UKC

Track and Trace now pointless

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 The Lemming 27 May 2020

You have Matt Hancock saying its your Civic Duty to follow the guidance to isolate if required.

You have Boris begging people to abide by the Lockdown and isolation once the Track and Trace goes live on Thursday.

And this, is all now just a pointless exercise because why should anybody follow this advice when the Prime Minister has allowed his most trusted friend/adviser to take a dump all over the nation's good will, and for hundreds of thousands of people that have had painful heart breaking weeks of not being able to see their loved ones as they died alone, and then rub our noses with blatant lies backed up by senior Tory politicians.

Even now Boris dare not speak his name on TV or in committee meetings.

This is a disgusting situation that the nation is in, and all the making of a spineless Prime Minister.

Post edited at 18:53
baron 27 May 2020
In reply to The Lemming:

Do you not think that you’re getting a little dramatic?

Why would people not use a tried and tested method (in other countries) to help keep your family, friends and others safe?

groovejunkie 27 May 2020
In reply to The Lemming:

Johnson’s contempt for the nation in a nutshell. The second video in the link is Yvette Cooper holding him to account for protecting Cummings over what is best for the nation. He turns it back on the rebel mps and the media. He doesn’t care about public opinion/what’s best for the nation and he will never sack cummings. 
https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/live/world-52815845

In reply to The Lemming:

And here is where the behaviour of Dominic Cummings matters.  He did what he wanted, so a system that relies on the public doing what they're told is dead in the water before it starts.

The second wave starts tomorrow, I'm afraid.

T.

groovejunkie 27 May 2020
In reply to Pursued by a bear:

Yup. And who’s gonna trust them enough to download the app? No one. 

OP The Lemming 27 May 2020
In reply to baron:

> Do you not think that you’re getting a little dramatic?

I don't think such a thing could be possible. And there is no hint of irony or sarcasm in that statement.

A precedent has now been set, showing that the Government Guidance to date is just that, guidance.

People can choose to follow or ignore it, with impunity.

baron 27 May 2020
In reply to The Lemming:

> I don't think such a thing could be possible. And there is no hint of irony or sarcasm in that statement.

> A precedent has now been set, showing that the Government Guidance to date is just that, guidance.

> People can choose to follow or ignore it, with impunity.

Hardly with impunity given the nature of the infection that we are fighting.

wintertree 27 May 2020

> The second wave starts tomorrow, I'm afraid.

Which if you were an advisor who through your flawed understanding of the medical evidence and your flawed understanding of a deeply flawed model, wants to pursue a herd immunity strategy, is actually quite handy.

groovejunkie 27 May 2020
In reply to wintertree:

> > The second wave starts tomorrow, I'm afraid.

> Which if you were an advisor who through your flawed understanding of the medical evidence and your flawed understanding of a deeply flawed model, wants to pursue a herd immunity strategy, is actually quite handy.

Especially if you and your untouchable adviser have had it and therefore “may” have some immunity. Bring it on right? 

In reply to baron:

> Hardly with impunity given the nature of the infection that we are fighting.

You are fighting a losing corner.

baron 27 May 2020
In reply to The Lemming:

> You are fighting a losing corner.

So are you really saying that because one man chooses to ignore the lockdown rules the rest of the country are going to follow him?

At least half the country couldn’t stand the man before he made the trip to Durham.

Possibly many more don’t like him now.

What magical powers does this man possess to make people ignore scientific advice and endanger themselves and others?
I certainly don’t plan to put myself or others in danger just because of his selfish actions.

1philjones1 27 May 2020

And this is where it gets really perverse. Yes, of course Cummings behaviour is disgraceful, he should pay a heavy price, and Johnson is the most spineless Prime Minister ever but...... and it’s a big but..... does that mean we should all disregard the public health messages that will protect our families, friends and everyone else? 

Some of the posts here seem a little bizarre in that they are (rightly) outraged at what Cummings did, but suggest everyone should now follow his lead, causing a massive second spike and thousands more unnecessary deaths.

KriszLukash 27 May 2020
In reply to baron:

> Why would people not use a tried and tested method (in other countries) to help keep your family, friends and others safe?

Today my local park was absolutely packed with people, many of them having gatherings.

I strongly suspect Cummings’ behaviour has had a massive psychological impact. People were already finding it hard to stick to the rules this was the nail in the coffin.

KriszLukash 27 May 2020
In reply to baron:

> So are you really saying that because one man chooses to ignore the lockdown rules the rest of the country are going to follow him?

Terrible leaders who don’t respect their own rules don’t usually get much compliance in return.

What is the reflex of terrible leaders once they have reached this stage ? They resort to coercion, fear and tyranny.

Post edited at 19:53
baron 27 May 2020
In reply to KriszLukash:

> Today my local park was absolutely packed with people, many of them having gatherings.

> I strongly suspect Cummings’ behaviour has had a massive psychological impact. People were already finding it hard to stick to the rules this was the nail in the coffin.

Of course the weather had nothing to do with it.

I’d guess that despite all the recent publicity, many people either haven’t heard of Cummings or don’t know what he did.

Cummings doesn’t have the amount of influence that some people believe.

Ciro 27 May 2020
In reply to 1philjones1:

> And this is where it gets really perverse. Yes, of course Cummings behaviour is disgraceful, he should pay a heavy price, and Johnson is the most spineless Prime Minister ever but...... and it’s a big but..... does that mean we should all disregard the public health messages that will protect our families, friends and everyone else? 

> Some of the posts here seem a little bizarre in that they are (rightly) outraged at what Cummings did, but suggest everyone should now follow his lead, causing a massive second spike and thousands more unnecessary deaths.

It's not a case of should, it's what a great many people will do. It's basic human psychology - we can handle loss of liberty better when we are "all in it together". Some will continue to observe the rules, others who are a bit closer to losing the will to continue will cross that line because they are scunnered. Life isn't fair, but we like to perceive a level of fairness.

