UKC

Wall Open Tomorrow?

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 Cobra_Head 21 Feb 2021

What are the chances we'll be able to go back to the wall before March 2021( just in case) ?

FactorXXX 22 Feb 2021
In reply to Cobra_Head:

> What are the chances we'll be able to go back to the wall before March 2021( just in case) ?

Hopefully zero as that is next week.

OP Cobra_Head 22 Feb 2021
In reply to FactorXXX:

> Hopefully zero as that is next week.

Boris, is laying out the road map tomorrow though, maybe the first thing he'll do is open climbing walls

In reply to Justsomeclimber:

> No chance whatsoever sadly. Reckon April at the earliest 

Sadly I think you might be right. I'm going to say after Easter.

I've heard of a few people I know, who know people, who've had the 1st jab and then went on to catch covid weeks after. I know it isn't 100% but they've been careful too so it's obviously still a big problem.

FactorXXX 22 Feb 2021
In reply to Cobra_Head:

> Boris, is laying out the road map tomorrow though, maybe the first thing he'll do is open climbing walls

July/August earliest for indoor gyms is my estimation.
That's assuming that the vaccine program goes to plan and there aren't any new strains that totally mess up the whole process.

Misha 22 Feb 2021
In reply to FactorXXX:

Current noise seems to be mid May for indoor hospitality so I think it will be mid to late May.

racodemisa 22 Feb 2021
In reply to Cobra_Head:

April/may imo. Main test will be Easter holidays to see if this becomes a super spreader event.With the vaccine program protecting the most vulnerable any suprise surges will hopefully not happen Hospital admissions remaining very low they can move to the next stage of lifting restrictions. Just guessing though.

Post edited at 03:17
 wbo2 22 Feb 2021
In reply to Cobra_Head: > I've heard of a few people I know, who know people, who've had the 1st jab and then went on to catch covid weeks after. I know it isn't 100% but they've been careful too so it's obviously still a big problem.

IF that were true then you'll likely be under some restrictions permanently. 

So be careful what dodgy rumours you spread. 

Jon Stewart 22 Feb 2021
In reply to wbo2:

My mate is very ill with covid after 1 jab (Pfizer) 4 weeks ago. No surprise, that's why we need 2 jabs! 

girlymonkey 22 Feb 2021
In reply to Jon Stewart:

It gives no protection for the first 2 weeks, then it gradually increases. He quite probably contracted it in this early stage.

Luke90 22 Feb 2021
In reply to wbo2:

> > I've heard of a few people I know, who know people, who've had the 1st jab and then went on to catch covid weeks after. I know it isn't 100% but they've been careful too so it's obviously still a big problem.

> IF that were true then you'll likely be under some restrictions permanently. 

> So be careful what dodgy rumours you spread. 

The "I know people who know people" aspect is obviously dodgy but the plausibility of the principle is hardly in question. There's never been any suggestion that a single jab could possibly confer 100% protection against catching Covid, even two jabs don't. There will inevitably be people catching it after their first jab. Small numbers, hopefully, but certainly not zero.

Spreading the idea that the first jab gives full immunity strikes me as more irresponsible than a realistic bit of caution about the level of protection.

wbo2 22 Feb 2021
In reply to Luke90: You'll note that the words 'it's obviously still a big problem' were used.  I agree with all of the above about the effectiveness of the vaccine, and how you can get a few outlier cases after vaccination, but if the perception is of a big problem then where do you go with society?  

Yes, I'm being deliberately pedantic and argumentative here, but words matter in this situation .  There's a difference between a big problem and a realistic bit of caution when you want to reopen climbing walls as an example

Andypeak 22 Feb 2021
In reply to Cobra_Head:

BBC article reckons we won't be able to leave the local area until 29th March. No climbing for most of us for another month 😭

jassaelle 22 Feb 2021
In reply to Cobra_Head:

Sadly I think a few weeks. It's bugging me as I'm struggling to cope without hobbies and seeing people. But it's ok cos I've reached out for therapy now thank god... and there's only a 12 week wait for that (: - thanks boris. 

BillyBoredEU 22 Feb 2021
In reply to Cobra_Head:

> What are the chances we'll be able to go back to the wall before March 2021( just in case) ?

In true UK fashion, I hope they don't until everyone has had two jabs cos I'm not interested in going and I have local crags I can climb at and my own training facility so I'm ok

raussmf 22 Feb 2021
In reply to Andypeak:

Please no! Being allowed to travel any distance for exercise was the saving grace before

In reply to Cobra_Head:

> Boris, is laying out the road map tomorrow though, maybe the first thing he'll do is open climbing walls

Yes we all know how mad Borris is about his climbing gyms.  

