UKC

Recommended shoe resolers?

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 cb_6 07 May 2014
I'm based in London and looking to get a pair resoled quickly. Which resolers would you recommend and which should be avoided?

Thanks
 Jim Lancs 07 May 2014
In reply to cb_6:

I've tried a couple and Cheshire Shoe Repair in Warrington has been the best by far.
 lithos 07 May 2014
In reply to cb_6:

be sure to call them and ask about turn around, some will be busier than others !
 Fiskavaig 07 May 2014
In reply to cb_6:

Cheshire shoes, or feet first, both do a good job. Llanberis resoles, not very impressed.
 Rick Graham 07 May 2014
In reply to Fiskavaig:

It had to happen. LR with an unhappy customer after countless thumbs up on UKC, including mine.
 oscaig 07 May 2014
In reply to Rick Graham:

Always had a good service and results from Feet First - used a number of times (perhaps half a dozen resoles over the years).

Ian
 PaulTanton 07 May 2014
In reply to cb_6:
Yeah FF have always done a good job on my rock and approach shoes.
 Šljiva 08 May 2014
In reply to Rick Graham:
I was extremely disappointed too, especially after all the good reviews. will stick with Cheshire in future.
 remus Global Crag Moderator 08 May 2014
In reply to cb_6:

Llanberis resoles has always been good for me, had a few pairs done there now.
 CPH 08 May 2014
In reply to remus:

Recently used Feet First (in Chesterfield, Derbyshire)-excellent job.
I had not tried a re-sole for years.
 Rick Graham 08 May 2014
In reply to Šljiva:

You may have misread my post.

I find LR very good.
In reply to Fiskavaig and Kristen:

> Llanberis resoles, not very impressed.

What didn't you like about Llanberis Resoles? I've been very impressed with the two pairs of shoes they resoled for me and will be using them again.

Would be interested to hear your experiences.

Tom
 Pete Dangerous 08 May 2014
My Cheshire resoles went through at the toe within a couple of months. Is that normal? Usually the new ones would last me 8-9 months.
 mrchewy 08 May 2014
In reply to Tom Ripley Mountain Guide:

Cost - It's cheaper by fifteen quid to send a pair to Poland to have a sole and rand. Torquil does nice work, I've had two pairs done by him but £55 isn't much short of a new pair of Bandits for me.
 Rick Graham 08 May 2014
In reply to mrchewy:

> Cost - It's cheaper by fifteen quid to send a pair to Poland to have a sole and rand. Torquil does nice work, I've had two pairs done by him but £55 isn't much short of a new pair of Bandits for me.

Where's that?

Somebody near Siurana is highly recommended and Jon posted about some very good French ones recently.
 deepsoup 08 May 2014
In reply to mrchewy:
> I've had two pairs done by him but £55 isn't much short of a new pair of Bandits for me.

Including the postage both ways?

He's done two pairs for me, one pair with a rand patch and one without. A wee bit less than half the price of a new pair of Vapour V. (You're lucky to get much change from 100 quid these days.)

Though funnily enough, in both cases the toe strap on the left shoe broke shortly afterwards. (Nothing to do with Torquil - chafed through by excessive jamming.) I finally got around to repairing that myself, quite a decent job I think and I didn't stab myself in the finger once.
OP cb_6 14 May 2014
In reply to cb_6:

Just realised I never bothered to thank your all for your feedback. I went with Cheshire shoes in the end, and even including the postage and what the post office takes for the postal order it's still only half what I'd pay for a new pair of Pythons. Hopefully they'll do a decent job!
 Fiskavaig 14 May 2014

yhm
In reply to cb_6:

I'd go for Llanberis Resoles - have heard nothing but good thins about Torquil's work until this thread and have good personal experience of his work compared to bad experience of one of the others - Cheshire?

Torquil really does care that the resole he provides works to restore the shoe to it's original form to the extent that he'll try his best to take a look at a brand new shoe to understand what to aim for.

Imagine the bad feedback may be due to shoes that were way past being salvaged?

HTH Dunc
In reply to cb_6: Nothing to do with resoles, but...

Cheshire shoe repairs is about a mile away from me. Over the years I've had a number of pairs of rock shoes done by them, in addition to some other, more general, cobbling.

The wife's Brasher shoes had reached a stage of advanced distress recently, with the stitching loose or gone in places and big gaps between the sections of the uppers. They were, or had been, very comfy. Rather than relegating them to gardening, I took them in to Cheshire Shoes repairs last week to see if they could stitch the bits back together, and left them with them. I collected them yesterday, and a first class job they'd made of them too, neat, tidy, strong and repaired in places I'd not requested because they thought the stitching looked like it would go in the not-too-distant future.

The cost of this excellent repair work? Four quid.

Marvellous shoe repair shop, that. We're in the process of moving house to a different part of the country and that's one thing I'm going to miss.

T.
I've no connection with the shop, I just live near them and have been a satisfied customer on many occasions.

Mick Ward 14 May 2014
In reply to Duncan Campbell - UKC:

> Torquil really does care...

Agree.

Mick
 Šljiva 14 May 2014
Sorry for the late reply, I hadn't seen your comment until now.
I left a pair of Sportiva TC Pro, scuffed in the toes but otherwise not that worn. They have a pretty thick stiff sole, but came back like a beginner's slipper. I bought a new pair via the web for not that much more and used the resoled ones for easy wall sessions but they were falling apart again after about 6 weeks. I don't doubt his passion for what he does and there are certainly plenty of satisfied customers, but for me, it wasn't a good experience and not cheap either. I haven't had this particular shoe resoled with Cheshire so can't compare directly but they did an excellent job on my old Miuras.
 torquil 15 May 2014
In reply to Šljiva:

> I left a pair of Sportiva TC Pro, scuffed in the toes but otherwise not that worn. They have a pretty thick stiff sole, but came back like a beginner's slipper. I bought a new pair via the web for not that much more and used the resoled ones for easy wall sessions but they were falling apart again after about 6 weeks. I don't doubt his passion for what he does and there are certainly plenty of satisfied customers, but for me, it wasn't a good experience and not cheap either. I haven't had this particular shoe resoled with Cheshire so can't compare directly but they did an excellent job on my old Miuras.

