UKC

The 1970's

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
andymac 06 Aug 2014

We're they as grim as they looked?

Any film or old music clips I watch from the decade always leave me thinking how bleak they were.

And don't get me started on the fashion or hair; What in the name of fu#k were you all thinking.

I was born in 1975 ,but thankfully (because I'm rather dim) the first year I can remember was 1980.
Post edited at 23:07
 Cog 06 Aug 2014
In reply to andymac:

There were some great summers when water supplies ran out.

There was Faulty Towers.
 woolsack 06 Aug 2014
In reply to andymac:

Some of it was in colour
 Welsh Kate 06 Aug 2014
In reply to andymac:

They were wonderful! Apart from the fashions of course; I can't believe flares ever came back :-/
andymac 06 Aug 2014
In reply to Cog:

> There were some great summers when water supplies ran out.

And winters when the electricity ran out.

> There was Faulty Towers.

And on the Buses, and Steptoe and Son. Grim .

andymac 06 Aug 2014
In reply to Welsh Kate:

I nearly wore bell bottoms in the early 90's.well A few times. it was the Mancs fault.

Ian Brown ,come to think of it ,was a fashion icon for a generation.

Pete Ford 06 Aug 2014
In reply to andymac:

The seventies were brilliant,especially the music.... and as for the 76 summer,delivering furniture in a Luton van with no power steering and no cooling or air conditioning was never so much fun!!

Pete
 sbc_10 06 Aug 2014
In reply to andymac:

> We're they as grim as they looked?

They were the best of times and they were ....

>fashion or hair; What in the name of fu#k were you all thinking.

Seemed normal dress for a night out...
http://i.telegraph.co.uk/multimedia/archive/02432/Slade_2432497k.jpg

but then again, some things in hindsight look very similiar but are not what they seem.
http://isis-productions.com/wp-content/uploads/2008/08/Roxy-608x370.jpg
Flatus Vetus 06 Aug 2014
In reply to andymac:

Ah the 70s, when a lady garden was a lady garden! Much prefer modern hair styles too.
 Clarence 06 Aug 2014
In reply to andymac:

The 70s were not grim at all, there was less to need so it was easier to be happy. I remember my dad on the 3 day week, it was brilliant. We couldn't have birthday presents or holidays but we could go fishing, walking or foraging four days a week. Add in Slade on the radio and a Fab for a treat and it was pretty ok.
andymac 06 Aug 2014
In reply to sbc_10:

I typed "1970s were grim" into Google Images,and was confronted by Sean Connery as Zardoz.

Says it all; BAD taste all round .i mean he didn't even shave his legs .and those loin shorts.Argghhh.
andymac 06 Aug 2014
In reply to Flatus Vetus:

Unkempt.

A bit like the decade.
 Clarence 06 Aug 2014
In reply to andymac:

The penis is evil, that's why he needed the red nappy.
 sbc_10 06 Aug 2014
In reply to andymac:

I quite liked Zardoz for the non-formulaic quality.I suppose that what the 70's were about.

Try typing "1980's were grim", Jeez!!
andymac 06 Aug 2014
In reply to Clarence:

> The penis is evil, that's why he needed the red nappy.

Sounds like you went to a Convent school
 Blue Straggler 06 Aug 2014
In reply to andymac:

Early 70s Hammer Horror was ace though. I wonder how many takes Peter Cushing deliberately fluffed (as it were) on this scene

http://bit.ly/1knDYV6
 sbc_10 07 Aug 2014
In reply to Blue Straggler:

> Early 70s Hammer Horror was ace though.

Second that.....The Abominable Dr. Phibes (1971)

youtube.com/watch?v=e6FPbt8zB48&

oh Vulnavia,Vulnavia

Removed User 07 Aug 2014
In reply to andymac:

I'll admit to wearing Loons, in various colours. Then later on High Waisted trousers, they had a really big oversized deep waist, and had two rows of vertical buttons at the front, probably 5 or 6 on each row. Wow - did I look good.
 Blue Straggler 07 Aug 2014
In reply to sbc_10:
> Second that.....The Abominable Dr. Phibes (1971)

That's not a Hammer one though :-/
Looks great though, not seen it. I know Theatre of Blood rather well, which seems like a variation on the Phibes theme
Post edited at 00:35
 sbc_10 07 Aug 2014

Yep, you're right. << Doffs hat >>
It has all the right elements though. As good as.(?)
In reply to andymac:

> Any film or old music clips I watch from the decade always leave me thinking how bleak they were.

This really is utter bollox. It was perhaps not quite as good a time (overall) as now, but nothing like as grim as the 80s.

Most people I mixed with were at least as bright and probably had a bit more drive and initiative than now. It was all much madder, more dangerous, with very few people being politically correct, and "health and safety" nowhere in sight. But no one got hurt and some great things got done. E.g. some great movies got made.

In reply to sbc_10:

> Yep, you're right. << Doffs hat >>

> It has all the right elements though. As good as.(?)

