UKC

Airplane on a conveyor belt - conundrum

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
pale ale 20 Jul 2006
A freind emailed me this, just wondered what you guys thought?

A plane is standing on a runway that can move (some sort of band conveyer). The plane moves in one direction, while the conveyer moves in the opposite direction. This conveyer has a control system that tracks the plane speed and tunes the speed of the conveyer to be exactly the same (but in the opposite direction). Can the plane take off?

What do you think? I think it would, but not telling why
 nick nc 20 Jul 2006
In reply to pale ale: No, because it's airspeed thats important, not ground speed. That's why planes take off into the wind. I would have thought this was fairly obvious.
pale ale 20 Jul 2006
In reply to nick nc:
> (In reply to pale ale) No, because it's airspeed thats important, not ground speed. That's why planes take off into the wind. I would have thought this was fairly obvious.

And where does a plane get it's airspeed from?
 Matthew B 20 Jul 2006
In reply to pale ale:

Yes, of course it will - the wheels can be spinning backwards for all the plane cares!
 Alun 20 Jul 2006
In reply to pale ale:
This was done to death several months ago, resulting in a thread several hundred responses long. The correct answer is this:

The plane will NOT take off, because the question states that the speed of the runway will be exactly the same as the speed of the plane (presumably, the rotational speed of the wheels). Thus, no matter how much thrust is applied, the wheels cannot move forward - it is as if they have a brake of infinate power applied.

HOWEVER, many people don't understand the question. If the runway is merely 'on rollers' i.e. not powered, then the plane will take off with the wheels moving at twice the speed the would usually; because the thrust is coming from the air, not the ground.

That's all there is to it. Anybody disagrees, you're wrong!
Ian Straton 20 Jul 2006
In reply to pale ale: we've done this before!

Unless the plane can move forward it can't take off since the conveyor prevents the plane moving forward therefore it can't fly.

That is all.

(unless the engines are cabable of moving the entire atmosphere backwards at 150mph....)
 Richard 20 Jul 2006
In reply to Matthew B:

The plane pushes against the air, not the conveyer belt, so as long as there is no friction of course the plane will take off. If there is friction and the conveyor belt is capable of rapidly accelerating to near-infinite speeds, and the bearings of the wheels are capable of taking such speeds, it's possible to conceive of there being supfficient frictional drag to hold the plane back.

In any realistic, physically limited interpretation, the plane will take off.
 tony 20 Jul 2006
In reply to pale ale:

>Can the plane take off?
>
No, of course not. Planes take off as a result of lift generated by the movement of air above and below the wings. As you've described it, the plane is not moving through the air, so there is no air flowing over the wings and so no lift is generated and the plane stays on the conyeor belt going nowhere.
 markAut 20 Jul 2006
In reply to pale ale:
Been done to death......

http://www.ukclimbing.com/forums/t.php?t=162217&v=1#2310749

IIRC it all depends if you do it as a perfect thought experiment, or if you allow nasty things like friction to get in the way.
 Ridge 20 Jul 2006
In reply to pale ale:

No, it won't take off. You need air flow over the wings. The plane is to all intents and purposes stationary, so there is no air flow to create lift.
 Alun 20 Jul 2006
In reply to Matthew B:
> the wheels can be spinning backwards for all the plane cares!

That is wrong. If the wheels have infinate high friction with the surface, and there is an infinately high brake applied, the plane cannot move. Despite the fact that forward momemtum is applied by thrust, if the plane is anchored to the ground, it will not move, and so won't take off.
loopyone 20 Jul 2006
In reply to pale ale: no it wont its the air rushing over the wings that produces the pressure change around the wings that gives the plane its lift if its on a conveyor its not moving through the 'air' so no pressure change occurs
 Alun 20 Jul 2006
In reply to Richard:
> In any realistic, physically limited interpretation, the plane will take off.

The perfect engineers answer! (and I mean that as a compliment!)
 Richard 20 Jul 2006
In reply to Alun:

Thanks! Of course that's what it's all about, isn't it? Someone actually wants to know what would happen in the real world...?"
 Matthew B 20 Jul 2006
In reply to Alun:

Where did infinate[sic] high friction come from?!

Nothing in the original question indicated the plane is anchored anywhere.
pale ale 20 Jul 2006
In reply to tatty112:
> (In reply to pale ale) no it wont its the air rushing over the wings that produces the pressure change around the wings that gives the plane its lift if its on a conveyor its not moving through the 'air' so no pressure change occurs

So if you push a toy car at 5 mph along a conveyor belt going in the opposite direction at 5 mph, your saying the car would not be moving? I think it would
After all, it's not the wheels that are pushing the toy car, its your hand, and your hand doesn't know about, let alone care, about the conveyor belt. Same for the plane, the engines pushing the plane forward aren't really that bothered in what the wheels are doing.
XXXX 20 Jul 2006
In reply to Alun:
> (In reply to Richard)
> [...]
>
> The perfect engineers answer! (and I mean that as a compliment!)

Agreed, with both responses. I used to think otherwise so I can't mock anyone that thinks it won't.
 Ridge 20 Jul 2006
In reply to Richard:
> (In reply to Alun)
>
> Thanks! Of course that's what it's all about, isn't it? Someone actually wants to know what would happen in the real world...?"

Well in the real world you wouldn't stick your flight to Malaga on the conveyor belt in the first place
 Alun 20 Jul 2006
In reply to Matthew B:
Sigh. It's supposed to be a thought experiment - or do you think that building a conveyer belt with an infinately fast feedback loop so that it can travel at the same speed as the plane is realistic? :P

Richard's answer explains very well in 'realism' terms.
mik 20 Jul 2006
In reply to pale ale:

nope. not unless the air is glued to the conveyr belt and therefor moves aswell.
 Alun 20 Jul 2006
In reply to Kenny:
> is it a VTOL?

lol. Sod off Kenny.
 Ridge 20 Jul 2006
In reply to mik:
> (In reply to pale ale)
>
> unless the air is glued to the conveyr belt and therefor moves aswell.

Inspired thinking!
pale ale 20 Jul 2006
In reply to mik:
> (In reply to pale ale)
>
> nope. not unless the air is glued to the conveyr belt and therefor moves aswell.

air glue - my god this would help my climbing
 Matthew B 20 Jul 2006
In reply to Alun:

It's not realistic, but it *is* given in the question... on the other hand, even the likes of Easyjet manage to lubricate their wheel bearings occassionally

I still reckon it takes off.
Twig 20 Jul 2006
In reply to pale ale: If you push a car along at 5mph and the conveyor belt is going the other way at 5mph, although the car wheels are moving, the car is STATIONARY! Any stationary object cannot have an airflow (have you felt any breeze through your hair on a treadmill? no? perhaps that's why they have fans in gyms).
Wings need an airflow to create lift. No lift = brick. To get this to work the conveyor belt would need to be in a wind tunnel.

Oops - time to get off my soapbox. I blame the heat. or the government. Or the young people of today.
 Richard 20 Jul 2006
In reply to mik:
> (In reply to pale ale)
>
> nope. not unless the air is glued to the conveyr belt and therefor moves aswell.

Now you mention it, air does have a viscosity and therefore momentum will be transferred to the air, creating a flow over the aircraft.

So it may take off vertically after all...
XXXX 20 Jul 2006
In reply to pale ale:

Does the plane have one of those cords to attach to it's waistband like treadmills do for runners?

OP Anonymous 20 Jul 2006
In reply to pale ale:

what is providing the lift for it to take off?

is it air rushing forward to replace the air sucked in by the engines, thus generating airspeed and differential flow over the upper and lower wing surfaces ?
 Ridge 20 Jul 2006
In reply to pale ale:

In the interests of maintaining the standards of pedantry on these fora, please note that it's an aeroplane, not an airplane..
 Richard 20 Jul 2006
In reply to Twig:
> (In reply to pale ale) If you push a car along at 5mph and the conveyor belt is going the other way at 5mph, although the car wheels are moving, the car is STATIONARY!

<pedant>
If you're pushing a car at 5 mph, the car is moving at 5 mph. It makes no sense to attempt to define 5 mph as stationary...

Think in terms of forces and thus accelerations, not speeds.
</pedant>
 galpinos 20 Jul 2006
In reply to Richard:
> (In reply to Matthew B)
>
> The plane pushes against the air, not the conveyer belt, so as long as there is no friction of course the plane will take off. If there is friction and the conveyor belt is capable of rapidly accelerating to near-infinite speeds, and the bearings of the wheels are capable of taking such speeds, it's possible to conceive of there being supfficient frictional drag to hold the plane back.
>
> In any realistic, physically limited interpretation, the plane will take off.

What are you talking about? It won't take off.

The flight of a airplane is caused by a pressure difference caused by differing air speeds over the aerofoil that are the wings, causing the plane to be pulled of the ground.

The key phrase here is "air speeds", the air needs to be moving over the wings.

In the case stated by the OP, the speed of the airplance relative to the air is zero, no air flow over the wing, no pressure difference, no flight.
 Richard 20 Jul 2006
In reply to Ridge:

> In the interests of maintaining the standards of pedantry on these fora, please note that it's an aeroplane, not an airplane..

... and the correct abbreviation is thus 'plane, not plane.
XXXX 20 Jul 2006
In reply to Twig:

I warn you, do not be so certain or superior. It may come back to haunt you. It WILL take off.

If the car was being driven by it's engine then no it wouldn't move but it isn't. It's a toy car and you're pushing it. Are you saying that if you hold a toy car on a moving treadmill that it will go backwards? If you begin to then move the car at the speed of the treadmill will it stay still?

I don't know why I'm getting involved, again.

Matthew B 20 Jul 2006
In reply to Twig:

In both the examples you've given (car, running) the forward motion is achieved through friction with the ground, and therefore not the same thing at all.
 Richard 20 Jul 2006
In reply to galpinos:

> What are you talking about? It won't take off.

Aie! Think about the forces involved.

The engines apply force to the air, not to the track. That is, they drag air past the wings and, by throwing that air backwards, generate thrust.

The only way the conveyer belt can stop the plane from moving is if it applies an equal and opposite force, through the wheels. If there is no friction, this cannot happen regardless of how fast the conveyer belt is moving. It is only if you take friction into account that you can imagine there being any braking force on the plane at all.
 Smitz 20 Jul 2006
In reply to galpinos:
> In the case stated by the OP, the speed of the airplance relative to the air is zero, no air flow over the wing, no pressure difference, no flight.

Wrong. Just because there is a conveyor belt spinning the wheels at some crazy speed, does NOT mean that the plane is stationary. Airplane engines provide forward aceleration, which result in airspeed, which results in take off. Again, what the wheels are doing has no effect on this situation. The engines will pull the 'plane forward whether the wheels are going forward, backwards, or have been replaced by a mule train.
pale ale 20 Jul 2006
In reply to Eric the Red:
> I don't know why I'm getting involved, again.

Because it's fun wathcing people who are 110% certain that the plane won't take off be proven wrong. When they could just go to google and find the proof explained in various degrees of technicality
 galpinos 20 Jul 2006
In reply to Richard & Smitz:

Good point well made, not really thought this through. I guess the wheels just keep the aeroplne of the ground.

I stand corrected gentlemen.
 SARS 20 Jul 2006
It's a 'trick' question. When you first think about it the question makes you (well it did to me) forget that there's an engine pushing air past the plane. You initially just concentrate on the wheels.

Bernouilli basically.
mik 20 Jul 2006
In reply to Smitz:

thought the engines is pushing it forward.
But no matter how much thrust the engines gives, the plane is not moving forward other than in comparison to the converybelt. and i think lift is quite ignorant to what goes on below it. It will only care wheter air is moving over/under wint at big enough speed to create the lift needed.
 EdEd 20 Jul 2006
In reply to pale ale:

I've been reading this now going back and forth and i beleive there is only one way to sort it, we'll get a plane............. fly to cuba, drink rum and fight over it on a beach. Skins (or non-beleivers) vs Shirts (or bee leavers) the last swat standing wins.

who's up for it? say I
Mr Goose 20 Jul 2006
In reply to pale ale:

OK.

Assume everyone agrees an ordinary plane at rest will not take off.

Now in an ordinary runway, engines are used to accelerate airflow through the engines to create thrust. Thrust, or force, will accelerate the aircraft down the runway (Newton's first) causing airflow over the wings. The Bernoulli's principle then suggests that the wings will produce lift and the aircraft may take off.

Now in this case, we have thrust, a moving runway, and zero velocity relative to the air and the earth. An observer stood in the tower would observe an aircraft at rest. Ergo the aircraft will not take off as there is no airflow over the wings to produce lift.

Put another way, the moving runway is equivalent to the engine tests all aircraft perform prior to takeoff. The engines are powered up while the brakes are applied, and low and behold, with zero airspeed the aircraft has zero lift and will not take off. The brakes and the moving runway are equivalent, and all this talk of friction in the air causing it to move is irrelevant. It does not take off with brakes applied and sure as hell will not take off with a rolling runway.

Regards

Goose
 Ridge 20 Jul 2006
In reply to Richard:
> (In reply to Ridge)
>
> [...]
>
> ... and the correct abbreviation is thus 'plane, not plane.

Thank you. I will do better in future...
 rallymania 20 Jul 2006
In reply to Matthew B:
sounds like this one has been answered now! the wheels on an aeroplane are not "driven" so do not provide the forward motion (which is just as well really otherwise you'd get the thing in the air and it would suddenly start loosing it's forward momentum, leading to a suprisingly short flight)
'plane is sitting on the belt, belt starts moving backwards with the plane
pilot applies enough throttle to keep the plane steady in relation to the ground (not the belt) air flow over the wings (unless plane is pointing into a 150mph wind) will be insufficient to provide lift.
engines will have to provide enough thrust to counter and action of the belt trying to push the 'plane backwards and generate enough forward velocity against the airflow to generate lift on the wings (previous posts provided a decent enough explaination as to how that works)
in practical terms i imagine that the plane could be coaxed into leaving the ground if it had enough thrust to do the above....
now go away and leave us alone
Twig 20 Jul 2006
In reply to SARS: In reply to the pedants regarding forces etc etc: engines in aeroplanes use newton's law to push the body of the plane forwards. Until the body of the plane is moving fast enough, the wind speed over the wings is not enough to create lift.
If the engines could push enough air over the wings then planes could take off vertically without runways.
Jet engines can be sited anywhere to provide the thrust for the aeroplane to get it moving forwards.
If having an aeroplane on a conveyor belt could generate lift, then formula 1 would be testing cars on rolling roads to check wing positioning rather than wind tunnels.
Yorkspud 20 Jul 2006
In reply to pale ale:

FAO moderators

Can we finish this tedious gunk please? Or start a separate forum for misled punters.
Twig 20 Jul 2006
In reply to Twig: Sorry Mr Goose, you can type quicker than me!
mik 20 Jul 2006
In reply to Mr Goose:

Nicely put.

The explanation i found on google for why it do take up was funny.
Especialy since they seems to belive the Engines create the airflow over the wing.
And also they mention the length of the convery belt as somthing which matters, hahahahaahahahahahahah
pale ale 20 Jul 2006
In reply to mik:
> But no matter how much thrust the engines gives, the plane is not moving forward

Why what's stopping it? the engines are pushing forward through stationary air. the conveyor belt is simply a red herring designed to make us think of cars which are propelled forward by friction between the wheels and the ground. A plane (sorry, a 'plane!) only uses it's wheels to decrease the friction between the earth and itself. Whether the wheels are spinning in one direction or the other, they are still only friction removers, they are not providing any forward force to the 'plane. Therefore, the wheel's speed and direction is irrelevant to the forward thrust provided by the engines. Therefore, the plane accelerates forward, and eventually takes off. If you still don't believe me, just go to google
mik 20 Jul 2006
In reply to pale ale:

go read Gooses post, if you cant understand it there u never will.
 Hairy Pete 20 Jul 2006
In reply to EdEd:
> (In reply to pale ale)
>
> I've been reading this now going back and forth and i beleive there is only one way to sort it, we'll get a plane............. fly to cuba, drink rum and fight over it on a beach.

I'm up for that ... but isn't Cuba in the wrong direction ? According some of the replies above, there's no way you'll get the plane to take off in an east-west direction considering the rotation of the earth!

HP
 Chris Harris 20 Jul 2006
In reply to SARS:
> It's a 'trick' question. When you first think about it the question makes you (well it did to me) forget that there's an engine pushing air past the plane. You initially just concentrate on the wheels.
>
> Bernouilli basically.

So if the engines can drag enough air over the wings to provide enough lift, why do they bother building runways?

SARS 20 Jul 2006
In reply to mik:

> Especialy since they seems to belive the Engines create the airflow over the wing.

