UKC

NEWSFLASH: James McHaffie becomes First Extreme Rock Completionist

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 UKC News 26 May 2021

James McHaffie has become the first person to complete Ken Wilson and Bernard Newman's 'Extreme Rock', ticking his final route - Revelations 8b - today (26 May).

Read more

Andy Farnell 26 May 2021
In reply to UKC News:

Now that is THE ticklist completed. Proper effort.

Andy F

Robadob 26 May 2021
In reply to UKC News: totally brilliant! What a legend!

CaelanB 26 May 2021
In reply to UKC News:

Can we please get an interview with him on his experiences doing extreme rock? I know I would love to read it.

That said, I wouldn't be surprised if it were already in the pipeline.

PaulJepson 26 May 2021
In reply to CaelanB:

It will SURELY go in a book.

Neil Foster Global Crag Moderator 26 May 2021
In reply to UKC News:

Congratulations Caff - stellar effort!

Neil

ALF_BELF 27 May 2021
In reply to UKC News:

UK...completed it mate. This is f*ckin' rad. Well done love

Smelly Fox 27 May 2021
In reply to UKC News:

Chapeau! Incredible achievement.

So who’s going to pen the “modern” extreme rock?

Michael Gordon 27 May 2021
In reply to UKC News:

The ultimate challenge in puerile ticking!

Lankyman 27 May 2021
In reply to Michael Gordon:

> The ultimate challenge in puerile ticking!

No. That will be Extreme, Hard and Classic. The true challenge remains.

In reply to UKC News:

Great effort Caff, but what've you ever done on grit?

Blake 27 May 2021
In reply to UKC News:

Incredible! The greatest, realest trad achievement I've ever heard.

Nic 27 May 2021
In reply to UKC News:

Blimey! I'll have to get him to sign my copy, it'll be worth £££ then!

Any more puerile than all the 8,000m peaks etc?

Southvillain 27 May 2021
In reply to PaulJepson:

> It will SURELY go in a book.

Book, film, interview, article, whatever - I really want to hear about this. It is a stunning achievement. 

DaveHK 27 May 2021

I suspect the dislikers of this post aren't familiar with the origin of the phrase.

https://www.needlesports.com/Information/Features/Hard-Rock

Lankyman 27 May 2021
In reply to DaveHK:

> I suspect the dislikers of this post aren't familiar with the origin of the phrase.

I suspect the dislikers have had a sensayuma bypass operation

mark s 27 May 2021
In reply to UKC News:

This is one hell of an achievement. 

tonyw 27 May 2021
In reply to Wide_Mouth_Frog:

Pages 171 - 235 it would seem

David Lanceley 28 May 2021
In reply to UKC News:

Amazing really that it’s taken 35 years for a completer to emerge.  I guess everyone who might have been capable thought it was a hopeless dream so didn’t really try and it’s probably only the fairly recent arrival of the “professional” rock climber that has made it possible.

I sold my spare copy last year for a little under £200, not a bad return on the £25 purchase price…..

Michael Gordon 28 May 2021
In reply to David Lanceley:

Not that surprising given that, as the article points out, you've got Indian Face as one of the routes. Folk aren't exactly queuing up for that one; I think we're still not past 7 ascents? And out of 7 exceptional climbers, how many are going to be motivated for a mammoth undertaking like this? Not Dawes, Dixon or Gresham I'm fairly sure, nor Dave MacLeod. Calum Musket perhaps best bet for a repeat?!

Philb1950 28 May 2021

Surely a challenge is what makes us strive to be better. It’s not puerile. There are a lots in there head and shoulders above the rest, which I could (at one time) have hope to lead, so well done for a fantastic effort that has resisted the decades. Finally for the ultimate in puerile, applied from your statement would be bouldering, lugging a mattress up a hill to find the hardest way up a small rock. It’s whatever floats your boat and that’s the beauty of all forms of climbing.

ebdon 28 May 2021
In reply to Philb1950:

I think your missing some historical context here, the puerile ticker comment is a quote by the book series creator and I suspect not entirely serious.

David Lanceley 28 May 2021
In reply to ebdon:

I think it was KW himself who came up with the purile ticker tag but IIRC is was first applied to Will Hurford who named a route after it on the Cromlech in 1978.

Philb1950 29 May 2021
In reply to ebdon:

Doh idiot!! You’re entirely correct and I should have remembered Ken saying that, especially as I wrote two of the chapters for the book,

Cbee20191 29 May 2021
In reply to UKC News:

Nice achievement, but what has he ever done on chalk?

Smith42 29 May 2021
In reply to UKC News:

Massive congratulations to Caff. If I could swap rock climbing CVs with anyone it would be Caff.  
I remember as a student starting university purchasing Extreme Rock which seemed a huge sum of money at the time but has been huge source of inspiration over the years.

chrishedgehog 01 Jun 2021
In reply to Smelly Fox:

I’ve been wondering that too. And what will it be called? “Hard Extremely Severe Rock” I suppose. Maybe the reward for being the first to complete Extreme Rock should be getting to choose what goes into the next book, and NOT have to climb all of them...

GrahamD 01 Jun 2021
In reply to chrishedgehog:

The point about the Classic, Hard, Extreme series is not the choice of routes. It's also about the diversity of authors and essays that go with it.  It shouldn't be one person's choice.

Smelly Fox 01 Jun 2021
In reply to chrishedgehog:

I was thinking “Pure Dead Mental Rock” myself, but maybe that’s just The weegie rubbing off on me.

Michael Gordon 01 Jun 2021
In reply to Smelly Fox:

Surely to go with Classic Rock and Hard Rock we need 'Heavy Metal', a compilation of the best pegging routes

Offwidth 02 Jun 2021
In reply to David Lanceley:

Caff works for the BMC for 4 days a week as its Youth and Equity Officer. Surely that makes him a determined and talented weekend warrior, rather than a 'professional' climber?

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...