UKC

Hardest ever solo?

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 Phil79 08 Sep 2023

Dear UKC Hivemind

After watching an insta clip of Alain Robert soloing an 8b way back in 1991, I was idly wondering what the hardest confirmed solo grade is? Dave Mac soloed an 8c somewhere didn't he?

Has anyone ever done a 9a?

Did a quick search here but couldn't find a definitive answer...

Phil

Edit - thinking about hardest technical grade here (i.e. short sport/trad routes) rather than long/impressive/high stamina fests. 

Post edited at 14:39
 Lhod 08 Sep 2023
In reply to Phil79:

Yep, Dave Mac soloed Darwin Dixit which was 8c at the time and I think (?) downgraded to 8b+ since.

I don't know of any harder solos but I expect 8c-8c+ will have been soloed before, will watch the thread with interest! 

remus Global Crag Moderator 08 Sep 2023
In reply to Lhod:

> Google says 8c, any advances?

I believe this has been downgraded to 8b after a few repeats. [1]

Jorge Diaz-Rullo has soloed an 8c called La Pequeña Mowgli in Siurana which as far as Im aware is generally considered 8c. I believe it's relatively short so maybe not in the same ball park as other solos. [2]

Depending on how you're counting solos some of the bishop highball stuff may be worth considering. For example, Daniel Wood's gave his bishop FA The Process 8C+ and described it as 8B in to 8B in to 7C+, which if you do some very dodgy grades maths works out somewhere around 9a or 9b.

Alex Huber usually comes up in these conversations too. He soloed an 8b+ called Kommunist in 2004. [3]

It's not as hard in absolute terms of some of the other ascents mentioned, but Beat Kammelander's ascent of Mordillo 8a+ at Voralpse always struck me as pretty wild. "90 moves without a rest" so the legend goes, not a good place to get pumped. [4]

[1] https://www.8a.nu/crags/sportclimbing/italy/pizarra/sectors/pizarra/routes/...

[2] https://climbing-history.org/climb/1826/la-peque%C3%B1a-mowgli

[3] https://climbing-history.org/climb/1113/kommunist

[4] https://climbing-history.org/climb/1243/mordillo

Post edited at 15:28
In reply to Phil79:

Revelations (8b)

Revelations was soloed back in 1985. It’s worth a read:

https://www.ukclimbing.com/articles/features/antoine_le_menestrels_diary_so...]

Post edited at 16:24
 Michael Gordon 08 Sep 2023
In reply to Phil79:

As for tech grades it's going to be around British 7a, but it's going to be a lot more meaningful to talk in terms of sport grades, hence the replies above.

Removed User 08 Sep 2023

I believe Darwin Dixit and Revelations both have the crux relatively close to the ground with (much) easier climbing above. The grade alone probably does not say it all.

I think you it would be hard to argue that the the hardest solo is anything other than Alex Honnold on El Cap.

In reply to Removed UserMGRT:

> I think you it would be hard to argue that the the hardest solo is anything other than Alex Honnold on El Cap.

I think it's hard to compare big multipirch solos with shorter single pitch solos. I'm pretty sure Alex Huber wouldn't have soloed free rider, and I'm pretty sure Honnold wouldn't solo Kommunist, so which is harder? 

Also worthy of consideration on the big multipitch solos is Hansjorg Auer's solo of The Fish on the Marmolada. Super techy 7b+ crux in the middle of a massive mountain face, and with minimal practice.

Post edited at 17:14
 Michael Gordon 08 Sep 2023

Basically there are some extremely impressive single pitch soloes, and some completely mind boggling big route soloes, of which Honnold's is one of the most out there, but by no means alone in that respect.

In reply to Christheclimber:

> Revelations was soloed back in 1985. It’s worth a read:

Worth bearing in mind that the route has changed a bit over the years due to holds getting worse. I forget the exact timeline, but I think it was generally considered 8a+ when Antoine le Menstrel soloed. Still an incredibly impressive ascent mind.

artif 08 Sep 2023
In reply to Phil79:

Follow Robert on f* ***k, the pictures of his barefoot solos in the verdon are incredible

HeMa 08 Sep 2023
In reply to Phil79:

As said, gradewise 8c seems to be the hardest. But the other got downgraded (Darwin Dixit) and it seems that the other is also hard near the start.

Huberts solo is a tad different, in the sense it is hard and insecure pretty much from start to finish. And those routes don’t get climbed much (because they are nails).

it should also be noted that Huber climbed these when he climbed his hardest FA, which he graded only 8c IIRC… And if I’n not messing my memory too much, Ondra repeated that line (weisse rose?) only a few years ago, staring it should be upgraded.

Neil Foster Global Crag Moderator 08 Sep 2023
In reply to remus:

> Worth bearing in mind that the route has changed a bit over the years due to holds getting worse. I forget the exact timeline, but I think it was generally considered 8a+ when Antoine le Menstrel soloed. Still an incredibly impressive ascent mind.