Yeah, and in some cases better. I know "Hammer Horror" has become a catch-all phrase for all those types of films, regardless of actual production company. I was being pedantic. The competition between the three main players, Hammer, AIP and Amicus, was pretty healthy as they all tried to outdo each other in different ways. AIP iirc went a little "nastier", Amicus tried more bonkers plots, and Hammer stuck to its fairly traditional fare, but with bigger-breasted women
In reply to Gordon Stainforth:

> no one got hurt

No one got hurt in the 1970s?

Of course, Blue. I got hurt, for one.

There's such a thing as figurative speech. Meant 'virtually no one ever got hurt'. Rather fewer than now, I suspect, because most people had to be a bit sharper all the time.
 Duncan Bourne 07 Aug 2014
In reply to andymac:

Well work wise the early 70's were pretty fantastic. You could leave one job in the morning and have another by the afternoon. It would not be this good again.

Music and fashion wise the 70's was totally redeemed by Punk which kicked off in 1975

My first wage in the 70's was £40 a week but then beer was only 20p a pint and you could buy a house for less than £10,000

Tell that to the younguns today an they won't believe you..etc.
 cander 07 Aug 2014

Actually I thought the 80's were pretty good, The 70's however ... being a teenager is difficult - but being a teenager with long greasy hair, flares and platform boots was intolerable. the main redemming feature of the 70's the summer of 76.

Tom Valentine 07 Aug 2014
In reply to Removed User:
I managed to shuffle my way up a few Welsh E1's wearing loons (once I had removed the bells from the knees) so they can't have been that bad,,,
 ian caton 07 Aug 2014
In reply to andymac:

To quote Chouinard:

"Sex was safe and climbing was dangerous"
 tlm 07 Aug 2014
In reply to andymac:
When you are living your life, it just seems normal at the time. Later reconstructions of a particular era turn it into a caricature, rather than the complex and varied reality that existed, and miss out all the subtleties. For example, in this picture, no one looks that different to nowadays and you wouldn't give them a second glance:

http://i.telegraph.co.uk/multimedia/archive/01116/wooluk70s_1116830i.jpg
Post edited at 08:20
 Glyno 07 Aug 2014
In reply to andymac:

the 70's? - spending your school dinner money on Players' No.6
Ste Brom 07 Aug 2014
In reply to andymac:

The ladybird plague of 1976!
In reply to andymac:

When people refer to the 70's as being dire, they normallly mean this period;

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Winter_of_discontent

But it was only short, and there was fun to be had and money to be made if you were young and inventive.
 tlm 07 Aug 2014
In reply to stroppygob:

We loved it! We got to do our homework by candlelight - it was all adventure!

Oh - I just remembered the sugar running out, which for our family was a problem, as we all took sugar in our tea, so we used to use quite a lot. We used up all the brown sugar, all the caster sugar, all the honey.... Then my dad did a job at Tate and Lyle, and asked if they could let him have a bag of sugar.....

He came home with a whole sack of sugar!!!! Happy days!

Didn't something else run out, like loo roll or something?
 The Lemming 07 Aug 2014
In reply to Ste Brom:

> The ladybird plague of 1976!

I forgot about that. Little buggers were everywhere.

And that was probably the best summer, ever, for a 7 year old at least.
 Pete Ford 07 Aug 2014
In reply to Duncan Bourne:

I walked out of the furniture warehouse where I worked, down the road to the local tannery, had a look round was offered a job walked back to the warehouse and gave two weeks notice...brilliant life!!
Ste Brom 07 Aug 2014
In reply to tlm:
We use to fish out the back of tate and lyle in Liverpool, all the warm process water use to get dumped in the canal.
Everyone use to dump their tropical fish there. Probably the only place in the country where you could catch a 10IB neon tetra!
 Pete Ford 07 Aug 2014
In reply to Glyno:

Five Park Drive for 5p and ten Embassy Regal for 11p!

Pete
 JLS 07 Aug 2014
In reply to andymac:
The 70's were cheezy and fluffy but everybody had a good time.
The 80's on the other hand... that was the day your nan died - every day.
Post edited at 09:16
 MG 07 Aug 2014

Rather fewer than now, I suspect, because most people had to be a bit sharper all the time.

Rather than relying on suspicion, take a look at some numbers. For example road deaths have dropped from over 6000/year in the 1970s to less than 2000/year today, and this during a period when road transport has expanded hugely. There are similar trends in industrial accidents. You can argue HSE legislation is sometimes stifling but you can't pretend it hasn't reduced accidents.
 Rob Exile Ward 07 Aug 2014
In reply to tlm: I was working on Liverpool Docks in 1973/74 when there was a sugar shortage, which was a crisis as we all used a lot of sugar with our tea. There was a knock on the hut door, and a scouser came in and said 'Hey la, do you want to some sugar, I've got me some outside?' Great we thought, 'can we buy a few bags ... how much have you got? '

'11 tons' he replied.
 Hat Dude 07 Aug 2014
In reply to tlm:

> Oh - I just remembered the sugar running out,

I remember when that happened I had a girlfriend who kept bees; he was given a ration of sugar to keep them going through the winter.

by the way, why did we use so much sugar back then? I had a Saturday job in a small supermarket and we would be stacking the shelves with 2 or 3 pallets of 2lb bags a day

Hat Dude 07 Aug 2014
In reply to Glyno:

> the 70's? - spending your school dinner money on Players' No.6

Did you collect the coupons?
In reply to Hat Dude: Players No 10, about the same size as seet cigarettes - strictly for when you were desperate. Consulate Menthol - 'Cool as a mountain stream.'