KriszLukash 27 May 2020
In reply to baron:

> Of course the weather had nothing to do with it.

Absolutely nothing to do with the weather, we had equally good weather weather before and nowhere near that many people.

> I’d guess that despite all the recent publicity, many people either haven’t heard of Cummings or don’t know what he did.

Unless they live in a bunker they’ll know that the prime minister, who has asked them to make huge sacrifice, is protecting tooth and nail an adviser who broke the rule.

I don’t know what it is that Cummings knows for Boris to can’t afford to ditch him, but to be worth that much it has to be a good one.

> Cummings doesn’t have the amount of influence that some people believe

Do you like to cover yourself in ridicule or are you being ironic ?

baron 27 May 2020
In reply to Ciro:

There is, quite rightly, a huge anger amongst many people about Cummings actions.

To then use his actions as an excuse to endanger others sounds very bizarre to me.

baron 27 May 2020
In reply to KriszLukash:

> Absolutely nothing to do with the weather, we had equally good weather weather before and nowhere near that many people.

> Unless they live in a bunker they’ll know that the prime minister, who has asked them to make huge sacrifice, is protecting tooth and nail an adviser who broke the rule.

> I don’t know what it is that Cummings knows for Boris to can’t afford to ditch him, but to be worth that much it has to be a good one.

> Do you like to cover yourself in ridicule or are you being ironic ?

Do you blindly follow other people’s actions?

Because that’s what you think the population of England is about to do.

KriszLukash 27 May 2020
In reply to baron:

> To then use his actions as an excuse to endanger others sounds very bizarre to me.

Your understanding of human nature seems pretty limited. When leadership sends the signal that the rules are optional and can be bent then people will bend them.

groovejunkie 27 May 2020
In reply to 1philjones1:

> And this is where it gets really perverse. Yes, of course Cummings behaviour is disgraceful, he should pay a heavy price, and Johnson is the most spineless Prime Minister ever but...... and it’s a big but..... does that mean we should all disregard the public health messages that will protect our families, friends and everyone else?

Of course it doesn’t mean that and I sincerely hope the public will continue to do the right thing. But to be unashamedly unapologetic to the point of practically laughing in our faces with the cover up taking place, all to protect one man over the well-being of the entire nation is just staggering. If you want a get out clause to do what you like, the govt. just gave it to you. 

baron 27 May 2020
In reply to KriszLukash:

> Your understanding of human nature seems pretty limited. When leadership sends the signal that the rules are optional and can be bent then people will bend them.

Really?

Most people probably follow lockdown advice because it makes sense not because they are told to.

There’ll be exceptions of course.

KriszLukash 27 May 2020
In reply to baron:

> Do you blindly follow other people’s actions?

> Because that’s what you think the population of England is about to do.

They are not following Cummings action they are simply re-evaluating the lockdown rules as a being optional because that’s the message that being sent to them by the actions of Cummings and the prime minister.

KriszLukash 27 May 2020
In reply to baron:

> Really?

> Most people probably follow lockdown advice because it makes sense not because they are told to.

If you think all you need for people to follow rules is that they make sense, your understanding of human nature is more limited than I thought.

For your sake I would advise that you avoid any job in management or any other leadership position, because you might have a surprise.

Post edited at 20:09
 wintertree 27 May 2020
In reply to groovejunkie:

> Especially if you and your untouchable adviser have had it and therefore “may” have some immunity. Bring it on right? 

Although if you get the timing wrong and it looks like local hospitals are overwhelmed you might want to high-tale it to a distant province where things are a week or so behind.  

In reply to 1philjones1:

Much to agree with in your post.  For clarity

> but suggest everyone should now follow his lead

Suggest, no. Anticipate, yes.

T.

wintertree 27 May 2020
In reply to baron:

> So are you really saying that because one man chooses to ignore the lockdown rules the rest of the country are going to follow him?

No, but having cabinet member after cabinet member strongly imply that you’re a bad parent if you don’t put the needs - actual or largely hypothetical - of your child ahead of the rules just might.  

Post edited at 20:11
 rj_townsend 27 May 2020
In reply to The Lemming:

Oh for crying out loud, just because Cummings acted like an arse doesn't mean that the rest of us should, will or want to act the same. We're sounding like a bunch of whinging toddlers, outraged that some other toddler didn't get slapped. We need to grow up, stop whining and get on with making sensible decisions for ourselves, our families and our colleagues.

baron 27 May 2020
In reply to KriszLukash:

> If you think all you need for people to follow rules is that they make sense, your understanding of human nature is more limited than I thought.

> For your sake I would advise that you avoid any job in management or any other leadership position, because you might have a surprise.

As your now resorting to personal insults I’ll assume that you’re losing the argument.

baron 27 May 2020
In reply to wintertree:

> > So are you really saying that because one man chooses to ignore the lockdown rules the rest of the country are going to follow him?

> No, but having cabinet member after cabinet member strongly imply that you’re a bad parent if you don’t put the needs - actual or largely hypothetical - of your child ahead of the rules just might.  

Most people don’t like Cummings and didn’t vote Conservative.

They think that Cummings’ actions were wrong and that anybody supporting those actions is wrong as well.

Minister after minister has made a fool of themselves trying to explain Cummings’ behaviour, why would anyone change their behaviour because of this ?

1philjones1 27 May 2020

Totally agree

KriszLukash 27 May 2020
In reply to baron:

> As your now resorting to personal insults I’ll assume that you’re losing the argument.

I’m afraid not, I didn’t even need insults, you managed to cover yourself in ridicule in record time. It was beautiful.

Post edited at 20:18
baron 27 May 2020
In reply to KriszLukash:

> Im afraid not, I didn’t even need insults, you managed to cover yourself in ridicule in record time. It was beautiful.

More insults?

mondite 27 May 2020
In reply to baron:

> Minister after minister has made a fool of themselves trying to explain Cummings’ behaviour, why would anyone change their behaviour because of this ?

Because lots of people will have been rather inconvenienced by it.

