UKC

Whats your Dream bike ?

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 mike123 20 Jan 2021

great Uncle crispin has sadly passed, a large brown envelope of Swiss franc has been placed in your sweaty hand , with a piece of parchment on which he has written , using his favourite quill  " dear ......,  money for that bike you were telling me about " .

One choice , one bike , no budgetary constraints .

After some thought , here's mine

https://fireflybicycles.com/road-plus/

robert-hutton 20 Jan 2021
In reply to mike123:

Titanium bikes seem to once in a lifetime purchase, I spent my money on an Enigma years ago but now I would go with this, https://www.sturdycycles.co.uk/fiadh

galpinos 20 Jan 2021
In reply to mike123:

One of these please Uncle Crispin:

https://www.northroadcycles.com/explorer

cb294 20 Jan 2021
 graeme jackson 20 Jan 2021
In reply to mike123:

Thanks uncle crispin. I'll be heading down to the nearest Harley dealership. 

LastBoyScout 20 Jan 2021
In reply to mike123:

I already have a very nice road bike, so, off the top of my head, a Trek Fuel EX 9.9.

LastBoyScout 20 Jan 2021
In reply to graeme jackson:

> Thanks uncle crispin. I'll be heading down to the nearest Harley dealership. 

Triumph or Ducatti for me...

Toby_W 20 Jan 2021
In reply to mike123:

The one I own, a 2009 Cervelo R3SL full dura ace and 3tlt kit.  Lightning quick, so comfy and weighs in at just over 6.5kg for a 58 frame.  Spent years tweaking the fit and it is now divine.

I even bought an extra pair of wheels so I'm set if disks take over the world.

Cheers

Toby

ChrisBrooke 20 Jan 2021
In reply to mike123:

I'd be happy with a pretty modest Hope 130 https://www.hopetechhb.com/hb-130 in black and orange

OP mike123 20 Jan 2021
In reply to mike123: some nice choices so far , motorbikes definitely allowed but you need to be more specific to get the wad  . Also  a couple of you seem to have forgotten crispin s reputation for profligate behaviour   .  I’m sure however,  if anybody asked what you did with the rest of the cash he would be  happy for you to paraphrase George Best . 

Marek 20 Jan 2021
In reply to mike123:

Intriguing question, but I found it hard to answer for a few reasons:

1. I'm very 'medium', so I don't need a custom geometry. Yes, there are very pretty custom bikes out there, but for me they are largely a case of aesthetics (aka nice paint job).

2. By definition my 'dream bike' is the one I haven't got. If I had it, it would just be my 'nice' bike and something else would become my 'dream' bike.

3. For me the bike(s) is/are a means to an end. Yes, I have and do lust after some bikes I haven't got, but to get it, it needs to be 'useful'. I'm not interested in something that that's going to live in the garage (or living room) because it's too precious to take out in the rain. And that includes my 'nice' bike. It also needs to be 'crashable' - i.e., I can't be riding it in perpetual fear of dings and scratches - or indeed a terminal write-off. These thing happen.

4. I'm not too bothered about what the bike is made of. Titanium ("bike for life"), steel (".. is real"), carbon, alu - who cares as long as it does the job. Bike life expectancy is dominated by (a) does it get raced/crashed (b) the owners 'attention span' and (c) availability of critical spares, not by the material.

5. Price-wise, 'dream bikes' are often dictated by high-end groupsets and wheels rather than anything to do with the frame. Trouble is that these days there little to differentiate high-end groupset  (eg., Dura-Ace) from mid-range (e.g., 105) except for weight. I've got 105 on my everyday bike and Dura-Ace on my nice one. Really hard to tell the difference*. If your not a racing pro, then what's the benefit of shelling out an extra grand on the groupset? 

Sorry to go off at a tangent. I meant to offer something, but the more I though about it the harder it turn out. So my dream bike? Sadly the best I can say is "something like my current bike(s), but requires minimal maintenance (e.g., once a year) and never has punctures/creaks/squeals/rattles." I don't ever expect to find it. It will remain a dream.

* I've got small hands, so the short/light throw of Dura-Ace levers is noticeable and nice. But not critical - 105 (R7000) is fine. I certainly wouldn't pay the difference to get it.

