UKC

PRODUCT NEWS: The Crux Expedition Award - 2018

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 UKC Gear 03 Jan 2018
The North Face of Cholatse in the Khumbu - the right kind of objective., 3 kbThe Crux Expedition Award is an annual grant. First awarded in 2017, this is the second year it will be awarded. It is an exciting opportunity for today's young climbers to win £500 in cash and £2000 worth of crux equipment for use on an outstanding mountaineering objective.

Read more
In reply to UKC Gear:

I've not received many application yet... would be great to have a few more to look at.

Tom

(with his Crux hat on) 

Wft 16 Jan 2018
In reply to Tom Ripley Mountain Guide:

I suppose it's gunna have to be you then Tom, good luck

In reply to Wood for Trees:

It's worse than that Guy, it'll probably be Livingstone...

galpinos 16 Jan 2018

Is there any info on who got it last year and what they did with it?

In reply to galpinos:

Tim Oliver and Alex Mathie won it. They use the money to sit in a tent on a glacier in Alaska, in a storm.

Mr. Lee 16 Jan 2018

Maybe you need to increase the upper age limit by ten years if you want to get some more applicants  

tjoliver 16 Jan 2018

Good times

I hope whoever wins it this year has some better luck. It's a great award that really helped make our trip happen, even if the end result wasn't what we were hoping for.

alexm198 22 Jan 2018

A cruel and bitter learning experience! But, I agree fully with Tim -- Crux's support really helped our expedition and best of luck to whoever wins this year's award!

JayPee630 22 Jan 2018
In reply to Mr. Lee:

I agree, I think the age limit is a bit odd. Anyone explain why it's there? And don't be coming with the age=less money. If that was a real concern it should be means tested to be fair!

profitofdoom 22 Jan 2018
In reply to UKC Gear:

CAN WE APPLY?

1. Your proposed objective must be adventurous. Ideally it will be in a remote location and involve an element of exploration ... no previous experience. 2. Your expedition must have a specific objective.

PITON ROUTE, AVON GORGE. VERY REMOTE FOR US, WE LIVE IN BUENOS AIRES

3. The expedition must not carry bolts or use fixed ropes (although capsule style is acceptable).

OK DONE

4. Although the level of difficulty does not need to be at the cutting edge, the objective must be challenging for your team.

PITON ROUTE IS VERY CHALLENGING FOR US

5. The members of the team must be predominately under 30. Please provide details of your team's mountaineering experience.

AVERAGE AGE 62 (CLOSE). PREVIOUS EXPERIENCE, SLEPT ON WINDY LEDGE FOR 3 NIGHTS IN IN 1982. TOPROPED PARACHUTE

6. There is no limit on the number of members, but we look more favourably on smaller teams climbing in alpine style.

OK. 35 IN TEAM BUT NO FIXED ROPES

7. The members must be predominately British or based in Britain.

1 MEXICAN 1 NATURALIZED KIWI

11. Please include an intended schedule/itinerary, as well as your budget.

8 JUNE CAMP AT AVON. 11 JUNE CLIMB PITON ROUTE FOLLOWED BY SLAP-UP MEAL IN BRISTOL CENTRE. BUDGET 2000 QUID

Tom Last 22 Jan 2018
In reply to profitofdoom:

Sound like you're a shoo-in mate! 

profitofdoom 22 Jan 2018
In reply to Tom Last:

> Sound like you're a shoo-in mate! 

I know! We are all very excited and I have been up all night packing and repacking my bags

Tom Last 22 Jan 2018

If you wait until they close The Portway, you'll have to walk to the base - even more remote, see.

Baffin - Queen Maud Land - Avon

profitofdoom 22 Jan 2018
In reply to Tom Last:

> If you wait until they close The Portway, you'll have to walk to the base - even more remote, see.

Walk in to Avon no way that is terrible it is 2 miles from the City Centre

My team mates are now leaning towards a helicopter in. That or Sherpas

d_b 23 Jan 2018

If you approach across the downs it is even worse.  An exposed high plateau that has to be crossed in daylight lest you run into packs of wild doggers.  Terrifying!

Tom Green 31 Jan 2018

APPLICATION SUBMITTED! 

Apologies for cutting it fine!

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...