UKC

NEWS: New Statesman and Ulysses - Visiting Americans

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 Jack Geldard 20 Oct 2008
Americans Matt Segal, Alex Honnold and Kevin Jorgeson are stomping their way through several hard Grit test-pieces, including Honnold flashing Ulysses (E6 6b) at Stanage and Jorgeson making a very fast headpoint of The New Statesman (E8 7a) at Ilkley, Yorkshire.

Read More: http://www.ukclimbing.com/news/older.html?month=10&year=2008#n45389
 Liam Copley 20 Oct 2008
In reply to Jack Geldard - Editor - UKC: i would of thought that people dont see E6 onsight as bieng..well.. news worthy nowadays due to E8's bieng onsighted. Anyway.."yeah thats pretty good"
 TobyA 20 Oct 2008
In reply to Jack Geldard - Editor - UKC: So it was Ulysses?! Excellent. Well done Mr Honnold. He's a crazy bugger but clearly a talented one at that.

How often has Ulysses been onsighted or flashed? Do I remember read some Pole did it once? Presumably this is too common an event?
 popebenedictus 20 Oct 2008
In reply to Liam Copley:
> (In reply to Jack Geldard - Editor - UKC) i would of thought that people dont see E6 onsight as bieng..well.. news worthy nowadays due to E8's bieng onsighted. Anyway.."yeah thats pretty good"

I would say that it is an impressive achievement.
 Enty 20 Oct 2008
In reply to Liam Copley:

I'd rather have an E6 grit onsight in my logbook than an E7 headpoint.

The Ent
 Tyler 20 Oct 2008
In reply to Liam Copley:

> i would of thought that people dont see E6 onsight as bieng..well.. news worthy nowadays due to E8's bieng onsighted.

By itself no (this particular route was onsighted by Johnny Dawes in 80's and Neil Foster, once of this parish, has his own tale to tell I think), plus we don't know how many mats were in use. However, its always news when foreign wads come over to the UK, it doesn't happen often enough and it helps to put UK routes on grit into a world context something that is often discussed here. So, the more of this type of news the better I'd say.
 Chris F 20 Oct 2008
In reply to Tyler: Plus the fact that he doesn't have gritstone in his bloodstream, and grit being a funny thing to get your head around, it is definitely a good effort.
 James Oswald 20 Oct 2008
In reply to Jack Geldard - Editor - UKC:
Awesome
In reply to Liam Copley: What Tyler said!
 matt pigden 21 Oct 2008
In reply to Tyler: The Dawes soloed it (Ulysses) without mats the day after Moffatt's first ascent in Fire's I believe.
 Graham Hoey 23 Oct 2008
In reply to Tyler:
Spot on. Mats and spotters reduce Ulysees to a highball boulder problem, not an E6.
E6's on grit were onsighted without mats, spotters etc in the 1980s.
Graham

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...