UKC

Your Local Crag

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
uriel 01 Jan 2005
Where's you local crag?
How often do you frequent it?

Uriel
goodwin912 01 Jan 2005
In reply to uriel:

a few in the county round me. nothing local though, all about 45mins drive. But i usually grace the rocks at kyloe and bowden doors once or twice a week.
 Smelly Fox 01 Jan 2005
In reply to uriel:
The Pass of Ballater, deeside, scotland. whenever the weather is not good, Im not working or Im not in the bigger hills.
In reply to uriel: The Wiltons aand Pex Hill are both about 25 mins away. Regular Pex user in summer.
Justin 01 Jan 2005
In reply to uriel: Tunbridge Wells, not that often really.
 andy 01 Jan 2005
In reply to uriel: Live within 15 minutes (including the walk) of Crookrise and eastby - Crookers more often than eastby - done most of what I can do there, bouldering/soloing better at Crookrise.
 Alan Stark 01 Jan 2005
In reply to uriel:

Nearest crag is Denham Quarry

Must visit it more often when the monsoon stops, to do some essential cleaning of some of the less popular mid grade routes that have become sadly neglected.
 craig h 01 Jan 2005
In reply to uriel:

Den Lane is a 10 min walk, within 10 mins with the car can get to Rough Nab, Packhorse Quarry, Upperwood Quarry and the Standedge bouldering.
Tend to use Pule Hill, Hobson Moor and the Standing Stones as local crags as the climbing is better and can reach all the crags in 20 mins from home.
Den Lane I visit as often as I have to, good for a quick traverse and remember that the other crags in the Chew are worth the walk.
 TN 01 Jan 2005
In reply to uriel:

Stannington Ruffs! A mere 3 minute walk. Lucky us, eh?
Next is Rivelin - a tad better but a massive 30 minute walk...
Bell Hagg perhaps 35 minutes walk, but we've never actually climbed there.
And if we get the car out - well, anything's possible... (Well, anything in the Peak anyway!)
What an awful place to live!
 NickJH 02 Jan 2005
In reply to Alan Stark:
Denham is also my local quarry, although Hoghton closer still-but that will need some major cleaning and an access agreement that lasts for more than one month a year if its potential is to be recognised once again.
I'll certainly help out if you are thinking of cleaning some lines at Denham. Good work was done last year in cleaning Egerton and I know local climbers who also do excellent work in cleaning lines at both Wilton and Anglezarke.Drop me an email if you're heading out there - I'm sure we could get a few other volunteers as well.
 Ropeboy 02 Jan 2005
In reply to uriel:

I live on the south side of Sheffield so most of the Peak crags are local, however I tend to got to Burb N most often, got some good circuits there.

J
 Frankie boy 02 Jan 2005
My local crag is basically anywhere on Gower but to be honest, I find it better to put in the hours drive to go to Pembroke or half hour in the other direction to Ogmore.
Leeds Ben 02 Jan 2005
In reply to uriel:
quite a lot of nearish crags including Baildon Bank, Shipley Glen and Hetchell. Of the nearish ones though I mostly climb at Almscliffe or Caley. Adel Crag is only a couple of miles away but I've never been there. By all acounts it's not worth the visit - anyone know it?

I normaly get to one of these crags every week or 2 but haven't climbed since early november due to injury, lack of partners and the whole xmas thing. Getting bored.. must climb soon..!
 The Pylon King 03 Jan 2005
In reply to uriel:

Avon Gorge.

Most of the time i hate it so avoid it.
sometimes i love it - but it takes some persuasion!!!
JJ @ Homeflatland 03 Jan 2005
In reply to uriel:

Avon Gorge. I've climbed so much there that I'm bored of it now, although I haven't really climbed there (with one exception) since the start of the Summer.

I've started exploring the various crags and quarries in the Mendips - it's nice out there like.
 BrianT 03 Jan 2005
In reply to uriel: Burbage is my local crag. I climb there maybe 10 times a year.
 BrianT 03 Jan 2005
In reply to Leeds Ben: I've been to Adel Crag. Like a couple of Brimham pinnacles in the woods. Very green but I found enough entertainment for an evening. The setting is pleasant enough. If a few locals with some brushes set about it, it could be a nice little venue.
 Marcus Tierney 03 Jan 2005
In reply to uriel: My local crag is at Pleasley Vale just outside Mansfield. Its weird its like a Limestone gritstone sandstone, a contradiction I know. Its only small and the rock suspect but I may go and have a go some evenings this year as the traversings good for training. Then again another twenty minutes and I a can be the other side of Chesterfield and then the worlds the bivalve mollusc of my choice !
 Jenn 03 Jan 2005
In reply to uriel:
> Where's you local crag?