They may have made hard decisions believing it was the right thing to do.

If the hard decision appears again they are likely to bear in mind the example of Cummings, who after all should be better informed than us, and decide it is okay to take a more relaxed attitude this time.

After all if it is safe for him to go back into work and drive to a completely different part of the country then why not me?

Why should I miss my dads birthday tomorrow when it was fine for Cummings to have a day out for his wifes? I will do but I cant blame others for taking Cummings approach.

KriszLukash 27 May 2020
In reply to baron:

> More insults?

On the contrary, I am just in awe, I’ve rarely seen someone digging a hole so fast.

baron 27 May 2020
In reply to mondite:

I am responsible for my own actions.

I don’t do something because someone tells me to or because they do it. 

If people want to endanger themselves and others they need to take responsibility for it and not blame someone else.
Given that most people are outraged at Cummings’ actions why do they want to do the same?

mondite 27 May 2020
In reply to baron:

> I don’t do something because someone tells me to or because they do it. 

Ok so how do you decide on those actions? Could it be because someone has just told you to do it?

> If people want to endanger themselves and others they need to take responsibility for it and not blame someone else.

You see this is the flaw in your thinking. The risk is primarily to others and they will be making the same assessment done by a senior advisor who, logically speaking, should be better informed than us.

So it is perfectly reasonable and sensible for anyone who doesnt simply follow orders to take into account who is giving the orders and whether they take them seriously or not. This really is psychology 101 so I am surprised you arent familiar with the concept.

baron 27 May 2020
In reply to KriszLukash:

> On the contrary, I am just in awe, I’ve rarely seen someone digging a hole so fast.

You seem to have acquired a large number of likes for your post so I’ll assume that I’m wrong and Cummings has succeeded in getting the population of England to abandon lockdown.

Niall_H 27 May 2020
In reply to baron:

It's not that he's one man choosing that, it's that he's the Prime Minister's primary adviser.  And that said Prime Minister won't even say that he might have done something wrong.  

The country aren't going to follow him - people are going to use his behaviour (and the fact that it's condoned by the PM) as an excuse to ignore restrictions.  

That's why both his and Johnson's behaviour is a problem: they're undermining the policy that's got us this far (to at least a declining dayly death-rate) and trust (such as it was) in the Government.  Which is a problem, since they're supposed to be running government, and implementing policy.

baron 27 May 2020
In reply to mondite:

> Ok so how do you decide on those actions? Could it be because someone has just told you to do it?

> You see this is the flaw in your thinking. The risk is primarily to others and they will be making the same assessment done by a senior advisor who, logically speaking, should be better informed than us.

> So it is perfectly reasonable and sensible for anyone who doesnt simply follow orders to take into account who is giving the orders and whether they take them seriously or not. This really is psychology 101 so I am surprised you arent familiar with the concept.

If it was only Cummings or Johnson telling me that lockdown was the right thing to do then I probably wouldn’t believe them.
But it’s many scientists and the UKC gang so I’m more inclined to believe them.

So your psychology 101 doesn’t really apply.

Are you planning to ignore lockdown because of Cummings?

KriszLukash 27 May 2020
In reply to baron:

> You seem to have acquired a large number of likes for your post so I’ll assume that I’m wrong and Cummings has succeeded in getting the population of England to abandon lockdown.

Did it occur to you that people are exhausted of making huge sacrifices for 9 weeks ? All they need to give up is a signal or an excuse and 
Boris/Cummings gave them both.

Yanis Nayu 27 May 2020

> And here is where the behaviour of Dominic Cummings matters.  He did what he wanted, so a system that relies on the public doing what they're told is dead in the water before it starts.

> The second wave starts tomorrow, I'm afraid.

> T.

I’m sure we need to be wary of a second wave, but I don’t think it’s a certainty that it would happen. There’s been no appreciable rise in cases  in countries that have eased lockdown, and there’s a school of thought that it’s burning itself out like SARS did in Asia.  Plus, I think even if the government released lockdown tomorrow, people’s behaviour will take a while to get back to normal, so viral transmission will be compromised anyway. 

jkarran 27 May 2020
In reply to baron:

> Hardly with impunity given the nature of the infection that we are fighting.

Relative impunity for most of us, by failing to take a stand on this he's just thrown the core Tory voter block to the dogs. After all it only kills the old and we'll get herd immunity. Right.

Johnson and Cummings deserve to be marched out of office in chains for what they did this week. What happens to them after that, I could no longer give a f*ck if the mob want them then so be it. For shame I wouldn't stand in their way. 

Jk

baron 27 May 2020
In reply to Niall_H:

I understand that Cummings has damaged people’s trust in the government. But fighting Covid isn’t about politics it’s literally a matter of life and death.

Ignoring lockdown just because Cummings did something wrong is no excuse at all.

If people are immature enough to use Cummings as an excuse they’ll possibly be breaking the rules anyway.

baron 27 May 2020
In reply to jkarran:

> Relative impunity for most of us, by failing to take a stand on this he's just thrown the core Tory voter block to the dogs. After all it only kills the old and we'll get herd immunity. Right.

> Johnson and Cummings deserve to be marched out of office in chains for what they did this week. What happens to them after that, I could no longer give a f*ck if the mob want them then so be it. For shame I wouldn't stand in their way. 

> Jk

I agree that Cummings and Johnson shouldn’t be part of the government but I can’t agree with the mob bit.

Robert Durran 27 May 2020
In reply to Yanis Nayu:

> There’s a school of thought that it’s burning itself out like SARS did in Asia.  

What does that actually mean? Unless the virus has mutated to become less infectious or unless there is some element of herd immunity, I can't see how a second wave would be any different from the first if people's behaviour is the same.

baron 27 May 2020
In reply to KriszLukash:

> Did it occur to you that people are exhausted of making huge sacrifices for 9 weeks ? All they need to give up is a signal or an excuse and 

> Boris/Cummings gave them both.