And of course the perfect fag for climbers, Gold Leaf: 'When I got to the time I lit a Gold Leaf. It seemed the natural thing to do...'

And petrol - 35p a gallon! I thought climbing would end when the war in the middle East meant a price hike to 50p, but in the event we still went climbing the following weekend anyway.

There was a coin-operated petrol station outside Ruthin where you could get 50ps worth, which was enough to get my company van back to Liverpool where I could fill up at the Company's expense.
 Timmd 07 Aug 2014
In reply to MG:

> Rather fewer than now, I suspect, because most people had to be a bit sharper all the time.

> Rather than relying on suspicion, take a look at some numbers. For example road deaths have dropped from over 6000/year in the 1970s to less than 2000/year today, and this during a period when road transport has expanded hugely. There are similar trends in industrial accidents. You can argue HSE legislation is sometimes stifling but you can't pretend it hasn't reduced accidents.

Yes, construction accidents have fallen too.
 Hat Dude 07 Aug 2014
In reply to Rob Exile Ward:

Do you remember being issued with petrol rationing coupons following the Yom Kippur War?

I had a BSA Bantam and was issued with a booklet which incidentally had been printed during the Suez crisis of 1956. My dad told me there'd be no way I'd be fannying about on my motorbike if petrol rationing was introduced, he'd be using my share in his car!
 tlm 07 Aug 2014
In reply to Hat Dude:

> by the way, why did we use so much sugar back then? I had a Saturday job in a small supermarket and we would be stacking the shelves with 2 or 3 pallets of 2lb bags a day

It was all the cups of tea...

In reply to Rob Exile Ward: Actually, about Gold Leaf, that should have read:

'When I got to the top I lit a Gold Leaf. It seemed the natural thing to do...'
redsonja 07 Aug 2014
In reply to andymac: the 70's were brilliant. The music was the best ever- it still sounds good now. It was always sunny, everyone wore colours and flowers. There were some of the best comedies on telly, the films were great- I grew up with The Great Escape and The sound of Music. There wasn't so much crime. and whats wrong with long hair?! I still look and dress like someone from the 70's. It was a brilliant time to grow up. Now I am feeling all nostalgic!
In reply to Rob Exile Ward: Ah, the 70s, it's all flooding back...

In the early I saw bands like Jack Bruce, Hawkwind, Quintessance, Groundhogs, Mott the Hoople, Wishbone Ash etc etc at the Malvern Winter gardens - if I wasn't a steward (which I usually was) and getting in for nothing they probably cost about 50p each.

There was no seating, you sat on the floor with your girlfriend and a pint until it hotted up and you began to stand,, then drove home afterwards...
 Clarence 07 Aug 2014

I was only a kid back then but my older cousin used to take me to some top gigs on the back of his motorbike. I would sip a half pint of Double Diamond and ginger beer and listen to Sabbath, Quo, Saxon, Yes, ELP, Genesis (Gabriel era only please!), Hawkwind, Motorhead and Gong.
 The New NickB 07 Aug 2014
In reply to redsonja:
> the 70's were brilliant. The music was the best ever- it still sounds good now. It was always sunny, everyone wore colours and flowers. There were some of the best comedies on telly, the films were great- I grew up with The Great Escape and The sound of Music. There wasn't so much crime. and whats wrong with long hair?!

The Great Escape (1963) The Sound of Music (1965). I'm not sure that your assertion that there wasn't so much crime is correct either.
Post edited at 12:30
Removed User 07 Aug 2014
In reply to Hat Dude:

> Do you remember being issued with petrol rationing coupons following the Yom Kippur War?

I still have all the coupons that I got issued for my Vauxhall Viva HB Estate, they are in pristine condition. It was my first car as I moved up from a BSA Bantam.

We went onto reduced working hours , ie a short day, but we never got around to the threatened three day week.
 Trangia 07 Aug 2014
In reply to andymac:

They were great, carefee and so modern! The space race made us think were so progressive. We had reached the pinnacle of technology, there really wasn't much more to discover. IIRC we had got mobile phones well sorted reducing them to the size of a brick. The Vietnam war was a worry though - it seemed to be endless.

Climbing in flares was challenging, you had to shake your foot to see the hold before placing it.
redsonja 07 Aug 2014
In reply to The New NickB: I know they were filmed in the 60's, but I watched them a lot in the 70's. and im sure there wasn't so much crime then as now, or I wasn't aware of it. I remember the 70's as the best times. But its like that isn't it, when you have your parents and grandparents alive, you are growing up and carefree
In reply to stroppygob:

The usual music reference for the 70's is 'disco'. Nice to see that it doesn't even feature on that Wikipedia entry...
 Skip 07 Aug 2014
In reply to redsonja:

> im sure there wasn't so much crime then as now, or I wasn't aware of it.

I often wonder about this, the "good old days". Was there really less crime, or is more reported these days?

hang_about 07 Aug 2014
In reply to andymac:
The bin man strike - wading through litter knee deep.
Music needed punk to come along to inject a bit of life. Landing on the moon was routine....
 deepstar 07 Aug 2014
In reply to Trangia:

>

> Climbing in flares was challenging, you had to shake your foot to see the hold before placing it.

