UKC

Today at the Test

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 the sheep 10 Aug 2011
Wednesday start so dont get caught napping.

England win the toss and decide to bowl.
 GrahamD 10 Aug 2011
In reply to the sheep:

No excuses for Ravi in this one. Also a good opportunity to see Bell at number 3 for a full match.
OP the sheep 10 Aug 2011
In reply to GrahamD:
Strong batting line up on paper for India today. Will have to see how they cope.
OP the sheep 10 Aug 2011
In reply to the sheep:
Sehwag gone 8-1
 Chris the Tall 10 Aug 2011
In reply to the sheep:
Good start - England batting by tea ?
fijibaby 10 Aug 2011
In reply to the sheep: ...and off we go!
Tim Chappell 10 Aug 2011
In reply to Chris the Tall:

Could be a two-day test at this rate
Tim Chappell 10 Aug 2011
In reply to Tim Chappell:

Draco has them in all sorts of horrible, horrible trouble... so has Jimmy.
In reply to Tim Chappell: It had better last until at least Tea on Saturday as I am going
Tim Chappell 10 Aug 2011
In reply to Graeme Alderson:

So who's in next?

Oh yes. Tendulkar.
fijibaby 10 Aug 2011
> (In reply to Tim Chappell) It had better last until at least Tea on Saturday as I am going

Answers my "will it last till sunday?" question. I'll save my money.
fijibaby 10 Aug 2011
In reply to fijibaby: I thought I'd put the mockers on then. Well done Bresnan.
OP the sheep 10 Aug 2011
In reply to fijibaby:
Gambhir gone, 58-2
OP the sheep 10 Aug 2011
In reply to the sheep:
Tendulkar gone for 1
In reply to the sheep: Sachin gone
 stonemaster 10 Aug 2011
In reply to fijibaby: 3-65 after 23 overs!! Come on England!
In reply to stonemaster: Dravid gone
OP the sheep 10 Aug 2011
75-4, fantastic stuff
 Matt250 10 Aug 2011
In reply to the sheep: Raina can't bat in these conditions and neither can Dhoni. India have got a proper tail too so all out for 170.
 lowersharpnose 10 Aug 2011

Fancy coming over for a BBQ on Saturday afternoon?
In reply to lowersharpnose: If it finishes early I might pop over to the Bullring and get myself a new telly
 stonemaster 10 Aug 2011
In reply to Matt250: Doesn't sound far wrong... hurrah!
Tim Chappell 10 Aug 2011
In reply to stonemaster:

I wish TMS would shut up about whether this is the best England side of all time. Such questions

(a) are completely unanswerable: who knows how they'd have done against the 1980 W Indies pace attack, or on a bumpy pitch at Old Trafford in 1910?

(b) are not really very interesting. I don't care whether or not they're better than some bunch of people from long ago. I just want them to thrash Australia, with a comprehensiveness that scars the Ozzie psyche for decades to come, as soon as possible. (Compared with the Ashes, everything else is a warm-up as far as I'm concerned.)

(c) have more than a smidge of English triumphalism about them, and we all know where English triumphalism gets us-- bottom of the class in double-quick time.
 stonemaster 10 Aug 2011
In reply to the sheep: Sorry, almost forgt, ta for the heads up, did think it was to start tomorrow...duh.
 stonemaster 10 Aug 2011
In reply to Tim Chappell: Can't agree more. Totally unnecessary. Yup, the Cons need thumping properly, especially when they are down....
OP the sheep 10 Aug 2011
In reply to stonemaster:
Raina gone
 stonemaster 10 Aug 2011
In reply to the sheep: Yay!!!
Tim Chappell 10 Aug 2011
In reply to stonemaster:

Will India make 150? I'm not convinced they will, on this pitch against this attack.
OP the sheep 10 Aug 2011
Bye bye Laxman!
 Offwidth 10 Aug 2011

100 for 6 ... good time for a punt on an india win as the odds usually get silly at times like these. Can't lose either way then
Tim Chappell 10 Aug 2011
In reply to the sheep:

OK, prediction: 148ao, some time round about tea.
 Alex@home 10 Aug 2011
In reply to the sheep:

dammit i didn't know it was a wednesday start and now it looks like i've missed almost half the match.
it's good to see we seem to have got the idea of keeping a team down now - just like the aussies used to do to us. let's hope we can keep the core of this team and the attitude until the next ashes
 Hat Dude 10 Aug 2011
In reply to the sheep:

The Indian team seem to just want to get out of Birmingham as quickly as possible!

Perhaps they've got a tip off about more rioting
In reply to the sheep:
7 down, but they are starting the swing the bat. Could be a re-run of the last test ?
OP the sheep 10 Aug 2011
The tail does appear to be wagging.
 lowersharpnose 10 Aug 2011
In reply to the sheep:

Yep, four overs now without a wicket.
Tim Chappell 10 Aug 2011
There goes my prediction-- 150 up.
 GrahamD 10 Aug 2011
In reply to the sheep:

Dhoni isn't supposed to be the tail, though ! Sounds like an entertaining IPL style innings at the moment.
 Alex@home 10 Aug 2011
In reply to the sheep:

this from cricinfo:

"Just woke up here in California and saw the score: Sehwag 0, Sachin 1. This shows what I have believed all along, that Sachin is an infinitely better batsman than Sehwag in English conditions." Good stuff, Mac
OP the sheep 10 Aug 2011
In reply to Alex@home:
Needed that one!
 Matt250 10 Aug 2011
In reply to the sheep: Dhoni out. 1 left.
OP the sheep 10 Aug 2011
In reply to Matt250:
Very much needed that one.
In reply to the sheep:
Finally Dhoni goes - fine innings of 77, 224-9
OP the sheep 10 Aug 2011
All gone for 224
Tim Chappell 10 Aug 2011

Well, I was right about it finishing round about tea <blush>
Tim Chappell 10 Aug 2011

Right. Now we need 450, min. Time for Strauss to come to the party methinks.
In reply to the sheep:
All very similar to Trent Bridge, but you can't see India repeating England's performance

Lets hope Cook can rediscover his form - we could do with a solid base here, last thing we need is to see Ravi batting tonight !

Erm - I said England would be batting by tea, and I was under an hour out.