Forget the grade - just consider that when Anthoine soloed Revelations, it was generally regarded as the hardest sport climb in the country!

I remember being aghast when I was told…

Neil

Iamgregp 09 Sep 2023
In reply to remus:

> I think it's hard to compare big multipirch solos with shorter single pitch solos. I'm pretty sure Alex Huber wouldn't have soloed free rider, and I'm pretty sure Honnold wouldn't solo Kommunist, so which is harder? 

Fair point, but the answer is surely Free Rider. How long do you think it would take Honnold to get comfortable enough on Kommunist to solo it vs how long it would take Huber to solo free rider?

profitofdoom 09 Sep 2023
In reply to Iamgregp:

How about The Axe (E4 6a) on Cloggy? Soloed by Jimmy Jewell. Not a route you would like to fall off unroped. Not the hardest ever solo but it is pretty far out there 

Post edited at 10:35
 DaveHK 09 Sep 2023

> The grade alone probably does not say it all.

This. As you say the position of the crux and what follows is important but also the nature of the climbing. There are hard routes with positive climbing that would be relatively straightforward solos. Then there are the sketchy ones that you could pop off which make much more impressive solos even if the grade is lower.

Post edited at 10:43
 Lankyman 09 Sep 2023
In reply to profitofdoom:

> How about The Axe (E4 6a) on Cloggy? Soloed by Jimmy Jewell. Not a route you would like to fall off unroped. Not the hardest ever solo but it is pretty far out there 

I've often wondered about the 'death routes', the really serious ones where the gear is pretty much illusory and to fall is to die. On the face of it, it would be easier to solo but the psychological effect of a few bits of rubbish pro must be the deciding factor in having a go.

skelf 09 Sep 2023

Didn’t Ian Parnell solo Bugsy (E6 6a) and Big Black at Northcott in Cornwall? Not amazingly hard, but I’ve top roped Bugsy and it’s amazingly snappy!

HeMa 09 Sep 2023
In reply to Iamgregp:

I would say that Honnold doing Kommunist is perhaps sligthly more propable than Huber doing Freerider.

that being said, the probability of either happening… is slim to none.

Andrew Wells 09 Sep 2023

Hansjörg Auer on The Fish

lowersharpnose 09 Sep 2023
In reply to Lankyman:

A related question is "What is the hardest route that anyone has died on?".

Have there been any deaths on 'chop' routes?

I know E4 has seen at least one fatality.

Enty 09 Sep 2023
In reply to Phil79:

I often think about the "most impressive solo". 

Here's a few of my favourites:

Honnold - El Cap
Hansjörg Auer - The Fish
Croft - Astroman
Dave Thomas - Lord

E

65 09 Sep 2023
In reply to Enty:

Yep.

Marc-Andre-Leclerc: Central Buttress, SCNL (and so much else)

Andy Parkin: Lots in the Alps and Patagonia

Charlie Fowler: Harlin Route

Stevie Haston: Walker in winter.

There must be loads of alpine solos (Berhault for one) that are gobsmacking in terms of length and commitment as well as difficulty. 

Iamgregp 09 Sep 2023
In reply to HeMa:

Absolutely, all completely hypothetical as I don’t think either of them have any intention of doing these.

To be honest I doubt anyone in the word has any realistic intentions to solo Free Rider?

j_duds 09 Sep 2023
In reply to remus:

Wow and crazy! These 2 videos in these links made my hands sweat, particularly that last film of Kammelander on Mordillo. 

Dave Orsman 09 Sep 2023
In reply to Phil79:

The Fly in Rumney is 14c/d, so 8c+?. Super short sport route that gets soloed above pads. Still has a lead grade, not a V grade.

Mike-W-99 09 Sep 2023
In reply to Phil79:

What about Julian Lines on Hold Fast, Hold True.

Dr Toph 09 Sep 2023
In reply to Phil79:

As devil's advocate, Possibly worth a mention, just to broaden the spectrum, of Grant Gardener on Reticent Wall? Fairly unlikely that either Honnold or Huber are queuing up for this one...

Reticent Wall (A5)

Moacs 09 Sep 2023
In reply to Dr Toph:

> As devil's advocate, Possibly worth a mention, just to broaden the spectrum, of Grant Gardener on Reticent Wall? Fairly unlikely that either Honnold or Huber are queuing up for this one...

I think it's been done at least three times...and I'd expect the "hardest" to be unrepeated yet?

Moacs 09 Sep 2023
In reply to TMM:

> This is out there in 1989.

I remember that getting reported and thinking "wow".  Apparently he took a sling to clip the belay at end of P1 of Caveman, but found it was too short, so couldn't get a rest and just had to press on. Wild.

gooberman-hill 09 Sep 2023
In reply to profitofdoom:

What about Phil Davidson's solo of Right Wall on the poster.

