UKC

1st "fictional character death" to affect you

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 Blue Straggler 18 Jan 2009
For me it was the death of Danny Sparks in Juliet Bravo. Actually it was the first death of any kind to affect me.
Daithi O Murchu 18 Jan 2009
In reply to Blue Straggler:

Quint in Jaws

i wanted him to live, i wanted to be like him

http://www.yourprops.com/norm-47151755bc9c8-Jaws+(1975).jpeg
 Trangia 18 Jan 2009

Bambi's mum
 wilkie14c 18 Jan 2009
In reply to Daithi O Murachu:
Good call! Blood from the mouth made a lasting impression on little wide eyed boy that was me!
My nan took me and big sister to see it, i must have only been 8 or 9 - what was she thinking!
Dunno why but I always remember Len Fairclough being hit by the tram! Maybe cause I live in Blackpool?? (would have been more ironic if they'd had filmed it outside the 'Sandcastle'!!)
 Al Evans 18 Jan 2009
In reply to Trangia: Definitely Bambis Mum, I cried Watership down was sad too, half the cast wiped out in one fell swoop

Al Evans 18 Jan 2009
In reply to blanchie14c: It wasn't Len Fairclough was it?
 Mikkel 18 Jan 2009

Ben Kenobi, was very relieved when i found he was still there in spirit.
 Humpty Dangler 18 Jan 2009

The otter being killed by a blow to the head with a spade in Ring of Bright Water. I was 4 and never properly recovered.
 TeaGirl 18 Jan 2009

Does Two Socks in Dances with Wolves count?
 wilkie14c 18 Jan 2009
In reply to Al Evans:
LOL very worrying if it was eh? Just seems to stick in my mind!
 Clarence 18 Jan 2009

Alan Bradley got hit by a Blackpool tram.

Just been watching Jaws - "here's to swimmin with bow-legged women!"

The first screen death to really affect me was probably the bus going over the cliff on the last episode of The Young Ones. I was Young Ones mad at the time and it really hit home - no more (good) TV!
 Clarence 18 Jan 2009

On the other hand, everyone in the cinema cheered and a few gave a standing ovation when Peter Duncan got killed in Flash Gordon. Does that count?
 BelleVedere 18 Jan 2009

almost certainly the death of Ginger in Black beauty. My mum caught me reading it under the covers - then half an hour later came back in to find me inconsolable having carried on reading.
 BelleVedere 18 Jan 2009
In reply to Humpty Dangler:

that - and watership down (sob).

(it would appear i'm a big softie when it come to animal death)
 Chris Harris 18 Jan 2009
Rather sadly, the first screen deaths that had an effect on me were those of the plants in Silent Running!

Great film.
 wilkie14c 18 Jan 2009
In reply to Chris Harris:
Alan Bradley - of course! nobhead blanchie.....

Seriously, when Jimmy went over the cliff in quadraphinia I was shocked. Made me ask a lot of questions of myself....
(or did he go over?)
 Rob Exile Ward 18 Jan 2009
In reply to Blue Straggler: Dunno, but it was a major blow on New Year's eve in about 1990 when Ken Barlow DIDN'T top himself. New Year's eve in some caravans in Roy Bridge, we were all cheering him on as well...
 Al Evans 18 Jan 2009
In reply to blanchie14c: Good point, I've got my copy out and watched it again, you are right, you only ever see the scooter fall. I once climbed(his first ever route) Troutdale Pinnacle with Pete (Gary Cooper) and asked him this question, he said the cast never knew?
Hannah m 18 Jan 2009
Didn't Dumbo's mum die as well? At least there was a scene with her beign taken away for being a mad elephant or something and touchiing trunks with Dumbo through the bars, iirc - Disney films were hard stuff.

In films I remember being upset by Mr Chips dying in Goodbye Mr Chips; from books I remember Ginger's death in Black Beauty. Hazel's death in Watership Down also springs to mind. I think the one in Black Beauty might have been the first from reading. Ah - it could have been the end of Tarka in Tarka the Otter.
 Al Evans 18 Jan 2009
In reply to Hannah m: Hazels death in WD, I have tears in my eyes after reading that post
Andrew Murray 18 Jan 2009
In reply to Blue Straggler: Rico Dredd.
 Tom Last 18 Jan 2009
In reply to Daithi O Murachu:
> (In reply to Blue Straggler)
>
> Quint in Jaws
>
> i wanted him to live, i wanted to be like him
>
> http://www.yourprops.com/norm-47151755bc9c8-Jaws+(1975).jpeg

Excellent.

"Fairwell and adieu to you all Spanish ladies..." etc...