Well... if I have some big f*ck off prop engine which weighs nothing at the front of my wings, that's exactly what will happen. So it all depends upon whether you're talking about theoretically or realistically...
Ian Straton 20 Jul 2006
In reply to pale ale: the point you are missing about aircraft wheels is that although they are not powered the aeroplane is attached to them, and your setup suggests a perfect feedback between the weheels and the runway. That is to say that no matter howfast they spin they will not move forward relative to an observer not on the runway. If the wheels do not move forward relative to our observer then neither can the aeroplane, if the aeroplane is not moving forwards relative to our our observer then it cannot generate lift, without lift it can't fly.

please demonstrate to me how the aeroplane can move forward without it's wheels.
pale ale 20 Jul 2006
In reply to Mr Goose:
> Now in this case, we have thrust, a moving runway, and zero velocity relative to the air and the earth.

Incorrect assumption. I'm not going to post any more, this is a well known, old, and well answered conundrum, the solution to which can be found on google in varying levels of techno speak.

In reply to mik: Again, maybe my explanations are at fault, but google this for a better explanation with images etc.
mik 20 Jul 2006
In reply to pale ale:
> (In reply to mik)
If you still don't believe me, just go to google

and for google i just did, see my previous reply
 Alun 20 Jul 2006
In reply to pale ale:

I don't know why I'm getting involved again either

> Because it's fun wathcing people who are 110% certain that the plane won't take off be proven wrong.

Except their not. I'll say it again, for the benefit of those not convinced. In the real world, of course it'll take off. But as a thought experiment (assuming infinate friction in some places, zero in others, and an infinately fast feedback loop between wheels and conveyor), it won't take off, cos it won't move.

See my first post on the thread, and better still, Richard's first post. That's all there is to it.

And I'm not going to look at this thread again. Honest.
mik 20 Jul 2006
In reply to pale ale:

the google explanation is full of crap just like yours.
So your doing as good as them.

Alun 20 Jul 2006
In reply to pale ale:
> Incorrect assumption. I'm not going to post any more, this is a well known, old, and well answered conundrum, the solution to which can be found on google in varying levels of techno speak.

Many of the google answers are written by engineers though, who are incapable of comprehending phrases such as 'infinate friction' and 'zero friction'. :P
 SARS 20 Jul 2006
So who's right then? I think the question needs to be refined to be more explicit.

Anyone?
 Ridge 20 Jul 2006
In reply to Mr Goose:
> (In reply to pale ale)
>
> OK.
>
> Now in this case, we have thrust, a moving runway, and zero velocity relative to the air and the earth. An observer stood in the tower would observe an aircraft at rest. Ergo the aircraft will not take off as there is no airflow over the wings to produce lift.

That was my first thought, but as someone pointed out, engines don't apply thrust through the wheels. Imagine the 'plane is on an incredibly slippy surface. If you tried to tow it it wouldn't move, as the tow trucks wheels would spin, just like the wheels on this imaginary conveyor belt. Apply thrust via the engines and it would slide forward and eventually get enough speed to take off.
mik 20 Jul 2006
In reply to Ridge:
we have been had.
guess because our minds are not usualy spending time on silly stuff like this.
But wheter pale ale think the engines create the airflow on wings or is fully aware she is just leading os on when we think that THEY want the airplane to stand still compared to anything but the convery belt.

Ian Straton 20 Jul 2006
In reply to Ridge: slippery surface isn't moving.

The setup in the op requires friction between the wheels and the road surface (otherwise neither would turn) think of it another way, turn off the aircrafts engines all together, attach a tow rope to the nose of the 'plane then attach the tow rope to a winch in front of the conveyor.

turn on the winch.

does the aeroplane move?

if yes, why?

if no, why would the aircrafts engines have a different effect to the winch?
 Ridge 20 Jul 2006
In reply to mik:
> (In reply to Ridge)
> we have been had.
> guess because our minds are not usualy spending time on silly stuff like this.

My excuse exactly.
Lets talk about important issues, like nice arses in tight harnesses...
pale ale 20 Jul 2006
In reply to mik:
> But wheter pale ale think the engines create the airflow on wings

Oh definately not, particularly as the engines usually hang underneath the engine
It's a stupid thought experiment, see my next conundrum post here: http://www.ukclimbing.com/forums/t.php?t=192665&new=2800539

jamiemoss 20 Jul 2006
In reply to pale ale:

These easiest way to convince yourself of the correct answer, I reckon, is not to try and think about the physics but to look at the real world:

1. Are there any tiny islands or aircraft carriers with conveyer belt runways? No.

2. Do aeroplanes always accelerate down a runway until they reach the correct air speed to take of? Yes!

Therefore we can be pretty sure that it is impossible for a plane to take off from stationary* - the plane on the convey belt will not take off! Case closed.

*VTOL are a special case and are excepted here!
mik 20 Jul 2006
In reply to pale ale:

yea i know.
but its not realy a thought experiment, its tricking people into thinking certain things
 Swirly 20 Jul 2006
In reply to pale ale: What if it's really windy?

Ridge 20 Jul 2006
In reply to Ian Straton:

I take it we're assuming infinate friction between the wheels and the stationary conveyor, for the aircraft not to move?
Otherwise yes, the winch would pull the aircraft forward off the conveyor.
XXXX 20 Jul 2006
To all non-believers.

The conveyor does not exert a braking force on the plane.

Why? Because the wheels are not connected to the drive system. They are free. If you lifted the plane in the air you could merrily spin the wheels for all your worth.

Therefore the engine accelerates the plane forwards and thus it takes off.

I'm not sure where you're coming from Alun, by the way.

Hairy Pete 20 Jul 2006
In reply to all RTFM

or RTFQ

it clearly states "The plane moves in one direction," the only assumption left open is that moves in a forward direction.
 Richard 20 Jul 2006
In reply to Mr Goose:

> Now in this case, we have thrust, a moving runway, and zero velocity relative to the air and the earth. An observer stood in the tower would observe an aircraft at rest. Ergo the aircraft will not take off as there is no airflow over the wings to produce lift.

The problem here is that you are defining the plane as being at rest relative to the ground (and hence the air) and not explaining how that comes about. It can be done, but requires friction to do so (and also, now that I've thought a bit more about the problem, angular momentum to accelerate the wheels - the consideration of which allows the plane not to take off even without friction). However, this is as thought experiment only, and requires almost infinite accelerations (and hence power), unworldly materials to take the stresses, and an unobtainably perfect feedback loop. So the question is constructed, from the ground up, to give the answer that the plane will not take off. If any of the above are not assumed, though, the plane will take off.
Ian Straton 20 Jul 2006
In reply to Ridge: no just normal friction, the point I am making is that despite the fact that the wheels are not powered unless they move forwards the aeroplane will remain stationary relative to everything except the conveyor.

If there is perfect feedback between the conveyor (which is moving) and the wheels (which turn due to contact friction with the conveyor) it doesn't matter where any motive force is applyed to the aircraft, it can't move relative to the airmass around it, therefore it cannot fly.

(the example of the winch would actually result in the winch being pulled towards the aeroplane)
Mr Goose 20 Jul 2006
In reply to pale ale:

Basically you, and possibly also Google (I can't be bothered to look), are wrong.

Sorry to put it bluntly, but having explained it in terms of secondary school physics (Newton etc), examples from real life (the engine tests) and confirmed the relative velocity point (with the observer in the tower) if you still can't understand, please leave it.

One final example: a Tristar aircraft - in service with HM RAF. In this example the engines are located on the rear of the aircaft body, in a cluster around the tail. If you accept that the lift comes from the main wings and not the tail wings, then you must surely see that the engines can not possibly draw enough airflow over the wings (given the distance and width of the wings) to create lift and allow take off.

On the concept of the relative velocity of the aircraft to the earth, I have defined my frame of reference (the guy in the tower) so there should be no confusion there. Now you seem to accept that the wing must have velocity relative to the air to produce lift (Secondary school physics classes). However with an assumed stationary airflow in the beginning of the test (no wind), I fail to see how the relative velocity is achieved, unless you believe the engines are moving a sufficient quantity of air. If you believe this, please read the engine test and Tristar examples above and before, and reconsider.

Regards,

Goose
(Ex RAFVR)

Richard 20 Jul 2006
In reply to Ian Straton:
> (In reply to Ridge) no just normal friction, the point I am making is that despite the fact that the wheels are not powered unless they move forwards the aeroplane will remain stationary relative to everything except the conveyor.
>
> If there is perfect feedback between the conveyor (which is moving) and the wheels (which turn due to contact friction with the conveyor) it doesn't matter where any motive force is applyed to the aircraft, it can't move relative to the airmass around it, therefore it cannot fly.

But there must be friction in the bearings (or, as I stated, a consideration of angular momentum) to transfer momentum from the conveyer belt to the plane through the wheels. Doesn't anyone do force-balance diagrams anymore?
Mr Goose 20 Jul 2006
In reply to Richard:

I amd defining the aircraft as being at rest relative to the tower as that was the original question.

I.e. the speed of the runway and the aircraft are equal and opposite and thus cancel each other out.

So if the aircraft, on a normal runway, would achieve 60mph (relative to the ground) for a given level of thrust, the moving runway moves at 60mph backwards => ergo the relative velocity of the aircraft to the ground is ZERO, and hence the tower observer would see an aircraft at rest.

Replace the belt with brakes and the effect is the same.
Pan Ron 20 Jul 2006
In reply to pale ale:
Why would the plane move forward? The moment the plane begins to roll forward the conveyor belt moves in the other direction at the same speed.

Assuming this relationship is instantaneous, the aircraft never has any airflow over (and under) the wing, therefore no lift is created. The aircraft never takes off.

Surely this is simple?
Ian Straton 20 Jul 2006
In reply to Richard: excuse me but where did I say there was no friction?

rich 20 Jul 2006
In reply to Mr Goose: i hear you - but the thing is when the plane takes off it doesn't take off vertically it takes off completely normally by accelerating down the 'rollers' exactly like it would on a normal runway
 SARS 20 Jul 2006
In reply to David Martin:
> Surely this is simple?

Oh dear....
 Richard 20 Jul 2006
In reply to Mr Goose:

> I amd defining the aircraft as being at rest relative to the tower as that was the original question.

But you cannot do that - you must explain where the force with that result comes from.

I'm not saying that you are wrong - I've given several explanations of where they might come from - but it is tautologous to say, "The 'plane is defined as not moving and therefore the plane cannot take off."
rich 20 Jul 2006
In reply to jamiemoss:

> 1. Are there any tiny islands or aircraft carriers with conveyer belt runways? No.

tiny islands are served by seaplanes
 Richard 20 Jul 2006
In reply to Ian Straton:

Sorry, you didn't. Just getting carried away...
mostly cloudy 20 Jul 2006
Are the people in this thread who believe it takes off actually serious or just having a laugh?

Thats the only thing not clear in my mind.
Ian Straton 20 Jul 2006
In reply to rich: how does it move down the rollers if there is perfect feedback between the motion of the wheels and the motion of the conveyor?
Ian Straton 20 Jul 2006
In reply to Richard: so are you now accepting mine and goose's explanation that the aircraft cannot take off?
Mr Goose 20 Jul 2006
In reply to rich:

It never accelerates. To accelerate requires a change in velocity. The velocity (relative to the tower) is always zero otherwise the speed of the aircraft and belt are not matched as was originally defined.

Opposing forces are the aircraft engines and the motor for the conveyor belt working in opposite and opposing forces as a system.
Ian Straton 20 Jul 2006
In reply to Richard: the aircraft is originally at rest, your start the engines, the wheels start to turn in response to this thrust, this movement is countered by an instantaneous feedback from the conveyor, so now the wheels and conveyor are moving but their result forces cancel leaving the aircraft body at rest relative to the observer in the control tower.
 Richard 20 Jul 2006
In reply to Ian Straton:

Can I refer you back to my first post?
http://www.ukclimbing.com/forums/t.php?n=192652#2800221
 sutty 20 Jul 2006
In reply to Chris Harris:

>So if the engines can drag enough air over the wings to provide enough lift, why do they bother building runways?

Not needed in some cases.

Saw a tiger moth trying to take off into a gale, went forward ten feet, lifted off, then flew backwards.

The thrust of the engine against the air will let the theoretical flight take off, on the other hand, if it is a Ryanair plane going to Norway it will not take off, but will be cancelled.
rich 20 Jul 2006
In reply to Mr Goose:

the plane goes forward due to the jet engines
the rollers go backwards at the same speed

the wheels (while they're in contact with the rollers) go 'backwards" as well but this does't affect the plane's speed
 Richard 20 Jul 2006
In reply to Ian Straton:
> (In reply to Richard) so are you now accepting mine and goose's explanation that the aircraft cannot take off?

I think I see where the confusion about my position is coming from - Goose's post was not an explanation: it was tautologous. He had defined the plane as stationary, which of course means it will not take off. What I was trying to explain to him was why it was stationary.
 jkarran 20 Jul 2006
In reply to pale ale:

The big problem with this is that the tyres would blow and the plane would crash before becoming airborne.

The 'groundspeed' relative to the runway will be twice* the normal speed at which the plane could rotate which would likely cause a tyre blow out a la Concorde.

* actually somewhat less than twice as fast as a moving road/runway would entrain a fair amount of air generating a significant additional headwind and additional lift due to the ground effect
Ian Straton 20 Jul 2006
In reply to Richard: you could if it made sense, you seem to have mixed up the role of friction in it however...

the only "real life" situation that would allow the aircraft to take off is imperfect feedback.

That is to say it is impossible (in real life) to to have the conveyor moving at the same speed as the wheels at every instant, this would allow take off but over a truly huge distance.

if you assume perfect feedback for the conveyor and normal physics for everything else then the aircraft remains stationary and does not fly.
 jkarran 20 Jul 2006
In reply to sutty:

>on the other hand, if it is a Ryanair plane going to Norway it will not take off, but will be cancelled.

LOL!
Ian Straton 20 Jul 2006
In reply to rich:
> (In reply to Mr Goose)
>
> the plane goes forward due to the jet engines
> the rollers go backwards at the same speed

the rollers are in feedback to the wheels not the engines

> the wheels (while they're in contact with the rollers) go 'backwards" as well

no they don't, the wheels rotate in the opposite direction to the conveyor. Go play with some gears.
 Factual 20 Jul 2006
In reply to jkarran:

I'm a complete dunce with regard to these techy things so this might seem real stupid, plus I haven't a clue about anything else you're on about, but in the OP it says the plane moves in one direction (presumably forwards if it wants to take off!), and the conveyor belt moves correspondingly in *the other direction* (i.e. backwards on the surface). Forgive my ignorance, but would this not cause the wheels to rotate *forwards*, and if anything increase the planes speed?
 Glen 20 Jul 2006
In reply to pale ale:

Why are people still arguing over this, when Richard gave the correct answer right at the start of the thread:

"The plane pushes against the air, not the conveyer belt, so as long as there is no friction of course the plane will take off. If there is friction and the conveyor belt is capable of rapidly accelerating to near-infinite speeds, and the bearings of the wheels are capable of taking such speeds, it's possible to conceive of there being supfficient frictional drag to hold the plane back.

In any realistic, physically limited interpretation, the plane will take off."

Of course, the question doesn't state what type of airplane is involved. If it has VTOL capabilities then we can forget about the wheels and runway altogether.
rich 20 Jul 2006
In reply to Ian Straton:

> the rollers are in feedback to the wheels not the engines

i quote

This conveyer has a control system that tracks the plane speed and tunes the speed of the conveyer to be exactly the same
 Rob Naylor 20 Jul 2006
In reply to mostly cloudy:
> Are the people in this thread who believe it takes off actually serious or just having a laugh?
>
> Thats the only thing not clear in my mind.

Makes you wonder why they spend millions on creating long runways. All the controversy about Stansted's second runway cutting through historic villages would be eliminated overnight: 100 metres or so of "conveyor belt" would sort things nicely, without the need to knock down any 600 year old farmhouses.

Now I *wonder* why it hasn't been done?

Mr Goose 20 Jul 2006
In reply to all:

I officially resign. No more from me sorry.
 Phil Anderson 20 Jul 2006
In reply to Mr Goose:

You are very funny.

Try, please, really try, to understand the other side of the argument with an open mind.

Accept that people holding these views are intelligent people and might actually have a point.

Maybe, just maybe, they are more qualified to answer the question than you, or perhaps have thought about it more deeply or even, shock horror, are just plain cleverer.
 Richard 20 Jul 2006
In reply to Ian Straton:
> (In reply to Richard) you could if it made sense, you seem to have mixed up the role of friction in it however...

Eh? How?

Actually, the feedback loop performing as assumed in the original question is logically impossible. It relates the conveyer speed to the speed of the plane; if the plane is stationary then the belt is not moving - so the plane must be moving for the conveyer belt to move. If the plane can move - and thus the belt can move - the plane must be able to take of...

The feedback loop makes sense if the conveyer speed is linked to the speed of the wheels. Even in this case, force can only be transferred to the plane if there is friction between the wheels and their bearings, otherwise the force balance does not occur (there is no resistance to the wheels being accelerated, except for angular inertia as I mentioned earlier but this appears to have been universally ignored) and there is nothing slowing the plane down - the wheels can spin infinitely fast but this will have no effect on the behaviour of the plane.

> the only "real life" situation that would allow the aircraft to take off is imperfect feedback.