Marek 20 Jan 2021
In reply to mike123:

> great Uncle crispin has sadly passed, a large brown envelope of Swiss franc has been placed in your sweaty hand , with a piece of parchment on which he has written , using his favourite quill  " dear ......,  money for that bike you were telling me about " .

> One choice , one bike , no budgetary constraints .

> After some thought , here's mine

Actually, to comply with his wishes, there is only one answer: the bike you were "telling him about". So what was it?

OP mike123 20 Jan 2021
In reply to Marek: that one 

Edit : also : bah humbug 

Post edited at 13:17
 nniff 20 Jan 2021
In reply to mike123:

Dream bike you say?

Start with this https://www.titici.com/en/Frames-Bikes/FLEXY-ROAD/Flexy-F-RI02-43

Add Dura-ace Di2 and some Lightweight wheels....

Yanis Nayu 20 Jan 2021
In reply to mike123:

I’ve got a Canyon Aeroad with Ultegra Di2 which is brilliant. I’d be happy with that with some even lighter/more aero wheels and DuraAce. There’s surely got to be a limit to how good bikes can get? As I haven’t got a TT bike I’d probably get one of those with 3D printed aero bars. 

PaulW 20 Jan 2021
In reply to mike123:

This did it for me when I had spare cash. And they are very local which made the difference.

https://www.wyndymilla.com/products/massive-attack-2019

The New NickB 20 Jan 2021
In reply to Marek:

I’ve got 3 bikes (not including an old mountain bike in the garage). All with Shimano road groupsets. Dura Ace, 105 and Tiagra. The 105 is the newest, the Tiagra the oldest. I don’t feel much difference between the Tiagra and the 105, but the Dura Ace is infinitely more pleasurable to ride. Granted, it is a lighter bike with much better wheels, which helps, but the gear changes are much smoother, the braking is much better where comparable (the 105 bike is disk) the other two are rim. I’m an ordinary recreational rider, but I can definitely tell the difference.

Hat Dude 20 Jan 2021
In reply to mike123:

Saw one of these frames a few years ago in JE James, so beautiful

https://www.cyclingweekly.com/news/product-news/merlin-cielo-71324

Hat Dude 20 Jan 2021
In reply to LastBoyScout:

> Triumph or Ducatti for me...

There's unlimited bunce so it would have to be an MV Agusta

OP mike123 20 Jan 2021
In reply to PaulW: bonus points for bike named after band,  crispin was to them as bez was to the Monday’s , but with better quality drugs 

artif 20 Jan 2021
In reply to mike123:

Original SE Quadangle in black for a wall hanger

or an STR 26" version for a rider https://archive.sebikes.com/2018/SE/str-26-quadangle-26

No way could I choose just one bike.......

RBK 20 Jan 2021
In reply to mike123:

Not particularly exotic but I'd probably get an S-Works Tarmac SL7 with Dura-Ace Di2 [none of that SRAM nonsense], a custom paint job from Fat Creations and 2 sets of really nice wheels [one super light, the other 50mm ish]. I can't get excited about Titanium but if I was going custom I'd definitely be speaking to Ricky Feather!

MisterPiggy 20 Jan 2021
In reply to mike123:

A pleasant pipe dream - thanks for that.

I'd go for a titanium framed flatbar, hard tail, with disc brakes, Gates carbon drive and Rholoff (sp?) 14 speed hub. Clean looking, no fuss, and quick enough for me.

If only...

j😀

Marek 20 Jan 2021
In reply to The New NickB:

> I’ve got 3 bikes (not including an old mountain bike in the garage). All with Shimano road groupsets. Dura Ace, 105 and Tiagra. The 105 is the newest, the Tiagra the oldest. I don’t feel much difference between the Tiagra and the 105, but the Dura Ace is infinitely more pleasurable to ride. Granted, it is a lighter bike with much better wheels, which helps, but the gear changes are much smoother, the braking is much better where comparable (the 105 bike is disk) the other two are rim. I’m an ordinary recreational rider, but I can definitely tell the difference.