JLS 18 Jan 2009

The old black guy that sung Zippidy du da in a disney film. What film was that then?
 Toby S 18 Jan 2009

Thorin Oakenshield in The Hobbit. I think it was the first book I had read where a character dies.
 katie75 18 Jan 2009
In reply to Blue Straggler: Von Ryan (Frank Sinatra) in Von Ryans Express.
(you once said ryan, if only one escapes, its a victory)
i was only about 10 when i first saw this, and its still a great movie.
In reply to Blue Straggler: When Kes's big brother killed his kestrel and he found him in the dustbin. I cried like a baby first time i saw that!
 toad 18 Jan 2009
In reply to climberjamie: similarly, Midge the Otter in the film of Ring of Bright Water
 Tom Last 18 Jan 2009
In reply to toad:

Except that Midge was a real life character/otter
 Angie Lester 18 Jan 2009

Rydag in Clan of the Cave Bear by Jean Auel

mack 18 Jan 2009
In reply to katie75:

Another for 'Von Ryans Express'... was very young and it choked me up..

There was talk of a sequal (which hints that he didnt really die)but I don't think it ever got made...
 DesperateDan 18 Jan 2009

Screen: Bambis' Mum
Book: Albus Dumbledore (I hoped and expected him to still be alive well into the next book).
 katie75 18 Jan 2009
In reply to mack: no i dont think it did.
 Alyson 18 Jan 2009
In reply to Blue Straggler: The unicorn dying in Alan Garner's Elidor. My mum was trying to read it to me but she was crying and I was crying. I was probably 4 or 5...? Very traumatic!
DaveH 18 Jan 2009

Captain Scarlet, but I got over it pretty quickly
 toad 18 Jan 2009
In reply to Queequeg:
> (In reply to toad)
>
> Except that Midge was a real life character/otter

of course!, although the film was not entirely following the book
Removed User 18 Jan 2009

for me, I think it was the horse character in "Animal Farm"
Removed User 18 Jan 2009
In reply to JLS:
>
> The old black guy that sung Zippidy du da in a disney film. What film was that then?

Wasn't that the mortician who put Al Fayed and Princess Diana into the body bags?

Zippidy Dodi, zippidy Di

Knitting Norah 19 Jan 2009

Zippidy do da is from 'Song of the south'.
 anansie 19 Jan 2009

Lenny in 'Of Mice and Men'. His death made me cry.

And, the little boy who was electrocuted in Carolina Skeletons.
Jim C 19 Jan 2009
In reply to blanchie14c:
> (In reply to Daithi O Murachu)
> > Dunno why but I always remember Len Fairclough being hit by the tram! Maybe cause I live in Blackpool??

Well, I remember Len Fairclough (Peter Adamson)him being up for fiddling with young girls in a swimming pool (And a drunk to boot).

More the pity that fictional knock down by a tram , was not real life in that case.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/obituaries/1382136/Peter-Adamson.html
Jason123 19 Jan 2009

Kirk Douglas (spartacus) being crucified, I cried (aged 7) blamed it on a sore knee.
 Wft 19 Jan 2009
In reply to Humpty Dangler: I had actually forced that out of memory I can only think because that has brought it all back.
 Al Evans 19 Jan 2009
In reply to Jim C:
> (In reply to blanchie14c)
> More the pity that fictional knock down by a tram , was not real life in that case.

It wasn't even Len Fairclough.
What do you think about 'Dirty Den' (Leslie Grantham) that actually murdered an innocent taxi driver and went on to star in Eastenders? I refused to work with him and fortunately my boss agreed.
 Humpty Dangler 19 Jan 2009
In reply to GuyVG:

My parents took me to see it at a cinema in London and I screamed the place down, to the extent that my dad went to "make them change the film". He came back ten minutes later with an ice cream, and I just knew he hadn't done what he'd promised. To make matters even worse, I left my... monkey on the bus home and never got it back.
 Shani 19 Jan 2009

Christopher Walken's character in 'The Deer Hunter'. It still guts me even now.
 brieflyback 19 Jan 2009
In reply to Shani:

Gan in Blakes 7. Got squashed by a door, I seem to remember. I was gutted. Although not as well-gutted as Gan.
soveda@work 19 Jan 2009
The death of Lennie at George's hands (book not film).
 wilkie14c 19 Jan 2009
In reply to Al Evans:
Morning Al! Been thinking about this thread and rewinding films in my head. Although not a real 'person' as such, Rutger Hauer's 'death speach'as Roy Batty in Blade Runner was quite moving and for the first time throughout the film you saw life from the replicant's eyes. Daryll Hannah as Pris too - had her back blown out and fell through the glass? I was wide eyed with shock at that! Must have been about 12/13 and was the second time i'd even been to the pic's on my own!
 JLS 19 Jan 2009
In reply to Knitting Norah:

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0038969/synopsis

I'm not even sure if Uncle Remus actually did die now. I've probably got confused with something else where the old black guy does die!
 Zygoticgema 19 Jan 2009
In reply to Blue Straggler: The Anthropomorphic personification of Death from the Terry Prachett novels.... He's so alone!
almost sane 19 Jan 2009

Owen Meany, in the eponymous prayer.

Not only is "A prayer for Owen Meany" a great story, uplifting and moving and disturbing, but it has given me the first chance in my entire life to use the word "eponymous" in a sentence!

It has been turned into a five part radio play, and is broadcast this week on Radio 4.
Sarah G 19 Jan 2009
Aslan.