I remember coming back from a gig we'd played at in Shirehampton and stopping at the Main Area in Avon Gorge just as the sun came up,I soloed Route Minus Two on Exhibition Slab wearing crush velvet flares,desert boots,and my Gran's fur coat.
 woolsack 07 Aug 2014
In reply to Skip:

There was always plenty of football hooligans to brighten up the game

Saving up your Greenshield stamps
redsonja 07 Aug 2014
In reply to Skip: not sure really. or maybe the police were just more efficient at dealing with things then
 Queenie 07 Aug 2014
In reply to andymac:

Happy childhood memories... fancy dress Jubilee street party, neighbours in and out of each others' houses, Abba & The Beegees, Grease, Disco! Seemingly endless summers playing French cricket and tennis with friends and mucking about on the building site that became our estate until dark. Money was tight but that didn't stop us having an energetic and happy time.
Rigid Raider 07 Aug 2014
In reply to andymac:

Everything was brown, brown cars, brown decor, brown fashion, can anybody explain that in terms of the colours that were chemically possible?
In reply to redsonja:

Is 'efficient' code for fitting up a convenient black/Irish/learning disabilities person.
 woolsack 07 Aug 2014
In reply to The New NickB:

Thanks for reminding me: The Sweeney
redsonja 07 Aug 2014
In reply to The New NickB: sorry?
In reply to redsonja:

Just your suggestion that the police may have been more efficient in the 70s, it is pretty much accepted that the police in the 70s had huge problems with corruption and general lack of professionalism. Loads of reforms in the late 70s and early 80s and dealing with unsafe convictions for decades.
redsonja 07 Aug 2014
In reply to The New NickB: Oh? I didn't know. still think the 70's were great though. don't you?
 woolsack 07 Aug 2014
In reply to redsonja:

Not forgetting the Green Cross code and 'Charlie says never take sweets from grown ups'

Let's not mention blokes in shell suits though
 malk 07 Aug 2014
In reply to captain paranoia:
> The usual music reference for the 70's is 'disco'. Nice to see that it doesn't even feature on that Wikipedia entry...

interesting. surely there was some disco coming out of the UK in the 70s?
here is the disco link: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/1970s_in_music
Post edited at 14:29
In reply to woolsack: Probably best if we don't mention 'clunk click every trip', or indeed 'let the train take the strain...'
 graeme jackson 07 Aug 2014
> I'm not sure that your assertion that there wasn't so much crime is correct either.

It may just be a perception thing but In my recollection a murder was a REALLY BIG THING and probably only happened in britain every couple of years. murder was very much a USA activity in the 70's. Nowadays there's one reported every other day and no-one bats an eyelid.

If I was to have my time over again i'd probably opt for the mid 70's as being the best time I ever had.
In reply to graeme jackson:

Murder rate is slightly higher now in England and Wales (difference of about 0.1 per 100,000) quite a bit lower in Scotland and much, much, much lower in Northern Ireland.
 Skip 07 Aug 2014

> It may just be a perception thing but In my recollection a murder was a REALLY BIG THING and probably only happened in britain every couple of years.

1970 - total "Homicides" (inc: murder,manslaughter, and infanticide)- 393

1971 - 459

So in those two years over one per day.

Source - https://www.gov.uk/government/publications/historical-crime-data

Skip 07 Aug 2014
> Murder rate is slightly higher now in England and Wales (difference of about 0.1 per 100,000) quite a bit lower in Scotland and much, much, much lower in Northern Ireland.

Ah the "good old days"

In the 1900-1910 period it was around 300 per year.
Post edited at 14:46
 The Lemming 07 Aug 2014
In reply to woolsack:

> Not forgetting the Green Cross code and 'Charlie says never take sweets from grown ups'

> Let's not mention blokes in shell suits though

We sure did have the best Public Information around. Check out this cool bloke teaching us to swim. What ever happened to him?

youtube.com/watch?v=t2VvcOHi2E8&
Sarah G 07 Aug 2014
> (In reply to Ste Brom)
>
> [...]
>
> I forgot about that. Little buggers were everywhere.
>
>
> And that was probably the best summer, ever, for a 7 year old at least.

The ladybird plague closely follwed the aphid plague...

Sx
Sarah G 07 Aug 2014

> I remember coming back from a gig we'd played at in Shirehampton and stopping at the Main Area in Avon Gorge just as the sun came up,I soloed Route Minus Two on Exhibition Slab wearing crush velvet flares,desert boots,and my Gran's fur coat.

I salute you, sir! Exemplary sartorial climing gear taste!

Sxx

tlm 07 Aug 2014
In reply to Rigid Raider:

> Everything was brown, brown cars, brown decor, brown fashion, can anybody explain that in terms of the colours that were chemically possible?

I don't know. There was also quite a bit of bright orange and lurid purple. My mum went through a phase of dying and painting stuff...
 tlm 07 Aug 2014

> It may just be a perception thing but In my recollection a murder was a REALLY BIG THING and probably only happened in britain every couple of years.