You said it would be all over in two days....
 Simon 10 Aug 2011

Cooky and Strauss riding their luck ATM - Strauss needs a good score on this track - the weather will be a factor tomorrow when the ball will swing about a bit... If India get a few wickets in this session then things could be interesting...
 stonemaster 10 Aug 2011
In reply to Tim Chappell: Strauss gets his 50! ...at last...well done, that man
OP the sheep 11 Aug 2011
In reply to stonemaster:

Right then whats the weather like over that way. Looks grey and set in Leicester way
 stonemaster 11 Aug 2011
In reply to the sheep: Stat delayed to 1130. Friday forecast not much better. At this rate, it may yet be a drawn Test (let's hope not)...
fijibaby 11 Aug 2011
In reply to stonemaster: Blue skys in Worcester, TMS seemed reasonably confident there would be a days play.
 lowersharpnose 11 Aug 2011
In reply to fijibaby:

Sun out at Edgbaston according to the Beeb.
In reply to stonemaster: At this rate we will definately get play on Saturday - which is good
 Chris the Tall 11 Aug 2011
Stop doing your raince dance !

100 up
OP the sheep 11 Aug 2011
Boycott is somewhat scathing of the Indian Fielding.
In reply to the sheep:
Let me guess - his mother could do better !
OP the sheep 11 Aug 2011
How did you guess......
 stonemaster 11 Aug 2011
In reply to the sheep: Cook gets his 50.
OP the sheep 11 Aug 2011
In reply to stonemaster:
Strauss has gone on 87.
In reply to the sheep: Strauss out to a no ball.
OP the sheep 11 Aug 2011
228-1, we are now ahead
Tim Chappell 11 Aug 2011

Much better from Strauss. I tend to think 50 is par for an opener-- if he gets plenty of half-centuries that's OK. Centuries are icing on cake, half-centuries are their job.
At this rate England will be looking to declare around tea tomorrow, so you might just get to see a session on Saturday
Tim Chappell 11 Aug 2011

Boycott has just said to Blowers "My father was a coal miner". Blowers was, understandably lost for words. His father was a land-owner in Norfolk, and went to Eton with Ian Fleming.

The great thing about TMS-- every part of the English nation is represented on the commentary team.

Apart from women, of course <cough>
In reply to Tim Chappell: Ton up for Cook
 tony 11 Aug 2011

Swiftly followed by Bell's dismissal.
In reply to Graeme Alderson: And Bell gone 252-2
Tim Chappell 11 Aug 2011

<runs with the ball because no one else takes it up...>

What ladies should be on the TMS commentary team?

My first nominations would be

--Frances Edmonds
--Rachel Heyhoe-Flint

and (if she likes cricket she'd be just the ticket) Sandi Toksvig
Tim Chappell 11 Aug 2011

<keeps puffing along>

Definitely not that annoying shouty glib Alison Mitchell woman they have on sometimes. If she asks one more sports player "How important was it to you that... ?" I shall... I shall... I know not what things I shall do, but they shall be the terror of the earth.

Any interviewer who asks a generic "How did it feel?" question is a lazy, embarrassing, twunt.
Tim Chappell 11 Aug 2011
In reply to lowersharpnose:

Indeed. Alison Mitchell is a star exponent of the braindead style of question which is actually a none-too-brief lecture to the sportsperson on his/ her performance, only with a slack question-mark tacked on the end.

BBC's trackside athletics man, Phil Jones is terrible for it. Utterly vacuous and toe-curlingly limited repertoire.

337/2.

Strauss is slow to declare, 600+?
fijibaby 11 Aug 2011
In reply to lowersharpnose: 600+
Is that the figure at which you think Straus will call it a day, or the figure England will reach because Straus won't declare?
Both equally possible.
In reply to fijibaby:

Declare at 600+.

I don't see Strauss declaring at e.g. 520-4.
fijibaby 11 Aug 2011
In reply to lowersharpnose: Amazing ain't it? An England team, playing India, and we're talking about England declaring at 600!
> (In reply to Graeme Alderson)
>
> <runs with the ball because no one else takes it up...>
>
> What ladies should be on the TMS commentary team?
>
> My first nominations would be
>
> --Frances Edmonds
> --Rachel Heyhoe-Flint
>
> and (if she likes cricket she'd be just the ticket) Sandi Toksvig

Lily Allen. She was on during the Ashes and was pretty intersting, although Aggers was a bit cringemaking. But she'd be great next to Boycs - they'd just rip into each other! Particularly after he admitted being a Katy Perry fan !

KP starting to go through the gears, maybe hoping to get his ton tonight. Which would mean he'd join Strauss and Cook on 19 test centuries, just 3 behind the English record (Boycs again, amongst others). And 32 behind Sachin !
> (In reply to fijibaby)
>
> Declare at 600+.
>
> I don't see Strauss declaring at e.g. 520-4.

How many overs need to played on Saturday to avoid paying refunds ? I wonder if someone from the ECB will have a quiet word.

I still reckon it won't be down to runs, more a desire to have a short session to get a couple of wickets on Friday evening.

Ideally, India will have a few wickets left for Saturday. That way Graeme has to travel all the way down to watch a foregone conclusion for an hour or two.
whoops, put the mockers on KP !

374/3

400 for 3 great stuff
Kipper 11 Aug 2011
In reply to fijibaby:

> (In reply to lowersharpnose) Amazing ain't it? An England team, playing India, and we're talking about England declaring at 600!

The question we should probably be asking is "Is it worth playing this lot again?".

jackcarr 11 Aug 2011
In reply to the sheep:

India are shit. Yeah they're missing their best bowler, but the rest of their attack is so innocuous. Except the much celebrated top/middle order they have nothing worth speaking about because their fielding is atrocious too, village at times.

With a weak WI, Pakistan, Australia, a Murali-less Sri Lanka and the Indian batsmen the wrong side of 35, we could dominate world cricket for years. From every other country, I'm claiming there's only a few players I'd take in the England team, Steyn and batsman or two.
fijibaby 11 Aug 2011
In reply to jackcarr: I liked Frank Skinner's comment today that you could reverse our batting order and still fancy our chances!
It's a shame India are playing so badly. It's taken a bit of the fun out of it, certainly the batting. Still, as somebody else said, all other teams are warm up for the Aussies. To dominate them in this way would be flippin brilliant.
Kipper 11 Aug 2011
In reply to jackcarr:
>
> India are shit. ... their fielding is atrocious too, village at times.
>

Quite correct; they've just dropped Morgan (again, I think?).
In reply to fijibaby:
> Still, as somebody else said, all other teams are warm up for the Aussies. To dominate them in this way would be flippin brilliant.

