given the jokey rivalry he has with brad gobright) that this was a goal they set in response to the previous record being set which was under a year ago. I'd be interested to see what would happen if these individuals were to train specifically for the nose record (at the exclusion of most other things) for an extended period to see if they could make a dent in 2 hours. Though, given how well rounded they are as climbers I wouldn't be too surprised if this didn't appeal to them.

It's truly incredible that humans can perform at this level! Which will happen first: sub 2 hour Nose or Marathon? :P

Post edited at 23:12
 GrahamD 30 May 2018
In reply to CaelanB:

It's climbing, Jim, but not as I know it.

In reply to UKC News:

I'd be pleased to do 3 pitches in 2:10, let alone 31...

ChrisBrooke 30 May 2018
In reply to purplemonkeyelephant:

I’ve seen people taking longer on The Peapod at Curbar....

Andy Hardy 31 May 2018
In reply to UKC News:

"!You need to accept marketing cookies to view this content - Change Consent"

A bit annoying in a "news" item. :-/

jwi 31 May 2018
In reply to CaelanB:

> It's truly incredible that humans can perform at this level! Which will happen first: sub 2 hour Nose or Marathon? :P

The sub 2 hour Nose is a great deal easier.  https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Marathon_world_record_progression#Men

Michael Gordon 31 May 2018
In reply to jwi:

Can anyone explain the last few entries in the women's section? Seems to me that the 2003 record is THE one since that's the fastest time; it shouldn't matter who else is in the race.

lithos 31 May 2018
In reply to Michael Gordon:

could the men be seen to be pacing ?

In reply to lithos:

Quite likely. Does that matter?

Pedro50 31 May 2018

> Can anyone explain the last few entries in the women's section? Seems to me that the 2003 record is THE one since that's the fastest time; it shouldn't matter who else is in the race.

She was paced to the finish by men faster than her. No man exists who can pace another man to 2.03. 

In reply to Pedro50:

Surely by running short sections a few men could pace another man? (but I presume this isn't allowed?)

The New NickB 31 May 2018

> Surely by running short sections a few men could pace another man? (but I presume this isn't allowed?)

That is basically what they did in the Nike Sub2 race, fastest marathon ever run, but for various reasons  doesn't count as a WR record. 

In reply to The New NickB:

So did someone go below 2hrs in that one (or was that just the name of it)?

It's kind of weird how something can be the fastest but not be the world record. Paradoxically, despite it's generally non-competitive nature and the added complexity of different components making up 'style' in mountaineering, the true records seem to be recognised as such more often than in normal competitive events!

Pedro50 31 May 2018

Eliud Kipchoge completed Nike's Breaking2 run in Monza on May 6 in 2:00:25. Close but no cigar. 

Removed User 31 May 2018
In reply to Pedro50:

How the fcuk is that not the WR. Running is simple and the dude ran it fastest. It's like saying the Nose record don't count if you are simulclimbing.

snoop6060 31 May 2018
In reply to Andy Hardy:

> "!You need to accept marketing cookies to view this content - Change Consent"

> A bit annoying in a "news" item. :-/

News, reviews, best product in category x ( from our sponsors). It's all the same shit. 

Post edited at 22:36
 The New NickB 31 May 2018
In reply to Removed User:

WR have to be set in line with rules set by the governing body, the footwear and pacing strategy were outside of those rules.

However, nobody would seriously doubt that  Kipchoge is the best marathon runner that ever lived.

Post edited at 23:15
 aln 01 Jun 2018

> However, nobody would seriously doubt that  Kipchoge is the best marathon runner that ever lived.

I would. 

Michael Gordon 01 Jun 2018

What about the original guy? I thought he made quite a good job of it.

Jon Greengrass 01 Jun 2018

I would guess that it is not a WR for the same reason that cyclists aren't allowed  motorbike pacing on hour record attempts. 

Removed User 01 Jun 2018
In reply to Jon Greengrass:

Slipstreaming? Even at that speed?

Chris the Tall 01 Jun 2018

At first I thought you were referring to climbers slipstreaming up the Nose !

Presume there has to be both a physical and psychological benefit in using a pacer in running. Even at 13 mph on a bike you still get a benefit 

The New NickB 01 Jun 2018

> What about the original guy? I thought he made quite a good job of it.

Who?

The New NickB 01 Jun 2018
In reply to aln:

> I would. 

Hello nobody!

Michael Gordon 01 Jun 2018

Sorry, I was being silly. I meant Pheidippides

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...