According to this, there were 4830 murders in the UK in the 1970s...

http://www.murderuk.com/misc_crime_stats.html
andreas 07 Aug 2014

> My first wage in the 70's was £40 a week but then beer was only 20p a pint

So in terms of beer price that's the equivalent of £600 quid a week? In your first job?!

What the duece happened?
 Clarence 07 Aug 2014
In reply to tlm:
> I don't know. There was also quite a bit of bright orange and lurid purple. My mum went through a phase of dying and painting stuff...

Don't forget Dysentery Splatter or as it was better known - Harvest Gold, the classic Allegro colour. There was also a lot of strange olive green that managed to be both sickening, dull and lurid at the same time.
 Bruce Hooker 07 Aug 2014
In reply to andymac:

They didn't look grim to me

(21 to 31 at the time)
 MG 07 Aug 2014
In reply to tlm:

Any other such websites at your fingertips!? I like (in macabre way) the explanation for 2002.
 Al Evans 07 Aug 2014
In reply to MG:

Having lived through them all
60's great
70's great
80's dire
90's dire
Then things started to pick up a bit again.
In reply to andreas:
> (In reply to Duncan Bourne)
>
> [...]
>
> So in terms of beer price that's the equivalent of £600 quid a week? In your first job?!
>
>
> What the duece happened?

Beer duty mainly. That and increasingly low and infrequent wage rises

> Everything was brown, brown cars, brown decor, brown fashion, can anybody explain that in terms of the colours that were chemically possible?

Not only that, but there was hardly any choice compared to today. Watch any 70s TV and I find I recognise every biscuit tin, plate, toy, car, drink and wallpaper. All brown of course.
 grommet 07 Aug 2014
In reply to andymac:

I was a teenager in the 70's and wasn't allowed much freedom being out at night cos of the yorkshire ripper. My childhood in the 60's similarly restricted to an extent cos of the moors murders. Apart from that I had a wonderful childhood. No money but great all the same.

I remember the power cuts as being "fun".

As a teenager I was into Queen, pink floyd, David Bowie, Rolling Stones etc but being a girl this was unusual. Most of my mates loved disco & Motown which I hate with a passion still. So I don't have good memories of the music scene.

Some tv was good, but I thought it was fantastic when video recorders were invented.

Hated having to get dressed in bed in the morning - no central heating, long drop outside toilet, when I stayed at my grans, milk going sour cos we had no fridge.

Remember tv showing the Vietnam war, and travel being restrictive cos of the ira.

Mixed feelings about the 70's. 80's was better for me.
 felt 07 Aug 2014
In reply to everyone:

It's hateful being the pedant, but please, it's the 1970s, 70s, etc. No apostrophe.
In reply to felt:

> It's hateful being the pedant, but please, it's the 1970s, 70s, etc. No apostrophe.

It appears to be a US influence, if anything:

http://ell.stackexchange.com/questions/9199/do-decades-ever-get-apostrophes

I'm surprised I used "70's", since I'm pretty sure I changed all such date usages in my mp3 collection to "70s"...

Of course, we should all have been writing 'seventies' anyway; none of this nasty mixing of numbers and letters... I suspect that's why my brain rebels against the usual plurals rule.
andymac 07 Aug 2014
In reply to andymac:

Discussing this very subject today also with an old(ish) timer ;

I wasn't aware just how much of a threat nuclear Armageddon was.

He mentioned adverts and 2minute warnings. didnt really hear that bit as I was paying more attention to a song on the radio.
 felt 07 Aug 2014
In reply to captain paranoia:

I think it's more an apple's, strawb's, cue's, cauli's influence.
 tlm 07 Aug 2014
In reply to Al Evans:

> Having lived through them all

I liked them all.... How are your big feet doing?
In reply to andymac:
For me the early 70's was coloured by platforms, flares and tank tops and the music of Pink Floyd, Black Sabbath, Deep Purple (why did bands of that era have to have a colour in their name?) etc. But my "awakening" came in the mid-70's. 1975 and Nadir's Big Chance by Peter Hammill prepared me for the Sex Pistols "Anarchy in the UK" and the Damned's "New Rose" from then on I was hooked on new wave (even though I never ditched my hippy long hair) I took to wearing nothing but black, including black leather gloves and a cut-off sleeveless black fake fur coat. Head banging gave way to po-going in tiny packed and sweaty venues going mental to the likes of the Vibrators, Siouxsie and the Banshees, The Slits, Discharge, the Clash, the Jam, Lene Lovich, and Devo.
andreas 07 Aug 2014

> Beer duty mainly. That and increasingly low and infrequent wage rises

Comparing house price inflation I reckon that'd be the equivalent of £400 a week. How did the two most essential purchases a man can make become so expensive?!
 browndog33 07 Aug 2014
In reply to andymac: I was born in 75 too and can remember the teacher at primary school talking to us about the possibility of a nuclear war, I can also remember the adverts about 2 minute warnings.
 Brass Nipples 07 Aug 2014
In reply to andymac:

Best ever for a kid, climbing trees, out all day in Peak District on bike. Climbing .kinder Downfall edges as a 12 year old. No ropes or anything. Eating ice cream and having to walk the 7 miles home.

Fish finger sandwiches.

British Bulldog between garages out back.