Are you saying Dura-Ace rim brakes perform noticeably better than 105 discs? OK, but I'm surprised. As for shifting, I find both to be well-nigh faultless, so it may be down to wear/maintenance rather than the groupset. I'm guessing the 'nice' bike is generally better looked after and cleaner?

nniff 20 Jan 2021
In reply to Marek:

When people talk about groupsets they often seem to focus on the gear change.  That gets better, but the real difference is in the brakes - Dura-ace has bearings rather than bushes and the modulation and power are in a different league to 105 rim.  You can adjust them easily so that they are pin sharp, which is harder to do with hydraulic.  105 hydraulic has a slightly different feel, without as much feedback - it's harder to feel when a wheel might lock up.

Personally, I don't like the Shimano pads that come with a groupset (especially in the rain).  Change to SwissStop and all is good.  In the wet, Dura-ace rim won't stop as fast as 105 hydraulic disc, but in the dry I'd go fro Dura-ace rim.  Carbon wheels in the UK with rim brakes? No thank you.   My rim brake bikes have good hubs - alloy rims are relatively cheap, so the winter grinding noise isn't too upsetting.  

peppermill 20 Jan 2021
In reply to mike123:

Road- Most things Cinelli

MTB- Most things Rocky Mountain

Cobra_Head 20 Jan 2021
In reply to mike123:

Africa Twin

The New NickB 20 Jan 2021
In reply to Marek:

In the dry I certainly prefer the Dura Ace rim brakes, the pads are specific to the wheels so not Shimano. In the wet they don’t stop the wheel as well as the disk. The difference between the Dura Ace rim brakes and Tiagra rim brakes is like night and day.

tintinandpip 20 Jan 2021
In reply to Cobra_Head:

Beat me to it !

Brough Superior ss100 

Dark-Cloud 20 Jan 2021
In reply to mike123:

I'm going to be boring and go Colnago C64 with Dura Ace Di2 and Lightweight Meilenstein

fred99 20 Jan 2021
In reply to mike123:

1938 Brough Superior SS100 with a Matchless power unit.

fred99 20 Jan 2021
In reply to tintinandpip:

> Beat me to it !

> Brough Superior ss100 

Great minds think alike (or is it fools seldom differ ?).

Marek 20 Jan 2021
In reply to nniff:

> Personally, I don't like the Shimano pads that come with a groupset (especially in the rain).  Change to SwissStop and all is good.  In the wet, ...

Indeed. I have SwissStop pads in the Dura-Ace brakes (came with the bike) and Shimano in the 105. Certainly feel different. Better? I'm not sure - it's just what you're used to, I think. Although I seems to be getting an increased amount of squealing from the 105s in all this cr*p weather. Despite cleaning them occasionally.

OP mike123 20 Jan 2021
In reply to tintinandpip: now we re talking old crispys language. hang on ill just have a quick check in the envelope

. <thumbs through  fictional wadge of 1000 chf notes, and places in piles>  

yep .  your good . last one went on ebay for about  £90 k.  not sure about laddo s fancy engine.

Enty 20 Jan 2021
In reply to mike123:

Tried and tested. raced by pros. It'll do for me.

https://www.bike-components.de/cache/p/xl1/7/8/Specialized-Velo-Complet-en-...

E

Marek 20 Jan 2021
In reply to Enty:

> Tried and tested. raced by pros. It'll do for me.

> E

A very good bike I'm sure. But a bit... ... grey?

OP mike123 20 Jan 2021
In reply to Marek:

> A very good bike I'm sure. But a bit... ... grey?

this from the man who manged to poo poo just about every way of spunking silly money on a push  bike (see first reply above ).

edit: found you something colourful :

https://www.halfords.com/bikes/kids-bikes/apollo-fade-kids-bike---16in-whee...

edit 2: bit worried about what you are going to do with your change (see george best comment above

Post edited at 17:38
 John Gresty 20 Jan 2021
In reply to mike123:

There is a new 250cc Two Stroke motorbike being developed in this country, I forget the name of the company doing the work. Hopefully out later this year, now that is my dream road bike. Off road that is a bit more difficult but as I cannot get a competition licence any more that option is off the cards.

John

Andrew Lodge 20 Jan 2021
In reply to mike123:

> some nice choices so far , motorbikes definitely allowed but you need to be more specific to get the wad  . Also  a couple of you seem to have forgotten crispin s reputation for profligate behaviour   .  I’m sure however,  if anybody asked what you did with the rest of the cash he would be  happy for you to paraphrase George Best . 