Many people would like lockdown to end but are sensible enough to see the potential consequences if it isn’t done gradually.

Are you planning on ignoring lockdown rules/advice/guidelines?

mick taylor 27 May 2020
In reply to baron:

I've learnt that when it comes do what the wider population do, then the UKC barometer is inversely proportional.  Too much hype on here, Cummings and Johnsons actions will not cause some form of mass rebellion about the lockdown and many will use the app.  Hopefully, the voters will remember this at the next election and lets hope the tory party gets well and truely shafted.

Post edited at 20:52
In reply to Niall_H:

> The country aren't going to follow him - people are going to use his behaviour (and the fact that it's condoned by the PM) as an excuse to ignore restrictions.  

So in other words they are going to follow him.........

It may be an excuse but it certainly isn't a valid one if the restrictions are there for good reason (and I see nothing to suggest that they are not).

In reply to baron:

> Are you planning on ignoring lockdown rules/advice/guidelines?

Maybe more people than you think are happy to reject the Lockdown. Its not as if they are ignorant of the virus and how it has spread all over the world and killed tens of thousands of UK citizens.

https://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/2020/05/25/beachgoers-cite-cummings-lockdo...

or this?

https://uk.yahoo.com/news/bank-holiday-street-party-moss-side-manchester-06...

Post edited at 20:55
 MG 27 May 2020
In reply to baron:

Why should I follow lockdown rules (or indeed the law generally) when the government doesn’t think it important? It’s much easier not too and won’t do me any harm.

Post edited at 20:56
baron 27 May 2020
In reply to The Lemming:

> Maybe more people than you think are happy to reject the Lockdown. Its not as if they are ignorant of the virus and how it has spread all over the world and killed tens of thousands of UK citizens.

I don’t doubt that people have and will ignore the lockdown.

It’s whether or not they’ll do so because of Cummings.

If most people on the beaches aren’t in the vulnerable/shielded groups will there be a dramatic rise in the death toll?

In reply to MG:

> Why should I follow lockdown rules (or indeed the law generally) when the government doesn’t think it important? It’s much easier not too and won’t do me any harm.

And this is precisely what Boris and Cummings are advocating.

Cummings just got a slight inconvenience from Covid 19. However the virus nearly killed Boris. And from watching him today on TV, it looks as thought Boris is still suffering from his brush with death.

Post edited at 21:00
 MG 27 May 2020
In reply to The Lemming:

Exactly. Maybe Baron has an answer to why I should inconvenience myself now.

In reply to baron:

> It’s whether or not they’ll do so because of Cummings.

There is just no getting through to you.

Think I'll go chat to that brick wall again.

In reply to MG:

> Why should I follow lockdown rules (or indeed the law generally) when the government doesn’t think it important?

To help prevent the spread of the virus. Do you think that is important?

baron 27 May 2020
In reply to MG:

> Exactly. Maybe Baron has an answer to why I should inconvenience myself now.

You know me I have an answer to everything.

SDM 27 May 2020
In reply to baron:

> Why would people not use a tried and tested method (in other countries) to help keep your family, friends and others safe?

Did you not see the scenes on VE day? Or the last hurrah before the pubs closed? There is a significant minority who do not care about the safety of others. Most of them probably don't think it will be them or their loved ones who will suffer the consequences.

Based on what I have heard on radio phone ins and seen on social media, there are a lot of people who will now use his behaviour and justifications to justify their own breaking of the regulations and advice.

It isn't logical or sensible for them to behave that way but it also isn't surprising.

MG 27 May 2020
In reply to Robert Durran:

> To help prevent the spread of the virus. Do you think that is important?

Me doing it won’t have much effect if others don’t. The government clearly doesn’t think it important 

Further, why should use track and trace and hand god knows what data over liars and charlatans to use In nefarious ways?

baron 27 May 2020
In reply to The Lemming:

> There is just no getting through to you.

> Think I'll go chat to that brick wall again.

What exactly are you trying to get through to me?

baron 27 May 2020
In reply to SDM:

> Did you not see the scenes on VE day? Or the last hurrah before the pubs closed? There is a significant minority who do not care about the safety of others. Most of them probably don't think it will be them or their loved ones who will suffer the consequences.

> Based on what I have heard on radio phone ins and seen on social media, there are a lot of people who will now use his behaviour and justifications to justify their own breaking of the regulations and advice.

> It isn't logical or sensible for them to behave that way but it also isn't surprising.

It surprises me, a little, to think that people will put their own safety at risk because somebody did something wrong.

Andy Hardy 27 May 2020
In reply to baron:

I think the far greater threat to maintaining a widespread lockdown will come from businesses, who will look at Cummings's actions and start pressuring the govt to release earlier than scientifically advisable. Once the MD starts saying "get back to work" the tubes and busses and trains will be packed and then we'll quickly end up back at square one

SDM 27 May 2020
In reply to baron:

> It surprises me, a little, to think that people will put their own safety at risk because somebody did something wrong.

When there is a relatively low probability of a negative event (death from Covid-19) occurring, people generally under-evaluate the risk of it happening to them. They assume it will be someone else's love ones who suffer.

It is selfish and stupid but there are plenty of selfish and/or stupid people out there.

mick taylor 27 May 2020
In reply to The Lemming:

I recall you going on about people eating Big Ice Creams and that was ef all to do with Cummings.  I hate the bloke as much as anyone, but good folk do the right thing and the dicks that choose to do the wrong thing would probably do so no matter what.

In reply to Andy Hardy:

> I think the far greater threat to maintaining a widespread lockdown will come from businesses, who will look at Cummings's actions and start pressuring the govt to release earlier than scientifically advisable. Once the MD starts saying "get back to work" the tubes and busses and trains will be packed and then we'll quickly end up back at square one

Cummings did nothing wrong. What was the phrase?

"Legal and proper"

Or something along those lines.

And as for legal and proper, there is no legal minimum for social distancing. If we follow Cumming's lead on this matter then it is  "Legal and Proper" to pack as many people into buses and tube-trains to go to work on a busy factory line. After all there is no legal reason to stop this.