... or the conveyer not being able to accelerate fast enough, having a top speed, having limited power...
 jkarran 20 Jul 2006
In reply to pale ale:

Er... ignore my previous post. I just thought about the question! I was thinking of a plane on a treadmill!

Yes it will still fly though, ground speed has little to do with lift, only airspeed and the thrust vector.

Think of an F15 sat on it's catapult on an aircraft carrier (the catapult is the moving runway) and the plane takes off fine (usually!). With a slight modification (sit the plane on a big tray attatched to the catapult) it's tyres need not turn but it will still take off.

Yes, strictly speaking the catapult 'throws' the plane but it needn't. With the correct control and enough space it could just track the plane's (thrust driven) acceleration and the plane would still take off.
 jkarran 20 Jul 2006
In reply to Factual:

Nope, I'm the dunce, didn't read the OP carefully enough befor starting! See my follow up 'apology'
Ian Straton 20 Jul 2006
In reply to rich: I'll ask again, how does the plane move if the wheels it is attached to do not?

the plane speed is the result of the wheel movement on the surface of the runway, if that movement is cancelled by the conveyor you can run the engines at full power and the plane will not move.
 chris j 20 Jul 2006
In reply to rich:
> (In reply to Mr Goose)
>
> the plane goes forward due to the jet engines
> the rollers go backwards at the same speed
>
> the wheels (while they're in contact with the rollers) go 'backwards" as well but this does't affect the plane's speed

Or alternatively the wheels rotate at twice the speed that the plane body and conveyor are moving at...
rich 20 Jul 2006
In reply to Ian Straton: have you ever run up a down escalator or vice versa?

do you think you could run the wrong way along an airport travelator and get from one end to the other?
Ian Straton 20 Jul 2006
In reply to Richard:
the realworld/imaginary world problem is to do with the feedback loop, there is no possibilty of perfect feedback whether you track the wheels or the plane body, if you allow perfect feedback on the wheels then you can also allow perfect feedback on the plane body.

the reason everyone ignored your discussion of the role of friction in the bearings is because noone has ever suggested that it would be absent, that is we are all making the same assumption about friction being present.

as for this:"> ... or the conveyer not being able to accelerate fast enough, having a top speed, having limited power..."

surly those can be included as part of the concept of imperfect feedback
OP Anonymous 20 Jul 2006
In reply to Ian Straton:

"the point you are missing about aircraft wheels is that although they are not powered the aeroplane is attached to them, and your setup suggests a perfect feedback between the weheels and the runway. That is to say that no matter howfast they spin they will not move forward relative to an observer not on the runway. If the wheels do not move forward relative to our observer then neither can the aeroplane, if the aeroplane is not moving forwards relative to our our observer then it cannot generate lift, without lift it can't fly. "

I think that is it. Different people are making diferent interpretations of the setup - those who interpret it as allowing the thrust to move the A/C forward achieve take off, those who interpret the wording as meaning as constraining o that that no forward motion is achieved have no take off

XXXX 20 Jul 2006
In reply to pale ale:

This is brilliant. People so stubbornly wrong!

Plane moving at 100mph, wheels turning at 200mph, conveyor going backwards at 100mph.

Plane takes off.

I have a masters in physics and I'm pretty sure a lot of other people in here are as or more qualified as me. Try and think "why would it take off?" rather than blankly refusing to accept anyone else's points. For the record, I used to think it wouldn't until I thought about it.

jkarran 20 Jul 2006
In reply to Ian Straton:

The weels run on bearings causing little drag what with them being wheels not skids. The wheels' rotational speed therefore has no significant influence on the aircraft's acceleration relative to a third reference (the air).
 Factual 20 Jul 2006
In reply to chris j:
That's what I think too! Must be a mistake in the original puzzle, but you'd think all these hotshots would have noticed it.
Ian Straton 20 Jul 2006
In reply to rich: yes but neither of those are in a feedback loop to me, they are in constant motion ie their motion is unaffected by mine.

That is not the case for out hypothetical aeroplane.
OP Anonymous 20 Jul 2006

do we therefore have a system where airspeed is not greatly affected but groundspeed is doubled (if the conveyor is defined the ground)
 'Rock'DJ 20 Jul 2006
In reply to pale ale:

People are now arguing about 2 different scenarios as one and can therefore 'both be right'.

There is one scenario relating to a thought experiment where the conveyor matches the ground speed of the aircraft. In this case the plane does not take off.

There is another scenario where the conveyor does not match the ground speed but is simply free to move in an opposite direction. In this case the plane will take off with the ground speed relative to the conveyor of twice the airspeed and the ground speed relative to a seperate static point equal to the airspeed.

The slight ambiguity of your original question/scenario leads to the confusion.

You would get 9/10 for trolling but it's beeen done before so a 'me too' 3/10.

Try harder.

Richard 20 Jul 2006
In reply to Ian Straton:

> the reason everyone ignored your discussion of the role of friction in the bearings is because noone has ever suggested that it would be absent, that is we are all making the same assumption about friction being present.

Not those who insist that the plane might take off, or those who insist that since the wheels don't move relative to the conveyer belt, the plane cannot either - they're just defining it that way rather than explaining it.

FWIW, I agree with you; I just think your explanation (although better than Gooses) is incomplete.
 l21bjd 20 Jul 2006
In reply to Ian Straton:
>
> please demonstrate to me how the aeroplane can move forward without it's wheels.

Hi,

In the same way it manages to do so at 30000 feet. The wheels just provide a reasonably low friction way for the 'plane to move along the ground's surface.

Jon.
 'Rock'DJ 20 Jul 2006
In reply to 'Rock'DJ:

Alun covered both these points in his first reply to this thread. Physicists clearly don't read when there's a chance of a good argument.
 jkarran 20 Jul 2006
In reply to Ian Straton:

> the reason everyone ignored your discussion of the role of friction in the bearings is because noone has ever suggested that it would be absent, that is we are all making the same assumption about friction being present.

The bearing friction doesn't matter either way, the plane doesn't moove relative to the conveyor so could therefor have it's brakes on and still take off. In fact it could take off without wheels.

Landing might be tricky though!
rich 20 Jul 2006
In reply to Ian Straton: Eric the Red's 11:53 offering is the answer

i was going for a perosnal example of the 'surface moves backwards slowly - you move forward slowly - connector (your legs) have to move really fast' scenario
Ian Straton 20 Jul 2006
In reply to jkarran: except for that whacking great big axel through the middle of the wheel attaching it to the landing gear.....

the feedback loop prevents the wheel moving forward relative to our tower observer, if the wheel cannot move then neither can the aircraft to which it is attached.

You are correct in that the wheel speed has no impact, you could spin it at light speed for all the difference that makes, but unless the wheel moves forward the aircraft cannot.
Ian Straton 20 Jul 2006
In reply to l21bjd: no that doesn't answer the question.

If the wheel cannot move forward relative to a an outside observer then how can the aeroplane move forward?
 jamiemoss 20 Jul 2006
In reply to jkarran:
> (> Yes, strictly speaking the catapult 'throws' the plane but it needn't. With the correct control and enough space it could just track the plane's (thrust driven) acceleration and the plane would still take off.

Then why don't aircraft carriers have conveyers instead of catapults and runways? Obviously because the convey belt idea does not work and no planes could ever take off this way.

Ian Straton 20 Jul 2006
In reply to rich:
> (In reply to Ian Straton) Eric the Red's 11:53 offering is the answer
>
no it doesn't, he state the aircraft is moving at 100mph, he offers no explanation as to how it has started moving forwards without it's wheels.....
 chris j 20 Jul 2006
In reply to jkarran:
> (In reply to Ian Straton)
>
> [...]
>
> the plane doesn't moove relative to the conveyor

Where did that one come from?!
 chris j 20 Jul 2006
In reply to Ian Straton:
> (In reply to rich)
> [...]
> no it doesn't, he state the aircraft is moving at 100mph, he offers no explanation as to how it has started moving forwards without it's wheels.....

Perhaps a lot of grease or a non-stick frying pan coating on the bottom of the plane??
Ian Straton 20 Jul 2006
In reply to chris j: Haaaa Haaaa ha! Like it.

It's lunch time. TTFN
rich 20 Jul 2006
In reply to Ian Straton:
> (In reply to rich)
> [...]
> no it doesn't, he state the aircraft is moving at 100mph, he offers no explanation as to how it has started moving forwards without it's wheels.....

it has it's wheels

the wheels are spinning faster than they'd need to if the runway wasn't moving backwards

the plane is not being driven by its wheels

if you ran down an airport travelator the wrong way pushing a supermarket trolley . . .
 l21bjd 20 Jul 2006
In reply to Ian Straton:
> (In reply to l21bjd) no that doesn't answer the question.
>
> If the wheel cannot move forward relative to a an outside observer then how can the aeroplane move forward?

Why can't the wheel move forward relative to an outside observer? There is feedback, granted, but no feedback loop.
As has been said, the engines provide thrust against the air. If they were used to power the wheels, like in a car, then the plane would remain stationary wrt the outside observer.

Jon.
 jkarran 20 Jul 2006
In reply to jamiemoss:

A catapult can be thought of as a section of an incomplete conveyor. Therefore they do and they do work, watch TopGun
 l21bjd 20 Jul 2006
In reply to jamiemoss:
> (In reply to jkarran)
> [...]
>
> Then why don't aircraft carriers have conveyers instead of catapults and runways? Obviously because the convey belt idea does not work and no planes could ever take off this way.

You could have a conveyor belt if you really wanted, but it would have to be the same length as a normal runway.

Jon.
 jkarran 20 Jul 2006
In reply to chris j:

One of the scenarios seems to be plane moves forward - ground mooves back. This best fit's the OP scenario. Ground speed is essentially double airspeed, plane still take's off (neglecting tyre failure)

The other scenario: Runway moves forward, plane moves forward at the same speed. Therefore: plane doesn't move relative to the belt (until takeoff)

The plane flies in either scenario.

Of course if you're simply refering to the double O in 'moove' that came from the 'ooooo' key!
 jkarran 20 Jul 2006
In reply to l21bjd:

> You could have a conveyor belt if you really wanted, but it would have to be the same length as a normal runway.

Or shorter if you left the brakes on. See the catapult analogy.

Still needs to be long to land of course, cable arrestors and 100 ton comercial airliners don't mix.
 jamiemoss 20 Jul 2006
In reply to jkarran:
> (In reply to jamiemoss)
>
> A catapult can be thought of as a section of an incomplete conveyor. Therefore they do and they do work, watch TopGun

Please explain. As far as I can see, the catapult pushes on the aircraft, increasing its airspeed until it can take off. The conveyor belt does exactly the opposite, keeping the airspeed of the plane are zero so it never takes off.

XXXX 20 Jul 2006
In reply to Ian Straton:

It used it's engines.

Forget the conveyor for a moment.

The engines impart a thrust on the plane. An acceleration is then observed. This thrust causes movement forward, this movement is eased by the wheels reducing friction between the plane and the ground. At no point does the plane need the wheels to turn. If you put the brakes on you just need a bigger thrust.

Introduce the conveyor.

As the engines propel the plane forwards, the conveyor matches the acceleration but in the opposite direction. However, the force from the conveyor is imparted onto the wheel. As the wheels are free to rotate this causes them to spin but does not cause the plane to slow down.

In short, the force from the engines moves the plane forward and as a result of friction betwixt wheel and conveyor, the wheels spin. The force from the conveyor spins the wheels because of said friction, however and here is the crux, there is no mechanism to transfer this force back to the body of the plane and so it has no effect on the forward motion.

QED
 Tom Last 20 Jul 2006
In reply to pale ale:

It might if it's a Harrier jump jet...
Ian Straton 20 Jul 2006
In reply to l21bjd:
> [...]
>
> Why can't the wheel move forward relative to an outside observer? There is feedback, granted, but no feedback loop.

from the OP: "This conveyer has a control system that tracks the plane speed and tunes the speed of the conveyer to be exactly the same (but in the opposite direction)."

sounds like a feedback loop to me.....

Eddie1234 20 Jul 2006
In reply to pale ale: Firstly it depends on the type of plane because sone can take of vertically like the harrier and F25 JSF, however if its not then no it wont take off. Secondly what happens if the plane turns around???
 Nick Lambert 20 Jul 2006
>
> [...]
>
> It used it's engines.
>
> The force from the conveyor spins the wheels because of said friction, however and here is the crux, there is no mechanism to transfer this force back to the body of the plane and so it has no effect on the forward motion.

Yes there is. To keep the wheels stationary while simultaneously applying a torque two opposed forces must be applied to the wheel.

The way I see it, the question is badly phrased.

> This conveyer has a control system that tracks the plane speed and tunes the speed of the conveyer to be exactly the same (but in the opposite direction).

So does this mean the ground speed of the wheels, ie the speed of the plane relative to the conveyor, or the speed of the plane relative to the control tower?

If the latter, the plane will take off.

If the former, we can say that the conveyor's job is to keep the plane stationary relative to the control tower, and so prevent the plane from taking off - that would be the effect of that condition. Can the conveyor do this job? In the case of any friction in the wheel bearings, clearly yes. In the case of no friction, the answer is still yes, due to the torque effect described above.

And people shouldn't believe everything they read on the tinterweb. I read somewhere that Russian brides were waiting for my call, but that turned out to be a lie.

Nick

l21bjd 20 Jul 2006
In reply to Ian Straton:

I don't think it's a "loop": the plane's engines don't push against the conveyor belt.

Jon.
Ian Straton 20 Jul 2006
>
> [...]
>
> It used it's engines.
>
> Forget the conveyor for a moment.
>
> The engines impart a thrust on the plane. An acceleration is then observed. This thrust causes movement forward, this movement is eased by the wheels reducing friction between the plane and the ground. At no point does the plane need the wheels to turn. If you put the brakes on you just need a bigger thrust.
>
So you are invoking a rocket then? you are presumably aware that aircraft wheel brakes can prevent the 'plane moving even under full power?

> there is no mechanism to transfer this force back to the body of the plane and so it has no effect on the forward motion.
>
This is where I think you are wrong. The mechinism for transmitting the force back to the aircraft is the axel. The aircraft cannot move independantly of it wheels, the 2 are physically attached, if the wheel cannot move forward due to the conveyor spinning then the aircraft cannot move unless it becomes detached from the wheel.

> QED
as you say....
 hutchm 20 Jul 2006
>
> [...]
>
> It used it's engines.
>
> Forget the conveyor for a moment.
>
> The engines impart a thrust on the plane. An acceleration is then observed. This thrust causes movement forward, this movement is eased by the wheels reducing friction between the plane and the ground. At no point does the plane need the wheels to turn. If you put the brakes on you just need a bigger thrust.
>
That's key though, isn't it? The plane does need the friction-reducing properties of the wheels in order to achieve take-off. Otherwise commercial jets could just drag themselves off the runway from skis or their bellies.

If the wheels are immobile due to the action of the conveyer, the effect is that the plane would have to overcome the friction between tyre and ground in order to achieve forward motion, making takeoff impossible.
Ian Straton 20 Jul 2006
In reply to l21bjd: they don't have to. Consider a normal 'plane on a normal runway. The wheels are unpowered therefore they cannot spin any faster or slower then the whole aircraft is moving. The rotational speed of the wheel exactly matches the forward speed of the aircraft at all times.

With the conveyor in place the engines push the body of the plane forward, the wheels respond to the torque applied by rotating, the conveyor matches this rotation, the wheel stays in the same place relative to an outside observer. Adding more thrust from the engines creates more torque on the wheel (by trying to push the axel through the wheel), causeing it to spin faster but so does the conveyor. Since the wheel is physically attached to the plane the plane cannot move forward relative to our external observer, therefore there is no relative movment to the surrounding airmass and no lift.
 l21bjd 20 Jul 2006
In reply to Ian Straton:

Hmm. Are you resolving your torque about the axle? If so, the plane provides no torque to the wheels. Instead, the torque is applied at the point of contact between the tyre and the conveyor, and arises because of friction between the two.

If the plane is on a powered conveyor, this conveyor applies torque to the wheels. This makes them spin faster, but doesn't affect the plane itself. (Until you get to speeds where the wheels are spinning faster than they're designed to, at which point they'll probably fail).

(You could also resolve your torques about the point of contact between the tyre and the conveyor, but this only muddies things).

Jon.
Ian Straton 20 Jul 2006
In reply to l21bjd: given that the feedback loop purly counters the "drive" from the wheels and is not itself powering the system I don't think it matters whether you resolve the torque at the axel or the point of contact does it? (I don't know the answer here, if it does matter please explain why and we will see if it changes the system..)

I suppose the point I am trying to get accross is that although the wheels are not powered they are still subjected to torque from the aircraft engines (indirectly) and that given this motion is countered by the conveyor there can be no forward motion of the aircraft, so long as it remains attached to it wheels.
 EdEd 20 Jul 2006
In reply to pale ale:

come on people Cuba! lets not fight here lets do it there!
 Wangy 20 Jul 2006
In reply to pale ale:

The only way the plane could take off would be if an *extremely* strong wind was blowing down the runway.