Tracker bikes and trying to jump rivers on them.

Good snowy winters, especially 70, 74 and 76/77.

Marbles in the holes in the playground.

Mr Ben

Thunderbirds

Tank tops

Skate Boards

Frisbee football

Rockets in bottles that fell over and bounced off your windows

Burning rubbish in garden fire on a weekend.

> The Great Escape (1963) The Sound of Music (1965). I'm not sure that your assertion that there wasn't so much crime is correct either.

Films stayed around a LOT longer in those days, as did albums.
In reply to stroppygob:

> Films stayed around a LOT longer in those days, as did albums.

I could watch either of those now, wouldn't even need a TV.
 Jim Fraser 07 Aug 2014
In reply to andymac:

The seventies?

Never had so much fun before or since.

The three day week, the inflation, the power cuts, the winter of discontent, and worst of all the result of the '79 election, can be put aside because the hope and confidence in technological, economic and political progress that sprang largely from the optimism of 1945, was still alive.

By spring 1980, those of us who were active in politics or part of manufacturing industry (or both, as in my case) knew that hope and optimism were dead.
In reply to Jim Fraser: 1979 was a pretty grim year; Russia invaded Afghanistan and it seemed the cold war was really hotting up, Thatcher got elected and doubled VAT, which effectively wiped out my tiny business.

On the other hand, my eldest son was born, and although there was some genuine anxiety about a possible nuclear war that was pretty positive.

Apples and oranges.
In reply to andreas:
My first house, bought in the early 80's not 70's cost me £8000. By then I was probably on £75 - £100 I can't remember exactly
 The New NickB 08 Aug 2014
In reply to stroppygob:

> Apples and oranges.

Is that an obscure prod rock album?
 The New NickB 08 Aug 2014

Prog

Definitely prod.

Ste Brom 08 Aug 2014
In reply to andymac:
It was always a big deal when a new film hit the telly.
andreas 08 Aug 2014

> My first house, bought in the early 80's not 70's cost me £8000. By then I was probably on £75 - £100 I can't remember exactly

It's crazy isn't it? Aren't we supossed to be getting richer? I offended a girl last night by suggesting having to work 50 hours a week while bringing up two kids so she could pay a mortgage and get to go to the odd rock concert at the weekend was a little excessive. I just don't get it.
 Hat Dude 08 Aug 2014

My parents moved house in 1970 to a place which cost £7,750.00 they moved again in 1976, sold it for £21,500.00 and bought a place for £24,500.00 after my father died in 1980, my mother had to sell this and it went for £62,000.00

And people talk about the boom in house prices now!
 Fat Bumbly2 08 Aug 2014
A great time - optimism, blissful ignorance of the decade to come, punk, Hereford United in the second division, 1975 Summer and the rerun a year later, Viv Richards at the Oval, what followed punk, ITV's kids drama offerings....
 graeme jackson 08 Aug 2014
In reply to Ste Brom:
> (In reply to andymac)
> It was always a big deal when a new film hit the telly.

bank holiday mondays you always got Disney Time (a compilation of clips from new and old disney movies) usually followed by a James bond movie.

Fredt 08 Aug 2014
In reply to Ste Brom:

> It was always a big deal when a new film hit the telly.

It was always a big deal when you saw the latest records first on Top of the Pops.
I remember at a concert at Sheffield Uni Student's Union, the disco stopped playing and a big screen showed the Stones debuting Brown sugar on TOTP.
Ste Brom 08 Aug 2014
In reply to Fredt:

Or sticking your tape recorder next to the telly to record top of the pops, pressing stop so you didn't get any Saville over the top.
 Darron 08 Aug 2014

My dad came home one day and announced we were having a new car.

"What colour dad?"
"Saluki bronze"

which turned out to be Fords current name for sh*t brown

Beer was (generally ) crap in the '70's though.
 Duncan Bourne 08 Aug 2014
In reply to andreas:
I think "some" people are getting richer but the gap between the rich and the poor (well rest of us really) has been getting wider according to latest polls
 Duncan Bourne 08 Aug 2014
In reply to Hat Dude:
£62,000 in 1980! I shudder to think what it might be worth now.

A lot does depend on where you have your house though. London prices are a thing in their own right while other areas of the country can still be relatively cheap
 Fredt 08 Aug 2014
In reply to Darron:

> Beer was (generally ) crap in the '70's though.

There was no finer beer than Ward's Sheffield Bitter.
Whitbread Trophy was not bad, or Whitbread Tankard if you wanted to show off.
Thankfully, very few lagers.

I admit that in the 70s southern beer was crap, but that's improved whilst the northern beers have disappeared.

Sigh....
andymac 08 Aug 2014
In reply to andymac:

I was watching 70s footy clips on Utube last night .

And for some reason it was mostly Leeds Utd.

They were some team.

Was aware of him from watching Damned United , but Don Revie was an interesting guy.

Was a clip of him giving Norman Hunter ,Big Jack et al steamy all over (bollock naked) body massages.

Can't see Mourihno or Van Gaal doing that sort of thing

Clarence 08 Aug 2014
In reply to Darron:

> Beer was (generally ) crap in the '70's though.