Winning 3-1 away from home including 2 innings defeats and all sorts of records broken was pretty much domination. It WAS flippin' brilliant

fijibaby 11 Aug 2011
In reply to Graeme Alderson: Yeah, fondley remembered! What I mean by dominate the Aussies is to go totally over the top, the sort of beating administered by the Brad Pitt/Ed Norton character in Fight Club. A sort of "oh steady on" total defeat.
It will make up for the many years of England being so rubbish.
In reply to fijibaby: I like your way of thinking. A 5-0 drubbing in 2013 would be quite nice - must remember to buy tickets for the 2nd and 3rd days though instead of the 4th day that I normally do
 thin bob 11 Aug 2011
In reply to the sheep: some really lovely shots & well -tempered batting..
I simply cannot believe the Indian team..what's going on? they just seem to be spectating . 'Only' three missed catches on the highlights..and all of a sudden, it's 400-up!! WTF?
 Horse 11 Aug 2011
> (In reply to fijibaby) A 5-0 drubbing in 2013

It would do for starters but to really dominate we'd have to keep sticking it to 'em like that for 10 or 15 years home and away.
Kipper 11 Aug 2011
In reply to Horse:
> (In reply to Graeme Alderson)
> [...]
>
> It would do for starters but to really dominate we'd have to keep sticking it to 'em like that for 10 or 15 years home and away.

I saw something quite interesting on an Indian forum today :-

Cook = Sachin, knows how to build test innings, run machine for England
Strauss = Gambhir, limited ability but mentally very tough players
Trott = Sanga/Dravid, Mr. Consistent
KP = Sehwag, he kills for opposition, crowd entertainer
Bell = Amla/Laxman/Mahela. Pleasing to eyes, great technique
Prior = Gilchrist, can be very dangerous with bat, good WK
Bresnan = Kapil Dev, bowls heavy ball, bats decent, good timer of ball
Broad = Once-in-a-generation player, who can change a game at the drop of a hat with bat and ball and also field
Anderson = Zaheer Khan with much better fitness, makes best of home conditions
Swann = Vettori, handy player motivates team decent bat, doesnt leak runs when not taking wickets like our Darthbhajan
Tremlett = Tank, Great Khali, sorry unable to compare with cricketers of this era.

and they have Panesar, Finn, Bopara, Morgan in reserve who are miles better than our reserves.

All players are in mid 20s or early 30s, very young side. They can dominate for at least 5 years.
Tim Chappell 11 Aug 2011
In reply to Kipper:

We've still got Bopara, Prior, Bresnan, Broad in the hutch.

And India are awful just now, they've gone completely to pieces.

So I reckon we've got a choice. We can get to 600 by tea-time morrow, declare, and finish a day early. Or we can can bat till close of play tomorrow, be all out for 730ish, and then take two or one and a half days to take them apart.

The only flaw I can see in this plan is that even if we do end up 730ao, India might still not last two days.

There's hybris for you. If that doesn't tempt the lightning bolts I don't know what will
Kipper 11 Aug 2011

The more I read on the Indian forums, the more interesting it gets (there is also talk of Cook going for Lara's record, and breaking the highest score - 950 something by Sri Lanka?).

A recent favourite - before this series started :-

i was just thinking ... i mean how can we lose a Test match with this kind of a batting lineup..

sorry it is the obvious, but has there EVER been a better batting lineup?

Sehwag. (Match-Winner)
Gambhir. (Top-Class)
Dravid. (The Wall)
Sachin. (God)
Laxman. (Very Very Special)
Rohit/Yuvi/Kohli/Raina (they could ALL make the test lineup for ANY other country)
Mahi. (cant say he's a great test batsman, but still he is Dhoni)

how can a bowling lineup take 20 wickets, when this kind of a batting lineup is out their?..

fijibaby 11 Aug 2011
Oh, post us a link! I'd like to know what Indian fans think. I have a feeling I know exactly how they feel. Boycott was pretty scathing at the end of the day.
Kipper 11 Aug 2011
In reply to fijibaby:
> Oh, post us a link! I'd like to know what Indian fans think. I have a feeling I know exactly how they feel. Boycott was pretty scathing at the end of the day.

http://www.indiancricketfans.com/forum.php

Bellie 11 Aug 2011
In reply to the sheep: Just looking at the century tables. Cook on 19, Strauss on 18 and Pietersen on 18, and all three capable of going on for a few years - even Strauss for a bit yet. It looks like three members of the same team could be up there at the top or thereabouts soon enough. Quite a feat.
 The New NickB 11 Aug 2011
In reply to the sheep:

Are England really good, or India really bad? I am in mixed minds about this, India are still officially the best test side in the world and ODI world champions, they didn't achieve that by luck, but they look just awful.
Kipper 11 Aug 2011
In reply to The New NickB:
>
> Are England really good, or India really bad? I am in mixed minds about this, India are still officially the best test side in the world ...

I think England are better than what should be a good Indian (batting) side.

The 'Test Rankings' seem to move in strange and slow ways - India appear to have got to No. 1 without playing England and Australia very much.
 Matt250 11 Aug 2011
In reply to the sheep: England are really good. The only way I can see the team improving is playing with 5 bowlers occasionally so the team has the flexibility to change between 4 and 5 bowlers depending on conditions.

I think the Indian batting lineup has been making the most of flat wickets in the subcontinent for a while. While Dravid/Sachin/Laxman are really good players with excellent techniques the wickets probably have allowed them to play on past there sell by date. I think Sehwag is overrated and a proper flat track player. Hes probably the best flat track player ever but he can't play pace, bounce, swing or seam movement. The series would have been closer with Zaheer in it though, hes definitely Indias most important and irreplaceable player at the moment.
 Chris the Tall 12 Aug 2011
In reply to Kipper:
> (In reply to The New NickB)
> [...]
>
> I think England are better than what should be a good Indian (batting) side.
>
> The 'Test Rankings' seem to move in strange and slow ways - India appear to have got to No. 1 without playing England and Australia very much.

I thought everyone played a home and away series against everyone over a four year period. It's just that we play 5 match series against the aussies and only 2 against bangladesh.

Want to know why India were No 1, look at the career stats of Sachin, Dravid, Laxman, Sehwag et al. This was a truely great side, but perhaps stopped the new blood coming through and is now well over the hill
Kipper 12 Aug 2011
> (In reply to Kipper)
> [...]
>
> I thought everyone played a home and away series against everyone over a four year period.

I think you're right - but I gave up trying to work out how the rankings are calculated (particularly when I noticed that England top the T20 rankings ).