On this basis no question, a really tidy RC30

I can't believe I didn't buy one when they were unfashionable and going relatively cheap.

elsewhere 20 Jan 2021
In reply to mike123:

Something that comes with a lifetime service by somebody else tweaking it to perfection once a month!

Post edited at 17:55
 Marek 20 Jan 2021
In reply to mike123:

> this from the man who manged to poo poo just about every way of spunking silly money on a push  bike (see first reply above ).

Yeh, I've never been very good at spending money - silly or otherwise. In my defense I did pretty much on a whim (had just been told I must stop running 'cos my hip will fall apart) buy a CAAD12 with Dura-Ace in purple (a bit like: https://www.paulscycles.co.uk/bikes/road-bikes/2019-cannondale-caad12-disc-...). OK, not very fancy by some peoples' standards, but I've always liked CAADs. And yes, I do like the colour. Sad, but there you go.

tintinandpip 20 Jan 2021
In reply to Mike 123 

I assumed even a Swiss uncle wouldn’t fit the necessary funds for an s100 into a brown envelope. 
My feeling on the pedal bike is that it’s best not to get a really, really good one as it then leaves no excuses ! 

Post edited at 18:11
OP mike123 20 Jan 2021
In reply to Marek: thats the spirit. nice looking bike. good on you. i reckon if you had a  couple of weeks cragging in spain or somewhere else pleasantly sunny ,with easy access to some bright lights ,  listening to me witter on about "its your money" "you re only here once " "why do you need any justification other than you want it " you would  be in wheelbase enquiring about some mudguards for it and hanging your nose over the guuci stuff upstairs,

OP mike123 20 Jan 2021
In reply to tintinandpip: i have it on good authority that in zurich there is a shop called the large brown envelope shop , "you need an envelope we ask how big ?"

SebCa 20 Jan 2021
In reply to mike123:

Im sure uncle Crispin will of recalled with great delight of the plural aspect of my desire!

Road: BMC Timemachine 01, sadly not available any more in the pale green they did a few years back...

https://www.sigmasports.com/item/BMC/Timemachine-01-Road-One-Red-eTap-AXS-H...

TT: Speedmax CFR Etap

https://www.canyon.com/en-gb/road-bikes/triathlon-bikes/speedmax/speedmax-c...

bouldery bits 20 Jan 2021
In reply to mike123:

2021 Scott Foil 10 with SRAM Force ETap on it. 

The chameleon fade colour.

Thanks 👍

Marek 20 Jan 2021
In reply to mike123:

Nah. If I need mudguards I have Kinesis Tripster in sparkly Harris Green. Not that you can see much of the sparkle under all that mud and grime at the moment.

JLS 20 Jan 2021
In reply to mike123:

Gios Torino Super Record init?

http://www.classicbikeshop.eu/GiosNW-details.html

OP mike123 20 Jan 2021
In reply to JLS: yep , floats my boat to, i met a guy this summer who lives in town and talked briefly about classic steel bikes. i then saw him out on one of his bikes and stopped and had a brew (socially distanced outside of village shop doing take away ) . turns out he is moving from his beautifully old house to a newish build out of town with a triple garage  because of his classic steel bike collection, which is up to 20 , from  mercians to various italian esoterica . he s a a stickler for bikes being  correct, so groupset , wheels etc have to be right.  willing to bet he has a gios

Mooncat 20 Jan 2021
In reply to JLS:

One of the best bikes I've ever had, probably a few years after the one in your picture. I remember being unsure about it because it was a 74 degree parallel frame when I was riding 72. Oria RANF spiral butted tubing which I don't think I saw on any other bike. 

Dream bike is my S works Roubaix, don't think I'd change it for anything else available now. 

65 20 Jan 2021
In reply to mike123:

Shand Stooshie with Record and Hope wheels or a Multistrada Pikes Peak.

JLS 20 Jan 2021
In reply to mike123:

I do like an old bike. I’ve got a couple, not twenty though. Wouldn’t his mind a double garage so I could have bikes and a climbing wall...

SteveJC94 20 Jan 2021
In reply to mike123:

Pinarello F12 with Super Record EPS, Bora Ultra wheels and a custom paint job from Fatcreations 

Enty 20 Jan 2021
In reply to Marek:

Just how I like my bikes.