Wangy
 IainL 20 Jul 2006
In reply to Twig: the F1 wind tunnels have a rolling floor to eliminate the boundary layer
fijibaby 20 Jul 2006
In reply to Wangy: It would take off. The wheels have nothing to do with getting the plane in the air, just the engines. But don't take my word for it, go to http://www.straightdope.com/columns/060203.html for the final answer.
XXXX 20 Jul 2006
In reply to all

I'm about ready to give up, you won't listen.

A plane will take off with the brakes on, you just need a proper big engine, like a rocket. That was my point. The wheels mean you can do it without such a big rocket.

The thrust from the engine acts on the plane. Friction with the runway causes the wheel to roll rather than slide. The centres of the wheels are now moving at the same speed as the plane, they are attached. This is obvious.

The runway is now made to move in the opposite direction to the plane with the same velocity. This results in the wheels now spinning at twice the velocity they were spinning at. However, the plane is still moving at the velocity it was before, as are the centres of the wheels.

Would you care to explain how spinning the wheels of the plane makes it move?
 l21bjd 20 Jul 2006
In reply to Ian Straton:
> (In reply to l21bjd) given that the feedback loop purly counters the "drive" from the wheels and is not itself powering the system I don't think it matters whether you resolve the torque at the axel or the point of contact does it? (I don't know the answer here, if it does matter please explain why and we will see if it changes the system..)
>

No it will not matter where you resolve the torque - it's just easier to envisage if you resolve about the axle. You should always end up with the same outcome wherever your origin it.

> I suppose the point I am trying to get accross is that although the wheels are not powered they are still subjected to torque from the aircraft engines (indirectly) and that given this motion is countered by the conveyor there can be no forward motion of the aircraft, so long as it remains attached to it wheels.

Well, if we resolve about the axles, then the engines do not provide torque to the wheels. The conveyor causes the wheels to turn. The friction in the wheel bearings would act to slow the plane (relative to an outside observer) more than if it was on a normal runway, as they'll be spinning faster than normal. So, for the plane to be able to take off, say at 150mph, the wheels must be capable of turning twice as fast as normal, as the relative speed between the plan and the conveyor will be 300mph.

Jon.

Jon.

dave_strachan 20 Jul 2006
In reply to pale ale:

Ok, another idea- when the 'plane takes off on a normal runway, it releases the brakes on its wheels, and they then freewheel as the plane gathers speed and takes off. If the runway is moving in the opposite direction at the exact velocity of the plane, then the wheels will just freewheel at double the speed.

I think

Dave
In reply to dave_strachan:

Oh yes and it will take off as normal (excluding a small amount more friction in the wheel bearing joints)

Dave
In reply to pale ale:

Having just spotted that Jon, who clearly knows that upon which he is commenting, has said exactly what I intended to say, but with the addition of long words (like torque), of which I have little knowlege. Thus, look at his description instead of mine.

Dave
 Wangy 20 Jul 2006
In reply to dave_strachan:

This whole free wheel thing doesn't make sense to me.

Imagine the plane was switched off, but the runway was going backwards at 100mph - the result is the plane goes backwards (-100mph).

Now imagine the plane has forward thrust equivalent to 1mph on a stationary runway. Given a 100mph backwards runnway, the obvious (and in my opinion correct) expectation is that the plane will still be going backward, but at -99mph.

However, with this freewheel answer, there appears to be no relationship between the wheels and the forward momentum of the plane, so I guess it is going 1mph forward, and the wheels are spinning pointlessly at 101mph. I consider this to be crap until someone explains otherwise.
OP Anonymous 20 Jul 2006
I refer to my post of 11.56
In reply to dave_strachan: It probably depends on where the feedback of the plane's velocity is measured, if it is measured purely from the speed of the wheels then as soon as the plane starts to move away from stationary the runway will increase its speed to match the speed of the wheels but this means the wheels will now be going faster and the belt will speed up to accommodate and so on....................until the tyres melt, bearings blow up etc. etc. the plane would not take off (as the friction of the conveyor belt going infinitely fast is infinite).

It is basically a no-feedback control system with a ramp input.

However, if the plane velocity is measured from the ground and the conveyor belt was controlled to go exactly the same speed, but in the other direction, as the plane, it would take off nae bother as the wheels would just be going twice as fast.

The question is basically flawed, so a proper answer cannot be given.
 jkarran 20 Jul 2006
In reply to jamiemoss:

> Please explain. As far as I can see, the catapult pushes on the aircraft, increasing its airspeed until it can take off. The conveyor belt does exactly the opposite, keeping the airspeed of the plane are zero so it never takes off.

Come on, think about this logically. How can the conveyer belt effect airspeed. Huge 'tailwind' fans would indeed prevent takeoff but that's not what we're discussing.

Wheels aren't needed for takeoff, they are just convenient, look at a float-plane or ski-plane, neither has rotating wheels, either can take off from a moving surface e.g. a river.

In the OP the conveyor only effects wheel speed, theoreticall it has no impact on the acceleration/velocity of the aircraft relative to the air (the important parameter)

As for a catapult being like a section of conveyer... draw a sketch of both and look for similarities.
Ian Straton 20 Jul 2006
In reply to Wangy: the bit youare missing is the feedback loop, youare talking about a runway in constant motion, the op is not.
 jkarran 20 Jul 2006
In reply to hutchm:

> If the wheels are immobile due to the action of the conveyer, the effect is that the plane would have to overcome the friction between tyre and ground in order to achieve forward motion, making takeoff impossible.

Noooooooo in this case the wheels don't have to turn to get the plane up to take off speed because the conveyor moves instead of the wheels. The plane still moves through the air.

Aerodynamically this is equvelent to a stationary plane in a takeoff-speed headwind, it'll still take off give or take the relatively small effect of the non-moving floor as a couple of people have already pointed out.
Ian Straton 20 Jul 2006
> In reply to all
>
> I'm about ready to give up, you won't listen.
>
> A plane will take off with the brakes on, you just need a proper big engine, like a rocket. That was my point. The wheels mean you can do it without such a big rocket.
>
Yes

> The thrust from the engine acts on the plane. Friction with the runway causes the wheel to roll rather than slide. The centres of the wheels are now moving at the same speed as the plane, they are attached. This is obvious.
>
Yes

> The runway is now made to move in the opposite direction to the plane with the same velocity. This results in the wheels now spinning at twice the velocity they were spinning at. However, the plane is still moving at the velocity it was before, as are the centres of the wheels.
>
IE zero mph, the feedback begins instantaneouly (according to the OP) therefore the only movement induced is the spinning of the wheels and the runway.

> Would you care to explain how spinning the wheels of the plane makes it move?

it doesn't that is my point! You still haven't explained how you get the wheels to move from their starting position relative to an observer not on the runway, without this movement there is no flight.
 CurlyStevo 20 Jul 2006
In reply to pale ale:
this simple way to look at this is that:
- the wheels on the plane do not have any motor etc in them they are free rolling.
- the conveyor belt moves at the same speed but in the opposite dirn to the PLANE (not the planes wheels)
- the thrust of the plane comes from the jets.
- therefore as the thrust of the plane moves the plane to say 10 mph the conveyor belt is moving in the opposite dirn at 10mph and the wheels on the plane are simply turning as fast as if the plane was doing 20 mph.

Therefore the plane can take off, the wheels will just be going around twice as quickly as normal.
 jkarran 20 Jul 2006
In reply to Alasdair Fulton:

> The question is basically flawed, so a proper answer cannot be given.

The question isn't flawed, it's been mis-read by some, me included but there is no way a moving runway will prevent an aircraft taking off. It will change the wheel speed up or down depending upon which way it rolls and slightly alter the aerodynamic performance.

It doesn't matter what you feedback is used to control runway-conveyor speed.

CurlyStevo 20 Jul 2006
In reply to Alun:
your wrong, the speed of the runway is stated as being the same speed as the speed of the plane not the rotational speed of it's wheels.
 Wangy 20 Jul 2006
In reply to pale ale:

I think I've got it sorted in my mind. It is all to do with the quality of the wheel bearings and the friction between the wheel and the runway. There is no correct answer.

Wangy
 CurlyStevo 20 Jul 2006
In reply to Ian Straton:
Dude the plane is not driven by it's wheels, it's driven by it's jets the plane moves forward beacuse it's jets push it. Think about it as the plane moves from stationary to 0.0000001 mph the converyor belt moves from staionary to 0.0000001 mph in the opposite direction. As the plane is not driven by it's wheels (and as there is very low friction in the wheels) the wheels just spin twice as quickly as they would have done, the plane stays moving at 0.0000001 mph. This idea can be continued until the plane reaches take off speed.
 CurlyStevo 20 Jul 2006
In reply to Wangy:
The take off speed of a plane is only around 150 mph, I guess the question is can the wheels turn at 300 mph without significantly higher friction or malfunction. If they can, the plane can take off. It seem plausible to me.
fijibaby 20 Jul 2006
In reply to CurlyStevo: No-one read the link I pasted on then.... hey ho. To finally answer this I'll cut and paste the definitive answer to the question, enjoy! "The unwary tend to reason by analogy to a car on a conveyor belt--if the conveyor moves backward at the same rate that the car's wheels rotate forward, the net result is that the car remains stationary. An aircraft in the same situation, they figure, would stay planted on the ground, since there'd be no air rushing over the wings to give it lift. But of course cars and planes don't work the same way. A car's wheels are its means of propulsion--they push the road backwards (relatively speaking), and the car moves forward. In contrast, a plane's wheels aren't motorized; their purpose is to reduce friction during takeoff (and add it, by braking, when landing). What gets a plane moving are its propellers or jet turbines, which shove the air backward and thereby impel the plane forward. What the wheels, conveyor belt, etc, are up to is largely irrelevant. Let me repeat: Once the pilot fires up the engines, the plane moves forward at pretty much the usual speed relative to the ground--and more importantly the air--regardless of how fast the conveyor belt is moving backward. This generates lift on the wings, and the plane takes off. All the conveyor belt does is, as you correctly conclude, make the plane's wheels spin madly.
Ian Straton 20 Jul 2006
In reply to fijibaby: I'm sorry, I have read this and i still don't see how the wheels leave their starting position? if they don't move relative to anything except the conveyor then how does the aircraft move forwards?
 Nick Lambert 20 Jul 2006
In reply to fijibaby:
> (In reply to CurlyStevo) No-one read the link I pasted on then.... hey ho. To finally answer this I'll cut and paste the definitive answer to the question, enjoy!

Who says it's definitive? Some dude on the internet? Right...
fijibaby 20 Jul 2006
In reply to Ian Straton: The wheels are attached to the plane, that's how they leave their starting position. Think of them as skis, they serve no function other than to keep the plane off the ground.
fijibaby 20 Jul 2006
In reply to Nick Lambert: Yeah, but what a dude! Have a look at the site, thorny issues solved with humour!
 Richard 20 Jul 2006
In reply to fijibaby:

I still claim my first post in this thread is definitive, and that was hours ago.
Ian Straton 20 Jul 2006
In reply to fijibaby: yes fine, but how do they leave their starting point? the motion of the wheels is completly countered by the motion of the conveyor, so how do they move from their relative starting point?
fijibaby 20 Jul 2006
In reply to Richard: Just read your post. Pretty much on the nail. Didn't stop another 100 post that were waaaaaaay out. Internet and its affect on productivity at work conundrum......
arby 20 Jul 2006
In reply to Nick Lambert:
> (In reply to fijibaby)
> [...]
>
>
> Who says it's definitive? Some dude on the internet? Right...

It is just some dude on the internet- but it's a dude that either by luck or reason has nailed it on the head. Imagine someone was on ice and you were pulling them by a rope- it wouldn't matter how fast the ice was moving away from you- you'd still be pulling them towards you- the only significant force comes from the rope. In the plane story, the only forces are the huge thrust of the engines forward being countered by air resistance (present whatever the case), and the increased friction of the wheels on the runway (tiny in comparison)
 SARS 20 Jul 2006
In reply to arby:

I preferred my infitesimally light propellor plane answer personnally.
 Nick Lambert 20 Jul 2006
In reply to arby:
> (In reply to Nick Lambert)
> [...]
>
> It is just some dude on the internet- but it's a dude that either by luck or reason has nailed it on the head. Imagine someone was on ice and you were pulling them by a rope- it wouldn't matter how fast the ice was moving away from you- you'd still be pulling them towards you- the only significant force comes from the rope.

Screw this significant crap, the situations not the same anyway as the ice cannot accelerate while the conveyor can.

> In the plane story, the only forces are the huge thrust of the engines forward being countered by air resistance (present whatever the case), and the increased friction of the wheels on the runway (tiny in comparison)

Not if the conveyor was accelerating fast enough. In practise, yeah, sure, course the plane would take off, but that's not really the point of such things. A theoretical conveyor belt could impart an arbitrarily large force to the plane, and so could stop it taking off. What isn't clear is whether the wording of the conditions in the original question leads to this happening.
XXXX 20 Jul 2006
In reply to Anonymous:
> (In reply to Eric the Red)
> I refer to my post of 11.56

No. The wheels are spinning at twice the rate they would if the conveyor wasn't there but the plane isn't moving any faster.
arby 20 Jul 2006
> (In reply to arby)
> [...]
>
> Screw this significant crap, the situations not the same anyway as the ice cannot accelerate while the conveyor can.
>
> [...]
>
> Well imagine a converyor belt covered in ice then if it makes you feel better. Same result= person moves or plane takes off. Unless you're assuming the runway is going infinitely fast, like someone else suggested, until the wheels melt off and the plane drags it's landing gear through the runway which then rips off and the plane then slides along on it's undercarriage, in which case, i agree, the plane wouldn't take off. But this isn't the situation if we say the conveyor is moving at the same speed as the plane (opposite direction naturally), rather than the speed of teh wheels.
This is quite basic stuff, A-Level newtonian mechanics covers this. I don't want to state my qualifications in a vain attempt to try and justify my answer by 'proving' i'm better than others as this is incorrect and also isn't the point, it's just something for everyone to think about and have a bit of a laugh with.
so as someone said, if you are pushing a shopping trolly down an airport travellator, but you are running along next tot the trolly to push it (not on the conveyor) then the trolly moves at whatever speed you can run at regardless of the conveyor (assuming no friction in the wheels) this is the plane with engines seperate from wheels.
If however you are pushing the trolly by running along the conveyor then you will go at your running speed-conveyor speed this is like a rolling road.
in example 1. the plane takes off,
in example 2 it doesn't
i finally understand, now to see if Rhino 3d has meshed my model
rich 20 Jul 2006
In reply to Southampton Tom: yes! i knew my pushing a trolley the wrong way up a travelator analogy would do the trick :¬)

thanks for adding the 'you're not actually on the travelator' bit
 Nick Lambert 20 Jul 2006
In reply to arby:
> [...]
> ... as this is incorrect and also isn't the point, it's just something for everyone to think about and have a bit of a laugh with.

I quite agree. But you're still wrong

If the conveyor belt can exert even a very small force on the plane, then it can also exert an arbitrary large force, because we haven't said, at any point, that the conveyor has any limitations. I think it all comes down to whether the conveyor is matching the ground speed or the wheel speed of the plane.

Nick
 hutchm 20 Jul 2006
In reply to Southampton Tom:

Yes, I was wrong earlier. Too busy wondering who the spoof Norrie was on the other thread.
 Nick Lambert 20 Jul 2006
In reply to Southampton Tom:
> (assuming no friction in the wheels)

Even if there is no friction, the conveyor will exert a force on the wheel axle. This no friction thing is a red herring. IMNSHO.

Nick
OP Anonymous 20 Jul 2006

what, not relative to the surface on which they are rolling?

I'm taking that to be the ground
 CurlyStevo 20 Jul 2006
In reply to Ian Straton:
the converyer belt only moves as fast as the plane is moveing it is not set to move at the same speed as the planes wheels turn around
 CurlyStevo 20 Jul 2006
the question clearly states the conveyor belt moves as the same speed as the plane!!!! this has to be relative to a stationary point on the earth right!!!
 Nick Lambert 20 Jul 2006
In reply to CurlyStevo:
> the question clearly states the conveyor belt moves as the same speed as the plane!!!! this has to be relative to a stationary point on the earth right!!!

Well, you'd have thought so. But that's the crux of it.