Its legal, in the nation's interest to get the economy back up and running, and common sense because what harm can it do?

Obviously because all this is legal, it won't affect the r-number on infection rates of people transmitting the virus.

Boris and Cummings are endorsing such thoughts and deeds by their actions.

As I said before do not judge this government ob their words, but their actions.

In reply to mick taylor:

> I recall you going on about people eating Big Ice Creams and that was ef all to do with Cummings.

yes I was pissed off, while walking the dog where I live, to see over a thousand people around me milling about and some of which were eating ice creams as if nothing was wrong.

baron 27 May 2020
In reply to Andy Hardy:

> I think the far greater threat to maintaining a widespread lockdown will come from businesses, who will look at Cummings's actions and start pressuring the govt to release earlier than scientifically advisable. Once the MD starts saying "get back to work" the tubes and busses and trains will be packed and then we'll quickly end up back at square one

This is a possibility.

Although I can see the point of lockdown I do wonder how to ease out of it.

If the most vulnerable can be protected can everyone else go back to work?

Obviously there’s still a risk involved but I think that if I was 30, and not 60, I would probably be less inclined to follow a strict lockdown.

mick taylor 27 May 2020
In reply to The Lemming:

And your were right to be pissed off.  Up until the last week or so, I've been well stressed and it was getting to me.  I just reckon if we do get a second peak or mass disobedience then Cummings etc will have only has a small part to play.  I do have to have faith the good folk do the right thing.

In the spirit of Northern Soul, Keep The Faith.

BTW, if pressure keeps up I can see Cummings going: Johnson and his pathetic side kicks are getting a lot of pressure and may buckle.

In reply to mick taylor:

> BTW, if pressure keeps up I can see Cummings going: Johnson and his pathetic side kicks are getting a lot of pressure and may buckle.

Cummings will not go until Brexit is completed at the end of the year. Boris hasn't a fekin clue how to proceed and Cummings has all the secrets locked up in that Beanie head of his.

The country is screwed. In a game of "Top Trumps" then Brexit trumps a pandemic. In the eyes of Boris at least.

Post edited at 21:35
 jkarran 27 May 2020
In reply to baron:

> I agree that Cummings and Johnson shouldn’t be part of the government but I can’t agree with the mob bit.

Nor can I but then nor can I honestly say I'd stand in the way right now. I have nothing but disgust.

Jk

Niall_H 27 May 2020
In reply to baron:

> I understand that Cummings has damaged people’s trust in the government.

So we can both agree that he shouldn't have acted as he did?

squarepeg 27 May 2020
In reply to The Lemming:

Mistakenly looked at thread thinking was going to be about pros and cons of track and trace, I should have known better.

In reply to MG:

> Me doing it won’t have much effect if others don’t. 

That has always been the case. What has changed?

> The government clearly doesn’t think it important.

And you agree? 

> Further, why should use track and trace and hand god knows what data over liars and charlatans to use In nefarious ways?

To help contain the virus 

Snyggapa 27 May 2020
In reply to The Lemming:

Noticeably more people on the beach today in larger than family sized groups. Others came to join us for the first time since the lockdown, quoting 'fatherly instincts' and other cummingsesque phrases as justification. In my experience it is making a genuine difference to how people think and act. Straw that broke the camel's back, maybe

Danbow73 27 May 2020

So due to my circumstances the majority of sacrifices I have made have been for the greater good.

My natural response to this virus would not be to stay at home because the reality is me and my family would most likely be okay. 

I will continue to act in what my view is responsibly and If I do get symptoms I will quarantine  but if the government try to impose a second lockdown, f**k em. 

I know this might offend some but this is what we voted for. The evidence was there that this government were incompetent liars but we voted them in anyway. 

MG 27 May 2020

>  That has always been the case. What has changed?

The government no longer think it’s important, or are even able, to say what the rules are, or even were. They would rather keep one advisor on board and to hell with anything else.

Toerag 27 May 2020
In reply to baron:

> There is, quite rightly, a huge anger amongst many people about Cummings actions.

> To then use his actions as an excuse to endanger others sounds very bizarre to me.

There plenty of thick / selfish people in the country who will do so.  In every social media conversation about the virus you've got people demanding unlocking, you've got people blaming it all on 5G, you've got people saying it's not actually as harmful as people thought, you've got people saying the deaths from mental health issues will be higher, you've got the self-employed and business owners saying they can't survive more lockdown, the list goes on.

Yanis Nayu 27 May 2020

> What does that actually mean? Unless the virus has mutated to become less infectious or unless there is some element of herd immunity, I can't see how a second wave would be any different from the first if people's behaviour is the same.

Either of those things are possibilities - from what I gather it’s what happened with SARS. It’s peculiar that the rates of transmission in London are so low given the population density. Where I live I reckon I’d struggle to catch it if I tried. There’s been no new cases in my district for a week. 

Andy Hardy 27 May 2020
In reply to baron:

> This is a possibility.

> Although I can see the point of lockdown I do wonder how to ease out of it.

As far as I can tell, there are 3 options

1. Vaccinate enough people (18-24 months off minimum)

2. Effective testing, tracking, tracing and quarantine for those infected (expensive)

3. Let it rip, and screw the old, the weak, the poor and BAMEs

From their actions I'd say Cummings and Johnson favour option 3.

> If the most vulnerable can be protected can everyone else go back to work?

> Obviously there’s still a risk involved but I think that if I was 30, and not 60, I would probably be less inclined to follow a strict lockdown.

What about if you're 25, in a rented flat which you haven't had a rental holiday on (unlike those deserving mortgage holders) you're on a zhc and the boss says can you come in tomorrow?

In reply to MG:

> The government no longer think it’s important, or are even able, to say what the rules are, or even were. They would rather keep one advisor on board and to hell with anything else.

So you think that means we should all behave as badly as Cummings if it suits us?