I was too young for anything other than a shandy or the arse end of a party seven but I did try the remade Worthington E a couple of years ago. It was absolute nectar.

Cog 08 Aug 2014
In reply to andymac:

I think this is about beer, fags, music, film, sugar, house prices, brown and ladybirds.

Why bring up football?
andymac 09 Aug 2014
In reply to Cog:
> I think this is about beer, fags, music, film, sugar, house prices, brown and ladybirds.

> Why bring up football?

Football in the 70s was proper football.

Money had not ruined the game.

There was no diving.

Robben ,and the rest of the synchronised divers would be hitting the deck for real

Think you got a yellow card if you broke someone's leg ,or karate kicked them in the head.

The red only came out if a player got a bit naughty with a sword,or shotgun.
Post edited at 08:30
 Darron 10 Aug 2014
In reply to Fredt:

> There was no finer beer than Ward's Sheffield Bitter.

> Whitbread Trophy was not bad, or Whitbread Tankard if you wanted to show off.

> Thankfully, very few lagers.

> I admit that in the 70s southern beer was crap, but that's improved whilst the northern beers have disappeared.

> Sigh....

I have to put to bed this revisionist nonsense about 70s beers being OK.

Double Diamond, Party 7s. Titbread Wankard.....awful. I'm sure there were SOME nice drinks around but the usual was weak, gassy, tasteless rubbish keg. If we went back there would be a revolution
 Rob Exile Ward 10 Aug 2014
In reply to Darron: Are you mad? Tetleys. And in York, in the 1970s, you could drink it in men-only bars...
 Postmanpat 10 Aug 2014
In reply to Darron:

Wat
> I have to put to bed this revisionist nonsense about 70s beers being OK.

>
Watney's Red Barrel, "Roll out the barrel, roll out the barrel tonight…." Ugh.
 wercat 10 Aug 2014
In reply to andymac:
Thought the 70s began amazingly - the time of the moon landings, jump jets and the first jumbo jets, Skylab and the space shuttle seemed to be ushering a new age with big projects.

But it's really easy to forget how much we have now and take for granted came in during that decade - at the start of the 70s FM radio was still newish, most people still had black and white TV and mono valve record players were still the norm except for HI FI buffs. By the mid 70s stereo "Hi Fi" and cassette decks were widespread and people had pocket calculators and first generation digital watches,(now, happily, superseded by quartz analogue).

By the end of the 70s schools were getting Apple IIs and Commodore PETS which really did bring home the arrival of the future as it seemed to happen so suddenly (I was involved in one of the projects looking at the feasibility of using computers in schools and it really did seem like science fiction at the time).

In those days we were allowed to enjoy Gary Glitter as we didn't know what the likes of he and Saville were up to ..

On the other hand we were living with the constant threat of terrorism from the IRA and daily casualty reports from Northern Ireland, strikes, unions etc. I suppose life at any time is grim for those for whom life is grim but the 70s was not at all grim in my recollection, apart from exams and compulsory school sports, school food!
Post edited at 15:05
 Cardi 10 Aug 2014
In reply to andymac:

My impression of it as someone born in the 80's mainly based on thr old man's musings

Good: Climbing achievements, music, Wales being the best in the world at rugby

Bad: Hapless Labour government, stuff in short supply due to strikes/summer of discontent etc
 woolsack 10 Aug 2014
In reply to wercat:

> On the other hand we were living with the constant threat of terrorism from the IRA and daily casualty reports from Northern Ireland, strikes, unions etc. I suppose life at any time is grim for those for whom life is grim but the 70s was not at all grim in my recollection, apart from exams and compulsory school sports, school food!

In primary school it was the expectation that at anytime you could hear the four minute warning and the things you were supposedly going to do in those last four minutes
 Bulls Crack 10 Aug 2014
In reply to andymac:

> And winters when the electricity ran out.

> And on the Buses, and Steptoe and Son. Grim .

On the Buses yes but Steptoe and Son...grim? Noooooooo
 Siward 10 Aug 2014

I love my beers me. But Tetleys, never had a nice pint of it. God knows I've tried...
 Glyno 10 Aug 2014
In reply to Bulls Crack:

> On the Buses yes but Steptoe and Son...grim? Noooooooo

Holiday on the Buses was on this afternoon!
 Rob Exile Ward 10 Aug 2014
In reply to Siward: In Yorkshire? It didn't travel well, everyone knew that.
 Brass Nipples 10 Aug 2014
In reply to andymac:

4 minute warnings, constant threat of IRA? Not at my primary school. Adult worries maybe but no childhood.
 Duncan Bourne 10 Aug 2014
In reply to Darron:
I agree early 70's lots of beer was crap hence the formation of CAMRA in 1971. By the mid- 70's things were changing and beer choice was improving and the Great British Beer festival opened for the first time in 1975.
But really things are in a constant flux. Back in the 70's Boddingtons and Theakstons were still independant and producing fine ales, also there were still the many local breweries such as Gales, Hook Norton etc. which have always produced good beers. I would say that while good beer was not always common in the 70's it was still the turning point for real ale in Britain
 didntcomelast 10 Aug 2014
In reply to wercat:

I still have a black & white 'Dansette' TV which has a dial to swivel to find the channel. It sits in my loft as a happy memory of my first TV given to me in about 1975. A few years ago my daughter asked for a portable TV for her room and I brought the old Dansette down, the look on her face when she couldn't find a remote control was priceless.
I remember watching programmes in my room late at night in the hope of a flash of female flesh on one of the late night plays on BBC 2.
 Clarence 11 Aug 2014
In reply to didntcomelast:

> I remember watching programmes in my room late at night in the hope of a flash of female flesh on one of the late night plays on BBC 2.