I read the Lion, the Witch and The Wardrobe when I was about 7 or 8.

Sxx
Sarah G 19 Jan 2009
In reply to Sarah G:
Closely followed by Bel Bel. I was really into Elynne Mitchell's Brumby series at the time.
 Chris the Tall 19 Jan 2009
In reply to Al Evans:
> What do you think about 'Dirty Den' (Leslie Grantham) that actually murdered an innocent taxi driver and went on to star in Eastenders? I refused to work with him and fortunately my boss agreed.

It's a pity you turned down the role as Dot Cotton's love interest in Eastenders - you'd have been perfect !!!

For me the most moving death in a book was in "Señor Vivo and the Coca Lord" by Louis de Bernieres. Or the deaths, or rather "completions" of Ruth and Tommy in "Never Let me Go" by Kazuo Ishiguro

But the first fictional death to affect me was obviously Jesus Christ - affected my life until I became an aetheist when I was 20.

zephr 19 Jan 2009

ahh, come on guys, I cant believe no one else wasnt affected by Optimus Prime in Transformers the Movie- (the original one, I must hasten to add)
 Dom Whillans 19 Jan 2009
In reply to Al Evans:
> (In reply to Jim C)
> [...]
>
> It wasn't even Len Fairclough.
> What do you think about 'Dirty Den' (Leslie Grantham) that actually murdered an innocent taxi driver and went on to star in Eastenders? I refused to work with him and fortunately my boss agreed.

I remember my dad going spare when he appeared on TV - he was an army journalist / PR bod in Germany at the time and said he knew the full story. he refused to have eastenders on TV at all after that (one thing that i always agreed with him about!)

watership down did it for me as a kid. the song "bright eyes" still brings all those feelings back vividly too!
In reply to zephr:

An affecting fictional death but maybe not the FIRST one for any posters so far.
In reply to blanchie14c:
> Daryll Hannah as Pris too - had her back blown out and fell through the glass? I was wide eyed with shock at that!

That's not Pris being shot and falling through the glass, that's Joanna Cassidy's character as the exotic snake dancer. Pris eventually loses a brutal unarmed fight with Deckard in Sebastien's apartment, later on.
The Jackal 19 Jan 2009

I think it was Brian Cant in Play Away The Movie, when he immolated himself outside the BBC after they cancelled the show.
 wilkie14c 19 Jan 2009
oh yea, coming back now. Time to re-watch i think! still a graphic death though, even if supposedly was a replicant.....
Tim Chappell 19 Jan 2009
Gandalf in The Lord of the Rings, though <PLOT SPOILER> that turned out to be a 'death' rather than a death. First time around would have been when I was about 8.
birdman 19 Jan 2009

Bambi's mum... i was gutted
Removed User 19 Jan 2009
In reply to birdman:
>
> Bambi's mum... i was gutted

The really scary thing is that I was thinking the very same as I was scrolling down to the bottom of the thread!
 Nevis-the-cat 19 Jan 2009
In reply to birdman:
>
> Bambi's mum... i was gutted

Yeah, she was gralloched too.
Ian 19 Jan 2009

Old Yeller

"He's my dawg Ma, I'll do it..."

<sob>
 Clarence 19 Jan 2009
In reply to The Jackal:
>Brian Cant in Play Away The Movie, when he immolated himself outside the BBC after they cancelled the show.

I always wondered who it was on that Rage Against the Machine album...
 John Ww 19 Jan 2009
In reply to Toby S: Yep, me too - I can still remember it (from about 40 yrs ago!!!).
 elsiem 19 Jan 2009
In reply to: The Little Matchgirl, my dad read it to me when I was little... By Hans Christian Anderson iirc
 Tiggs 19 Jan 2009
In reply to Trangia:
>
> Bambi's mum

Me too! I was v.v. young. Traumatised me for ages, I kept having dreams about my parents dying.
 Neil Conway 19 Jan 2009

Anyone mentioned Jesus yet?
Ian 19 Jan 2009
In reply to Neil Conway:

wondered how long that would take
 ranger*goy 19 Jan 2009

The upcoming loss of David Tennent

And Watership Down of course.
 marsbar 19 Jan 2009
In reply to elsiem: Oh yes, very sad.
 marsbar 19 Jan 2009
In reply to marsbar: Also I am embarrassed now to admit to this, but I was young back then!

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Damon_and_Debbie
Simon05 19 Jan 2009
In reply to Blue Straggler: Gotta say that all the deaths in Sin City the other night disturbed me slightly.
Andrew Murray 23 Jan 2009
In reply to Chris the Tall:
> (In reply to Al Evans)

> But the first fictional death to affect me was obviously Jesus Christ - affected my life until I became an aetheist when I was 20.

Fictional because:
a) he never died
b) reports of his resurrection were fictional
c) he didn't exist in the first place?
Knitting Norah 23 Jan 2009

The young dear in The Yearling.
Knitting Norah 23 Jan 2009

Ooops that should be deer.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...