Interestingly, England have 4 bowlers in the top 10 and Bell and Trott are at 4 and 5 in the batting rankings.

In reply to Kipper:
> (In reply to Chris the Tall)
> [...]
>
> I think you're right - but I gave up trying to work out how the rankings are calculated (particularly when I noticed that England top the T20 rankings ).
>
England are the world champions !

I know how tennis rankings work and got a fairly good idea of Duckworth Lewis, but the cricket rankings are a mystery to me. However they do appear to be fairly accurate, which is more than can be said for the FIFA rankings
 GrahamD 12 Aug 2011
In reply to Matt250:

Englands batting looks really good but I still think the bowling lacks variation or real shock value on flat wickets, and lacks any decent back up spin option. I mean someone who can fire in the 95mph yorker a la Shoib a few years back or get really aggressive like Stein did to us in the last test against SA.
In reply to GrahamD:
Are we refering to the same bowling attack that has bowled out India for under 300 in 5 successive innings, and has dismissed both Australia and SSri Lanka for under 100 in the last 8 months

And lets not forget that this India side which is suddenly looking like Bangladesh whitewashed Australia at home last autumn, before drawing a series away in South Africa. There is a reason why they were number 1.

If I had to pick a fault with this England side, it would be the lack of alternative bowling options. The bowlers have clearly been practicing their batting - 3 of the 4 can be considered allrounders, but maybe the top 6 should reciprocate by improving their bowling. All we ever see is the odd, brief, unthreatening spells by KP and Trott. If one bowler gets injured during the game we'd be in trouble, 2 and we'd be completely stuffed.
 Horse 12 Aug 2011

According to the BBC website play can continue today till 1827 with an option to 1857 depending on overs. There reference is to time not the England score.
In reply to Horse:
Cook gets his 200

Seem to going a bit slow this morning, but maybe they'll open up a bit now.
Bellie 12 Aug 2011
In reply to Chris the Tall: Cook up to 200. Not sure of the stats, but wondering how many England batsmen have made 200 in an innings over the last few series. I can recall a few now, and thats not happened much in my memory - kind of makes up for all that late eighties - early nineties rubbish.
In reply to Bellie:
> (In reply to Chris the Tall) Not sure of the stats, but wondering how many England batsmen have made 200 in an innings over the last few series.

5 in the last year (Cook 2, KP 2, Trott) and a futher 17 centuries

Not only that, but 503 is only England's 6th highest score in that time - how often did they make 500+ is the 80s or 90s ?

7 and 8 respectively - oh the fun you can have with Cricinfo's statsguru !
 Simon 12 Aug 2011

What should we declare on? (Lead now 300)

Does Cook want to go for a monster score?

How long to bowl India out?

More importantly will Aldo get any cricket tomorrow? ;0)
Bellie 12 Aug 2011
In reply to Chris the Tall: Cool stats! I remember when it was form to get out the very minute you made a hundred, and 'daddy' hundreds as Gooch calls them were a rare thing. There was a time when 280 was a par score for England.
Bellie 12 Aug 2011
In reply to the sheep: Cook about to surpass the entire Indian team total.
In reply to Simon:
Declare - not yet, I stick with my prediction of around 5pm, regardless of the score.

Definetly let Morgan get his ton and Cook beat his top score - 235.

At some point the real India will turn up - but probably not in this match !

Aldo ? ALDO ? How dare you besmirch the name of the great man by linking him to that geordie !
 alanw 12 Aug 2011
In reply to Bellie:
> (In reply to Chris the Tall) Cool stats! I remember when it was form to get out the very minute you made a hundred, and 'daddy' hundreds as Gooch calls them were a rare thing.

Really? I seem to recall hearing about some Aussie called Bradman that was partial to the odd double century.

I think Cook should go for Len Hutton's highest score by an Englishman of 364 or, why not, Lara's 400.
Bellie 12 Aug 2011
In reply to alanw: Sorry I should have said England of a certain era. The occasional big hundred, but quite often they were a bit knackered after getting to a century. In my early days of watching England at any rate.
Bellie 12 Aug 2011
In reply to Bellie: ... or they used to run out of partners.
In reply to Bellie:

They are off for "bad light" !!!!

No power for floodlights????
 alanw 12 Aug 2011
In reply to Bellie:
> (In reply to Bellie) ... or they used to run out of partners.

Indeed!

Rubbish about the bad light.
 Martin W 12 Aug 2011
Quite like the caption to the photo at the top of the Guardian's OBO coverage of today's play: http://www.guardian.co.uk/sport/2011/aug/12/england-india-third-test-live
 Tony the Blade 12 Aug 2011
In reply to Martin W:

Extras is having a great game, currently on 61*
In reply to Bellie:
Yep, the day of England players getting out as soon as they get a ton are well behind us !

Bopara gone (lbw)! So much for his resurgence.

Cook for 300 then declare?
In reply to Tony the Blade:
Oh no, a mid-order collapse, at this rate we might struggle to reach 700!
> (In reply to Tony the Blade)
> Oh no, a mid-order collapse, at this rate we might struggle to reach 700!

Catastrophic! Typical bloody England, just when you think they're playing well, they cave in!
Clauso 12 Aug 2011

Call me the eternal optimist, if you must, but I've a hunch that we might edge this test.
Bellie 12 Aug 2011
In reply to Chris the Tall: Oops! ; )
In reply to Clauso:
How can you be so confident - the lead is still under 400
In reply to Clauso:
>
> Call me the eternal optimist, if you must, but I've a hunch that we might edge this test.

Getthef*ckoutofhere! I ain't hearing no fat burd singing jus' yet!
 alanw 12 Aug 2011
> (In reply to Martin W)
>
> Extras is having a great game, currently on 61*

Yes, there's a reasonable chance that extras could outscore the whole of the Indian team in the first innings.

Has anyone ever worked out what extras career average is? Not too many hudreds I'd guess but not too many ducks either.

From the TMS site...

"Alastair Cook will be told he'll have time after tea to break Graham Gooch's 333 and then they'll look to declare, but then they might be tempted to let him beat Len Hutton's 364. He could go on and on."
In reply to alanw:
> Has anyone ever worked out what extras career average is?

Yep, it's easy

How often has extra been "out" ? Never, therefor average is infinite !

> Not too many hudreds I'd guess but not too many ducks either.

