UKC

Honeymoon in the Lake District

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 My Gravity 28 Jan 2013
If you had a week to spend in the Lake District for a honeymoon, where would you go and where would you stay?

boots 28 Jan 2013
In reply to My Gravity: Randy pike outgate nr hawkshead...
 BelleVedere 28 Jan 2013
In reply to My Gravity:

the wish list

ODG
Drunken Duck
Blacksail YHA
A tent somewhere highup

now i just need to find a victim... err husband

Brass Nipples 28 Jan 2013
In reply to BelleVedere:
> (In reply to My Gravity)
>
> the wish list
>
> now i just need to find a victim... err husband

You could always go no a practise honeymoon
 Brass Nipples 28 Jan 2013
In reply to My Gravity:

Probably Eskdale or one of the less busy western areas. For Eskdale you've got the Eskdale - Ravenglass railway as well. Another option is to stay out on the Cumbrian cost somewhere.
 The New NickB 28 Jan 2013
In reply to BelleVedere:

I stayed in the NDG this weekend, never been a fan as a pub, but it is actually a much nicer hotel than the ODG.
 Edradour 28 Jan 2013
In reply to BelleVedere:
> (In reply to My Gravity)
>
> the wish list
>
> ODG
> Drunken Duck
> Blacksail YHA
> A tent somewhere highup
>

Come on, it's a honeymoon! I'm all for enjoying the outdoors and everything but some perspective is needed here I reckon...

To the OP - There are loads of really posh hotels (and B&Bs) in the Lakes, I'd stay in one of those. Do a bit of climbing or walking or whatever during the day but on your honeymoon the evenings should be spent having nice meals, cozy pubs etc, and enjoying a spot of luxury.

pog100 28 Jan 2013
In reply to My Gravity:

Great Cockup
 Heike 28 Jan 2013
In reply to Edradour:
Well, it depends on what you both want...

My honeymoon was spent up in the Northwest of Scotland. We had a great time. I recall two nights in Strabeg bothy having climbed at Creag Shomarlie (very nice) -all by ourselves, and a night sleeping in the back of the car infront of the police station in Kinlochbervie after a night out in the only opne pub in the Far Northwestern Coastal Highlands!

It was great, so I think it depends on the demands/desires/likes of your wife to be - I like climbing, bothying, being in the hills, I don't think I would have enjoyed an afternoon in the beauty saloon /spa - wedding or not (sorry Edradour).

So, my advice would be, what does your girl like and what does she want...find out and deliver accordingly! You can't go wrong.
tchnorton 28 Jan 2013
In reply to A Game of Chance: If staying in Eskdale, I'd use the Woolpack or the Brook House Inn (well I wouldn't, as I have a house there, but you know what I mean...)
 mike123 29 Jan 2013
In reply to My Gravity: the cottage in the woods Whinlatter , a bit posh but not over the top, great food
 BelleVedere 29 Jan 2013
In reply to Edradour:

a) how is the Drunken duck not a posh pub? with nice meals and touch of luxuary?

b) I sorry i didn't realise marriage suddenly made ones personality and preferences change - although presumably this might be a problem if you suddenly find your husband is no longer luxurious enough :P
 dale1968 29 Jan 2013
In reply to My Gravity:Rented in Troutbeck, which is nice
 graeme jackson 29 Jan 2013
In reply to My Gravity:
Greenbanks country house hotel in Borrowdale. Actually, this is exactly what we did for our honeymoon in 1987
OP My Gravity 29 Jan 2013
Which area would people recommend as a base? So far I've seen one vote for Eskdale which looks good for Skafell Pike.

If you had a week, would you spend it there? We're planning on just walking and possibly canoeing (?).

Cheers!
 Pete Ford 29 Jan 2013
In reply to My Gravity:

Twenty years ago we stayed in a little cottage in Chapel Style for our honeymoon...we did have our two oldest children with us though, so a romantic hotel was out of the question. We've been back a few times since, but we've still got our younger kids with us...so romantic hotel still out of the question!

Pete
 Marcus Tierney 29 Jan 2013
In reply to My Gravity: I had my honeymoon in Cockermouth truly! I did at the Trout Hotel and thats not a slur on my wife!. My friend stayed at this place for his anniversary and apart from banging his head on the ceiling he said it was very nice. http://www.thelookoutkeswick.co.uk
 biscuit 29 Jan 2013
In reply to My Gravity:

Another vote for cottage in the woods. Not stayed there but the food is lovely. The King's Head at Thirlspot used to have a lovely 4 poster room. My Wife and i spent the first few days of our married life there.
 jcharles 31 Jan 2013
In reply to My Gravity:

A suite in 'The Samling', and spend the week meandering (or sheltering from the rain).
 Frank4short 31 Jan 2013
In reply to My Gravity: Check out Wasdale Yurt. Stayed in the B&B adjacent to it a few years ago. Basically it's extremely plush definitely good for a few nights.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...