UKC

FRI NIGHT VID: Underdeveloped - Climbing in Ireland

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 UKC News 01 May 2020
UnderDeveloped

This week's Friday Night Video is Ricky Bell's 2007 film UnderDeveloped. Filmed throughout on a set of second hand video cameras, travelling to all the major crags in worn out cars, the film captures not only bold first ascents, rare repeats of modern classics but also the humour and banter that is intricate with the climbing scene in Ireland.

Read more
 Mick Ward 01 May 2020
In reply to UKC News:

Great film!

Mick

olddirtydoggy 01 May 2020
In reply to UKC News:

There's been some great films on here lately, it's starting to feel like a climbing website again. Love this kind of content.

JohnV 02 May 2020
In reply to UKC News:

I LOVED this film when it first came out- really fantastic to watch it again, thanks!

Martin Hore 02 May 2020
In reply to UKC News:

Young, carefree and brilliant!

Not seen it before - thanks UKC for posting this again.

Martin

Robert Durran 02 May 2020
In reply to UKC News:

I'd forgotten just how brilliant this is. I even like the music (well, most of it.... ). But a bit scary that its 13 years old!

jon 02 May 2020
In reply to Robert Durran:

> I'd forgotten just how brilliant this is. I even like the music (well, most of it.... ). But a bit scary that its 13 years old!

Yes, brilliant. That's not the only scary bit though. I thought the masterclass in how to kick out your only runner was pretty worrying too...

misterb 02 May 2020
In reply to jon:

I think that he has an amazing mindset that guy. All styles, angles, rock types and bold does not sum it up. 

Amazing climber for sure

alan moore 02 May 2020
In reply to UKC News:

One of those rare films where you’re not sure what you are most impressed by; the routes or the climbers!

Dave Garnett 04 May 2020
In reply to Mick Ward:

Such a great atmosphere!

But it does suddenly make me feel old...

Mick Ward 04 May 2020
In reply to Dave Garnett:

If it's any consolation, they probably feel a little bit that way themselves. The film is 13 years old, so some of the footage is probably nearer 15 years. The difference between carefree 19 and not quite so carefree 34.

The film is so lovely the way it catches a generation magically coming of age. Those days are golden. You might climb harder - or give up entirely, or, more likely, be somewhere in between - but a part of you will always look back wistfully at that carefree time.

A few years ago, a history of Irish climbing was written. Although lots of people with whom I climbed were in it, many on  a 'what we did on our holidays' basis, Ricky Bell wasn't mentioned once. I was so incensed I threw the book across the room.

Still, t'was ever thus...

Mick

jon 04 May 2020
In reply to Mick Ward:

> Ricky Bell wasn't mentioned once. I was so incensed I threw the book across the room.

Well if ever there was a cue........

Lankyman 04 May 2020
In reply to UKC News:

Excellent stuff! And I'm amazed there's a route in there I've actually done. No bus tourists when I topped out after taking 5 times longer in a futile attempt to fiddle some crap wires in ....

Rad 06 May 2020

Great film. Loads of quality climbing and the spirit of youth.

Non-judgmental question: do some folks wear helmets when climbing these or other routes where a fall of 15-30 feet on slabby terrain with bad landings is a real possibility? I didn't see any in the video. Just curious what the culture is then and now. Old versus young climbers. There's quite a wide range of habits here in the US in this regard.

rockcat 14 May 2020
In reply to UKC News:

Great video but spoiled by the quality.

Jezadee 29 May 2020
In reply to rockcat:

UnderDeveloped is the definition of quality.

Makes me wanna go home!

Post edited at 15:32

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...