UKC

CRAG NOTES: The Dewerstone

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 UKC Articles 22 Oct 2021
You can hardly blame Nick White, for his beloved South Devon & Dartmoor Guide is brimful of demons and goblins, but its pages did shape my expectations of The Dewerstone. The Devil's Rock, Raven Buttress and route names like 'Leviathan', all gave it a certain foreboding. The crag name...

Read more

Slarti B 22 Oct 2021
In reply to UKC Articles:

A beautiful place with some lovely climbs, has a real "middle earth" feel to it.

We stopped off there on the way to Cornwall  on my third ever trad trip; we didn't have a guide book but someone suggested I try leading what turned out to be Central Groove.  I had only led 5 or 6 single pitch climbs before and wasn't confident about doing a multi pitch-belay so I led it in 1 pitch on a single rope.  Luckily it was a 75 metre rope so was long enough but, at the top I could barely move because of the drag.  Was worth it for the lovely view over the forest though. 

PaulJepson 22 Oct 2021

I disagree about CC Ordinary; an absolutely fantastic climb. Also, wasn't it one of if not the first thing climbed there? CR is about the history as well, you know!

I've only been once and climbed Leviathan, Central Groove and CC Ordinary and thought the latter was the best. Amazing positions and climbing, even if the first pitch traverse feels a bit scrappy. 

Sean Kelly 22 Oct 2021
In reply to PaulJepson:

> I disagree about CC Ordinary; an absolutely fantastic climb. Also, wasn't it one of if not the first thing climbed there? CR is about the history as well, you know!

> I've only been once and climbed Leviathan, Central Groove and CC Ordinary and thought the latter was the best. Amazing positions and climbing, even if the first pitch traverse feels a bit scrappy. 

Sorry, but have to disagree, the former two climbs are far superior! The ticks from the logbooks will bear this out.

CG 2892 ascents, L 1508 ascents, and CCO 957 ascents.

Post edited at 19:07
 Dave Garnett 22 Oct 2021
In reply to PaulJepson:

> I disagree about CC Ordinary; an absolutely fantastic climb. Also, wasn't it one of if not the first thing climbed there? CR is about the history as well, you know!

I haven’t done it but just from the line it probably suffers in comparison with CC Direct, which is brilliant.

It is a great crag though, must get back down there, definitely a CR tick I’ve missed.

In reply to Dave Garnett:

CC Direct really is incredible isn't it?! It's been years since I did it, but the rose tinted time goggles remember it being a real outing, with that feisty crack to start, then a whole lot of line left to come afterwards.

Central Groove is an absolute classic and is (at least in my opinion) the one that should have gone into Classic Rock.

PaulJepson 22 Oct 2021
In reply to Sean Kelly:

Sorry, I forgot the measure of the quality of a route is how many people have logged it. 

The other two are undeniably great climbs and really strong lines, but do they have the blind swing out of the groove that cc ordinary has? Or the amazing questing on the second pitch? Totally wild.

Post edited at 20:37
 alan moore 23 Oct 2021

Great stuff! Stirs up some happy memories. Once had a great contrasting day walking to Cranmere Pool in the morning (navigating by compass on a clear, sunny day!), half a dozen routes among the oaks at Dewerstone in the afternoon followed by a summer sunset sunset and severe grade abuse on Hay Tor.

I think Central Groove is up there with Doorpost and Ardverikie Wall for best-in-the-grade. CC Ordinary was almost as good but much harder if I remember correctly...

Rog Wilko 23 Oct 2021
In reply to alan moore:

> I think Central Groove is up there with Doorpost and Ardverikie Wall for best-in-the-grade. CC Ordinary was almost as good but much harder if I remember correctly...

Agree with this. Now it’s been mentioned it makes me wonder why  IIRC it didn’t get a mention in a recent thread on omissions from CR.

Standing below it for the first time, for me it might as well have had “climb me” painted across it in 6 foot high letters.

PaulJepson 23 Oct 2021
In reply to Rog Wilko:

It is, unfortunately,  a bit polished,  always has about 6 cams stuck in it, and the belay block is bolted to the cliff. Quite samey from memory as well. It's bloody good but it just doesn't vary enough for me to better the likes of Doorpost or CCO. I don't remember any of the moves being that exciting in comparison to Leviathan or CCO either.

Is Fly on the wall near to that lot in terms of quality? 

BuzyG 26 Oct 2021

Great to see a Iocal crag being featured.  I love climbing at Dewerstone.  A great place to learn and improve multi pitch trad.  It is where I led my first climb on the come back trail just a few years ago. Can't wait to get back there.

Chris Craggs Global Crag Moderator 26 Oct 2021

Nice article and a lovely crag which it captures beautifully. I thought Climber's Club Direct one of the best crack climbs in the UK when I first did it many years ago on a trip inspired by Littlejohn's recently published South West Climbs (1979!)

Chris

Post edited at 08:28

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...