Rumour has it that after completing the crux, he called over to the photographer, enquiring if he had enough shots, or whether he would like another take, in which case he would reverse the crux and do it again, but more slowly!

Legend!

Pedro50 09 Sep 2023
In reply to gooberman-hill:

> What about Phil Davidson's solo of Right Wall on the poster.

> Rumour has it that after completing the crux, he called over to the photographer, enquiring if he had enough shots, or whether he would like another take, in which case he would reverse the crux and do it again, but more slowly!

> Legend!

I believe the solo for photos was after the original solo, still impressive of course.

Removed User 09 Sep 2023
In reply to Phil79:

Hardest on-sight solo would be an interesting one to know the answer to. London Wall a known example (Honnold), and would have thought there must/would be other routes of similar stature done in this style? Not that I can name any.

Andy Say 09 Sep 2023
In reply to Phil79:

Probably 'the solo with the highest technical grade' was what you were after?

Buhl on Nanga Parbat....?

TomYoung 10 Sep 2023
In reply to Removed UserRevenge of the Path:

Believe Shane Only has onsight soloed E7 in Cornwall, unsure of exact route though.

Removed User 10 Sep 2023
In reply to TomYoung:

Think that might have been a new route as well?

Guess - rather than hardest/highest grade - I meant 'most impressive', i.e. quite a few/lot of E7s (+the odd E8) which don't have any gear/are by their nature solos will have been done in this style, but big/well-protected E5s and E6s maybe less so? 

Be interesting to know what Julian Lines has done. 

alan moore 10 Sep 2023

> Be interesting to know what Julian Lines has done. 

All listed in his book. It's mind boggling.

Removed User 10 Sep 2023
In reply to alan moore:

Ah, yeah. I've always been slightly unnerved - a bit scared, even - by the prospect of reading that one. Might have to give it a go. 

ripper 10 Sep 2023
In reply to gooberman-hill:

Moffatt's solo day on the Cromlech, which included Right Wall and several solo descents of Ivy Sepulchre IIRC, remains impressive to me, but in UK terms at least I also suspect the true answer is something by J Lines

alan moore 10 Sep 2023
In reply to ripper:

> in UK terms at least I also suspect the true answer is something by J Lines

Sounds like a lot of these were actual solos as well. Driving to the crag alone, climbing alone!

morpcat 10 Sep 2023

> Hardest on-sight solo would be an interesting one to know the answer to. London Wall a known example (Honnold), and would have thought there must/would be other routes of similar stature done in this style? Not that I can name any.

I have vague recollections of him onsight soloing something very hard indeed in Ireland.. anyone recall?

Edit: a quick Google suggests The Complete Scream E8 6b

Post edited at 19:34
 Mike D 10 Sep 2023
In reply to morpcat:

Whilst mega impressive, for what it's worth AH's solo of The Complete Scream in 2016 wasn't onsight. Me & my pal were on the E2 to the right when he ab'd it. He pulled off some loose holds (including a big hollow flake) and I think hung about practising some moves but, most memorably, when he was level with my pal who was having a bit of a hard time on the first pitch of our route, glanced over and remarked drily, "That'd be 5.8 in Yosemite!" 

GrahamD 10 Sep 2023
In reply to Phil79:

My nomination would go to Auer on the Marmolada, maybe 15 years ago.

morpcat 10 Sep 2023
In reply to Mike D:

Thanks for the clarification!

climbercool 11 Sep 2023
In reply to Phil79:

In a hypothetical universe where I was a 9a climber (like honnold and mcleod) I feel like I'd rather have a go at a 7c+ multipitch rather than an 8c short single pitch.  If you can climb 8c+ 9a you should be feeling pretty comfortable on 7c+.  My max redpoint is 8a+ and I think if I had a gun to my head i would much much rather  solo a massive 7a rather than solo a short 7c+, it would be dropping the same number of grade as what these soloists have.

Darron 11 Sep 2023
In reply to Mike D:

I have sympathy with his view. A couple of months after doing Left Wall (E2 5c) OK I found Braille Book (5.8) really hard going.

Toccata 11 Sep 2023
In reply to Phil79:

Mark Leach on Sean's Roof in 1995 (I think) F8b+

Alfredo Webber Panem et Circenses F8c

In reply to climbercool:

> In a hypothetical universe where I was a 9a climber (like honnold and mcleod) I feel like I'd rather have a go at a 7c+ multipitch rather than an 8c short single pitch.  If you can climb 8c+ 9a you should be feeling pretty comfortable on 7c+.  

Depends entirely on style. Secure but physical short and very hard thing with a low crux. Or long thing with easier but insecure moves high up. I know what I'd choose.

Post edited at 15:02

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...