The best ones were historical so I was allowed to watch stuff like I CLAVDIVS and The Borgias on educational grounds.
 Offwidth 11 Aug 2014

CAMRA were partly a reaction to big brewers mass-marketing shite and buying up and closing small breweries. They were a localism movement on a national scale (beer never really travelled well then). I fell out with them in the 80's (sic to annoy the pedant above) as they supported second rate breweries in Nottingham with terrible anti-competative practices (like forcing their tied houses to pay for the pumping equipment and rent part of the bar if they wanted to put on a guest ale).

I liked the late 70's (oops!) even if its patently obvious good and bad happened in all decades. People had way more spirit then, especially in communities. The best music was amazing...almost every week a record came out that blew me away and even the bad stuff was funny.
 Tom Valentine 11 Aug 2014
> (In reply to everyone)
>
.... it's the 1970s, 70s, etc. No apostrophe.

Who says so?

I started teaching English in 1974. All the text books at my disposal said that the apostrophe COULD be used to denote plurals in special cases such as 1970's, and P's and Q's.

I took early retirement seven years ago. As far as I am aware the powers that be never issued a notice in the interim to the effect that this was wrong.

I'm quite prepared to accept 1970s if you can quote me chapter and verse as to who changed the rules, when did they do it, and by what authority?

(And by authority I don't mean Lynn Truss)

When that's been established, tell me how to write down a sentence like "The word definite is a bit of a spelling problem for some people: it has two i's in it and no a's at all."

Do what you want with your keyboard - it's less confusing with the apostrophes.

felt 11 Aug 2014
In reply to Tom Valentine:

Rubbish, it's far more confusing. How, using the possessive, are you going to say that 1960's music (i.e. music made in 1960) is rubbish without people thinking you're dissing music of the entire decade (the 1960s)?
 felt 11 Aug 2014

P's and q's is a quite different point, and I'm in complete agreement with you regarding it.
In reply to felt:

Yes, there are clear rules in Hart's Rules and Oxford Guide to English Usage for all these issues, and virtually no publisher deviates from them. Fowler (and all other authorities) reject the use of the non-possessive 's. No reputable publisher would accept the decade of the 1960s done with an apostrophe.

Well then, Gordon, the secondary school textbooks Action in English and English Through Experience (to name but two from memory) must have been published by disreputable publishers.

To pick up on a point where felt agrees with me, does Fowler accept the use of the non-possessive 's in P's and Q's? You seem seem quite adamant that this is wrong.

No, that is a special case and the accepted way of doing it. E.g. dotting one's i's.
Lusk 11 Aug 2014

Are P's and Q's abbreviations of peas and cues?!
It's a special case which has stood the test of time. It seems that 60's and 70's have not stood the test of time so well, but they were dealt with in the same sentence as p's and q's in the text books I am referring to.

And even Fowler is regarded as being too liberal by some critics, who insist the apostrophe has no use at all in sentences such as mine about definite.Interestingly, the critic who I am referring to (John Richards, Apostrophe Protection Society) could not have actually written my sentence without apostrophes; he would have been forced to rephrase the whole thing.
Post edited at 19:52
 Rob Naylor 12 Aug 2014

Brown?

My room at uni in 1973 had 2 bright orange walls, 2 purple walls and lime green curtains!
 Rob Naylor 12 Aug 2014

> I agree early 70's lots of beer was crap hence the formation of CAMRA in 1971. By the mid- 70's things were changing and beer choice was improving and the Great British Beer festival opened for the first time in 1975.

At my uni Union bar in the early to mid 70s they had on:

Ruddles County and Ruddles Bitter
Theakston's Old Peculier
Marston's Pedigree
Ansell's Brown
Hoskin's Bitter
Shipstone's

Plus the standard Double Diamond and Watneys Red and a couple of lagers (Harp and Carling, from memory, but I never drank them).

And the odd guest ale.

For parties, there were the ubiquitous party 7s, but in our shared house, and many others, we'd usually get in a barrel of Hoskins or Ruddles with a spile and tap, delivered by one of the 2 off-sales shops in town that did cask ales by the barrel.

Spoilt for choice!
 neilh 12 Aug 2014
In reply to andymac:
I have just started reading Domininc Sandbrook's "Seasons of the Sun" which is a history of Britain covering 1974-79.As I was 15- 20 years old in the same period, finding it fascinating.The description of the turmoil in Harold Wilson's cabinet during the first 3 days after they took power was unbelievable.I am only on the first year. yes- biege was the most popular colour.And as he points out - music stars like Elton John, Queen, the bee gees- easily were far more popular than the Sex Pistols. Elton john's record sales in that period were unbelievable.I had forgotten about Marica William's hold over Harold Wilson.So far a highly recommendable read if you are interested in that period.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...