E

kevin stephens 20 Jan 2021
In reply to mike123:

Are bling bikes like Colango and Pinerello over rated nowadays? My Dolan Tuono with Ultegra is no heavier than their top of the range bikes, and I don’t need the frame stiffness to push out more than 600W in a sprint. Then again a Ferrari wouldn’t improve my lifestyle more than my Volvo estate, so maybe I just don’t get it?

Myfyr Tomos 20 Jan 2021
In reply to mike123:

If Uncle Crispin, with all his millions, only left me enough for a bloody pushbike, I'd be well pi$$ed off.

fire_munki 20 Jan 2021
In reply to mike123:

Depending on how I was feeling either a Look aero disc build with Rotor power meter and DuraAce throughout or a Moots fast titanium gravel bike built up with DI2 GRX/XT combo Rotor power meter and 2 sets of wheels depending on terrain.

Prob Moots if it's a dream bike.

Can you tell I suffer from insomnia and build bikes in my head when I'm not sleeping?

Enty 21 Jan 2021
In reply to kevin stephens:

> Are bling bikes like Colango and Pinerello over rated nowadays? My Dolan Tuono with Ultegra is no heavier than their top of the range bikes, and I don’t need the frame stiffness to push out more than 600W in a sprint. Then again a Ferrari wouldn’t improve my lifestyle more than my Volvo estate, so maybe I just don’t get it?

Good question. I've ridden Dolan bikes from about 2003 onwards. Black soul, Aurora, Ares. Actually won races on my Aurora. I love Terry's bikes.

3 years ago I had some spare cash and our local dealer did me a deal on a Pinarello Gan RS. It's like an F8, similar mould but slightly heavier but a bit cheaper. Descending on it was a complete revelation. It's incredible. After all those years. I now often go on rides which involve my favourite descents. It's like paying to go on rides at Blackpool Pleasure Beach every time I go out.

Now, I'm not just saying that because I have spent a lot of money on something like a lot of people won't admit to owning something crap when it was expensive because round about the same time I bought some Enve wheels which I hate and are the biggest, overpriced, overrated thing I've ever bought.

E

Post edited at 07:11
 peppermill 21 Jan 2021
In reply to mike123:

Thinking about it, if I was to pick one bike then I think it would be the Colnago Martyn Ashton/Chris Akrigg/ Danny MacAskill used in "Road Bike Party 2". 

Achingly beautiful and (I think) the first production road bike with disc brakes.

(Maybe not the exact one. "Road bike for sale, 3 careful owners.......")

Post edited at 08:54
 artif 21 Jan 2021
In reply to mike123:

Despite my previous post, I'm surprised at the amount of off the peg bikes being posted.

I used to build my dream bikes, picking every component was part of the fun. The only itch I've left to scratch, is building my own frame.

guffers_hump 21 Jan 2021
In reply to mike123:

Lots of Road Bikes on here, ergh. I've got a pretty kitted out Giant Reign for a while now. 

So Uncle it'll be a big rig to haul my fat arse down the hill

https://www.saracen.co.uk/bike/myst-team-275-2020

and then one of them New Triumph Daytona Moto2 pls

https://www.triumphmotorcycles.co.uk/motorcycles/roadsters/daytona-moto2-76...

I like this game.

Post edited at 09:28
 JimR 21 Jan 2021
In reply to guffers_hump:

I’ve already got my dream bike, a cevello R5 but I’d spend the money on upgrading it with di2 , zipp 404 front and 808 back

Doug 21 Jan 2021

I'd like my old Mercian back, it was stolen from our garage & I've never been able to justify replacing it with the same - seemed it wasn't covered by the insurance for its real value & at the time I couldn't afford to buy another. Now I can afford it, I can't really justify it as I don't cycle as much. It was a based on a built to measure king of Mercia frame, Mavic rims on Campag hubs & fitted out for touring. Rode several thousand miles on it both touring & commuting to/from work.

Oddly the bike was taken to a local bike shop who recognised it (they built the wheels for me) & one of the staff kept the new 'owner' occupied while another tried to phone me but I was out doing field work (no moble phones then). They didn't feel they could 'confiscate' the bike on my behalf

In reply to mike123:

I already own my dream bike I think...

