UKC

MARMOT CLIP COMP (14): Meeting Paul Williams

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 Michael Ryan 16 Oct 2008
The Marmot "On Sight" Film Clip Competition

MEETING PAUL WILLIAMS by Alison Stockwell

Nick Colton remembers the first time he met Paul Williams and an unforgettable climbing experience at Stoney Middleton.

You can watch here: http://www.ukclimbing.com/articles/page.php?id=1343

There are more than £1,000 worth of MARMOT prizes on offer

CLOSING DATE FOR ENTRIES IS OCTOBER 31st

What You Have To Do?

Film or have filmed a short climbing or mountaineering clip, it could be of your mate leading or even a short piece acted by a whole troupe of climbers, the brief is wide open, it could be a clip of beautiful mountain scene with an environmental theme, the ascent of a boulder problem, a fall, or a funny sketch. It's up to you, but it must be your own work.

Full details here: http://www.ukclimbing.com/articles/page.php?id=1202
In reply to Mick Ryan - UKClimbing.com:

That was brilliant.
 deacondeacon 16 Oct 2008
In reply to Mick Ryan - UKClimbing.com: That was fantastic, its got to be a contender.

john howard 1 16 Oct 2008
In reply to Mick Ryan - UKClimbing.com: Really enjoyed that, well done to all involved.
 Kyuzo 16 Oct 2008
Great stuff.
In reply to Mick Ryan - UKClimbing.com: this one made it for me - well done all and especially Alison.
 David Hooper 16 Oct 2008

Ive not seen them all, but I think this is the best so far.
 MF2005 17 Oct 2008
This is an absolute beauty!
Well done
 Alejandro 17 Oct 2008

I'm guessing it was also the last time he ever saw the guy, after he walked away shell-shocked?!

Definitely a contender!
 Dom Whillans 17 Oct 2008
excellent!
maybe more for the story than the actual film and audio quality. great use of music though.. really added to the story. one of the top 2 so far for me
 AlisonS 17 Oct 2008
In reply to grumpybearpantsclimbinggoat:
> - well done all and especially Alison.

Thanks grumpybearpantsclimbinggoat. It's been a huge learning curve for me and I'm really pleased with the results. It's great that people enjoy it. It was fun to make and I had almost as much of an epic filming it. It's harder than you'd think getting up a rope with a large and fragile camera.
 UKB Shark 17 Oct 2008
In reply to Alejandro: I'm guessing it was also the last time he ever saw the guy

Definitely wouldnt have been.

Nice vignette Nick.
 Tyler 17 Oct 2008

I liked everyting about that film
 andi turner 18 Oct 2008

Absolutely brilliant, my favourite so far by a clear margin. Well done.
 brieflyback 18 Oct 2008

Just brilliant. Could easily be expanded with other people's tales, and make an excellent doco.
 Wil Treasure 18 Oct 2008

Good job!
 Simon 18 Oct 2008
In reply to AlisonS:

Ha - what a lovely skit - Nick waffling on was great - it left me wondering though if Paul ever got to do the second pitch!

Si
 TobyA 18 Oct 2008
In reply to Mick Ryan - UKClimbing.com: Brilliant Alison!

The first time I ever met Paul he walked into the shop where I worked and asked if there was a brew on, which come to think about it was pretty much exactly what he did every time I met him over the next few years. He also told me it was disgusting not wearing socks in rock shoes - a point he made quite forcefully. I think I had been laughing at him for being the first OTE cover boy ever to have been wearing socks in their photo!

Not nearly as exciting as Nick's story and wouldn't have made such a great video.

It's good that more than a decade later we still all talk about him. That's says a lot about a man.
StefW 20 Oct 2008
In reply to Mick Ryan - UKClimbing.com: What a wonderful little film! Especially nice to see something so good produced by a woman. Makes it very special.

Pepe the King Prawn 20 Oct 2008
In reply to Mick Ryan - UKClimbing.com: Definitely the best of the lot so far. Actually interesting!
Removed User 20 Oct 2008

An excellent and interesting short film, great watch.
 Mick Ward 20 Oct 2008

Beautiful... just beautiful. Says so much about Nick and Paul.

Interestingly, I had a similar belaying 'moment' with Noddy about twenty feet away in one direction... as did Andy Parkin and Paul Mitchell about twenty feet away in another direction. Did we all have Stoney belaying epics? Probably.

But this is a beauty. Well done.

Mick
 Tom Last 20 Oct 2008

Nice one, quality. Love the commentary on the wall before the fall, the bloke's a real gift to the camera.

Just a slight dodgyness with the sound at points.
Brilliant, would get my vote.
 Morgan Woods 20 Oct 2008
In reply to StefW:
> (In reply to Mick Ryan - UKClimbing.com) What a wonderful little film! Especially nice to see something so good produced by a woman. Makes it very special.

yeah coz usually they're rubbish ;p
 net 20 Oct 2008
In reply to Mick Ryan - UKClimbing.com: Fantastic!
 Jack Geldard 20 Oct 2008
In reply to Mick Ryan - UKClimbing.com: Alison - what a great film.

Superb, really enjoyed it.

Jack
 babychick 20 Oct 2008
In reply to StefW:
> (In reply to Mick Ryan - UKClimbing.com) Especially nice to see something so good produced by a woman.

I hope, StefW, that by this statement, you're not implying that women don't usually produce good things!!....

Especially nice, ....and special for me to see, as it has my husband in it!!
Nick Colton 22 Oct 2008

Many thanks for everyone's really positive comments. It's very generous, and it really is appreciated.

Cheers, nick
 Monk 22 Oct 2008

That is a really great little video. I love it. Definitely one of the top two so far.
 Mattyk 22 Oct 2008
Brilliant: well done!
 tanssop 26 Oct 2008

Fantastic clip.
 kevin stephens 02 Nov 2008
In reply to Nick Colton:

Nick, I've just seen this, awsome! I like the way it packs so much evocation of the time into a short film
Removed User 03 Nov 2008

I'll watch this when I go home. I met Paul Williams when he was DMM rep. I knew of him but didn't realise for a while this person was in fact he. Great bloke, very wired. He talked about DMM's new gear for a couple of minutes then drank tea and blethered non-stop for an hour about climbing (making him very late for his next appointment). He went on at length about Centurion on the Ben (as I'm Scottish) and all the places he wanted to climb in Scotland. A sad loss of what seemed like a great character.
Removed User 05 Nov 2008

Fabulous wee film, well done all. Made me smile.
 AlisonS 08 Nov 2008
Many thanks to everyone for your kind comments. It's appreciated. I really enjoyed making this film, I've learned a lot from it and it's inspired me to want to go on and make more.
 SCC 14 Nov 2008
In reply to Jack Geldard - Editor - UKC:

Superb, really enjoyed watching it.

Really enjoyed this. Well done Alison.
 Chris Craggs Global Crag Moderator 14 Nov 2008

Excellent stuff - nice whipper (x2!)

Chris

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...