CurlyStevo 20 Jul 2006
To the non believers:

I suggest you get a toy car and a piece of paper, place the car on the far right of the paper push the car leftwards with one hand and move the paper rightwards with the other and observe what happens (the car does indeed move and the wheels turn about twice as quick!)
 CurlyStevo 20 Jul 2006
when people say my car goes 100 mph that's what they mean. To take it as anything else (ie it goes 100 mph when compared to a car going 30 mph in the other direction) is just manipulating the question and throwing your toys out of the pram cos you got the "wrong answer" (best said in a USA ascent).
OP Anonymous 20 Jul 2006
In reply to CurlyStevo:

surely travelling in a car only marginally changes our actual rotational speed on the earth's surface
 Nick Lambert 20 Jul 2006
In reply to CurlyStevo:

No, I didn't. Read my first post, in which I carefully hedge my bets to avoid precisely this accusation. Anyway, don't you think you can bully me into being wrong...
 CurlyStevo 20 Jul 2006
soz wasn't meant as a personal attack I mean't you as being anyone.
 Nick Lambert 20 Jul 2006
In reply to CurlyStevo:

That's cool, forgot the
 gingerkate 20 Jul 2006
Oh, I wish I could understand this! If the plane is not moving relative to the ground, how can it be moving relative to the air? And if it's not moving relative to the air, how can it take off????
 Beaver 20 Jul 2006
In reply to gingerkate: From what I can tell the question is badly written and can be interperated in slightly different ways. Each way can be proved with basic physics one way or the other depending on how you've understood the question.
 CurlyStevo 20 Jul 2006
In reply to gingerkate:
it is moving relative to the ground the wheels are just turning twice as fast (for the speed its moving relative to the ground) as the converyor belt is moving the same speed as the plane in the opposite direction.

Try my experiment with a toy car and I think all will become clear!
 UKC Forums 20 Jul 2006
This thread was started in the wrong forum and has now been moved.
Please could you try and post in the correct forum, it makes life easier for both users and moderators.

Forum descriptions - http://www.ukclimbing.com/forums/info/forums.html
 EdEd 20 Jul 2006
In reply to UKC Forums:

Brilliant it took 200 message for them to notice......

CurlyStevo 20 Jul 2006
In reply to Beaver:
diagree all the information is available at a reasonable level in the question to say it isn't is quite convoluted IMO.
 gingerkate 20 Jul 2006
In reply to CurlyStevo:
Oh, I'm with you now. That's what the 'non-believers' are not understanding .... I was thinking that if the conveyor belt matches the plane speed the plane is still relative to the ground, but that's not right is it.
 jkarran 20 Jul 2006
In reply to arby:

Just considering one more scenario...

Ignoring a few basic details like tyre failure then it is theoretically possible to impart a sufficiently large force to the aircraft axels to counter the thrust and prevent it from moving forward simply by continually accelerating the belt at a massive rate toward the aircraft.

The tyres have a finite and non zero moment of inertia and will produce a torque response at the contact point resisting their rotational acceleration due to that moment of inertia, that response will also cause a small backwards force on the wheel's axel.

If the tyres are heavy (and strong) enough and the belt capable of a MASSIVE constant acceleration then it would theoretically be possible to match the aircraft's thrust and keep it stationary relative to its surroundings without ever considering brakes or bearing friction.

In a real world this scenario is impossible and is not the one implied by the OP.

The answer cribbed from the internet is the correct one for the correct reasons.

jk
OP Anonymous 20 Jul 2006
In reply to jkarran: All the talk of super high friction in the wheel bearings etc is irrelevent. The question says that the conveyor belt matches the speed of the aircraft not the spinning of the wheels. If the aircraft is moving at 50knots forward then the conveyor will be moving at 50 knots backwards and the wheels will be spinning at a rate equivelent to the aircraft moving at 100 knots. As long as the wheels can spin at twice the rate usual at take off speeds, which is reasonable to expect they can, the conveyor belt makes no difference.

It is frightening to see so many people have no idea how an aircraft works.
 Nick Lambert 20 Jul 2006
In reply to Anonymous:
> (In reply to jkarran) All the talk of super high friction in the wheel bearings etc is irrelevent. The question says that the conveyor belt matches the speed of the aircraft not the spinning of the wheels. If the aircraft is moving at 50knots forward then the conveyor will be moving at 50 knots backwards and the wheels will be spinning at a rate equivelent to the aircraft moving at 100 knots. As long as the wheels can spin at twice the rate usual at take off speeds, which is reasonable to expect they can, the conveyor belt makes no difference.#

I'd agree with this. But last time this question was 'done to death', as linked above, it was phrased;

"Imagine a commercial jet plane standing on the runway. Except the runway is an enormous treadmill. A sensor on the plane's wheel feeds-back to the runway/treadmill so that, as soon as the wheel starts to turn, the treadmill exactly matches the turning, but in reverse. Will the plane take off?"

I would submit that, in this case, the answer is no - there are two different problems.
>
> It is frightening to see so many people have no idea how an aircraft works.

I'm sure people do really. They're just getting embroiled a bit. Anyway, even if they don't, it's not that scary, is it? Presumably none of them are aerospace engineers.

Nick

Twig 20 Jul 2006
In reply to jkarran: This is doing my head & patience in!
Ignore wheels - they are irrelevant. The answer on the website states that the plane moves forward over the ground - if it does this then it goes off the end of the conveyor belt.
If the plane stays in the same position on the conveyor using its engines to provide thrust to stay in that position then there is no air flow over the wings.
Imagine running along an airport conveyor belt the wrong way. Your legs are doing the same job as an aeroplane engine - providing a force to keep you in the same place.
There is no airstream going past you. No airstream = no lift.
I would just like those who say the aircraft will take off to clearly explain how a non-moving object can achieve an airstream that will enable lift please?

I'm off back to the land of the only slightly insane.
 hutchm 20 Jul 2006
In reply to Twig:

I, too, was earlier today in the same position of unenlightenment as you.

The answer above about the shopping trolley on a travellator is the one you should read. Repeatedly. Until your brain hurts.
OP Anonymous 20 Jul 2006
In reply to Twig:

> Imagine running along an airport conveyor belt the wrong way. Your legs are doing the same job as an aeroplane engine - providing a force to keep you in the same place.
> There is no airstream going past you. No airstream = no lift.

When you run you move forward because your legs push against the ground through your feet. An aircraft doesn't move forward by pushing against the ground but by sucking on the air.

Beaver 20 Jul 2006
In reply to Twig: "Your legs are doing the same job as an aeroplane engine - providing a force to keep you in the same place." - WRONG - A jet engine provides thrust that's independant of the floor... read shopping trolloey answer as stated above.
In reply to Twig: Twig, imagine you are standing on a treadmill in rollerskates and the treadmill acts in the opposite direction to your skates. If there is a rope tied to the wall in front of you and you pull on it what will happen?

Also, you're in correct in using the analogy of a person running along a travelator, that is the same as a car on a rolling road...i.e the power is driven through the wheels/ legs and therefore is negated by the travelator/rolling road. But the planes engines pull the wings along and there is no power through the wheels. As long as there are no brakes applied, they are irrelevant to the planes movement, they just stop it from dragging along the ground on its belly and offer far less friction. Also, the rolling runway offers no resistance to the plane, therefore the plane will move foward as normal but the wheels will be turning far faster than on a fixed runway.
 RockyRob 20 Jul 2006
In reply to pale ale:

that was possiblly the most ridiculous question i've heard. there are some very special people on this forum.
 Moacs 20 Jul 2006
In reply to pale ale:

Hello Pale Ale

You've done well on this ione - I got just under 200 lured in last time:

http://www.ukclimbing.com/forums/t.php?t=162217

The issue is about how the question is phrased. If the conveyor matches the speed of the plane, it takes off. If the conveyor is supposed, somehow, to completely counteract the speed of the plane, it can't but there's an impossibility arises.

Anyway good to know folk are still so passionate about entirely theoretical things!

J
 jkarran 20 Jul 2006
In reply to Twig:

Wrong. Sorry
 jkarran 20 Jul 2006
In reply to Moacs/All

> The issue is about how the question is phrased. If the conveyor matches the speed of the plane, it takes off. If the conveyor is supposed, somehow, to completely counteract the speed of the plane, it can't but there's an impossibility arises.

It can counter the thrust of the plane's jets keeping the aircraft but not the wheels stationary in theory - see my post of 17.10 and Nick Lambert's 15.47. The plane wont fly in this case but the belt does have to continue accelerating (at a much higher rate than the plane could) to keep the aircraft stationary. This is not possible worded as the OP is. This is a ridiculous scenario taken to it's conclusion purely for my entertainment and the frustration of those who don't believe. I can prove this one in a more intuitive way if people would like.

If the belt acted to keep the wheels from rotating (entirely possible and not a hard control problem to solve since the wheels aren't powered) the plane would still fly. See my catapult analogy and earlier pushing a trolly along travelator (walking alongside) analogies.

If, as in the OP the belt spins the wheels twice as fast as they would normally the plane still flies. Again, see trolly travelator analogies This is the simplest scenario to understand once you realise the wheels on a plane aren't powered. The plane still flies.

jk
In reply to jkarran: I wonder if all these people think that the plane is propelled by the wheels when it is in the air? As they clearly think the wheels propel it on the runway!!!! ;@)
stoo 20 Jul 2006
In reply to jkarran:

"If the belt acted to keep the wheels from rotating ..."

Which is the same as having the brakes on ....? Don't planes often sit at the end of the runway with the brakes on and the engines spooled up to full wallop and go nowhere?

(Sorry didn't notice this in time to join in with the main ... errr fun ... earlier).
 Flash 20 Jul 2006
In reply to pale ale:

You could prob get it off the ground into a mean headwind...
 gingerkate 20 Jul 2006
In reply to Alasdair Fulton:
No they don't think that.

The extraordinary thing about this thread is how incredibly badly most of the people who understand it attempt to explain it.

Twig, read CurlyStevo's posts to me, then play with your mobile and a sheet of paper... pull paper one way and mobile the other. It all becomes clear...
 jkarran 20 Jul 2006
In reply to stoo:

> "If the belt acted to keep the wheels from rotating ..."
> Which is the same as having the brakes on ....?

Similar, but different the belt can keep the wheels from rotating by accelerating under the plane at the same rate as the jet propelled plane. The brakes could be on or off, it matters not a jot.

> Don't planes often sit at the end of the runway with the brakes on and the engines spooled up to full wallop and go nowhere?

Correct, brakes can hold back take off thrust. There's a pilot posting here somewhere, I'm sure he'll confirm or deny this. However, I refer you to the statement above. The wheels don't have to turn for the plane (on a moving belt afterall) to reach takeoff airspeed.

> (Sorry didn't notice this in time to join in with the main ... errr fun ... earlier).

It's kept me 'amused' all day, you've not missed much
jk

nolo 20 Jul 2006
In reply to jkarran: the plane cannot because the aircraft is always moving at the smae speed as the conveyor, it would have to be moving twice the speed at least to take off. that is the correct answer, think about it !!!

mike
 jkarran 20 Jul 2006
In reply to nolo:

> think about it !!!
> mike

Ok, will do. Are you really 11?
Iain Watson 20 Jul 2006
In reply to All posters:

You're all answering the wrong question. The OP asks if the plane "can" take-off and you're answering as if the question was "will" or "would" the plane take-off. The OP does not give sufficient information to answer with a simple yes or no. Call me pedantic if you like.
I could tell you the real answer, as we covered it during the first week of aerodynamics during the groundschool phase of my pilot training just over 20 years ago - physics hasn't changed since then.
Another question answered was the following (you may have seen it before..)

A parrot sits on a wooden perch which is attached to the inside wall of the trailer of a large truck. The trailer is enclosed and airtight (yes it has enough air to breathe whilst we think of the answer !!) and its wheels rest on a weighbridge sufficiently sensitive to detect ANY change to mass/weight. The parrot flies from its perch to another, similarly positioned at the other end of the hold, and lands on it. Here's the question - Do the scales detect any change of weight during the time the bird is in the air?
 jkarran 20 Jul 2006
In reply to Iain Watson:

Pedant Come on then what's the answer?

I think we need to assume the plane is capable of flight were it not for the runway part of the question although in fairness that was never stated.
stoo 20 Jul 2006
In reply to jkarran:

If the wheels are not going round the only way the plane can move forward is by pushing the stationary wheels across the surface of the moving conveyor. This is exactly the same as the brakes being on. Brakes work by applying enough friction to the wheel to stop it from turning. By your own description the conveyor would be doing exactly the same.

The answer, as I see it, based on the wording of the original question, is that the plane will go up, exactly because there is nothing stopping the wheels turning.

Those that are saying it won't go up are assuming that the question means that conveyor is moving at the same speed that the wheels are turning, and thus the plane would behave as though it was parked on a normal runway with the brakes applied.
 Moacs 20 Jul 2006
In reply to Iain Watson:

No.

J
 centurion05 20 Jul 2006
In reply to pale ale:

this has been on here before. it doesn't matter about the speed of the wheels. the plane will not take off, the air speed over the aerofoils is the important part. there will be no airflow over them because the jet isn't moving.

Centurion05
 centurion05 20 Jul 2006
In reply to Moacs:
> (In reply to pale ale)
>
If the conveyor matches the speed of the plane, it takes off. If the conveyor is supposed, somehow, to completely counteract the speed of the plane, it can't but there's an impossibility arises.

you're a tit, i work on aircraft and it won't take off. the question is reading, if the aircraft is stationary, but the wheels moving, will it take off, of course it f*cking well wont.

centurion05
 gingerkate 20 Jul 2006
In reply to centurion05:

The plane _is_ moving. Running the conveyor belt in the opposite direction does not stop the jet moving forward (relative to the ground, thus also relative to the air) because the jet isn't propelled by its wheels. So it speeds up same as usual, just with very whizzing wheels.
 gingerkate 20 Jul 2006
In reply to centurion05:
> if the aircraft is stationary

But it isn't stationary. I understand why you think it will be, I did too, but it won't.
 centurion05 20 Jul 2006
In reply to gingerkate:

here's the answer.

the aircraft is stationary, if the conveyor belt is moving at the same speed as the wheels, its not going anywhere.

now picture the aircraft in chocks, which will replace the conveyor belt and moving wheels. no matter how much forward thrust you put out the engines, it won't move. i've seen a jet with afterburners on in chocks, funnily enough, it never went anywhere.

Centurion05
 nolo 20 Jul 2006
In reply to centurion05: yes i am 11 look at my gallery its a pic of me!!!

mike
 gingerkate 20 Jul 2006
In reply to centurion05:
The chocks aren't an accurate analogy.

Try this: get your mobile phone out of your pocket. Lay it down on a sheet of paper. Now pull the paper one way, and the phone the other, both at equal speed.

You see?

centurion05 20 Jul 2006
In reply to gingerkate:

how does that work. and why are the chocks not accurate?

if the conveyor is moving directly proportional to the speed of the wheels in the opposite direction, the jet is moving on the conveyor, but staying in situ of the ground.

its not going anywhere.

Centurion05
stoo 20 Jul 2006
In reply to centurion05:

The question doesn't say anything about the conveyor belt moving at the same speed as the wheels are rotating, it talks about the conveyor moving at the same speed as the plane.

Plane moves one way at 100 Knots, conveyor goes the other way at 100 Knots and *the wheels spin as though the plane was travelling along a conventional runway at 200 Knots*.

V1 and the plane goes up in about the same distance as it would on any normal runway.
 centurion05 20 Jul 2006
In reply to gingerkate:
> (In reply to centurion05)
> The chocks aren't an accurate analogy.
>
> Try this: get your mobile phone out of your pocket. Lay it down on a sheet of paper. Now pull the paper one way, and the phone the other, both at equal speed.
>
> You see?

and pulling them at equal speeds will require the phone to stay in situ, moving it away will annotate the aircraft moving at twice the speed of the conveyor.

Centurion05
OP Anonymous 20 Jul 2006
In reply to centurion05:

> the aircraft is stationary, if the conveyor belt is moving at the same speed as the wheels, its not going anywhere.

> now picture the aircraft in chocks, which will replace the conveyor belt and moving wheels. no matter how much forward thrust you put out the engines, it won't move.

Thing is though, you're making assumptions about the friction; chocks are guarenteed to increase the friction whilst a hypothetical conveyor belt is not.

If you assume that there is no friction, then the aircraft must take off because there is nothing to stop it moving through the air. Paradoxically, the aircraft moving will violate one of the rules of the puzzle (the feedback loop in the conveyor belt), and thus can't happen by the rules given.

Basically, it is a puzzle that doesn't have an answer.

Mark
 centurion05 20 Jul 2006
In reply to stoo:
>
> The question doesn't say anything about the conveyor belt moving at the same speed as the wheels are rotating, it talks about the conveyor moving at the same speed as the plane.
>
> Plane moves one way at 100 Knots, conveyor goes the other way at 100 Knots and *the wheels spin as though the plane was travelling along a conventional runway at 200 Knots*.
>

so if the conveyor is moving in the opposite direction as the plane at the same speed then the aircraft isn't moving at all in respect to the ground.

so no it won't take off.

Centurion05
 Hairy Pete 20 Jul 2006
In reply to centurion05:
> (In reply to John Lisle)
> [...]
>
>
> i work on aircraft

Wow that's scary!

and it won't take off. the question is reading, if the aircraft is stationary,

It is a question of reading. I keep reading the bit that says "The plane moves in one direction,".

hope you can read the service bulletins better than these posts.

