UKC

FRI NIGHT VID - Velocity: Ice Climbing in Cogne

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 UKC News 12 Dec 2014
Velocity, 4 kbTonight's super-cool Friday Night Video is one for the ice climbers. Arc'teryx athletes Matthias Scherer and Tanja Schmitt are joined by Franz Walter (storyteller, editor) and Hans Hornberger (cameraman) in Cogne, Italy to explore an artistic view into a frozen world.

Read more at http://www.ukclimbing.com/news/item.php?id=69372
 sheelba 12 Dec 2014
In reply to UKC News:

Why do people insist on ruining climbing films with pseudo-philosophical nonsense, Arc'teryx seem especially guilty of this
 Aigen 12 Dec 2014
In reply to sheelba:

I agree as soon as I start tto hear such crap I turn it off. Espicallywhen its in bouldering videos, they driven me mad.
 georgehumphery 12 Dec 2014
In reply to UKC News:

A 6 minute climbing film with 50 seconds of climbing in it and a hole load of bullshit !
 Misha 12 Dec 2014
In reply to UKC News:

Yeah, didn't really work for me.
 TobyA 12 Dec 2014
In reply to sheelba:

> Why do people insist on ruining climbing films with pseudo-philosophical nonsense, Arc'teryx seem especially guilty of this

They cynic in me would say that obviously the answer is to take your mind off the fact that they are trying to flog you an anorak - but of course I'm not really that cynical.

I think actually Arcteryx have sponsored some really great climbing short films, and we wouldn't get to see them without the company paying for them, but this one isn't one of the best. I love ice climbing, so just want to see more Tanja and Matthias actually climbing because they are both superb ice climbers. We could lose the close up of eyes staring, or heads being raised in slow-mo etc. etc.

Damo 12 Dec 2014
In reply to sheelba:
> Why do people insist on ruining climbing films with pseudo-philosophical nonsense...

To try and confer worth and meaning onto a pointless and self-indulgent leisure activity, practiced almost entirely by relatively affluent white men insufficiently tested by modern life. We need to make it sound serious and deep or we'd all look a bit silly, grown men monkeying around in bright fancy clothes and plodding up big snowy hills on expensive holidays.

Saying it's just 'fun' makes it sound shallow and juvenile and thus not worth adults spending time on, nor so much money on rain coats. Spiritual solutions sell well in the mainstream market, in all fields, so climbing latches on to this to seem less pointless.
Post edited at 22:20
 buffalo606 12 Dec 2014
In reply to Misha:

yeah, pretty poor
 mcgovern 12 Dec 2014
In reply to UKC News:

that was shite
 TobyA 13 Dec 2014
In reply to UKC News:

Just bumped into this one vimeo.com/114056802 less cod-philosophy, more history of the Norwegian industrialisation process (and ice climbing)!
pacificwall 13 Dec 2014
In reply to UKC News:

Yeah! Super cool! That is if you are 11 years old and really have no idea what climbing is actually about and what utter codswallop they are spouting in a trite, close-upped, slo-moed, portentious sound tracked sort of way.
Cool!

Mr. Lee 13 Dec 2014
In reply to UKC News:

Aha yes saw these guys climbing last January. It was politely suggested that we leave the vicinity. Didn't seem the usual climbing spirit. But got a nice photo at least.

https://www.flickr.com/photos/leeharrison/11873396526/in/set-72157639621918...
 henwardian 13 Dec 2014
In reply to UKC News:

Hahaha. There are some beautiful shots here, couple that with the hilarity caused by the enormous helping of pretentiousness and massively over dramatic music and the film becomes quite fun to watch. Though perhaps not for the reasons the makers were intending
 Robert Durran 13 Dec 2014
In reply to TobyA:

> They cynic in me would say that obviously the answer is to take your mind off the fact that they are trying to flog you an anorak - but of course I'm not really that cynical.

I am.

The alarm bells always start ringing as soon as I see "(gear manufacturer) athlete" in the blurb for a video. But this one really elevates the genre to a whole new level of vomit inducing pretentious awfulness.

Never mind. Here's the heart warming antidote from the "Berghaus Athlete Camp". Genius: youtube.com/watch?v=sjn334FbqPU&
Post edited at 13:16
 gethin_allen 13 Dec 2014
In reply to UKC News:

Bloody hell that was boring.

I hope Arcteryx paid UKC well for exposing it's readers to such crap.
 gethin_allen 13 Dec 2014

> Never mind. Here's the heart warming antidote from the "Berghaus Athlete Camp". Genius: youtube.com/watch?v=sjn334FbqPU&

Excellent, although I'm quite surprised there were no broken ankles.
 Roberttaylor 13 Dec 2014
In reply to Damo:

This
 beardy mike 13 Dec 2014
In reply to UKC News:

So the consensus is no likey no lighty? Yeah. Bolloxs.
 craggyjohn 13 Dec 2014
In reply to beardy mike:

Let the ice see the tool (or in this case, two tools)
 joe gallacher 13 Dec 2014
In reply to UKC News:

While they were ' waiting for the ice to return ' they could've gone spear fishing Wild Salmon with their ski poles with Bear Grylls leaping the torrent in a single bound in the back shot.
 iksander 14 Dec 2014
In reply to UKC News:
Rubbish compared to the excellent Desert Ice vid
Post edited at 13:41
m.buckley 14 Dec 2014
In reply to UKC News:

If this sort of "climbing" video keeps turning up we should perhaps be paid to watch. It's a bit like watching the olympics on TV to see the climbing: Blink and you've already missed it ...
 Derek Ryden 14 Dec 2014
In reply to UKC News:

....just.........absolutely.....dire........
In reply to Anti-Pretension Brigade:
Don't worry, I'll be sure to find a pretension-free video filled with plenty of action to distract from any advertising for this week's video...

