UKC

NEWS: Paul Pritchard climbs first New Route in 21 Years

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 UKC News 30 Aug 2018
Paul Pritchard has established his first new route in 21 years since his accident on the Totem Pole off the coast of Tasmania in 1998. Paul was a highly accomplished climber and mountaineer with first ascents on the Torre Central del Paine and the West Face of Mount Asgard to his name before the accident changed the course of his life. While beginning an ascent of the iconic sea-stack, Paul's rope dislodged a block, which impacted his head and resulted in hemiplegia - paralysis of one side of the body - as well as speech and memory difficulties.

Read more
 Sl@te Head 30 Aug 2018
In reply to UKC News:

Awesome and inspiring

Post edited at 11:49
 deacondeacon 30 Aug 2018
In reply to UKC News:

Paul 'is' a highly accomplished climber, not 'was' a highly accomplished climber  

In reply to deacondeacon:

Of course Amended.

Mick Ward 30 Aug 2018
In reply to UKC News:

'Once at the belay I looked over my shoulder and saw two seals frolicking around. My boy, Eli, followed the climb, so it was the first new route we have done together.'

Wow!  Brought tears to my eyes.

Mick

DonnyDave 30 Aug 2018
In reply to UKC News:

Very touched by the line "nowadays I don't climb for difficulty - just walking down the street is difficult.". I'm glad that you did not include the grade of the climb, not relivant at all, just the fun and joy of climbing for someone who obviously still gets lots of pleasure from it. Amazing stuff Paul. 

Fiend 30 Aug 2018
In reply to UKC News:

93,000,000 Miles is E4 not E6!

I did it on a whim a couple of years ago, it was a really cool adventure, I never knew it was his "last" first ascent, it feels more special now. 

Great for him that he's keeping going and keeping the psyche.

In reply to UKC News:

Paul is truly inspirational and this ascent is a lesson for all of us.

In my case no more moaning about my ailments...... 

In reply to UKC News:

What a legend!! Nice one Paul! 

In reply to UKC News: Brilliant, inspirational

Henry Iddon 31 Aug 2018
In reply to UKC News:

Great stuff. I remember him as the King of Wilton. 

DerwentDiluted 01 Sep 2018
In reply to UKC News:

Got something in my eye...

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...