OP Anonymous 20 Jul 2006
In reply to stoo:

> The question doesn't say anything about the conveyor belt moving at the same speed as the wheels are rotating,

Yes, but it should do; otherwise it isn't much of a puzzle!

Mark
 centurion05 20 Jul 2006
In reply to Anonymous:

it won't fly, the aircraft os going no where, ur just trying to blame a simple answer on friction and shit.

centurin05
stoo 20 Jul 2006
In reply to centurion05:

Yes it is, courtesy of those things that make all the noise pushing against the air which couldn't care less what the conveyor belt is doing, *as long as the wheels are free to rotate*.
 centurion05 20 Jul 2006
In reply to Hairy Pete:

the plane does move in one direction, but then it is immediatly counteracted by the conveyor belt, so it isn't moving at all.

and why is is scary that i work on a/c? whats ur job?

centurion05
 centurion05 20 Jul 2006
In reply to stoo: those things that make all of the noise push the aircraft forward on the wheels, the aircraft requires lift from the mainplanes which is generated my forward movement of the whole aircraft, this isn't happening if the conveyor belt is moving rearwards.

Centurion05
Ste Brom 20 Jul 2006
In reply to centurion05:
I wouldnt place too much in your intellectual rationale.

A quick search utilising the problem in point returns with the following answer...

You are wrong...

AGAIN.
OP Anonymous 20 Jul 2006
In reply to centurion05:

> it won't fly, the aircraft os going no where, ur just trying to blame a simple answer on friction and shit.

Sometimes it helps to vusualise the aircraft being towed by a truck which is beyond the conveyor belt to see why the aircraft must move (given frictionless wheel bearings).

mark

gingerkate 20 Jul 2006
In reply to centurion05:
> (In reply to gingerkate)
>
> how does that work. and why are the chocks not accurate?

Because if it's in chocks the plane isn't moving relative to teh ground.
>
> if the conveyor is moving directly proportional to the speed of the wheels in the opposite direction,

Not speed of wheels... re-read it... the conveyor is just moving at the same speed as the plane. (The wheels are spinning as whizzy as can be).

>the jet is moving on the conveyor, but staying in situ of the ground.

No it isn't. It's moving relative to the ground too. Try it with your phone!

You tried it yet?

centurion05 20 Jul 2006
In reply to Ste Brom:

give me your reasoning why and how the aircraft is moving forward in proportion to the ground, because its that what creates lift.

Centurion05
Ste Brom 20 Jul 2006
In reply to centurion05:
Sorry, I dont reason with semi naked helmet wearing homophobes.

I use this website to answer my queries.

www.google.com

I find its handy to be able spell.
OP Anonymous 20 Jul 2006
In reply to gingerkate:

> Not speed of wheels... re-read it... the conveyor is just moving at the same speed as the plane. (The wheels are spinning as whizzy as can be).

I think you need to assume that what was meant was that the conveyor matches the wheel speed (that's how I've always seen it phrased before). If not, the answer is too obvious. Well, to most people anyway.

mark
 gingerkate 20 Jul 2006
In reply to centurion05:
Did you try it? Stop thinking about it and just try it. Ignore all the stuff about friction, it just makes it confusing. Just pull the paper one way and your phone the other. Now did that phone stay still relative to your desk? It did not! And you can't tell me it did. If you say it did you've not tried it!
In reply to centurion05:
>
> the plane does move in one direction, but then it is immediatly counteracted by the conveyor belt, so it isn't moving at all.
>

It's a trick question C, to do with the way the question has been phrased. You are right; there has to be forward motion against the airflow for there to be lift. If the aircraft is stationary in relation to the air and all that's happening is that the wheels are spinning against the conveyor there won't be any lift. But the question says that the aircraft is moving forward. It's irrelevant how fast it's wheels are spinning; they aren't powering it anyway. If it is moving forward at the same speed that the conveyor is moving backward, it is still moving forward it's just that the wheels are spinning twice as fast. So it will take off.
 centurion05 20 Jul 2006
In reply to gingerkate:

i tried it, the reason it moves is because the phone is moving at twice the speed of the paper.
 Hairy Pete 20 Jul 2006
In reply to centurion05:
> (In reply to Ste Brom)
>
> give me your reasoning why and how the aircraft is moving forward in proportion to the ground,

It's stated in the question, that it moves in one direction. Therefore the brakes are not on, therefore the aircraft can move backwards or forwards along the conveyer regardless of the motion of the conveyer. The engines act on the air mass, which has no connection to the conveyer. Therefore the plane goes in whichever direction the engines push it.
 KeithW 20 Jul 2006
In reply to Ste Brom:

> I use this website to answer my queries.
>
> www.google.com

Do you know how Google works? Regardless of the particulars of this debate (by the way, the 'plane won't fly); you should be wary of the answerrs it gives to this type of question.

Google is a "popularity contest", and therefore not infallible.

gingerkate 20 Jul 2006
In reply to centurion05:
Why did you move your phone twice as fast as your paper? Try it again, slow this time. Move them at the same speed.

Like Alison says, it's just a trick question. It cons you into thinking the forward motion of the plane is being counteracted by the conveyor, but it isn't.
 gingerkate 20 Jul 2006
In reply to KeithW:

Keith, it's one of those things that once you've twigged it, is absolutely obvious. It's got ef all to do with aeronautics. All the fluff on teh thread about this and that and the other makes you think it's something subtle and probably mad, but it isn't, like Alison says, it's just a trick. Do the phone thing, then you will get it.
 jkarran 20 Jul 2006
In reply to stoo:

> If the wheels are not going round the only way the plane can move forward is by pushing the stationary wheels across the surface of the moving conveyor. This is exactly the same as the brakes being on. Brakes work by applying enough friction to the wheel to stop it from turning. By your own description the conveyor would be doing exactly the same.

No... Brakes and conveyor do totally different things to stop wheels turning.

Brakes provide a torque equal and opposite to that applied externally to prevent the wheel turning.

The conveyor moves with the wheel so no torque is applied therfore the brakes become irrelevant.
brendanhanratty 20 Jul 2006
In reply to pale ale: it wont take off, IMHO if it did they would use that method on aircraft carriers
OP Anonymous 20 Jul 2006
In reply to brendanhanratty:
> (In reply to pale ale) it wont take off, IMHO if it did they would use that method on aircraft carriers

No, because the conveyor belt would need to be as long or longer than a normal runway. In effect, it's simulating a tail wind; exactly the opposite of what aircraft carriers do (i.e. steam into the wind).

mark
In reply to gingerkate:

Sometimes I think (some) men are on a different planet
 jkarran 20 Jul 2006
In reply to centurion05:

> you're a tit, i work on aircraft and it won't take off. the question is reading, if the aircraft is stationary, but the wheels moving, will it take off, of course it f*cking well wont.

God help everyone if you work on aircraft.

Read the post yourself... "the aircraft moves".
arby 20 Jul 2006
this is getting way past stupid now. The aeroplane accelerates as if it's a normal runway. As far as the passengers are aware there is no conveyor belt. The plane takes off- again totally as normal. 9 hours lt plane lands in los angeles with the passengers blissfully ignorant to the fact that the onlokers at heathrow as they took off are still raging about how the plane ever managed to move- despite there being frickin' huge jet engines strapped to the thing that should make it quite obvious why it moved.

Next question, what happens if the runway at LAX is moving backwards with a speed equal to that of the plane?
And secondly, how about forwards equal to the speed?
 chris j 20 Jul 2006
In reply to centurion05: What do you do when you work on planes?
stoo 20 Jul 2006
In reply to jkarran:

"conveyor moves with the wheel" - and so the wheel is going round, which aint what you said originally
 chris j 20 Jul 2006
In reply to all: I'm amazed this is still going, I thought it was dead and buried by a couple of rational replies around lunchtime. Am impressed it took the powers that be 7 hours to move it out of Rocktalk!
arby 20 Jul 2006
In reply to jkarran: the aircraft isn't stationary. You might work on aircraft, but let me guess that you didn't study aeronautical engineering? or even basic mechanics?
OP Anonymous 20 Jul 2006
> (In reply to pale ale) it wont take off, IMHO if it did they would use that method on aircraft carriers

No, this is where the trick in the question really is. People assume that the aircraft remains stationary because it is on a treadmill. This is because they are used to running machines and maybe seeing cars testing on rollers or similar. An aircraft on a teadmill will not remain stationary with the engines running. It will move forward along the treadmill.
In reply to arby:

I think that was addressed to centurian not jkarran. And you are being a teensy weensy bit unkind :-P
The question is phased in such a way as to trick people into thinking the aircraft is stationary.
OP Anonymous 20 Jul 2006
In reply to chris j:
> (In reply to centurion05) What do you do when you work on planes?

Aircraft toilets need cleaning as well.
 gingerkate 20 Jul 2006
In reply to Alison Stockwell:
Well I was completely bamboozled by it myself until I tried it with the phone, so I have a great deal of sympathy for everyone who thinks it is mad
Enigma 20 Jul 2006
In reply to gingerkate:

I do agree with you - the aircraft will definately get airborne - there is not one doubt in my mind.

However, the pushing the phone thing may confuse some people, as the phone doesnt have the 'free-rotating' wheels that the aeroplane has.

If an aircraft, flying at 100kts, comes in to land on a rolling runway moving at 100kts in the opposite direction, the aircraft will not skid to a halt. It will continue to fly at 100kts (ok, maybe 99kts, if you take into accoutn friction). The wheels will rotate as if the aircraft is landing on a static runway at 200kts, so will be going twice as fast, but the aircraft will still maintain its forward motion in relation to the air.

Same applies as the aircraft gets airborne - its simple:

Aircraft's engines push it forward, regardless of how fast the ground is moving
Wheels spin faster than usual, as they have both the aircrafts velocioty and the movement of the 'runway' to spin them
Aircraft continues to move forward at same speed
Aircrafts wings through air generate lift, and it takes off.

IF the aircraft was powered through its wheels (as in a car), it would be entirely different.

There you go - a definitive answer. Argue, disagree, whatever - its physics!!
In reply to gingerkate:

I had to re-read the question to get it clear in my head.

jkarran 20 Jul 2006

They do albeit in reverse, it's called a catapult.
 gingerkate 20 Jul 2006
Yeah, I think they are being unkind too.
arby 20 Jul 2006
In reply to Enigma:
i thought the question about landing might make things clearer. The plane doesn't just screech to a halt (or go backwards), in fact it's unaware the runway is moving. This seems easier to grasp for most people, the taking off part is pretty much the same
 gingerkate 20 Jul 2006
In reply to Enigma:
Well my phone is pretty frictionless so it worked for me ... but I take your point.
 jkarran 20 Jul 2006
In reply to stoo:

Sorry Stoo, I have two different discussions going on here from earlier, we were discussing the belt moving with or against the aircraft. Neither matters.

Basically, it matters not a jot what the conveyor does (within limits) it's all to do with the engine thrust and airspeed.
 gingerkate 20 Jul 2006
In reply to arby:
> in fact it's unaware the runway is moving.

Until it stops. Then everyone gets a horrible shock
 KeithW 20 Jul 2006
In reply to gingerkate:
> (In reply to KeithW)
>
> It's got ef all to do with aeronautics.

Must admit; I read the original question ages ago, and assumed it meant the aircraft was stationary with respect to the air around it.

I'll stick to my point about Google though; many people think it's infallible but ultimately it measures "most linked to" pages, which is not a guarantee of accuracy.
arby 20 Jul 2006
In reply to gingerkate:
I admit, that was unkind. I'm just not keen on people stating qualifications as a means of 'proving' they're right. Especially if they're wrong, but that does make it more fun. But there were nicer ways to say it than what i did so I should apologise.
In reply to gingerkate:
>
> Yeah, I think they are being unkind too.

It's a bloke thing. Scoring points and all that

Good conundrum though. I'll try it out on my husband later.
Enigma 20 Jul 2006
In reply to gingerkate:

A frictionless phone, lol. Mine is too. Actually, thats just my excuse for dropping it when drunk...

The landing scenario does make it easier to understand, and its the same forces being applied!
 gingerkate 20 Jul 2006
In reply to KeithW:
> and assumed it meant the aircraft was stationary with respect to the air around it.

That's what I thought ... I read virtually the entire thread thinking everyone had gone stark raving mad, until curlystevo (I think it was) pointed out it wasn't stationary.
 gingerkate 20 Jul 2006
It caught mine out
ewang 20 Jul 2006
In reply to centurion05:

Gingerkate and a few others are talking sense from what I can make out of this shipwreck of a thread.
Think about where the thrust is coming from, the wheels will act like a bearing regardless what way the feckin conveyor belt is turning.
If it were a car with wings then it would be a totally different ball game as the main thrust would be transfered through the wheels and this would be counteracted by the conveyor.
As the forward thrust is generated by the jets which is independant of the conveyor, the wheels don't come into play the same way, the only effect it will have on them is that they will rotate twice as fast in the opposite direction.

Am I right, or do I need locked up?

Ewan, physics expert after 3 beers.
As my boss likes to say, "Think outside the box".
KevinD 20 Jul 2006
In reply to ewang:

any idea what speed a model aeroplane needs to take off?
that and a treadmill should soon sort the question
shunty 20 Jul 2006
In reply to pale ale:
ah.. pale ale stretches the cerebal cotex, but the answer to the leading question is in the leading edge, which most aeronautics 101 students would understand. Google is for gagas.
Reality is about relative position and speed of trajectory. And so which is your position pale ale? Are u Cartesian or rotational tensor ? Do u have a singularity that needs investigating ?
And back to the posed question. I suppose if you take the length of a well known tick from a well known website you may discover that 2001 was in fact the answer to your question !
Enigma 20 Jul 2006
In reply to dissonance:

Would need a long treadmill though, as the aircraft DOES move forwards.

Maybe one of the ones at the airport would do it... hmmmm...
In reply to gingerkate:

OMG!

My husband and I have just had a HUGE row over this.

He just said "I've got an A level in physics so I know these things."

This is the first argument we've had in years.

ewang 20 Jul 2006

So what was his answer?
In reply to ewang:

He thinks it will not take off and he says he doesn't want to discuss it any more.
 Hairy Pete 20 Jul 2006
In reply to arby:
> (In reply to gingerkate)
> I'm just not keen on people stating qualifications as a means of 'proving' they're right. Especially if they're wrong, but that does make it more fun. But there were nicer ways to say it than what i did so I should apologise.

I don't think any apology is necessary (assuming we're talking about the same poster) since he/she used their 'qualifications' as justification for derriding another poster.

arby 20 Jul 2006

I've been there when two physics PHD students were arguing about this so 'intelligence' doesn't seem to solve this problem! Depends on your initial viewpoint and once it's fixed everything else seems absolutely implausible
 gingerkate 20 Jul 2006
LOLOLOL!!! That is so funny!!!!

You know, I think this is harder for people who 'know about these things' than it is for everyone else. Because we/they assume we know what's going on, and we don't.

What's your background Alison? Are you arty or sciencey? I'm mathsy, and as I've said it took me ages for it to click.

In reply to arby:

Yes indeed. That's why it's such a good conundrum.
arby 20 Jul 2006
But even if you let him 'win'- at least you can go to bed tonight safe in the knowledge that not only were you secretly right, but that you were also good enough not to keep trying to prove it (unlike the rest of us on this thread)
ewang 20 Jul 2006

I think we should all storm the HQ of Boeing and demand an investigation!
arby 20 Jul 2006

I've got my masters in physics and my girlfriend is a professor in graphic design. this was our first ever argument as well! Things still go a little silent when the conversation comes round to runways....
In reply to gingerkate:
> What's your background Alison? Are you arty or sciencey? I'm mathsy, and as I've said it took me ages for it to click.

Well, I started off arty. That might be because I'm OK at English and I went to a school that was useless for science. But I work in IT, and I have got more sciency as I've got older. So I suppose I'm bang in the middle now.

I have a suspicious nature though, and I thought there must be a trick somewhere, so I focused on working out what the trick was. That's when I got it.
 gingerkate 20 Jul 2006
In reply to arby:
You're too nice, I think she should keep him awake until he admits he was wrong
 gingerkate 20 Jul 2006
I've done the reverse, started off in maths, now writing. But as soon as anyone says anything that sounds like maths my brain goes into maths mode... and this time got it completely wrong :oS
KevinD 20 Jul 2006
In reply to Enigma:
> (In reply to dissonance)
>
> Would need a long treadmill though, as the aircraft DOES move forwards.

dont think you would, the simple act of moving (excluding the argument the wheel bearings etc would overheat and melt)would prove, assuming it wasnt down to mismatched speeds that it would take off.

kev

arby 20 Jul 2006
In reply to gingerkate: he won't though. one of the beauties about being a man. I've seen quite a few women be 'converted' on this topic but never a man
In reply to arby:
> > at least you can go to bed tonight safe in the knowledge that not only were you secretly right, but that you were also good enough not to keep trying to prove it

Tee hee. I like that thinking.