The Westway

> How often do you frequent it?

A few times a month - mostly go to the Castle
Yrmenlaf 03 Jan 2005
In reply to uriel:

I have the delights of Kepier Woods. I sometimes walk the dogs past it. Does that count?

I probably think of Crag Willas as my local. It is an hour from the office to the rocks. A divine place on a summer's evening

Y.
 Mike Hall 03 Jan 2005
In reply to uriel: Egerton Quarry less than 5mins walk, Wilton about 10mins drive, Anglezarke about 15mins drive,visit them every week during the summer.
Derek Charles Allen 03 Jan 2005
In reply to uriel:
la mussara, costa daurada. bout 1 or 2 week. bit slack, i know
 Andy Farnell 03 Jan 2005
In reply to uriel: Pex Hill. Go there loads in early spring/summer, not so much at this time of year.

Andy F
harryP 04 Jan 2005
In reply to uriel:

Puig Campana ... Been there once in 9 months!
 hutchm 04 Jan 2005
In reply to uriel:

Goldborough Carr or Windmore End

Not often enough.
FH 04 Jan 2005
In reply to uriel:

Guys cliffe, Whitehouses and Brimham.

too often.
 steve taylor 04 Jan 2005
In reply to uriel:
Lulworth Cove is closest (10 minute drive), and Portland is only 35 minutes drive. Swanage is about 20 minutes, but rarely go there...
5.10 Ken 04 Jan 2005
In reply to uriel:

Avon Gorge.

All the time, the place rocks!
uriel 04 Jan 2005
In reply to uriel:
Penaltta/ morlais / cefyn coed-y-cymmer anywhere on the upper end of s.wales valleys

I'd be quite happy to meet up with folks going there anytime.

Uriel

SidH 04 Jan 2005
In reply to uriel:
Frodsham.
Was pleased to see it in Climber mag this month although as the mag says, its all pretty highball, especially if you've not got a spotter since the routes are overhanging and you need the mat to move about a lot. For this reason I've only ever been there 3 times
 chris melleney 04 Jan 2005
I'm am blessed to be 7 minutes away from Burbage, 12 mins away from Stanage, 11 mins from Lawrencefield, Millstone and Yarncliffe and about 400 yards from The Broadfield!! Any climbers Sheffield for Peak District in the spring let me know...........

SidH 04 Jan 2005
In reply to chris melleney:
bastard
 chris melleney 04 Jan 2005
what can you do eh? (smug mode)
Yorkspud 04 Jan 2005
In reply to uriel:

About 60 seconds away - Heptonstall Quarry
I frequent it less than you would imagine!
BenP 04 Jan 2005
In reply to uriel:

Avon Gorge again, and frequent it a fair bit, though not as much as I used to.

Also consider myself local to some of the east mendip crags (Second home very close by!) and we were there first, so why not?!
 BrianT 04 Jan 2005
In reply to chris melleney:
> I'm am blessed to be 7 minutes away from Burbage, 12 mins away from Stanage, 11 mins from Lawrencefield, Millstone and Yarncliffe and about 400 yards from The Broadfield!!

Me too.

Mooncat 04 Jan 2005
In reply to BrianT:

Pex Hill, bet you're all jealous now.
Climbit 04 Jan 2005
Roaches 45mins monthly/weekly
ceri 04 Jan 2005
In reply to Mooncat: pex hill: not to visit in this season of slime!
 Al Evans 05 Jan 2005
In reply to uriel: Its a 400ft high limestone crag, its 4km long and there are about 20 routes on it at the moment, see High No 265.
Ps, the weather is nearly always perfect for rock climbing.
 Yak 07 Jan 2005
In reply to uriel:

Squamish, BC, about an hour away from Vancouver. go there pretty much every weekend in the summer... but not at this time of the year ...

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...