Its always worth getting back to me at the time if you're not happy, I can normally do something to work it out.

It sounds like you just got a thinner rubber than you were expecting. If you want something to be stiff I can put a stiff rubber on and it will be (unless I was out of stock at the time). Most peoples complaints with resoles are the other way around - a sensitive shoe getting clumpy as Chesire or FF tend to use thick 5mm rubber.
 torquil 15 May 2014
In reply to cb_6:

I think it really depends on what shoe you need resoling. (Obviously my opinion is totally biased but I've never found false claims get you very far.)

If you have anything with a downturn/hollow and you want to keep it that way then I'd say send it to me. Or if you have a nicely broken in shoe that just needs a new sole/edge to get you climbing at you limit again then send it to me.

However if you have a flat simple shoe and are not looking to climb hard in it, then CSR will be fine. He is cheap and if you have cheap shoe (i.e. less than £75ish) that needs the rand repair then its not really worth sending it anywhere else (inc. to me)

Torquil - Llanberis Resoles

torquil 15 May 2014
In reply to cb_6:

I should add I'm always happy to get feedback, positive or negative, as without I don't know if I'm doing something right or wrong. Most of the time what you read on UKC is valid, occasionally its not - I find a quick look at someones profile often tells you wether its an opinion to trust or not.

For example - one person who has complained on here about me before was doing so as he expected me to change the whole sole not just the front part - something that resolers haven't been doing since the '90s. This was on a pair of shoes dating back to the mid '80s. You wouldn't have know any of that from his post.

Excuse the coffee break rant - back to work now.

Fraser 15 May 2014
In reply to cb_6:

I've given up on resoling shoes, both from Cheshire and FF. Not that either are bad, it's more the fact that the shoes are never anywhere near as good as their original shape. As they're the one piece of equipment that'll improve your climbing, I don't skimp on getting new shoes when required.
In reply to Fraser:

> I've given up on resoling shoes, both from Cheshire and FF. Not that either are bad, it's more the fact that the shoes are never anywhere near as good as their original shape. As they're the one piece of equipment that'll improve your climbing, I don't skimp on getting new shoes when required.

I reckon the resoles from Llanberis resoles are as good as a new pair of shoes. If you don't wear through them at the toe before sending them off are much cheaper than a new pair too.

I too like to have a brand new pair of shoes for my hardest leads, but a resoled pair is perfect for down the wall, easy solos and longer routes.
 torquil 15 May 2014
> I too like to have a brand new pair of shoes for my hardest leads, but a resoled pair is perfect for down the wall, easy solos and longer routes.

Hi tom, I'd say that's a common misconception, if done well resoles can feel better, broken in but with new rubber.- to quote from feedback on my FB page :

"Hi Torquil - just to say thanks for the shoes you resoled for me in November. They are a fantastic job. I've actually been using them in preference to a new pair. Here they are in action on Pintoreta, 8c at Sella."

Now I'd be happy to climb 8c whatever I was wearing (magic boots?) but that is feedback I feel carries weight - (unlike the negative comments higher up this thread from someone who's hardest onsight lead in 20+ years of climbing is HS).

A lot depends on the state of the shoe before it gets done - resole them as early as possible and you'll have something that feels better than new. Leave shoes till they're tired-out old dogs and you'll have something fit only for training laps at the wall.

It also depends on the type of shoe - in general Sportiva's and Scarpa's hold their shape MUCH better than 5.10s and Evolvs. e.g. a worn through Katana lace resoles about as well as a nearly new Anasazi.
Post edited at 15:18
In reply to torquil:

Hmmm. I also noticed that the two people complaining about your resoles weren't very good at climbing.

The reason I like a new pair of shoes for my hardest leads isn't because I think the rubber is better than a resoled shoe, but because I find the fit is better. I have broad feet and find that by the time I have worn out a pair of shoes their uppers have stretched a lot. I have a pair of Anasazi's Velcros and a pair of Vapous laces (that you resoled) that I can both now wear socks with comfortably. When the shoes were new they were very tight.

That said I'm going to take my resoled Vapors as my only shoe to the Dolomites this summer.

Do you have any plans to start resoling Mountain Boots? My trangos could do with a Resole.
 torquil 15 May 2014

Everyone has different feet and fit that is for sure - I guess its the general notion that resoles are only good for easy routes that I have always been trying to challenge and change, and that I'm happy to be achieving.

As for mountain boots resoles, probably not, firstly as I'm already too busy, also it involves holding a lot of stock of different soles - with climbing shoes its just sheets I cut to size (except for Boreal rubber) with mountain boots its sole units sized to fit for each type of boot.

Enjoy the Dolomites, let me know if you get any good photos of you in the Vapors, I need some for a website re-vamp.

Scott K 27 May 2014
In reply to cb_6:
I have had rock shoes, leather shoes and boots done by Cheshire shoes and they have all been first class. I recently used Torquil to resole some vapour v and the work was excellent-fast turnaround and you can barely see where the join is. I sent the shoes before they were completely worn through so didn't need a rand. As some of the others have said, it's much cheaper than buying new shoes it's just unfortunate that they can't do anything about the smell!
I will definitely be using both these companies again.
Torquil, thanks for the great job and quick turnaround. Hope you enjoyed your holiday!

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...