He has persuaded our daughter (who really should be in bed by now!) that he is right. But I will sort that out in the morning

In reply to gingerkate:

I've been writing recently too! Good luck with that

The most challenging sciency thing I've done recently was my amateur radio exam. It was the hardest subject I've ever studied and it literally made my brain hurt; but I passed anyway.

It's good to be a bit of both.
 Hairy Pete 20 Jul 2006
In reply to gingerkate:

> You know, I think this is harder for people who 'know about these things' than it is for everyone else. Because we/they assume we know what's going on, and we don't.

For those of you wanting a less technical explanation I offer the follwing:

Shortly after take-off from Vienna the g/f asks 'what makes the plane go up ?' So I told her, 'It's like this, there's a bloke, near the pointy bit at the front, called a pilot. He makes it go up'

HP
In reply to Hairy Pete:

Did she slap you?
 Beaver 21 Jul 2006
In reply to centurion05:

You're a tit, i work on aircraft and it won't take off.

Working at "Thomas Cook" does not mean you work on aircraft.
 jkarran 21 Jul 2006
In reply to arby:
> the aircraft isn't stationary. You might work on aircraft

Incorrect - I design industrial hygrometers

> but let me guess that you didn't study aeronautical engineering? or even basic mechanics?

Correct ish - depends to what level you mean, my masters degree specialised in aeronautics and flight control but you're right, I'm no expert on A-Level physics
dark_star 21 Jul 2006
In reply to jkarran: I think the pilot would have got bored by now and gone home, that or his shift has ended or his union has stepped in.
 Richard 21 Jul 2006
In reply to pale ale:

Blimey, is this still going?

A final thought:
Even in a thought experiment, there can be no such thing as a "perfect feedback loop". Feedback is limited to the speed of light and therefore there must be a lag between the action of the plane and the result, the movement of the conveyer belt. A synchronous action/feedback mechanism is, at any rate, a causal absurdity.
 Steve Parker 21 Jul 2006
In reply to pale ale:

So what was the answer? Can't be bothered to read 300 plus posts. I would have thought that if a plane on a conveyor belt could achieve vertical take off, there would be quite a few people doing it.
 hutchm 21 Jul 2006
In reply to dark_star:
> (In reply to jkarran) I think the pilot would have got bored by now and gone home, that or his shift has ended or his union has stepped in.

He's probably still trying to manoeuvre his jumbo jet onto the travellator at Heathrow to obtain final proof...
 Smitz 21 Jul 2006
In reply to Steve Parker:
> (In reply to pale ale)
>
> So what was the answer? Can't be bothered to read 300 plus posts. I would have thought that if a plane on a conveyor belt could achieve vertical take off, there would be quite a few people doing it.

Yes, it takes off. The wheels are merely friction removers and have no bearing on the forward thrust imparted by the engines. Interesting to watch people hash this out though
Ste Brom 21 Jul 2006
In reply to Beaver: Ah, so you have read his previous posts too?
 Beaver 21 Jul 2006
In reply to Ste Brom: haha, yeah!!
 Steve Parker 21 Jul 2006
In reply to Smitz:
> (In reply to Steve Parker)
> [...]
>
> Yes, it takes off. The wheels are merely friction removers and have no bearing on the forward thrust imparted by the engines.

Ah, gotcha. I guess it's an easy assumption that the wheels are doing the driving, when of course they're not driving anything and are pretty much irrelevant to the forward motion, apart from not braking it.
In reply to Richard:

I agree with your initial answer (at least once I had read the question properly). But what's all this about the conveyor belt having to be able to accelerate to near infinite speeds? Initially the plane and the conveyor belt are stationary. If the plane ever reaches a certain speed (say 150mph) then it takes off and the experiment ends. The plane's speed is a continuous function of time presumably, and therefore it the speed of the plane on the conveyor belt is bounded between 0 and 150 mph. Thus the conveyor belt's speed is bounded between 0 and 150 mph for the duration of the experiment.
 pottsworth 21 Jul 2006
In reply to pale ale:
The wheels will be turning at twice the speed of the conveyor belt / plane, which takes up the opposing motion
XXXX 21 Jul 2006
In reply to pale ale:

This is still going? Incredible.
 Al Evans 21 Jul 2006
In reply to pale ale: Excuse me, harriers take off (not in vertical mode) when the carrier is going in the opposite direction, the ground (sea) momentum has nothing to do with the plane taking off.
 Richard 21 Jul 2006
In reply to crossdressingrodney:

The question is badly worded, admittedly - but what some people are arguing is that the conveyor belt moves backwards to counteract all of the plane's forward movement - not just to equal its speed. In this case, to supply sufficient friction to prevent the plane from moving against the thrust of the engines, the conveyor belt would need to be moving very very fast indeed.

Think of a model plane, say, on buttered skis on a conveyer belt. The butter reduces friction but not by much, so the conveyor belt can balance the force from the engine and the plane can stay stationary. Wheels reduce friction but do not eliminate it entirely (and also require additional force to accelerate them angularly). A jet engine is powerful but not almighty. Consequently the forces can again theoretically be balanced (to hold the plane still), but it requires a very fast-moving conveyor belt.

As someone else said upthread, if the conveyor can apply a small force to the plane, it can apply an arbitrarily large one. And if it can apply an arbitrarily large force, it can prevent the plane from taking off.
 Ridge 21 Jul 2006
> (In reply to pale ale)
>
> This is still going?

Yep, the conveyor belt bearings are getting hot though.
Enigma 21 Jul 2006
In reply to Steve Parker:

The answer is that the aircraft takes off, although not vertically, as your post suggests.

People are thinking that the aircraft will not move in relation to the air. It DOES move forwards, at the same speed it would do if it was on a normal runway (minus a small fraction due to friction on the wheels).

Therefore, the reason this will not work on an aircraft carrier, or allow VTOL of a regular aircraft, is that the aircraft would still need the exact same length of runway, no matter what speed the ground is moving.

I cant believe this is still an ongoing descussion! This post, and my previous post, explain the way it works!

Its physics, no matter how long it is debated on here, thats the way it is. The aircraft gets airborne from the runway, and then can land perfectly normally back on it too. Although taxiing off a moving runway onto a static taxiway could get interesting.
 Al Evans 21 Jul 2006
In reply to Enigma: I think we agree about the carrier dont we. Also I have another observation. I have watched Harriers take of and land in vertical mode on a carrier at sea. I asked the pilots if it was difficult landing in vtol on a moving ship. They said no, the ship automatically becomes stationary ground once they hover above it. Now they may be wrong, maybe the planes are programmed and they didnt care why, but thats what they said.
 rallymania 21 Jul 2006
In reply to Al Evans: i think what they mean is water (just for this example) is still boat is moving at say 25knts to hover over the boat, the harrier needs to bemoving forward in realtion to the sea, 25knts it is therefore matching the speed of the boat and so appears to hover

also the harrier is now one of the very few navy aeroplanes that takes off without the aid of a steam catapult
 Al Evans 21 Jul 2006
In reply to rallymania: They dont use vtol though, the run up the ramp.
Actually I have the usual boring Al Evans story here.
We were flown out to the ship from Benbecula by helicopter, thats another story.
As we landed on the deck and unloaded our gear our 'assigned officer came running up ans said
"The Harriers are taking off in 5 minutes, and this will be the only time they take off in daylight while you are on board."
"Ok " I said, "initial shot from the edge of the ramp for the first one and I'll film it coming and whip pan round with it as it leaves the ramp and flies off"
Turns to officer.
" Then I'll assess how that worked and reposition if neccessary, how long between each take off?"
" 4 seconds"
cue 4 identical shots
 Richard 21 Jul 2006
In reply to Al Evans:

> We were flown out to the ship from Benbecula by helicopter, thats another story.

Did you find the helicopter initially really exciting, and then five minutes in realise everyone else was asleep and start to wish you'd brought a book?

> " Then I'll assess how that worked and reposition if neccessary, how long between each take off?"
> " 4 seconds"
> cue 4 identical shots

Hairy Pete 21 Jul 2006
> (In reply to Hairy Pete)
>
> Did she slap you?

Why would she ? It is after all an accurate and flawless explanation
 Al Evans 21 Jul 2006
In reply to Richard: Errr no, the pilot decided to show off and went hedghopping over the Island, scarey, then when we were over the sea he did an instantaneous 80ft drop to avoid a flock of seagulls, then I was sat on the skid with the door open to film the approach to the Ark Royal. Not a boring trip at all.
O Mighty Tim 21 Jul 2006
In reply to Enigma: How can any aircraft take off if there is ZERO airspeed over the wing, unless it's a Harrier?
The OP states the runway goes back, as aircraft goes forward. Net result, a/c stays in one position relative to say the Control Tower.
I'm assuming he meant to say TRIES to move forward...
If it ACTUALLY moves forward, then it doesn't matter WHAT the runway does...

TTG
 Moacs 21 Jul 2006
In reply to centurion05:
> (In reply to John Lisle)
> [...]
> >If the conveyor matches the speed of the plane, it takes off. If the conveyor is supposed, somehow, to completely counteract the speed of the plane, it can't but there's an impossibility arises.
>
> you're a tit, i work on aircraft and it won't take off. the question is reading, if the aircraft is stationary, but the wheels moving, will it take off, of course it f*cking well wont.

Please don't call me a tit - needlessly, unprovoked and incorrectly.

If you read what I wrote carefully, you will see that I agree that if the aircraft is stationary it won't take off.

However, for it to be stationary creates a paradox.

If (to the watchtower observer) the plane is moving forwards and the conveyor runs backwards at the same rate, then the wheels will spin fast...but the plane is moving forwards and can take off.

Gingerkate's mobile phone experiment works. So does thinking about you on a set of roller skates on the conveyor...being pushed by a big broom held by someone not on the conveyor. Your skates wheels will spin...but you *will* go forwards.

I guess we know which end of the broom to use and where to push it too.

; )

John
In reply to Richard:
> (In reply to crossdressingrodney)
>
> ... but what some people are arguing is that the conveyor belt moves backwards to counteract all of the plane's forward movement - not just to equal its speed.

Are they? It says nothing of the sort. Although if it did I'd agree with your analysis.
 sutty 21 Jul 2006
In reply to Moacs:

>I guess we know which end of the broom to use and where to push it too.

Excellent!
 Al Evans 21 Jul 2006
In reply to sutty: Centurion whole argument is stupid. Thake the Harrier, it goes up on its vtol, it is stationary. Then it just zooms off. Why is this different to it being theoretically stationary on a conveyor belt?
 Richard 21 Jul 2006
In reply to crossdressingrodney:

> Are they? It says nothing of the sort. Although if it did I'd agree with your analysis.

You're right... and a bit of googling seems to show that this form of the question is actually the one in common circulation and, as worded, the logical answer (plane at take-off speed, conveyor at take-off speed backwards, wheels spinning furiously) is correct; the aircraft not moving is based on the thrust-vs-driven wheels error. In which case I'm embarrassed to be furthering that cause in any way.

(Although a non-taking-off scenario can still be conceived as I described, although it requires a different wording.)
Twig 21 Jul 2006
In reply to Al Evans: It doesn't just zoom off. The exhaust nozzles swivel to transfer thrust from vertical to horizontal, gradually, otherwise if it just switched from one to the other it would need to be several thousand feet up to stop harrier pilot pate being sold in shops!

Gingerkates mobile phone experiment is flawed. Just pull the paper without holding onto phone. It moves backwards. To hold the plane (sorry phone) stationary, while pulling the paper, you need to apply a force in the other direction. That "holding stationary" force is provided by the phone's (sorry plane's) engines. Feel the air moving over your hand? No? Thats why

Oh my god I've lost the will to live.

(2 engineers I've asked also said it will not fly. I defer to them - I have to, one is the wife!)
stoo 21 Jul 2006
In reply to Twig:

And so what happens if the engines exceed the 'holding force'?
Twig 21 Jul 2006
In reply to stoo: It will move forwards relative to the watcher, eventually off the front of the conveyor and take off. The point I'm trying to make is that the post says the conveyor matches the plane's speed. The post is open to interpretation, however if the plane applies more forward thrust then the conveyor applies enough to counteract it. Due to the lower rolling coefficient of friction this would mean a v fast conveyor, but it is a theoretical question! (Unless anyone is serious about not needing another runway for Heathrow?
stoo 21 Jul 2006
In reply to Twig:

Fair enough - I was posting under the impression that you were in the 'It won't @"£$%^& well fly!!' camp.
 Al Evans 21 Jul 2006
In reply to Twig: I know, I was being simplistic.
 mwerner 21 Jul 2006
In reply to pale ale:
Please kill this thread, the answer is obvious, forget all yer bollax about rolling coeficients etc. Unless there is some sort of wind generator creating an airspeed over the wings the plane will not take off!
 Al Evans 21 Jul 2006
In reply to mwerner: I think you are outvoted.
 mwerner 21 Jul 2006
In reply to Al Evans:
then there is more of you that need qualifications removing than I thought.
It won't fly, all you are doing in effect is turning the wheels.
Ady Short 21 Jul 2006
In reply to pale ale: I've changed my mind about 20 times on this and finally had to do the toy car with the bit of string on a bit of paper thing to convince myself. I will now email my 10 year old genius nephew the question.
rich 21 Jul 2006
In reply to mwerner: we are right and you are wrong
 mwerner 21 Jul 2006
In reply to rich:
I might cry and go home, my head hurts now.
 centurion05 21 Jul 2006
In reply to Beaver: well thats ok then, cos i don't work at thomas cook

tit
 Beaver 21 Jul 2006
In reply to centurion05: Lunn Polly??
 centurion05 21 Jul 2006
In reply to Al Evans:

vtol means vertical take off and landing, the thrust generated from the nozzles of an aircraft are positioned in such a way the thrust pushes off of the floor.

centurion05
 Richard 21 Jul 2006
In reply to centurion05:

"Soloing is like being married with kids..."

Did you write this guff yourself?
rich 21 Jul 2006
In reply to Richard: you're only jealous of his 'pecs' . . .
Pan Ron 21 Jul 2006
In reply to mwerner:
I understand where you are coming from, but you (like myself initially) missed the point, and are wrong.

An aircraft needs air moving over and under the wings to fly, and hence must move forward RELATIVE TO THE PARCEL OF AIR IT IS LOCATED IN - YES

An aircraft moves forward by it's engines sucking air in and blowing it out - YES

Now, aircraft is static on conveyor belt to begin, engines start, suck air in, blow it out. Aircraft "slides" over conveyor belt, ever faster.

The point is, the aircraft wheels turning and the ground moving backwards underneath them have no connection with thrust delivered or forward motion of the aircraft. Just because the ground is moving back at a certain speed makes no difference.

IF the wheels themselves were powered and providing forward motion then the aircraft would go nowhere. But thrust is delivered by engines whose relationship isn't with tarmac, but with surrounding air.

Granted, the wheels will be spinning at twice their normal speed at take-off as the ground will be moving by just as fast in the opposite direction.
Pan Ron 21 Jul 2006
In reply to centurion05:
Put this another way.

Aircraft stall speed is 130kts.
Aircraft comes in to land at 150kts.
Conveyor belt runway is moving in the same direction at 150kts.

By your reasoning, because at the time of touchdown, the aircrafts wheels won't be rotating, the aircraft will not be able to fly - even though the aircraft has flying speed.
 gear boy 21 Jul 2006
In reply to pale ale: only just spotted this not reading it all, i say no it wont take off
every one who says it will is trolling, unless they provide video evidence
unless the plane is a harrier a helicopter
Enigma 21 Jul 2006
In reply to O Mighty Tim:
> (In reply to Enigma) How can any aircraft take off if there is ZERO airspeed over the wing, unless it's a Harrier?
> The OP states the runway goes back, as aircraft goes forward. Net result, a/c stays in one position relative to say the Control Tower.
> I'm assuming he meant to say TRIES to move forward...
> If it ACTUALLY moves forward, then it doesn't matter WHAT the runway does...
>
> TTG

Aircraft isnt taking off at ZERO airspeed over the wing, it is taking off at normal airspeed over the wing.

You cannot say the net result is the aircraft stays in one position relative to, say, the control tower, as this is wrong. The aircraft still moves forward relative to the control tower.

Nice explanation mate, but I bet they wont be persuaded!
OP Anonymous 21 Jul 2006

> IF the wheels themselves were powered and providing forward motion then the aircraft would go nowhere.

That's not true though, is it? As the question was stated, (and as you have interpreted it), the conveyor responds to the speed of the aircraft relative to the ground. i.e. it does not respond to the speed of the wheels.

As such, even if it were the wheels which were providing the power, the aircraft could still move forward through the air, again with the wheels spinning twice as fast as the aeroplane was moving.

mark

Al Evans 21 Jul 2006
In reply to centurion05: I know, I've spent time with Harriers. And flown in one of the two seater versions.
Enigma 21 Jul 2006
In reply to Enigma:

Lets try and explain this one last way:

Q1)If an aircraft is travelling at 100kts along a runway, which is its take off speed; how can it be stopped?

A1)By applying friction between the aircraft and the runway.

Q2)How can this friction be applied?

A2)By applying the brakes

Q3)What if the brakes are not applied?