Factor o2 (second gen) - Dura Ace di2 / 4iiii double sided power meter / Ceramic speed OSPW / Selle Italia C59 full carbon saddle / Speedplay Titanium zero pedals / Black Inc 60's and Black Inc 20's wheel sets

Am tempted to buy a Factor Ostro next year for a bit more aero, but will be hard to justify if i'm honest...but N+1 is a powerful formula

Marek 21 Jan 2021
In reply to Enty:

As an engineer, one of the things I find enticing about bikes is that when it comes down to how they feel to ride - the difference between a 'fun' bike and an 'OK' bike' - they really defy engineering analysis. Yes, people will wax lyrical about short/long chainstays, angles, trail/offset, stiffness, compliance and all that, but (in my experience at least) until you get on it and take it for a spin you really don't know if it's going to put a smile on your face.

Which to get back to the OP's topic, is one of the reason I struggle with coming up with 'dream bike'. One non-negotiable aspect of would be it would have to be really good ride (whatever that means). It's easy to look at a picture and judge the aesthetics, but how do you predict its feel?  I'd hate to end up with something which looked nice but was 'meh' out on the road. I've test-ridden quite a few well-reviewed bikes which I've found quite 'boring' on the road, so to get some idea of my dream bike I'd have to get out there and start test-riding bikes I can't afford. Not going to risk that!

yeti 21 Jan 2021
In reply to mike123:

an original 1100 Katana, sadly I don't have the 10k spare at the mo

nor do I have a wife who would accept such an erm ... investment

sorry it isn't a bicycle

dave

Post edited at 10:39
 graeme jackson 21 Jan 2021
In reply to Hat Dude:

> Saw one of these frames a few years ago in JE James, so beautiful

That's lovely. My road bike is a Merlin that I got in 1999 in an insurance claim against the lady that knocked me down and crushed my Flying scot. Weighs a ton compared to modern bikes but it's good enough for my needs. Campag veloce chainset. 

Post edited at 14:11
 Alkis 21 Jan 2021
In reply to mike123:

Probably a Cannondale Topstone Carbon Lefty 1:

https://www.cannondale.com/en-gb/bikes/road/gravel/topstone-carbon/topstone...

I currently run a flat bar hybrid that is very close to a road bike and abuse the absolute living hell out of it (its sleek tyres have been taken down a few MTB trails etc...) so this would fit the bill nicely.

cousin nick 21 Jan 2021
In reply to mike123:

Thanks Great Uncle Crispin!

Mine will probably be built up on a Kinesis ATR Ti frame with an Ultegra 2x11 hydro groupset.  Hunt 4-season wheels for gravel, and maybe an extra front one with a SON hub to power lights and gadgetry for adventures. A set of Zipp 454's for the tarmac. Carbon bars and posty bits (probably Zipp). Maybe a fancy saddle, but I'd still want to keep my beloved Brooks B17 if I was heading off for a few weeks at a time. Bolt on goodies would mostly be Ti or carbon, fastened with Ti bolts.

Fortunately for me, Great Uncle Crispin's envelope will become a reality when my occupational pension matures in <2 years, so you can tell, I've given it some thought!

N

Post edited at 17:22
OP mike123 22 Jan 2021
In reply to Doug:

> I'd like my old Mercian back, 

I think you should make this a lock down priority . you might be surprised how relatively small the cost of the bits would be . Up thread I mention a guy who lives locally who collects old steel bikes . He buys all sorts of bits and bobs from all of over the place . Often the bits are In a bit of a state but he throws very litttle away . time,  the internet , metal polish and elbow grease.  . I had a Mercian briefly but it was too big for me and had to go to a new home  , I'd like another .

OP mike123 22 Jan 2021
In reply to cousin nick: 

> Thanks Great Uncle Crispin!

> Mine will probably be built up on a Kinesis ATR Ti frame with an Ultegra 2x11 hydro groupset.  Hunt 4-season wheels for gravel, and maybe an extra front one with a SON hub to power lights and gadgetry for adventures. A set of Zipp 454's for the tarmac. Carbon bars and posty bits (probably Zipp). Maybe a fancy saddle, but I'd still want to keep my beloved Brooks B17 if I was heading off for a few weeks at a time. Bolt on goodies would mostly be Ti or carbon, fastened with Ti bolts.

nice . 

OP mike123 22 Jan 2021
In reply to Alkis:

i had never seen that before and really like the look of that for something off the peg , cheap to. 

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...