In reply to Danbow73:

Sadly I have to agree with you; my only hope is that Drakeford manages the exit from lockdown in Wales better. Unfortunately he is unable to close the border and that may limit his options. 

baron 27 May 2020
In reply to Niall_H:

> So we can both agree that he shouldn't have acted as he did?

Yes, his behaviour was outrageous.

baron 27 May 2020
In reply to Andy Hardy:

> As far as I can tell, there are 3 options

> 1. Vaccinate enough people (18-24 months off minimum)

> 2. Effective testing, tracking, tracing and quarantine for those infected (expensive)

> 3. Let it rip, and screw the old, the weak, the poor and BAMEs

> From their actions I'd say Cummings and Johnson favour option 3.

> What about if you're 25, in a rented flat which you haven't had a rental holiday on (unlike those deserving mortgage holders) you're on a zhc and the boss says can you come in tomorrow?

If I was 25 I wouldn’t give a toss, I’d be straight into work and straight into the pub afterwards. Not because it’s the right thing to do but because at 25 I was invincible and knew nothing. Cue what’s changed jibes.

Except of course the pubs aren’t open, most of them anyway.

Removed User 27 May 2020
In reply to Toerag:

> There plenty of thick / selfish people in the country who will do so.  In every social media conversation about the virus you've got people demanding unlocking, you've got people blaming it all on 5G, you've got people saying it's not actually as harmful as people thought, you've got people saying the deaths from mental health issues will be higher, you've got the self-employed and business owners saying they can't survive more lockdown, the list goes on.

Just curious, are you saying that everyone on that list is "thick and selfish"?

jkarran 27 May 2020
In reply to baron:

> This is a possibility.

> Although I can see the point of lockdown I do wonder how to ease out of it.

> If the most vulnerable can be protected can everyone else go back to work?

No because protecting them becomes near impossible if the virus is rife, we don't know exactly who they are and it will be perceived to be unjust to confine some but not others long term, that is socially corrosive and it opens fissures into which new populist pricks will pour their snake oil and batter their wedges. Think brexit was divisive? 

> Obviously there’s still a risk involved but I think that if I was 30, and not 60, I would probably be less inclined to follow a strict lockdown.

That's the problem, Johnson just screwed you over. Again. If I get it you're at more risk, you're confined at home more and for longer, those of you needing to work can't or must risk your lives. 

Jk

Post edited at 23:24
In reply to Yanis Nayu:

>  Where I live I reckon I’d struggle to catch it if I tried. There’s been no new cases in my district for a week. 

That was because everybody abided by the Lockdown guidance thinking that any transgression was punishable by the authorities and the virus had nowhere to go once all the current hosts either died or recovered when people avoided people.

Now that the guidance has been demonstrated to have no legal teeth, because a high profile individual close to the PM, "Gamed the system" then the next lockdown will be futile because just enough people will ignore it to keep the virus circulating and finding new hosts to infect.

Post edited at 23:27
 thomasadixon 28 May 2020
In reply to The Lemming:

If all they do is drive to a river and sit there alone for a bit we’d be fine...and everybody did not abide by the guidance.  Lots of people went to others’ houses and stood outside the gates.  Lots of people went for walks with mates/family too, some driving to nicer places (allowed?  Always unclear, argued about on here).  Others (half the younger people I work with) moved back home, to a house with a garden, instead of staying in their city flats.  My neighbour kept looking after her grandkids, I know people at work who had the same.  All breaching the rules, but still much better for low transmission.

It’s gone on too long and people are getting fed up with it, that’s the real problem.

Toerag 28 May 2020
In reply to Removed User:

> Just curious, are you saying that everyone on that list is "thick and selfish"?

One or the other, apart from perhaps the mental health one where I've not seen the evidence so cannot be sure. I don't believe it to be true.

LeeWood 28 May 2020
In reply to thomasadixon:

Well said - the real damage of lockdown has now been documented - economic, social, domestic violence, child abuse, and worsening of basic health which further weakens natural immune resistance to any microbial attack. Along with the suppression of routine treatment of patients with other health problems.

The need to balance our fear and actions over coronavirus with the reality of other human needs is pressing  - and revision long overdue.

veteye 28 May 2020
In reply to The Lemming:

the next lockdown will be futile because just enough people will ignore it to keep the virus circulating and finding new hosts to infect.

That's if Professor Levitt in California is not correct. (He was the one who projected circa 50,000 deaths in the UK when Neil Ferguson was saying that the number could be as high as half a million). He reckons that the lockdown has made no difference to the number of deaths...

Harry Jarvis 28 May 2020
In reply to baron:

It is already being reported that people are using Cummings' actions to justify their own interpretations of the lockdown advice. Cummings' actions make it impossible for the police to implement any enforcement. 

https://www.theguardian.com/uk-news/2020/may/27/lockdown-violators-using-cu...

baron 28 May 2020
In reply to Harry Jarvis:

> It is already being reported that people are using Cummings' actions to justify their own interpretations of the lockdown advice. Cummings' actions make it impossible for the police to implement any enforcement. 

I’m sure that everyone who breaks the rules has an excuse for doing so.

Just because they give an excuse it doesn’t mean it’s the real reason for doing something.

Just ask Dominic Cummings.

Or maybe not.

Harry Jarvis 28 May 2020
In reply to baron:

> I’m sure that everyone who breaks the rules has an excuse for doing so.

> Just because they give an excuse it doesn’t mean it’s the real reason for doing something.

> Just ask Dominic Cummings.

> Or maybe not.

I have no idea what point you are trying to make. 

baron 28 May 2020

I was trying to say that while people might use Cummings as an excuse to break lockdown rules, that probably isn’t the real reason why they are doing it. It’s also a poor excuse given that most people think that he was wrong to do what he did.

Harry Jarvis 28 May 2020
In reply to baron:

I don't see the relevance of your point. It doesn't matter why people don't follow lockdown guidance. What matters is the fact that these guidance is now unenforceable, as a result of Cummings' actions. 