HS of 76 (Pak vs Ind 2009)

This is joint 13th on the list
 Rampikino 12 Aug 2011
In reply to the sheep:

http://stats.espncricinfo.com/ci/content/records/283966.html

England moving steadily up this list.
 Rampikino 12 Aug 2011
In reply to the sheep:

Just levelled our 644 score against Aus over the winter and still climbing.

Keep going I say - keep going!!
 Rampikino 12 Aug 2011
In reply to the sheep:

61st best innings in Test Cricket ever.
I can see him getting to 300, but the pace is a bit slow to go further if we want to put India in tonight, and I certainly think we want 15-20 overs at them tonight
 alanw 12 Aug 2011
> (In reply to alanw)
> [...]
>
> Yep, it's easy
>
> How often has extra been "out" ? Never, therefor average is infinite !
>
That made me laugh - should have realised. I think a more reasonable answer would be got by assuming they're always out.

We need them to take the new ball though - then we'll whack 'em all over the park!
 Philip 12 Aug 2011
Cook for 341 as a minimum. Just to make it really humiliating for India as that would be the highest score of a batsmen against them (Sanath Jayasuriya got 340 in 1997)
 Rampikino 12 Aug 2011

In all seriousness, I'm happy to see them bat through until the first hour of tomorrow. The weather isn't going to be sunny and bright this weekend and the best part of two days should be enough to turn them over. Let the boys bat and bat and bat - let a truly great modern batsman get waaaay past 300 and send out a message to the cricketing world (if ever it was needed) that this England team isn't just good but is hungry and capable of toying with the number one team in the world and then swatting them like a fly.
 Rampikino 12 Aug 2011
In reply to the sheep:

This is England's 6th highest innings score of all time, by the way. 3 of the best were in the 1930s, one was 1985 and one was 1990.

Rampikino 12 Aug 2011
In reply to the sheep:

England's highest ever score against India now, by my reckoning. 656-6

4th highest innings for England in all tests.
 andy 12 Aug 2011
In reply to Rampikino: 666-6. Symetrical, eh? Hope they have a bowl tonight.
 GrahamD 12 Aug 2011
> (In reply to GrahamD)
> Are we refering to the same bowling attack that has bowled out India for under 300 in 5 successive innings, >

I'm not denying their effectiveness under swinging conditions. Just worried what will happen in Pakistan, or Sri Lanka when it isn't swinging.

I would like to see an express bowler option somewhere. I agree with alternative options. Probably ought to throw Bell the ball now and again.
Clauso 12 Aug 2011
In reply to GrahamD:

"WE WANT OUR MONEY BACK!" roar the punters packed into the Eric Hollies Stand. Leading the chorus? A drunk cardinal, Pamela Anderson, a woman dressed as a carrot, three Oompa-Loompas and a human whoopee cushion.
In reply to Clauso:

700 reached with a six from Bresnan

ALC
In reply to a lakeland climber:

Cook out for 294, what a knock
In reply to Christheclimber:

You always feel for a batsman when they are in their X90's and get out, that next ton is so close

ALC
In reply to the sheep:
Fantastic innings

And now 10 overs to knock over a couple of wickets
 andy 12 Aug 2011
In reply to Chris the Tall: If the umpies let 'em out...
 LiamDobson 12 Aug 2011
In reply to andy: gone for a duck could be all over tonight
Tim Chappell 12 Aug 2011
In reply to LiamDobson:

What an incredible game. I haven't done a whole lot of work today, and you know what, I'm not even feeling guilty about it
In reply to LiamDobson:

Jeez! I was looking at the Beeb site, then here and Sehwag goes for a king duck!! When was the last time that happened to an opening batsman?

ALC
In reply to a lakeland climber:

Only the 13th king pair in test cricket, dunno about openers.

ALC
 lowersharpnose 12 Aug 2011

If England had batted a bit worse, they could well have got a few more Indian wickets today.

As it stands you get the chance of watching an England get nine wickets for atest victory tomorrow.

Have a good time.
Tim Chappell 12 Aug 2011

What will you be wearing? Got your Pamela Anderson outfit back from the dry-cleaners?
 lowersharpnose 12 Aug 2011

Graeme's love of cricket runs in the family.

Graeme's father in his youth (on the left), outside a his schools' regular derby fixture.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/chezdc/5075925297/
In reply to lowersharpnose: Me dad used to cycle to the Test matches when he was a lad, not bad considering he lives in Sunderland and the nearest test ground was Leeds!!!

He will be at Edgebaston tomorrow but isn't going by bike.
 Swirly 12 Aug 2011
In reply to a lakeland climber: One of the previous 12 was a Bangladeshi opener, the others were all bowlers.
 Simon 13 Aug 2011
> (In reply to Simon)

>
> Aldo ? ALDO ? How dare you besmirch the name of the great man by linking him to that geordie !

...hmm I never did quite say that Christopher!

but then Liverpool are Playing the Sunderland this weekend!

Gra will see the wickets and the goals tumble I guess! ;0)
In reply to Simon: Chris is a woolyback not a scouser so Aldo for him means the height of Tranmere's success, which is not getting relegated for 3 whole seasons on the trot.

And of course beating us in the FA Cup by having 12 players on the pitch. Aldridge wasn't the most numerate manager I guess.

That'll teach you to call me a Geordie you psuedo-Scouse
 Fat Bumbly2 13 Aug 2011
In reply to Graeme Alderson: Dravid gets (the) runs. Two down already this morning.
In reply to Fat Bumbly2:

Going well for England - 87 for 5 and it's not time for lunch yet.
Maybe Tendulkar can get some runs to make it more interesting.
 Horse 13 Aug 2011

His biggest problem might be running out of partners.
In reply to Horse:

Tendulkar is run out...........
Tim Chappell 13 Aug 2011
In reply to Horse:
> (In reply to Christheclimber)
>
> His biggest problem might be running out

You're not wrong there.

Now I'm feeling a totally un-Ashes-like emotion. I'm feeling sorry for the opposition...

I blame Andrew Strauss. With two days to go, he shouldn't have declared till lunchtime today. And he should have given his players strict instructions to be nice to Sachin till his ton was up
 Bulls Crack 13 Aug 2011

Play fair but don't feel sorry for them - this is the new ruthless England!

Hardly Strauss's fault here - Tendulkar was moving forward as Swann bowled and was out of his crease when the ball ricocheted off Swann's fingers on to the wicket. Most batsmen do this and get away with it even though they should stay in their crease until the ball is delivered or struck.

Very unlucky all the same.