A3)There is little (practically no) friction between the aircraft and the ground, as the wheels are free to rotate

Q4)How much effect therefore, does the ground have on the aircraft's speed?

A5)Hardly any at all

Q5)Does it matter at all how fast the runway is moving in relation to the aircraft?

A5)Take into account answers 1 through 4, and you will realise the answer is No.

Q6)Therefore does the aircraft get airborne?

A6)Yes, of course it bloody does!!
Twig 21 Jul 2006
In reply to Enigma: Think of it the other way round.
Imagine the conveyor moves first. To stop itself going off the back of the runway the aeroplane must use its engines, constantly, to match the speed of the conveyor. If the conveyor moves faster, then the aeroplane must use more thrust to stay in the same place (due to the friction of its point on the ground, be it skids or wheels).
If the aeroplane did not use its engines, then the windspeed over its wings would be negative (ie going backwards!)
Now, for the last time, by using its engines just enough to stay in the same place, the aeroplane has not generated an airflow over its wings.
Enigma 21 Jul 2006
In reply to Twig:

But its not using its engines just enough to stay in place to counteract the (relatively small) amount of movement which would be caused by the friction on the wheels. It is using its engines to get airborne, which would be (I hope you will agree) significantly more than that!

jkarran 21 Jul 2006
In reply to centurion05:

> vtol means vertical take off and landing, the thrust generated from the nozzles of an aircraft are positioned in such a way the thrust pushes off of the floor.

Sorry mate, not quite right. They do not push off the floor, the floor is not required, thrust vectoring VTOL aircraft work as well at 1000ft as at ground level.
Iain Watson 21 Jul 2006
In reply to all posters (possible exception of Enigma):
Please see my only other post above (about 4 twizzles on the roller thing on the mouse) as a short background to this one....
The Q asks, "can" the ac take-off and states that the conveyer is metered AT the speed of the Aircraft (not the speed of the wheels' rotation).

The aircraft in this scenario CAN take-off, (the conveyor goes backwards only after detecting the speed of the aircraft, if the aircraft doesn't move neither will the conveyor. When the aircraft is doing 1 knot forwards, then the conveyor moves 1 knot backwards BUT, the tyres will spin faster as the engines chuck thrust out the back; aircraft continues to accelerate etc etc etc) but almost certainly won't....because the tyres will reach tyre limiting GROUNDspeed (when they'll give up the ghost and flail around like a chav at a house club)long before the aircraft itself achieves the AIRspeed required to get airborne (incidentally, that's not V1 as stated above somewhere).
If the question were posed subtley, but fundamentally differently, where the conveyor was metered to the rotational speed of the tyres, or a frictionless conveyor where the only friction in the "system" was that between the tyres and the conveyor, would the answer be different ?
Pan Ron 21 Jul 2006
In reply to Anonymous:

The issue I think there is a wheel rotating on a static platform will cause an equal and opposite movment of the aircraft. The aircraft's velocity will match the angular velocity of the wheel. Hence no motion.

No matter how fast you try to spin the wheels the aircraft will not move forward as their is a link between the wheel speed, the aircraft and the belt.

As soon as thrust is provided by something independent of the conveyor belt then this changes and aircraft has no issues getting airborne - except buggered bearings in the wheels.
 SARS 21 Jul 2006
In reply to jkarran:
>
> [...]
>
> Sorry mate, not quite right. They do not push off the floor, the floor is not required, thrust vectoring VTOL aircraft work as well at 1000ft as at ground level.

Makes sense. Conservation of momentum.
 tommyb 21 Jul 2006
In reply to Twig:
> (In reply to Enigma) Think of it the other way round.
> Imagine the conveyor moves first. To stop itself going off the back of the runway the aeroplane must use its engines, constantly, to match the speed of the conveyor.

No, assuming the friction in the bearings is low, when the belt starts going backwards, the wheels will go round and the plane will stay still. Now if the plane starts its engines and provides thrust, it will move forward and take off.

jkarran 21 Jul 2006
In reply to Iain Watson:

In the real world, the tyres fail. No flight.

Neglect that and It'll fly no problem whichever way the belt spins.

If and ONLY IF the belt speed is unlimited, the aircraft can be prevented from flying by the action of the belt alone. Note this does not rely on bearing losses and is a much more subtle problem.
stoo 21 Jul 2006
In reply to Twig:

So I am back to thinking that you are in the camp of it won't take off?

Are you under the impression that it takes the same amount of thrust to hold the plane stationary against the conveyor moving towards it at, say, 100 Knots as it would take to propel the plane forwards at 100 Knots on a normal bit of tarmac? What would happen if you took, management allowing, your push bike down the gym and placed it on one of the treadmills? Would you have to expend the same amount of energy to hold it there stationary as you would to ride the bike down the road at the same speed that the treadmill had been running? No.

The conveyor is almost completely negliable and so the plane goes up in pretty much the same distance it does on a normal runway.
 Beaver 21 Jul 2006
In reply to Twig: In the words of Roy Walker.. "it's good but it's not right"
Twig 21 Jul 2006
In reply to Enigma: Your missing the point. Even though the friction is, agreed, tiny, without using its engines constantly it would stop moving forwards and go off the back of the conveyor.
Now use your imagination to conjure a conveyor that is capable of large speeds, or, even less of a leap, imagine a toy plane on skids on a large conveyor. The thrust of a toy plane would be largely offset by the friction of the skids and so it would not be too much trouble for the conveyor to go fast enough.
There would still be no airflow while the plane is on the conveyor. Until it is off the conveyor onto a non-moving surface then there will be no chance to create airspeed.

OP Anonymous 21 Jul 2006

> No matter how fast you try to spin the wheels the aircraft will not move forward as their is a link between the wheel speed, the aircraft and the belt.

Not true. That much is obvious if you consider the state you describe (i.e. wheels spinning and no motion). If the aircraft is stationary, the conveyor belt cannot, by definition, be moving. Thus if you spin the wheels, the aircraft must move. As with jet engine case, the wheels will spin twice as fast as the aircraft is moving.

Incidently, that's why the normal version of this puzzle has the conveyor controlled by the wheel speed.

mark
 SARS 21 Jul 2006
In reply to Twig:
> Now use your imagination to conjure a conveyor that is capable of large speeds

Is this the right answer?

In the original post, the conveyor belt moves exactly at the same speed as the aircraft, say X mph. If the wheels have Y perimeter, then for every X miles the wheels rotate through 2X/Y revolutions.

I.e. the plane moves forward because wheel rotation is dependent upon aircraft speed and wheel perimeter.

This assumes frictionless bearings on the plane's wheel.
 SARS 21 Jul 2006
In reply to SARS:

That is circumference. It's been a long day.
Twig 21 Jul 2006
In reply to stoo:
I know the forces will not be the same - the post mentions matching speeds not forces!
In reality the plane would zoom off the conveyor onto solid land & then take off. However, in theory, it would be possible to hold the plane stationary on the conveyor!
 DaveR 21 Jul 2006
In reply to Twig:

no it won't the force exerted by the conveyor belt does not get to the plane because the wheels are free to spin.
Enigma 21 Jul 2006
In reply to stoo:

Mate, I disagree on this point:

You are on a bike, on a treadmill, treadmill spinning at 20mph. You must, to keep your bike in the same place, peddle at 20mph.

To ride your bike down the road at 20mph, you would have to ride it at 20mph.

To everybody who thinks (still, despite many people giving explanations!), that the aircraft will not get airborne:

This is the key difference: A bike is different to an aircraft, in the way it uses its energy to achieve forward motion:

A bike uses the wheels to transfer the energy to the road, whereas the aircraft uses engines to transfer the energy directly to the air - the wheels are merely to ensure there is less friction from the runway to slow the aircraft down.

If the wheels, therefore, are doing their job, the friction with the runway is negligible in comparison with the force of the engines - therefore, no matter what the runway is doing, the aircraft still moves forward! In relation to the area around, it moves at normal speed, but in relation to the runway, it moves at double speed.
stoo 21 Jul 2006
In reply to Enigma:

Sorry - didn't explain myself well enough. The idea is not that you ride on the treadmill but that you stand by the treadmill holding the bike and using energy to stop it being pushed off the back - just the like the engines on the plane in Twiggs example.
 DaveR 21 Jul 2006
In reply to stoo:

I there was no friction in the wheel mechanism, thee bike will stay stationary and the wheels will still spin. In reality the bike will fly of the back, with the wheels spinning.
stoo 21 Jul 2006
In reply to Twig:

Oh yes - it is perfectly possible to hold the plane stationary against the moving runway, but the question was basically:

"If Heathrow's runway was replaced with a conveyor (insert all the bit about it matching the planes speed etc) of the same length, would a plane that rocked up and did it's ususal be able to take off" = yes
 SARS 21 Jul 2006
In reply to DaveR: Yeah that's the point.... plane flies end of story.

Also the air from the prop engine helps provide lift too.
 Richard 21 Jul 2006
In reply to DaveR:

> I there was no friction in the wheel mechanism, thee bike will stay stationary and the wheels will still spin.

No it won't. Try it with a ball - no friction involved. The ball still falls off the back of the treadmill, because of angular inertia (the effort required to accelerate its spin).
 Richard 21 Jul 2006
In reply to stoo:

> Sorry - didn't explain myself well enough. The idea is not that you ride on the treadmill but that you stand by the treadmill holding the bike and using energy to stop it being pushed off the back

If the bike is stationary you use no energy: energy = force x distance applied.

Please let's not abuse the physics even more than it already has been in this thread.
 SARS 21 Jul 2006
In reply to Richard:

I'm not a physicist, but haven't you just contradicted yourself in those two posts? Just kidding re. the prop by the way.
 Richard 21 Jul 2006
In reply to SARS:

Don't think so: in the first case the treadmill is doing work (using energy) on the ball, to accelerate it. To illustrate the second case, imagine a wheel on an axle on a treadmill. The treadmill starts, and does work accelerating the wheel. If you are holding the axle to hold the wheel stationary, you are doing no work (using no energy). Your job could just as easily be done by a piece of inanimate scaffolding. If you want to push the wheel forwards, though, that will require energy.
 SARS 21 Jul 2006
In reply to Richard:
> (In reply to SARS)
>
> Don't think so: in the first case the treadmill is doing work (using energy) on the ball, to accelerate it. To illustrate the second case, imagine a wheel on an axle on a treadmill. The treadmill starts, and does work accelerating the wheel. If you are holding the axle to hold the wheel stationary, you are doing no work (using no energy). Your job could just as easily be done by a piece of inanimate scaffolding. If you want to push the wheel forwards, though, that will require energy.

I see we agree - well, no energy in a frictionless world. I think the ball example is misleading though.
 Richard 21 Jul 2006
In reply to Richard:

This is using the physical definition of energy, BTW. Although in physics terms you use no energy holding a 1 kg weight for ten minutes, you will still feel tired. This is because bodies are not straightforward rigid constructs and as such are not suitable for consideration in simple dynamics problems like this.
stoo 21 Jul 2006
In reply to Richard:

But that would imply that if I place a tricycle on a treadmill (to get round balance issues) and nothing is holding it in position that it will just sit there with it's wheels spinning?

Something has to apply a force to stop it just travelling with the surface of the treadmill and falling off the back.
 Richard 21 Jul 2006
In reply to SARS:

> I see we agree - well, no energy in a frictionless world. I think the ball example is misleading though.

It was an illustration of the fact that having a wheel stationary on a treadmill, then turning the treadmill on, will not result in the wheel spinning in the same place as it was standing, without an external force, even in the absence of friction.
 Richard 21 Jul 2006
In reply to stoo:

> But that would imply that if I place a tricycle on a treadmill (to get round balance issues) and nothing is holding it in position that it will just sit there with it's wheels spinning?
>
> Something has to apply a force to stop it just travelling with the surface of the treadmill and falling off the back.

You've misinterpreted what I've written and confused force and energy. You can apply a force without consuming energy.
stoo 21 Jul 2006
In reply to Richard:

But an engine or a human as in my examples cannot can they?

I am sure we are coming from the same angle, but equally being no scientist I am very likely using words interchanably where they cannot
 Richard 21 Jul 2006
In reply to stoo:

> But an engine or a human as in my examples cannot can they?
>
> I am sure we are coming from the same angle, but equally being no scientist I am very likely using words interchanably where they cannot

The engines in the aeroplane question are, at a basic level, applying force to their turbine blades (which is in turn applied to the air to accelerate it), which are moving, and thus it consumes energy.

A human on a bike on a treadmill is applying force through the pedals, which move, and thus consumes energy even though the bike as a single object, does not move.

However if the bike is on the treadmill and you are standing next to it, holding it steady, then you* are using no energy to do so.

The word "energy" is so abused every day anyway (like using "stress" and "strain" interchangeably...) that it's not really worth worrying about... until you're discussing physics problems.

(*Except for the usual inefficiencies of biological systems.)
Enigma 21 Jul 2006
Ok, with my physics head on, and a bit of googling, I came up with the following:

In my example:
>100cm diameter wheel
>Ac T/O speed of 100km/h
>Static runway
>Ac Maximum T/O Weight (MTOW) of 850,000lbs (B747)
>Co-efficient of friction .035 (this was measured as the worst on concrete in 1937, wince which I imagine wheels are beter, but we'll use this as a worst case)

Ok, Rolling resistance therefore, is

850,000lbs * .035 = 29750lbs - On a STATIC runway

Now that same 747 has 4 engines that produce around 58000 pounds of
thrust each. That means that there are 232000 pounds of thrust
counteracting that 29750 pounds of friction.

Resolve the forces, and it leaves 202,250lbs thrust dragging the aircraft through the air. Result: Aircraft gets airborne, with wheels rolling (whilst in contact with the ground) at 100rpm

Same aircraft then, but on a rolling runway:

In my example:
>100cm diameter wheel
>Ac T/O speed of 100km/h
>Therefore, Roller speed of 100km/h
>Ac Maximum T/O Weight (MTOW) of 850,000lbs (B747)
>Co-efficient of friction .035 (this was measured as the worst on concrete in 1937, wince which I imagine wheels are beter, but we'll use this as a worst case)

Ok, Rolling resistance therefore, is

850,000lbs * .035 = 29,750lbs - On a STATIC runway
29,750lbs * 2 = 59,500lbs - on a 100km/h runway

Same 4 engines, same 232,000lbs thrust

Resolve the forces, and it leaves 172,500lbs thrust dragging the aircraft through the air. Result: Aircraft gets airborne, with wheels rolling (whilst in contact with the ground) at 200rpm
karl walton 21 Jul 2006
In reply to pale ale:
I love this kind of post even though it shows up how poo my thinking is.
When I first read the OP I was sure it would not take off, then around post 150 I changed my mind and now it's gone back again.
I guess the truth is I don't really know.
Letting go is a liberating experience.
Twig 21 Jul 2006
In reply to karl walton: It would be fun finding out! Ah, one for the mythbusters - the joy of discovery channel
irving 21 Jul 2006
In reply to karl walton: Plus we now need another Internet acronym:

IANAP (I Am Not A Physicist)...
 rallymania 21 Jul 2006
In reply to Enigma:
i won't argue with your point at all as i'm one of the it will take off ers, just that pulling the stick back at 100kph IAS on a 747 will have absolutely no effect, 100kph, is what 60mph? you'd only just get the little cessna i'm learning to fly in wheels light at that speed
Vr (take off speed) on most comercial jets is i believe at least 120Knts or there abouts which is quite a bit more, but i expect the rest of your caluculations are just as valid, just time to Vr would be longer that's all.
Enigma 21 Jul 2006
In reply to rallymania:

My appologies for the innacuracy of my calculations. They still work though, no matter what the speed (it was easy to use 100's for everything, to work out rpm of wheels etc!)
In reply to Richard:

> No it won't. Try it with a ball - no friction involved. The ball still falls off the back of the treadmill, because of angular inertia (the effort required to accelerate its spin).

Surely if there's no friction involved at all, the ball will sit motionless on the spinning treadmill, a bit like pulling a table cloth out from a laid table?
 rallymania 21 Jul 2006
In reply to Enigma:
sorry i didn't mean to sound picky... the end result is as you pointed out that the plane will take off unless the convyer belt can some how through some amazing feat of physics, generate enough friction to counteract all the thrust from those wopping great engines.
THE PLANE TAKES OFF, CASE CLOSED.... now please go outside and go climbing
 Steve Parker 21 Jul 2006
In reply to Enigma:
> (In reply to Steve Parker)
>
> The answer is that the aircraft takes off, although not vertically, as your post suggests.
>
Yes, I know. I just dropped in briefly before I thought about it. It's pretty obvious really, but for some reason I thought the wheels were driving the plane while on the ground. Duh, clearly not. I wonder if there is any motive power in the undercarriage at all, just for small manouevres on the apron or something. Anyway, that's a different issue altogether.
Yorkspud 21 Jul 2006
In reply to pale ale:

I am never going on a conveyor belt again.
Damian L 21 Jul 2006
hahahahahaha

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...