DancingOnRock 28 May 2020

Lots of “There could be”, “They might” etc. 

I don’t see a problem with people going to the river or driving to their country houses. 

We now know pretty well how it’s transmitted. Back in March we didn’t know about asymptomatic spread, people weren’t distancing themselves by 2m, they weren’t washing hands and they weren’t wearing face coverings. 

Transmission is happening in family units and in confined workplaces. 

People’s behaviour has radically changed, we now know how many people are likely to be infected and where they are. In March we had no idea of the level of infection and were seeing it accelerate. Very little was known about transmission. 

If people start congregating and having parties then that’s certainly not what Cummings did and they are actually breaking the law, not ‘gaming the system’.

baron 28 May 2020

> I don't see the relevance of your point. It doesn't matter why people don't follow lockdown guidance. What matters is the fact that these guidance is now unenforceable, as a result of Cummings' actions. 

There’s no doubt that Cummings’ actions have done serious damage to trust in the government.

However, why are we even having to use enforcement in a system which is designed to protect ourselves, our families and others?
Because some people can’t do what’s reasonably asked of them.

They’ll do whatever they want no matter what Cummings does.

As to being unenforceable, why is it?

joem 28 May 2020
In reply to The Lemming:

I think lockdown as a whole is in massive danger not because people think the rules don't need to be applied but because they feel that they can bend them to suit their own agenda, for example only seeing one parent at a time always seemed pointless people are less inclined to bother with this now i think. 

Track and trace is different as it feels more personal are you going to put your family friends and neighbors at risk by having contact with them if you're told that you are likely to have Covid-19 there are real and personal consequences to this where as not seeing people because there's a risk of it being around is more hypothetical than real for most people.

A bigger problem for track and trace is that no-ones going to download their bloody app.

Harry Jarvis 28 May 2020
In reply to baron:

> As to being unenforceable, why is it?

It is unforceable because the Prime Minister has given his approval to the actions of his senior advisor who has acted in a manner which has every appearance of going against the guidelines. Hence, those guidelines have been judged by the Prime Minister to be either unnecessary or to be sufficiently flexible as to allow a much wider range of behaviours that was previously judged to be acceptable. 

galpinos 28 May 2020

Why not? Dido Harding is sorting it. If there ever was a person I'd be happy to hand my personal data over to.......

mark s 28 May 2020
In reply to The Lemming:

Agree, its a joke now. 

A good amount of people will now do their best to do the opposite.  You cannot expect people to do as you say not as you do.

Cummings needs sacking for people to take this serious. 

He can foxtrot oscar as far as im concerned 

baron 28 May 2020

> It is unforceable because the Prime Minister has given his approval to the actions of his senior advisor who has acted in a manner which has every appearance of going against the guidelines. Hence, those guidelines have been judged by the Prime Minister to be either unnecessary or to be sufficiently flexible as to allow a much wider range of behaviours that was previously judged to be acceptable. 

But we agree that Cummings and Johnson were completely wrong in their actions, they shouldn’t have done what they did. People are calling for them to be sacked, jailed, handed over to the mob and getting their heads kicked in.

This is why I’m struggling to see why most people would use it as an excuse.

Especially when the consequences can be fatal.

mick taylor 28 May 2020
In reply to mark s:

> A good amount of people will now do their best to do the opposite. 

Interesting counter argument on five live this morning:  for some people doing the opposite (of Cummins) means following the rules. 

OP The Lemming 28 May 2020

> Hence, those guidelines have been judged by the Prime Minister to be either unnecessary or to be sufficiently flexible as to allow a much wider range of behaviours that was previously judged to be acceptable. 

You no longer need the euphemistic excuse of driving long distances to pretend to exercise. You can now blatantly lie into a police officer's face and say that you were testing your eyesight.

And during the next Lockdown you can book any holiday cottage in a picturesque location on Airbnb because you wanted to go somewhere safe for your child's health because where you live is dangerous and you may catch Covid 19 if you stayed put at home. Even if the child is aged 19, because in law that person is still a child.

Cummings has made all tenuous excuses acceptable so long as they are said with a straight face.

The illusianry bubble that the Lockdown restrictions were enforceable from Day One has burst and without government passing new emergency laws, that genie is out of the bottle and very few people will do their Civic Duty from now on.

Harry Jarvis 28 May 2020
In reply to baron:

> But we agree that Cummings and Johnson were completely wrong in their actions, they shouldn’t have done what they did. People are calling for them to be sacked, jailed, handed over to the mob and getting their heads kicked in.

> This is why I’m struggling to see why most people would use it as an excuse.

Because they want to go out and about and see their family and friends and enjoy themselves and stop restricting their activities, and whereas previously they thought the were doing the right thing by curtailing their activities, they now see that the guidelines they thought they were abiding by now have considerable greater flexibility that they had realised.

We know not everyone was abiding by the guidelines previously. The pool of people who now think it acceptable to interpret the guidelines to suit their own circumstances has increased. 

It's not a question of 'most'. It's a question of 'some', and as 'some' grows bigger, as it will, the lockdown guidelines become an inconvenient irrelevance. 

Robert Durran 28 May 2020
In reply to The Lemming:

> Cummings has made all tenuous excuses acceptable so long as they are said with a straight face.

As far as I can see, the vast majority of people don't think his excuses were acceptable. Anything but. So if the same people now make similar excuses to do whatever they want, it will simply show a staggering level of mass hypocrisy.

baron 28 May 2020

> Because they want to go out and about and see their family and friends and enjoy themselves and stop restricting their activities, and whereas previously they thought the were doing the right thing by curtailing their activities, they now see that the guidelines they thought they were abiding by now have considerable greater flexibility that they had realised.

> We know not everyone was abiding by the guidelines previously. The pool of people who now think it acceptable to interpret the guidelines to suit their own circumstances has increased. 

> It's not a question of 'most'. It's a question of 'some', and as 'some' grows bigger, as it will, the lockdown guidelines become an inconvenient irrelevance. 