ALC
 Horse 13 Aug 2011

Could be all done and dusted by the time the rugby kicks off.
In reply to Horse:

An Indian work colleague thinks they'll be lucky to last two sessions! Once Dhoni goes then the tail doesn't have much wag.

ALC
fijibaby 13 Aug 2011
In reply to the sheep: I'm feeling sorry for them too. It really has been a woeful Indian performance.
I want to see what England are really like. What are our bowlers like on a baked Aussie wicket?
 saggers 13 Aug 2011
In reply to Horse:

That's what I'm hoping!
 Rampikino 13 Aug 2011
In reply to the sheep:

I'm not feeling sorry for them at all. The Indians put so much into the IPL that they have lost some sight of what Test Match Cricket is all about and England have come racing up on their outside to take a firm lead. India won't even be 2nd in the world rankings very shortly - more like 3rd or 4th.

Crush them. Whitewash them. Sympathy won't make you ruthless.

Clauso 13 Aug 2011
In reply to Rampikino:

Betfair are offering in-play odds of 999/1 for India to take this test... Who's in with me?
Clauso 13 Aug 2011
In reply to Clauso:

14:30 India 205-7

Eight men dressed as WWII pilots, arms outstretched, run along the bottom of a stand. A burglar in stripey jumper and mask, chased by 15 policeman waving inflatable truncheons. 12 penguins, waddling at pace in the other direction. Lord Boycott sounds like a man experiencing a nightmarish trip. "Imagine the kids!" he bellows. "A grown man leaves 'is 'ouse in the morning, dressed oop in a blond wig and a skirt. What do they think?"
 Simon 13 Aug 2011
In reply to Clauso:

Shame on England not wrapping this up in time for Jude & Bri's party and Bournemouth vs Sheffield Wednesday - fine them their match fee I say!

;0)
 Simon 13 Aug 2011
In reply to Simon:

Taa daaa! Hallelujah shouts blowers - it had to be him to say the imortal words "England world number one!"

only 7 minutes late!

;0)
 Steve John B 13 Aug 2011
In reply to Clauso:
> (In reply to Clauso)
>
> Lord Boycott sounds like a man experiencing a nightmarish trip. "Imagine the kids!" he bellows. "A grown man leaves 'is 'ouse in the morning, dressed oop in a blond wig and a skirt. What do they think?"

That was very funny, he sounded genuinely horrified.
Chris Ellyatt 13 Aug 2011
In reply to the sheep:

England win by an innings and 242 runs, fantastic!

Chris
 Horse 13 Aug 2011
In reply to Steve John B:

Aggers winding him up over the Champagne moment was also amusing.
Clauso 13 Aug 2011
In reply to Horse:

Right, so that's that taken care of... Now for The Hype to turn over the Taffs.

... Turned out nice again?
 Horse 13 Aug 2011
In reply to Clauso:

Henson already departed with a limp wrist, hopefully it won't effect his performance in The Bachelor on C5.
fijibaby 14 Aug 2011
In reply to Horse: England number one. Tiddly om pom pom.
 Chris the Tall 14 Aug 2011
In reply to fijibaby:

> I want to see what England are really like. What are our bowlers like on a baked Aussie wicket?

I seem to remember they did bloody well

It's a pity we have to wait a year till we play the saffers, the only side who have managed as much as a series draw against the current England team. Mind you, that was quite early on in the flowers-Strauss era, and England have just got better and better. It not just the consistency of winning, but consistently winning by a huge margin that has amazed me
In reply to Chris the Tall: Everyone's a bit quiet today. I wonder why
 Chris the Tall 14 Aug 2011
I was out all day yesterday - spent more on my mountain bike than India did at the crease - in both innings - so missed it all. Pity cos I could have really done with a day listening to tms
 GrahamD 15 Aug 2011

England may be number one now, but this poor effort by India is bad for world cricket - and especially test cricket. The game needs the support of the Indian public.
fijibaby 18 Aug 2011
In reply to GrahamD: Anyone following the test today?
Are India, freed from the pressure of winning just, going to enjoy it, and slog our bowlers all around the park? Or are they going to be so depressed and tired they collapse for a record breaking low?
Tim Chappell 18 Aug 2011
In reply to fijibaby:

Neither of those, I think, but more of the latter than the former.

I think there's a danger England will take their foot off the gas, even if they don't mean to. I think they should have rested Anderson and anyone else who looked the slightest bit tired, and brought in some hungry reserves.

This might be a draw, though if I had to bet I'd bet on an England win.
OP the sheep 18 Aug 2011
In reply to fijibaby:
I do hope we see bit of a fight back from the Indians, they are on paper a very good side and its a shame they just haven't turned up.
 chrisbaggy 18 Aug 2011
In reply to the sheep: Ive got tickets for the last day so hoping for rain all day today to help it get to 5th day :p
fijibaby 18 Aug 2011
In reply to chrisbaggy: England in to bat. Hopefully India will perk up a bit. There have been too many hands in pockets in the Indian field recently. Obviously never had my sports teacher!
OP the sheep 18 Aug 2011
In reply to fijibaby:
First delivery wide down leg, is this the starter for the buffet?
 Rampikino 18 Aug 2011
In reply to the sheep:

The first session could well set the scene for the whole test - if India are up for it they will come out firing, if not they could have a very long 5 days.
 Chris the Tall 18 Aug 2011
In reply to fijibaby:
> (In reply to GrahamD) Anyone following the test today?

You should have started a new thread !
fijibaby 18 Aug 2011
In reply to Chris the Tall: Recycling
 Al Evans 18 Aug 2011
In reply to chrisbaggy:
> (In reply to the sheep) Ive got tickets for the last day so hoping for rain all day today to help it get to 5th day :p

Do they just give you your money back?
 mcdougal 18 Aug 2011
In reply to Al Evans:

They give you a full refund if you manage to see less than 10 overs or a 50% refund if you see between 10 overs and 25 overs IIRC.
OP the sheep 19 Aug 2011
In reply to mcdougal:
Cook gone in the first over.
 Al Evans 19 Aug 2011
In reply to the sheep: And now Strauss after taking all morning getting 2!
 Rampikino 19 Aug 2011
In reply to the sheep:

Interesting test for England - they have always had someone to come along and get them a nice chunky innings, and backed up by reasonable scores from the rest of the team they have (apart from 1 innings) generally been able to cumulatively notch up a good innings score.

