UKC

VIDEO: Packing for Mountain Cragging

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 UKC Articles 03 Nov 2021

Rob Greenwood talks through what he would pack for a mountain cragging day.

Read more

Will Hunt 03 Nov 2021
In reply to UKC Articles:

That bookshelf is a serious flex.

In reply to Will Hunt:

> That bookshelf is a serious flex.

It's to compensate for all the things I forgot to mention within the video.

That said, having re-watched the video I appear to have packed the world's largest rucksack...although I'm sure someone will be on to let me know what I've missed...

Post edited at 16:27
 Sean Kelly 03 Nov 2021

Pretty identical to how I pack a sac Rob, but no mention of a compass, and whilst no problem climbing in the Pass, a high crag (think Shelterstone) in thick mist can be a nightmare to navigate.

Post edited at 19:33
 Rick Graham 03 Nov 2021
In reply to Sean Kelly:

Tbf Rob did mention a compass and knowing how to use it.

I was  surprised at only one 120 sling. 

Light over trousers for me over a bothy bag.

Wow, I never thought that I would see the day.

Rockfax admitting that their guidebooks are unwieldy and unfit for purpose.

Feeling smug 😊

In reply to Presley Whippet:

> Wow, I never thought that I would see the day.

> Rockfax admitting that their guidebooks are unwieldy and unfit for purpose.

> Feeling smug 😊

I'm expecting my P45 to come through any day now...

In reply to Rick Graham:

> Tbf Rob did mention a compass and knowing how to use it.

Phew, I'm glad I got it in there somewhere, as that would have been an oversight!

> I was  surprised at only one 120 sling. 

Funnily enough, this is an oversight as I usually carry two - one for each belay (assuming you're multi-pitching). No reason not to carry more either. I genuinely think slings are one of the most underrated bits of kit, as they're as versatile as they are light.

More-On 03 Nov 2021
In reply to Rob Greenwood - UKClimbing:

To be fair Rob you do say 'at least one' with regard to long slings and suggest more is good, so all fine there.

I would though take issue with your suggestion that it is a big rucsac - it's not even in three figures in litre terms!

And yes I am kidding, but with my history of over-packing (hence my user name) it would be rude not to...

Sean Kelly 04 Nov 2021
In reply to Rick Graham:

> Tbf Rob did mention a compass and knowing how to use it.

My mistake, must have bypassed me.

rachcrewe 04 Nov 2021
In reply to Rick Graham:

> I was  surprised at only one 120 sling. 

Me too. I wanted to throw slings at Rob during the take! I carry at least four. Maybe an indication of the discrepancy of grade between Rob and me.

> Light over trousers for me over a bothy bag.

Interesting. I could agree depending on the circumstances. You can get some tiny group shelters and some tiny-packed over trousers. 

neilh 04 Nov 2021

What no toilet paper or drink bottle.....lol.....

I usally split hardware into 1 person carries all the quick draws and the other the " metal ware". Any walk more than an hour involves arguments over whose rack we are taking (  a rack can evlove over time into something quite personal)  and then somebody sneeking in their favourite or extra runners after an agreement has been reached.

Fun and games..

I notice  as you get older you carry more... the follies of youth.

In reply to neilh:

> What no toilet paper or drink bottle.....lol.....

Before coming in with the criticism it's probably worth watching the video, because I talk about water and the options available (i.e. bottle and/or flask) at 5:20.

When it comes to toilet paper, my take on it is this: why leave waste when nature provides perfectly suitable alternatives? Whilst I'm aware that leaves and moss aren't everyone's choice, it tends to be mine.

What I should have included, but didn't, was a small trowel to bury any waste.

Post edited at 13:37
 neilh 04 Nov 2021

No citicism intended at all...just missed that bit when watching vid.

Often surprised at how personal packing a sac is for a day in the mountain is, even though most people carry virually the same gear.Often leads to entertaining and thought provoking conversations for which should in theory be a simple subject.

timjones 04 Nov 2021

> Whilst I'm aware that leaves and moss aren't everyone's choice, it tends to be mine.

It rather depends on the weather, leaves and moss aren't much fun when they are sodden.  They tend to stick to your arse and wind up looking like you are doing the waddle of shame

Post edited at 14:12
In reply to timjones:

> It rather depends on the weather, leaves and moss aren't much fun when they are sodden.  They tend to stick to your arse and wind up looking like you are doing the waddle of shame

In my experience, moss is better whilst wet; leaves, less so...

Makes me think a group test/review is in order sometime

ebdon 04 Nov 2021
In reply to timjones:

Wet moss is the ultimate luxury! Dry pine needles on the other hand....

In reply to ebdon:

> Wet moss is the ultimate luxury! Dry pine needles on the other hand....

This review is writing itself...

Robert Durran 04 Nov 2021
In reply to ebdon:

> Wet moss is the ultimate luxury! Dry pine needles on the other hand....

Heather is not great either - leaves you picking the bits out for days. Anyway, I'm a wet vegetation person. Wet wipes were invented for a reason.

neilh 04 Nov 2021
In reply to Robert Durran:

I will stick with a couple of sheets of soft biodegradable toilet paper. 