If that’s the way people see the lockdown guidance then the system will indeed fail. One could be callous and say they’ll get what they deserve but unfortunately it won’t just be them that suffers.

Meanwhile, me, my family, my friends and my neighbours will continue to follow the lockdown advice, which has of course been much relaxed since Cummings’ trip, in order to try and protect ourselves and others.

Nothing to do with what Cummings did or what Johnson failed to do or the likelihood of enforcement but because it appears to the right and sensible thing to do.

Robert Durran 28 May 2020

> Because they want to go out and about and see their family and friends and enjoy themselves and stop restricting their activities, and whereas previously they thought the were doing the right thing by curtailing their activities, they now see that the guidelines they thought they were abiding by now have considerable greater flexibility that they had realised.

For all that his travels made a mockery of the guidelines, is anybody suggesting that Cummings didn't take social distancing measures during his travels? If people use Cummings' example as an excuse to irresponsibly resume their activities and social lives with no regard to social distancing, then we really are in trouble.

Graeme G 28 May 2020
In reply to baron:

Ultimately you’re saying that people will effectively doff their caps and do as expected, despite their grumps and groans? 

Sadly, I think you’re probably right. Regardless of the actions of our leaders, who can always be replaced, we need to recognise that by ignoring their actions and doing the right thing we can hopefully keep as many of us alive as possible.

Ian W 28 May 2020

> As far as I can see, the vast majority of people don't think his excuses were acceptable. Anything but. So if the same people now make similar excuses to do whatever they want, it will simply show a staggering level of mass hypocrisy.

And the vast majority will still abide by the rules, but it is a slightly less vast majority. And the second problem is that there is now no sanction against those who have and will continue to flaunt the rules anyway; DC's interpretation of the rules, which has been supported by pretty well everyone in the cabinet, has undermined the authority of the police to do their job, as the interpretation of every police force in the country has been found to be flawed. There were numerous discussions on here and elsewhere about what the police were supposed to do and their interpretation of the law / guidance / advice, and this has shown from the very top that they were all wrong.

Harry Jarvis 28 May 2020

> As far as I can see, the vast majority of people don't think his excuses were acceptable. Anything but. So if the same people now make similar excuses to do whatever they want, it will simply show a staggering level of mass hypocrisy.

Not really. People didn't think his excuses were acceptable because of their understanding of the guidelines. They have now been told that their previous understanding was wrong and that there is more flexibility in the guidelines, so they will be happy to adapt their behaviour according to any new interpretation and understanding they ma wish to come up with. It is now a free-for-all. 

Harry Jarvis 28 May 2020
In reply to baron:

> Meanwhile, me, my family, my friends and my neighbours will continue to follow the lockdown advice, which has of course been much relaxed since Cummings’ trip, in order to try and protect ourselves and others.

> Nothing to do with what Cummings did or what Johnson failed to do or the likelihood of enforcement but because it appears to the right and sensible thing to do.

Which is good and as it should be. Sadly, there will be those who don't follow your sensible approach. 

DancingOnRock 28 May 2020
In reply to The Lemming:

>And during the next Lockdown you can book any holiday cottage in a picturesque location on Airbnb because you wanted to go somewhere safe for your child's health because where you live is dangerous and you may catch Covid 19 if you stayed put at home. Even if the child is aged 19, because in law that person is still a child.

You can’t because those places are closed by law. 

I think what has been demonstrated here and has been evident since the beginning of lockdown is:

The guidelines are, and always have been, advisory. They are guidelines on how to interpret the law. The law is the law. 

It’s up to the individual to work out if they are acting within the law, and if their interpretation is different to the police then they’re likely to get fined. If they want to contest that fine, that option has always been available. 

Post edited at 10:43
baron 28 May 2020
In reply to Graeme G:

> Ultimately you’re saying that people will effectively doff their caps and do as expected, despite their grumps and groans? 

> Sadly, I think you’re probably right. Regardless of the actions of our leaders, who can always be replaced, we need to recognise that by ignoring their actions and doing the right thing we can hopefully keep as many of us alive as possible.

I’m not sure that doffing their caps is the right description but yes, in this case, we need to ignore the bad example set by many in the government and do what we can to protect ourselves and others.

baron 28 May 2020

> Which is good and as it should be. Sadly, there will be those who don't follow your sensible approach. 

Agreed.

Graeme G 28 May 2020
In reply to baron:

> I’m not sure that doffing their caps is the right description

Can you sense my frustration? 

baron 28 May 2020
In reply to Graeme G:

> Can you sense my frustration? 

I can not only sense it but share it as well.

In reply to The Lemming:

Seen the latest Tory Poster?

jkarran 28 May 2020
In reply to baron:

> But we agree that Cummings and Johnson were completely wrong in their actions, they shouldn’t have done what they did. People are calling for them to be sacked, jailed, handed over to the mob and getting their heads kicked in.

More accurately I said to my shame I would not stand between the pair of them and an angry mob. I'm that disgusted by them and the risks they've totally selfishly taken with public health and prosperity, they've made this situation nearly impossible to manage. 

Jk

deepsoup 28 May 2020
In reply to The Lemming:

Well said!

Also, on an unrelated note - woo, look at you go!  Hard to believe this post is the work of the same Lemming that used to post a link to something controversial and just say "discuss" without being willing to stick your neck out and express an opinion of your own.  Found your voice now, good on you.

In reply to deepsoup:

Aww, Thank You.

I'm blushing now.

baron 28 May 2020
In reply to jkarran:

Apologies for misquoting you.

I was too lazy to search for the exact words you used.

Sorry.

LastBoyScout 28 May 2020
In reply to The Lemming:

It's one of my neighbour's birthday today.

They've had some friends round at their house earlier this afternoon and earlier this evening, I've heard them singing happy birthday with same friends, who have come back again, and another of our neighbours families - I think that's 12 people from 3 houses in the same house!

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...