Slow run rate, but they can make up overs today and through the rest of the test, so not too much time lost. England should still have 400+ on their minds.
 GrahamD 19 Aug 2011
In reply to Rampikino:

Exactly the sort of test both England and India need. Good consistant bowling and the need to stick to basics with the bat. Its good to see England not just lashing out.
 Rampikino 19 Aug 2011
In reply to the sheep:

51-2 in the morning session of 2 hours

30-0 in the 30 mins since lunch
 Rampikino 19 Aug 2011
In reply to GrahamD:
> (In reply to Rampikino)
>
> Exactly the sort of test both England and India need. Good consistant bowling and the need to stick to basics with the bat. Its good to see England not just lashing out.

Agreed, but if India aren't careful in this session then it could become the start of the lashing.
OP the sheep 19 Aug 2011
In reply to Rampikino:
Just tuned in again and KP gets 50.
 Simon 19 Aug 2011
In reply to the sheep:

Important session this as England need to build a total for the Indians to chase on a batting wicket. Pieterson as usual playing boldly but with a dash of rash!

Spinners will come into this match and if the Indians have to bat last - be interesting to see Swanny get a five for...
psd 19 Aug 2011
In reply to the sheep:

Bell and Pietersen are starting to take this away from India, aren't they? India won the first session today, but unless they get two or three wickets before tea we'll have to chalk this up as a return to normality.
 GrahamD 19 Aug 2011
In reply to psd:

Bell and Pietersen bat well together, I think.
 Rampikino 19 Aug 2011
In reply to GrahamD:

Partnership of 122 and a major acceleration after lunch. I think India could be looking at a deficit of 350+ by the close of play if they don't grind out some wickets.
psd 19 Aug 2011
In reply to GrahamD:

I think they do these days, but a few years ago Bell seemed to struggle when Pietersen was at the crease - I got the impression it was because Bell thought he had to keep the other end solid so that there was no chance of two wickets going down quickly (his own and Pietersen's) but that this mucked about with his own natural balance between attack and defence. Bell now seems to be in a completely different mind-set from his early career, and the contrast between their styles plays havoc with bowlers.
 Rampikino 19 Aug 2011
In reply to the sheep:

Century for Bell and KP well set too.

Closing in on 300 with only 2 wickets down. What started as a good day for India could become a nightmare. My prediction of 350+ at the end of the day is starting to look a bit light. Could easily surpass 400.
 stonemaster 19 Aug 2011
In reply to Rampikino: Century for KP. Hurrah....
 Rampikino 19 Aug 2011
In reply to the sheep:

Only KP would come out after lunch on 98 and wallop the first ball for 4 then get dropped next ball. Typically him.

310-2 now looking very ominous for India. This morning I was hoping for 400+ as a first innings total, now that would look disappointing. 500+ should be the aim and not have to bat twice.
 stonemaster 19 Aug 2011
In reply to Rampikino: Agree. (crosses fingers)
psd 19 Aug 2011
In reply to GrahamD:
> (In reply to psd)
>
> Bell and Pietersen bat well together, I think.

In the last year, according to the Guardian, Bell and Pietersen have batted together just five times. In those five occasions the lowest partnership was 70, the remaining four have all exceeded a century.
 JayK 19 Aug 2011
In reply to the sheep:

I like Bell at number 3. Where does Trott come back into the team? Is 5 too high for Trott? I really think Trott would be a great opener. He gets into his own stride so well, whatever age the ball is. Maybe move Strauss to 5? Outrageous....
psd 19 Aug 2011
In reply to JimmyKay:

300 partnership now - probably not worth noting that this partnership have now accumulated more runs together in this match than the entire Indian team in any one of their last six innings...
fijibaby 19 Aug 2011
In reply to psd: Agree with the nature the Bell KP partnership. They seem to be a good pair. KP seems to be trying out new shots now.
And 2 sixes off Bell! "must be seeing the ball like a football"
fijibaby 19 Aug 2011
In reply to fijibaby: Caught and bowled. My fault.
psd 19 Aug 2011
In reply to fijibaby:

Oh FFS - Anderson out as nightw*tchman to see out the last 15 minutes and steady the ship...
 stonemaster 19 Aug 2011
In reply to fijibaby: Yes it IS!!!!.... Well, actually clever bowling and a bit of too much gung ho from KPm according to cricinfo. The Indians are not quite dead and buried yet.
 stonemaster 19 Aug 2011
In reply to psd: Oh well, the Cons would have done something very similar. No need to expose Morgan at this time. Modern game and all that.
psd 19 Aug 2011
In reply to stonemaster:
> (In reply to psd) Oh well, the Cons would have done something very similar. No need to expose Morgan at this time. Modern game and all that.

I presumed they'd just promoted him above Bopara...
 stonemaster 19 Aug 2011
In reply to stonemaster: Whew, can breathe now. Anderson and Bell still in. 457/3 at stumps. Roll on tomorrow...
 stonemaster 19 Aug 2011
In reply to psd: Hmm, good point.
 Chris the Tall 19 Aug 2011
In reply to the sheep:
Anyone getting bored of all this record breaking ?

No, me neither ! Another stunning day for England as they go for the whitewash against a side who must be completely demoralised.
 stonemaster 19 Aug 2011
In reply to Chris the Tall: Not at all, sir, not at all...
 Al Evans 20 Aug 2011
In reply to Chris the Tall: I'm actually quite sad for the Indians, they must be completely demoralised, they come here as the best team in the world and go home looking like a poor version of Bangladesh.
psd 20 Aug 2011
In reply to Al Evans:

To add to the general air of gaiety, the Australians have published their report into their cricket team and noted that 'basic cricket skills are lacking in key areas':

BATTING for long periods, batting against the moving ball, our approach to playing spin and general batting technique in some instances.

BOWLING; building pressure, bowling to an agreed plan, spin bowling and the captaincy of it and swing bowling, including generating reverse swing.

FIELDING; overall fielding, especially catching, and general athleticism has markedly declined. This has extra significance as in the panel's view fielding standards reflect the attitude and professionalism of the team.

OVERALL approach; building batting and bowling partnerships and general game sense, match awareness and cricket expertise, including solving problems during a match

Having read this list, it's perhaps time to be charitable to our Australian friends - can anyone suggest anything that their test team *can* do?o
 Chris the Tall 20 Aug 2011
In reply to stonemaster:
> (In reply to psd) Oh well, the Cons would have done something very similar. No need to expose Morgan at this time. Modern game and all that.

I thought the cons didn't believe in using a nightw*tchman ? Mind you it's yet another example of England's attention to detail that even the poorest batsman has his niche role.