🤣🤣🤣😂😂🤣

raussmf 22 Feb 2021
In reply to Archmagos_Dominus:

Run out to help out.

mrphilipoldham 22 Feb 2021
In reply to Cobra_Head:

June, and even then that's too soon.

In reply to raussmf:

> Run out to help out.

In Borris case more like" Run off to help out "

🤣

In reply to wbo2:

> > I've heard of a few people I know, who know people, who've had the 1st jab and then went on to catch covid weeks after. I know it isn't 100% but they've been careful too so it's obviously still a big problem.

> IF that were true then you'll likely be under some restrictions permanently. 

> So be careful what dodgy rumours you spread. 

What's dodgy about it?

In reply to girlymonkey:

> It gives no protection for the first 2 weeks, then it gradually increases. He quite probably contracted it in this early stage.

Did he not say his mate had had the jab 4 weeks ago?

AlH 22 Feb 2021
In reply to Cobra_Head:

Not high unless you live on Orkney (who are still in Scottish Tier 3) where the wall is still open.

In reply to wbo2:

> You'll note that the words 'it's obviously still a big problem' were used.  I agree with all of the above about the effectiveness of the vaccine, and how you can get a few outlier cases after vaccination, but if the perception is of a big problem then where do you go with society?  

You still exercise precautions, obviously.

> Yes, I'm being deliberately pedantic and argumentative here, but words matter in this situation .  There's a difference between a big problem and a realistic bit of caution when you want to reopen climbing walls as an example

These are people within a care home (staff and patients) who are still taking precautions, probably a lot better than the general public. I wasn't trying to be alarmist or god forbid pessimistic, I was simply surprised this had happened, I was surprised it was through someone I knew and I thought it might interest people.

What could be worse than people having had a jab who then think they're OK and cause a fourth wave and another lockdown?

In reply to jassaelle:

> Sadly I think a few weeks. It's bugging me as I'm struggling to cope without hobbies and seeing people. But it's ok cos I've reached out for therapy now thank god... and there's only a 12 week wait for that (: - thanks boris. 

Sadly, I know a few of my mates are struggling too. Can you zoom with anyone, we found this helped a lot, surprisingly. We try and "meet" up once a week, like when we'd normally go to the pub.

Hope things pick up for you.

In reply to BillyBoredEU:

> In true UK fashion, I hope they don't until everyone has had two jabs cos I'm not interested in going and I have local crags I can climb at and my own training facility so I'm ok

I'll take that in the manner I think it was meant

So you can have a two fingered salute from me in the same vein. Enjoy you local crags, our local crag is 100+ miles away

BillyBoredEU 22 Feb 2021
In reply to Cobra_Head:

> I'll take that in the manner I think it was meant

> So you can have a two fingered salute from me in the same vein. Enjoy you local crags, our local crag is 100+ miles away

Defo. I have absolutely no interest or desire in going to wall at the moment. But I can appreciate others might not be in my fortunate position so I hope they open asap.

Ramblin dave 22 Feb 2021
In reply to Andypeak:

> BBC article reckons we won't be able to leave the local area until 29th March. No climbing for most of us for another month 😭

I have to admit, the point where schools open is probably the point where we'll get a bit less goody-two-shoes about staying within a super-strict definition of local, assuming that the number of people in hospital continues to fall. Not thinking of travelling long distances or anything, but when kids are being bussed from A to B to spend all day in school with hundreds of other kids, it seems increasingly daft to insist that the world's going to end if people drive from B to A to walk around a reservoir or climb easy boulders or go top-roping with members of their household.

Jon Stewart 22 Feb 2021
In reply to girlymonkey:

He probably contracted it about 5 days before his symptoms started. 

Jenny C 22 Feb 2021
In reply to Misha:

To my surprise it looks like indoor gyms will be in open from 12th April, with potentially the end of all restrictions by 21st June.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-56158405

Post edited at 16:23
 Sean Kelly 22 Feb 2021
In reply to Jenny C:

> To my surprise it looks like indoor gyms will be in open from 12th April, with potentially the end of all restrictions by 21st June.

As I read , it's 12 April at the earliest. They are data, not date driven!

Post edited at 18:00
 Jenny C 22 Feb 2021
In reply to Sean Kelly:

Still much sooner than many people on this thread (myself included) expected. 

Misha 23 Feb 2021
In reply to Jenny C:

Yeah I thought it would me at least a month later. Sort of conflicted in that it would be better to leave open things up later but I’m keen to get back to the wall and having 4-6 weeks indoors before the summer arrives would be great (well the summer could arrive early of course, who knows!). I guess they’ve judged the risks of indoor spread in relatively large rooms x number of people going there = acceptable risk. 

The other good thing is that the campervan will be getting some use from the 12th... if things go well. 

Post edited at 02:34

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...