In all seriousness, everyone climbs for different reasons and people express this in their own way - so it's impossible for a film to express what climbing's "about" which will appeal to everyone. Some climb for the adrenaline kick, some for the adventure and others for spiritual or philosophical reasons. Whatever your view of the video is, whether you deem it overly pretentious or artistic - I doubt it merits such negativity as a flat-out declaration that it's "shite."

One person's pretentiousness is another's creativity. It's certainly "dramatic" but as a short film it has to be to stand out and convey a message in six minutes. And yes, it's an advert and a beautifully-shot one at that.

Do you watch the adverts on TV or cover your eyes?
Post edited at 18:47
 Doug 14 Dec 2014
In reply to Natalie Berry - UKC:
> Do you watch the adverts on TV or cover your eyes?

tend to go get a drink, sometime to eat, visit the toilet etc. rarely really watch them & often mute the sound

GraMc 14 Dec 2014
In reply to Damo:

that is the best description of climbing I have ever herd.
 JLS 14 Dec 2014
In reply to Damo:

Like.
 Damo 14 Dec 2014
In reply to Natalie Berry - UKC:

>
> In all seriousness, everyone climbs for different reasons and people express this in their own way - so it's impossible for a film to express what climbing's "about" which will appeal to everyone. Some climb for the adrenaline kick, some for the adventure and others for spiritual or philosophical reasons. Whatever your view of the video is, whether you deem it overly pretentious or artistic - I doubt it merits such negativity as a flat-out declaration that it's "shite."

Why? If a full range of varying opinions are acceptable then why not a very plain and simple one at one end of the spectrum? So all views and opinions are equal, but some are more equal than others? That approach always turns out so well...

'negativity'? This is often used as a back-handed insult these days, a catch-all put-down, as if not being 'positive' and supportive and nice and fluffy (or silent) renders the critic a bad person and their opinion unworthy.

So what if the reaction to something is 'negative'? Maybe it's really not very good by any measure and no matter how you fluff it around people just say 'no'. It's aimed at these people, aimed at their wallets, aimed at their eyes and ears. The cost of making this ad has been added on to every Arcteryx product they might buy. They're allowed to say 'no' on a forum they support with their input and ad-clicks and maybe ultimately their own money.

What if some reactions were 'positive' in the extreme? Would you post to say that "I doubt it merits such positivity as a flat-out declaration that it's "superb"." No. You'd let that through as acceptable, even if some were slightly less enthusiastic. So why not equal treatment at the other end of the spectrum? It's a forum, not a fan club.

One of the things that I, and at least a few others, like about ukc is it having not just a wide and often conflicting range of opinions, but people here can still feel free to be critical about something and not be softly pushed down into silent acceptance of feel-good commercial pap. We are all able, and allowed, to judge quality for our own eyes and minds, even if we differ on our criteria and verdict. Read any Bear Grylls thread. Removing or degrading the acceptability of strong criticism degrades the whole site.

One of the reasons ukc has survived is because it has teeth and it will bite. The list of failed climbing websites is long and littered with lame attempts at sticking to the polite middle ground through anodyne moderation of debate and conflict. They take us nowhere, so get left behind.

This 'film' is a poor example of the genre, with stilted, banal and hackneyed dialogue, overly long 'art' shots and bog-standard climbing. It was like The Onion decided to make an ice-climbing clip.

Both Arcteryx and ukc have been built on better stuff than this. And yes, I know it's just a bloody ad
 Trevers 15 Dec 2014
In reply to Damo:

Excellent post, and yes the ad sucked.
 Robin Warden 15 Dec 2014
In reply to UKC News:

Sorry…turned off after 50 seconds of vocal guff, since when were climbing films so deep and meaningful? Bring back Masters of Stone any day! …. Leave this stuff to Mr Dawes, the master of vocal enlightenment.
 allarms 16 Dec 2014
In reply to UKC News:

Oh wow. I couldn't make it to one minute in.

I criticised a video similar to this (for the reasons other people are here,) but was confused at the overwhelming positive response of everyone else.

Another user mentioned this video and I thought I would have a look.

My comments echo every user here I think.

At least here I don't feel like I might get my head bitten off for criticising this one.
In reply to Natalie Berry - UKC: I realise it's your job to promote these companies, and they pay you to put their videos up, but you're under no obligation to defend the indefensible.

Yes, it stands out, but as the overwhelming response shows, it stands out for all the wrong reasons. If a company is unable to sell its products based on effectiveness, value and quality, they're limited to pretentious art house babble. I can't imagine DMM doing something as empty as this.

These climbers are reading from a script someone else has probably written, using meaningless psychobabble phrases (e.g. "we follow our centuries old code, unuttered and unwritten" - yawn) and there is nothing in here that I recognise as being about climbing. This is purely a commercial, designed (as all commercials are) to make us feel dissatisfied with what we have and to make us spend money on what we have not.

It has nothing to do with any "code" or "spirit" or "essential", and everything to do with consumerism. When something is so awful, it absolutely merits negativity; trying to dress it up - and defend it - as anything else is nonsense.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...