I doubt if he'll hang about for long this morning - get the bit hitters in and try and reach 650 by tea and declare on that
 Rampikino 20 Aug 2011
In reply to the sheep:

Shreesanth tries to look menacing, but with that haircut he just looks like a stroppy teenager.
fijibaby 20 Aug 2011
In reply to the sheep: After so many days watching England break records and look so solid; what went so wrong at the world cup? I notice England are playing Ireland in a one day match soon. Surely there can be only one result?
In reply to fijibaby: 591/6 at lunch

Declare now or have another hour? Probably the latter, but I'm sure we'll see India batting before tea
 ksjs 20 Aug 2011
In reply to Chris the Tall: Am I alone in finding Michael Vaughan's commentary / views smug, self-satisfied, presumptious and disproportionately and naively positive in terms of England's performance, on a team and individual level, current and future?

Looking good for England some great bowling after tea however I can't help feeling sorry for India..................
>
> Looking good for England some great bowling after tea however I can't help feeling sorry for India..................

some great cricketers being made to look like they should be in a village side. not getting much luck with injuries either. but hey, that's the nature of sport and it's great to see an English side being so dominant at any sport. Despite the amount of time lost to the rain England could still wrap this up with a day to spare

psd 20 Aug 2011

The Guardian suggests that Sehwag has managed to score at a rate of a run a ball so far this series. Unfortunately he's only faced 8 balls and been dismissed 3 times...
 Al Evans 21 Aug 2011
In reply to psd: First wicket of the morning falls to Anderson, Dhoni out 137/6
Tim Chappell 21 Aug 2011
In reply to Al Evans:

218 for 6 at lunch. A bit of a recovery. I was thinking they might be following on by 2pm.

I suppose they still might be.

Mishra out. 224-7
Tim Chappell 21 Aug 2011

I forget-- how much do India need to avoid the follow-on?
 andy 21 Aug 2011
In reply to Tim Chappell: 200 less than England. Doubt they'll get it now - Singh gone.
 andy 21 Aug 2011
In reply to andy: Blimey - they made 300 for the first time.

But no more...

All out for 300. Well played Dravid - awesome stuff.
 Alan Taylor 21 Aug 2011
In reply to andy: Follow on being enforced
 andy 21 Aug 2011
In reply to Alan Taylor: 220 behind, 8 wickets left. Another innings victory?
 Al Evans 22 Aug 2011
In reply to andy: 7 to get down today, for certain they won't lose, but it could always rain
 Chris the Tall 22 Aug 2011
In reply to Al Evans:
Morning Al - apparently virtually no risk of rain.

Could be the day that Tendulkar finally makes his mark. Reckon England may have to bat again, briefly, and it will be all over around tea
 Al Evans 22 Aug 2011
In reply to Chris the Tall: Agreed, I reckon England to win by 9 wickets.
PS Tranmere were jammy
 lowersharpnose 22 Aug 2011

Ideally, Tendulkar to make his 100 and England still win.
In reply to lowersharpnose: 50 up for Sachin
Tendulkar makes his 50, India looking quite solid for the first time in the series. Not only is he looking at his 100th internation ton, he could be the first man to 15000 test runs. No Englishman has even got to 9000
Lets hope england can do something with the new ball, no luck in the morning session, and even the nightw*tchman is still there
OP the sheep 22 Aug 2011

Mishra gone at last.
Finally a breakthrough - Misra out for 84. 262/4 - may have done enough to save the game
 Simon 22 Aug 2011

Sashin is a lucky lucky man!

Saved the test I reckon!
Tendulkar out !!!
OP the sheep 22 Aug 2011
In reply to Simon:
Tendulkar gone for 91
 Simon 22 Aug 2011
In reply to Simon:

well he was lucky...

Out for 91!
 GrahamD 22 Aug 2011
In reply to Simon:

Game back on all of a sudden.
 Postmanpat 22 Aug 2011
In reply to Simon:
> (In reply to Simon)
>
>
> well he was lucky...
>
> Out for 91!

Sorry, my fault. Went next door to see him get his 100 on TV. Out next ball

psd 22 Aug 2011
In reply to the sheep:

India may well have saved the game here, sadly for England, but there's still a slight glimmer of hope. Why did the real India decide to turn up on a pan-flat Oval pitch?
In reply to the sheep:
Raina out now - Swann suddenly doing the business
psd 22 Aug 2011

42 balls for a pair - is that the worst batting performance of all time?
In reply to the sheep:
Dhoni gone, into the tail now 269/7
In reply to Chris the Tall: 269 for 8 now - still 22 behind
And now Singh, Broad takes 2 in a over. Will they make England bat again ?
 GrahamD 22 Aug 2011
In reply to psd:

The wheels are coming off for India now.
In reply to GrahamD:

I thought India were going to pull off a draw but it should be all over before tea.
In reply to Christheclimber: 274 for 9?
In reply to Graeme Alderson: Reviewing the possible catch - not out

Sharma survives
In reply to Christheclimber: 5fer for swann, 275-9 now

> Could be the day that Tendulkar finally makes his mark. Reckon England may have to bat again, briefly, and it will be all over around tea

My prediction at 10:48 is looking pretty good !

In reply to Chris the Tall: Apart from us having to bat again
I did say "may" !

The whitewash is complete
OP the sheep 22 Aug 2011

All over, innings and 8 runs
 GrahamD 22 Aug 2011
In reply to the sheep:

Ian Bell MOM ? what about man of the series - Broad ?
 Kimono 22 Aug 2011
In reply to the sheep: i bet india are very relieved its not a 5 test series!

now, how about the one-days? Similar result??
In reply to kieran b:
> (In reply to the sheep) i bet india are very relieved its not a 5 test series!
>
> now, how about the one-days? Similar result??

Doubtful. No idea why, but England are still well short in ODIs. They couldn't carry over the ashes form to the ODI series in Australia

The fact that India are so depleted should help matters, but they are probably still marginal favourites.
 GrahamD 22 Aug 2011

I doubt it as well. England don't seem to get their starting pace right with the bat.
psd 22 Aug 2011
In reply to psd:
> (In reply to the sheep)
>
> India may well have saved the game here, sadly for England, but there's still a slight glimmer of hope. Why did the real India decide to turn up on a pan-flat Oval pitch?

For my next trick, I shall pronounce that Ravi Bopara will never make an international quality all-rounder...

*crosses fingers*

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...