There are never  any leaves or moss when you need them. Wiping hands on grass is not ideal either.  !

Mick Ward 04 Nov 2021

Really good, comprehensive article.

I guess, like many others, I was running a mental checklist. We can quibble (about wet moss?) but I think most people's mental checklist got pretty well covered. 

And for people making early trips to mountain crags, this article must be a godsend.  

Mick

Sean Kelly 04 Nov 2021
In reply to Robert Durran:

> Heather is not great either -

Beat me to it!

Wet wipes are a no-no! But if we were all convert to using moss what affect will this have on the peat bogs and global warming?

Post edited at 20:12
 Twiggy Diablo 06 Nov 2021

> When it comes to toilet paper, my take on it is this: why leave waste when nature provides perfectly suitable alternatives? Whilst I'm aware that leaves and moss aren't everyone's choice, it tends to be mine.

> What I should have included, but didn't, was a small trowel to bury any waste.

At the weekend I realised that one of my son’s pull-up nappies makes a really convenient improvised crag toilet (Granted disposables aren’t great for the environment either, but you can re-use ones they’ve only pee’d in).

And before anyone says it, no you don’t actually put them on.

teknojon 07 Nov 2021

boringly inspired by 'safety on mountains'  -  a rescue whistle each

& would it break the camel's back to add a space blanket?

(both of these items might be for issues outside of your group.)

also - is it me or did _'the ability to make fire'_ skip the vid?

(bakkup batteries for headtorch, gaiters & inner plakky bags for spare clothes etc)

>>>ANY GROUP MEMBER DEPENDEDNT MEDICATION<<<

(sorry for shouting)

gawdd! smidge or deet!!  (also less this time of year; sun block & glasses)

& utterly optional; pen&paper & w.proof case for phone.

hope that helps someone!     :-j

rachcrewe 09 Nov 2021
In reply to teknojon:

> also - is it me or did _'the ability to make fire'_ skip the vid?

Making a fire in the UK upland environment is not recommended. It is difficult to do due to the inclement weather and lack of burnable fuel but also because environmentally it causes long lasting damage to the soil structure, taking up to seventeen years to return to how it was before the fire was made. I've seen a few criticisms of us not carrying a way to make fire during this film series which is interesting. Amongst the mountain professional community we would not advocate making fire in the British mountains. Better to bring a flask and it is why a group shelter is always included in the list. 

In reply to teknojon:

> & would it break the camel's back to add a space blanket?

I would much rather carry a belay jacket, as it's not only significantly warmer, but it's also far more functional (insofar as you can wear it, rather than just wrap it around you). A space blanket will reflect a bit of heat, and help keep the wind off you, but it'll also flap around loads and let out almost as much heat as it saves you. They're an absolute last resort, which - if you had a half decent belay jacket - you wouldn't have to resort to.

> also - is it me or did _'the ability to make fire'_ skip the vid?

Beyond the bounds of bushcraft I really don't see the relevance. Were I to live on a different continent my answer might change, but within the UK - fire is not what is going to keep you warm within the upland environment (a belay jacket is).

> (bakkup batteries for headtorch, gaiters & inner plakky bags for spare clothes etc)

I tend not to carry backup batteries simply because battery life is so good these days. In many ways you're better carrying another lightweight torch anyway, because that way there's a bit of redundancy if you're other torch breaks. 

When it comes to gaiters and other individual choices, they're exactly that - they're individual choices. Within this thread you'll see a load of other opinions on what to pack and the ones featured within the video are mine. These act as a good intro, but I'd always encourage people to dial down their own systems based around whatever works for them.

In the same vein, use common sense and pack according to the conditions of wherever you're going on the day (e.g. if you're climbing in Scotland in midsummer, take smidge and sun cream; if it's forecast to rain, carry a waterproof).

>        >>>ANY GROUP MEMBER DEPENDEDNT MEDICATION<<<

This sounds like you're coming from an instructional point of view, where there's a duty of care, which is a little different to how individuals approach packing (i.e. "what kit do I need" vs. "what kit might my group require"). If you need medication, take medication.

TurnipPrincess 09 Nov 2021

It works well in the UK, but not necessarily in other countries.

Reminds me of when my climbing partner got a diarrhea in Morocco at the bottom of a crag. We didn't have bog roll so he had to use very angular bits of rock

Robert Durran 09 Nov 2021
In reply to TurnipPrincess:

> It works well in the UK, but not necessarily in other countries.

> Reminds me of when my climbing partner got a diarrhea in Morocco at the bottom of a crag. We didn't have bog roll so he had to use very angular bits of rock

I often use rocks if appropriate vegetation is not available.Works surprisingly well. And yes, it is a matter of getting suitably angled blunt edges.

Myfyr Tomos 09 Nov 2021
In reply to neilh:

Rockfax pages? A bit glossy when dry, but...   in times of need.

In reply to Myfyr Tomos:

Yet another advantage of the "old style" guide books, matt finish pages are so much more absorbent.

Another shoe for my hobby horse. 

teknojon 17 Nov 2021
In reply to rachcrewe:

fair & my bad for not indicating that this is last resort kit not recreational

(thinking about it, crags are probably fairly wood free) 

thankyou for advising!

:-j

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...